Vaccinations for Australian cruise ships ?

I note in the news today a cruise ship has been quarantined in the Caribbean due to a measles outbreak on board. 

Do you think the day will come when the cruise lines will require proof of vaccinations before boarding? 

1 minute ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I note in the news today a cruise ship has been quarantined in the Caribbean due to a measles outbreak on board. 

Do you think the day will come when the cruise lines will require proof of vaccinations before boarding? 

Maybe from countries like America which is currently have a Measles epidemic.  

Reminds me of another era when unprotected native populations were almost wiped out when exposed to Europeans.

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Possibly, but it may be like the travel insurance for New Caledonia as well. Is an official edict but no one checks.

I hope not. I'm sure my records for my childhood vaccinations have disappeared long ago.

I really think that's a silly question, sorry. What next, polio, mumps, chicken pox, cholera, etc? Most would know that vaccinations may be recommended or even required (under certain conditions) when visiting some countries but cruise lines? Nah.

58 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I really think that's a silly question, sorry. What next, polio, mumps, chicken pox, cholera, etc? Most would know that vaccinations may be recommended or even required (under certain conditions) when visiting some countries but cruise lines? Nah.

If you read the article it would appear that the measles case came from a crew member and now no one can go ashore  , unless they can show they have been vaccinated , or until the quarantine period finishes.

I'm near enough 75 years young and had Measles as a kid, so I don't need vaccination, how would I get on for a vaccination check? I think there would be a lot of people with the same problem.

If you read the article it would appear that the measles case came from a crew member and now no one can go ashore  , unless they can show they have been vaccinated , or until the quarantine period finishes.

If the crew member had some other contagious disease what then?

When traveling o/s I carry a doctor certificate listing all my vaccinations so this can be a timely reminder for all travelers. I'll have to ask about measles next time I go to my GP.

4 hours ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Easy to foresee it happening, if it became a concern from countries.

It's just an extension of the visa checking they currently do.

2 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

It's not really a cruise ship as such, it's more of a Scientology Retreat for their high end devotees.

L.Ron Hubbard was very fond of cruising. He had his own yacht on the Med. Allegedly with an all female crew.😉

space cadets?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Russell21 said:

I'm near enough 75 years young and had Measles as a kid, so I don't need vaccination, how would I get on for a vaccination check? I think there would be a lot of people with the same problem.

Interesting question - because of something totally unrelated to this conversation 🤔 I needed to find out if I had been vaccinated / or had contracted measles as a child. A simple blood test gave me the answer to the immunity for measles - then I had the written record.

I think this applies to the other contagious childhood diseases. Just ask Dr. 👍

Edited by Porky55
  • Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 12:25 PM, Russell21 said:

Titer test will tell you if you possess the antibodies for diseases in your blood. 

• Thanks 1

On another note - all my current vaccinations, with documents, are available to print in my medical records via MYGOV - I think that’s pretty convenient.

Nothing in my medical records I care about  ( or believe anyone other than Drs can access) !! 🤓

🌹 Rose

• 1 month later...

We travel with a vaccination certificate (it notes all the dates of recent immunizations, e.g. tetanus should be updated every ten years). Just like our passports, Nexus cards, and insurance papers (travel), all those items accompany us on our travels to other countries.    To find out whether you are protected against hepatitis, measles, mumps, rubella, diphtheria, pertussis for example, just get the requisite blood test.  And if you are not protected, get the vaccination and protect yourselves as well as others.  Also, even thought there are of course going to be different strains of influenza each and every year, an updated flu shot is also something we also get.  We also have gotten the shingles  vaccine to boot, 

On 5/3/2019 at 12:25 PM, Russell21 said:

Yep measles mumps chicken pox, all crossed off yonks ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

I am not sure you were lucky or not getting all those diseases when you were younger.

Everyone did, many didn’t even try to quarantine other kids to get it over and done with.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

I got chicken pox in my Forties..... not nice...

So I vote the idea has merit.... but for the mean time it will not happen.

Cheers Don

I had chicken pox when I was only a toddler and I had only a few little spots. My mother had it as an adult and she said it was terrible.

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I had chicken pox when I was only a toddler and I had only a few little spots. My mother had it as an adult and she said it was terrible.

I was 31 when I had it, caught it from the kids. The kids were running around enjoying not going to school, I was laying in bed alternating between thinking I was dying and being frightened I wasn't. Worst feeling I've ever had.