Adults Only Beach on CocoCay?

15 minutes ago, myfuzzy said:

But also remember that any activity that may be "adult" oriented...some parents insist that their little snowflakes are always welcome.

Then let the F bombs fly as they may.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here’s what he said, perhaps he misspoke but he did state 1/3 not yet developed.

“The company has been looking at the potential for three-ship calls, Bayley said, which could take the numbers up to 12,000 people a day.

It's a 'pretty large island' and only one-third is developed, he added.”

http://www.seatrade-*****/news/news-headlines/perfect-day-at-cococay-fuels-demand-could-in-future-have-12-000-visitors-day.html

I already provided that link. It apparently, was not convincing enough. 

7 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Here’s what he said, perhaps he misspoke but he did state 1/3 not yet developed.

“The company has been looking at the potential for three-ship calls, Bayley said, which could take the numbers up to 12,000 people a day.

It's a 'pretty large island' and only one-third is developed, he added.”

http://www.seatrade-*****/news/news-headlines/perfect-day-at-cococay-fuels-demand-could-in-future-have-12-000-visitors-day.html

That was in the press briefing about the current project state - prior to opening, and prior to completion of all the construction. It was in the context of how many people the finalized development could hold (talking about total population of passengers up to 3 ships)...not a description of the final acreage. At a different presser, he indicated that once all the work was done (including on-island staff and service facilities...about 2/3 of the land would be utilized...which is shown in that one photo made in the midst of the construction phase. That photo also shows the South Beach facility, those corresponding Cabanas, and beach food service all had not even been started either.

Considering the nature of the $250 million spent to create a beach and water park destination, there certainly is enough land  left to facilitate a private adults-only area...but there has been no word that we've seen indicating that's in the plans anytime soon.

15 minutes ago, rusty nut said:

This might be a better picture.

Coco-Cay-Island-Wayfinding-Bahamas-Featured.thumb.jpg.880162066d00201df0a84ebe0d248355.jpg

Thanks.  That's a good one that shows a finished rendering of the property - including the staff and service facilities towards the middle and left, as well as the pending South Beach area. If the staff and service space was included with that on the right side..you'd see the actual land use space more clearly...but it's spread out as shown. It illustrates about 60% of the total island space will be developed upon completion  (with the green areas the other 40%). Right now..it's about 50/50.

This also shows there would be available space for an Adults-only area adjacent North of the South Beach Club/beach area or else West of the Thrill Waterpark - either one not requiring major added infrastructure to support it.

14 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Thanks.  That's a good one that shows a finished rendering of the property - including the staff and service facilities towards the middle and left, as well as the pending South Beach area. If the staff and service space was included with that on the right side..you'd see the actual land use space more clearly...but it's spread out as shown. It illustrates about 60% of the total island space will be developed upon completion  (with the green areas the other 40%). Right now..it's about 50/50.

This also shows there would be available space for an Adults-only area adjacent North of the South Beach Club/beach area or else West of the Thrill Waterpark - either one not requiring major added infrastructure to support it.

Here's a rendering that simply moves the staff and service facilities locations over next to the completed public Coco Cay areas...and then draws a line between finished (combined) acreage and unfinished...it shows the 60/40 space usage more clearly.  It also demonstrates there would be some good space left for an Adults-only area.

Used Space on Coco Cay.jpg

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

FYI to all, Disney's Castaway Cay has three separate beach areas, and one is adults only called "Serenity Beach"..it is truly remarkable ..hammocks under trees, your own buffet & bar area, restrooms, gorgeous beach..Castaway Cay is 1500 acres vs. 250 for Labadee to give you an idea of it's shear size..I have not been to the new Coco Cay yet ( just the old one 10-12 years ago), but it looks terrific..I know, I know- Disney is so $$$, but their private island ( and I have been to ALL including NCL, HAL, Princess..) is still # 1 ranked for me until I see better..and it is FREE :classic_biggrin:..

Big Al

• Like 2

On 5/13/2019 at 9:52 PM, OCruisers said:

CoCo Cay is a family friendly place so you won't find an adult only place there. 

But......the entire island is family friendly? It would be wonderful to have a small section for adults only. RCCL ships have an adults only solarium so they must be aware of their passenger's needs and wants. Would it be so difficult to carve out a small piece of the pie for an adults only area on the island?

Edited by coffeebean
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

But......the entire island is family friendly? It would be wonderful to have a small section for adults only. RCCL ships have an adults only solarium so they must be aware of their passenger's needs and wants. Would it be so difficult to carve out a small piece of the pie for an adults only area on the island?

As shown in my post with the 60% space allocation above...the space exists. Furthermore...if it was near the South Beach Club area...it would be pretty easy to put the infrastructure there to assure it was an adults-only area.

Edited by CRUISEFAN0001

I think the issue is that unless they can find a way to make $$$ off of an adult area it won't happen. Most adults are just looking for a free lounge chair to sip adult drinks from their deluxe drink package and perhaps read a book. 

