Ketchikan Float Planes Crash

1ANGELCAT

Oh no this is not good. I have a way of knowing were all the HAL ships are every day and says that Volendam is in Ketchikan  today. Just checked Marine Traffic and currently 3 ships are  docked. Coral Princess, Royal Princess and yes the Volendam. Hope for a positive outcome.

Edited by rjbean4

Princess Cruises issued a statement around 30 minutes ago - both planes had Royal Princess passengers. But the statement did not imply the two planes were in contact with each other. One was a private tour the other was booked via Princess. But it does appear from other reports that it was a crash.

Three are confirmed dead by Coast Guard.

Edited by kentuckycruiser

27 minutes ago, leerathje said:

Just heard an update that Princess says 4 passengers and the pilot are deceased.

😢💔

From what I could glean from the updated news stories, 5 are deceased, one is still missing and 10 were hospitalized, one of which is in critical condition and three are in serious condition.  

They were reported as all being passengers of Princess, the Royal Princess and maybe some from the Coral Princess?  Differing reports are coming out ... but definitely, some, if not all were from the Royal Princess.  

Just heartbreaking!!  

Checking back in on this before as mom and I say "Shutting down for the night" (due to our ties to aviation and my dad flying for NWA for 31 years its our way of saying going to bed) this is certainly not what I wanted to hear.

Anxiously awaiting news of who the private tour pilot was and hoping that it wasn’t Michelle from Island Wings.  I know they’re common up there but she flies a Beaver.

Thoughts and prayers to all who were affected by this tragic event.

1 hour ago, zelker said:

Anxiously awaiting news of who the private tour pilot was and hoping that it wasn’t Michelle from Island Wings.  I know they’re common up there but she flies a Beaver.

Thoughts and prayers to all who were affected by this tragic event.

First thing I checked too after hearing the news, as we flew with Michelle on the same type of aircraft, 2 years ago. None of the news items have identified the "smaller 5-seater" plane or the company. Island Wings website seems to be operating as normal, so I'm hoping for the best for her.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, asebastian said:

None of the news items have identified the "smaller 5-seater" plane . . . .

The KTUU article linked above has been updated and it states “A deHavilland Beaver, which Princess called an ‘independent’ air tour, had five people onboard.  Four were Royal Princess cruise passengers, and one was the pilot . . . The other plane, an Otter, was flown by local flightseeing operator Taquan Air. . . The Federal Aviation Administration's Allen Kenitzer says the two planes collided mid-air. The circumstances are unknown. Kenitzer says local authorities say five people were onboard a deHavilland DHC-2 Beaver, and 11 were onboard a de Havilland Otter. . . .”

Praying for all involved. So, so very sad.