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I think the issue is that unless they can find a way to make $$$ off of an adult area it won't happen. Most adults are just looking for a free lounge chair to sip adult drinks from their deluxe drink package and perhaps read a book. 

An adults-only bar alone (exotic drinks, etc. not in the bev package, or having it increasing people getting the bev package itself) could be quite a money maker...but yeah...they's need to figure out how quickly they could recoup the cost. So could some form of "cabana condo" area.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lazydayz said:

Agreed but it would be nice to have an adults only beach area. Maybe they could put the day beds there. I can’t find them for either of my upcoming Perfect Day cruises.,

The beach beds that were on South beach about 200 yards from the floating bar are not offered on the cruise planner yet.  I hope at least not yet.  This will be my 4th consecutive  trip to Coco Cay in the fall and last year the beds were not offered till early August. 

16 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

My ratio of used land space differs from yours, as you missed the island to the left but that really doesn’t matter.

Yes, they can easily add an adults only area.  However, I don’t think they are going to that any time soon, as if one really wanted an adults only area there is the solarium on board which would be practically empty.  

IMO if RC is going to build another area I think they will build a dedicated one for the suites and Pinnacles.  Then they would close the little one that they currently have, if it hasn’t been already.  Considering they already have a suite area at Labadee it is surprising that there is one not here, and frequent RC suite cruisers and Pinnacles will be asking about and for this.

As for infrastructure they would need access to nearby washroom facilities for either circumstance and the possibility of a dedicated kitchen/dining area for a suite area.

14 minutes ago, A&L_Ont said:

My ratio of used land space differs from yours, as you missed the island to the left but that really doesn’t matter.

Yes, they can easily add an adults only area.  However, I don’t think they are going to that any time soon, as if one really wanted an adults only area there is the solarium on board which would be practically empty.  

IMO if RC is going to build another area I think they will build a dedicated one for the suites and Pinnacles.  Then they would close the little one that they currently have, if it hasn’t been already.  Considering they already have a suite area at Labadee it is surprising that there is one not here, and frequent RC suite cruisers and Pinnacles will be asking about and for this.

As for infrastructure they would need access to nearby washroom facilities for either circumstance and the possibility of a dedicated kitchen/dining area for a suite area.

All good points.

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

Right.  Many might like to visit and adult area if it is offered (a la Disney) but wouldn't want to pay an upcharge to do it.  RCCL could consider it, I guess, if they could get the marketing for it from those that have grown up from their Disney cruises and recall liking the option on their island.  It would be a reference line in a promo "or relax on our adult only beach away, get away from it all" that could appeal to adults that find the waterpark an eyesore and are considering other cruiselines with private island stops that are significantly cheaper.  The market that wants the beach, doesn't care about the pool, and willing to tender could be enticed by the idea of a private adult area.

To do it wo an upcharge, if RCCL can even think in those terms, it would need to be fairly inexpensive to create, also like Disney.  Small food area, bar, bathrooms and a tram ride out there away from the crowds, not that hard to staff, just beach, loungers and umbrellas.  Maybe it could be an area where they didn't need to rip down many trees and could be an escape for those who liked the simplier Coco Cay. The largest draw would be "no kids" which isn't expensive.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SAmome said:

Right.  Many might like to visit and adult area if it is offered (a la Disney) but wouldn't want to pay an upcharge to do it.  RCCL could consider it, I guess, if they could get the marketing for it from those that have grown up from their Disney cruises and recall liking the option on their island.  It would be a reference line in a promo "or relax on our adult only beach away, get away from it all" that could appeal to adults that find the waterpark an eyesore and are considering other cruiselines with private island stops that are significantly cheaper.  The market that wants the beach, doesn't care about the pool, and willing to tender could be enticed by the idea of a private adult area.

To do it wo an upcharge, if RCCL can even think in those terms, it would need to be fairly inexpensive to create, also like Disney.  Small food area, bar, bathrooms and a tram ride out there away from the crowds, not that hard to staff, just beach, loungers and umbrellas.  Maybe it could be an area where they didn't need to rip down many trees and could be an escape for those who liked the simplier Coco Cay. The largest draw would be "no kids" which isn't expensive.

Unfortunately annoying kid’s tugging on Mom and Dad’s arm wanting all the extras $$ trumps a bunch of adults who only want to relax their body and wallet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, myfuzzy said:

I would LOVE anywhere --adults only--child free, be able to dress or undress freely without having to remain "modest", speak freely without having to watch out for any "F" bombs that may escape (I really don"t use that word), drink alcohol freely (but not drink myself silly).  However, business' don't want to "offend" any guest, so they will opt to please the majority.  But also remember that any activity that may be "adult" oriented...some parents insist that their little snowflakes are always welcome.

Pretty enlightening comment. This ^^^^ sounds like exactly the type of parenting technique that results in the bahaviour of so many of those kids people hate disrupting their day. 

On 5/14/2019 at 12:02 AM, Mikew0805 said:

It's not hard to imagine there would be one at some point. There is an adults only Solarium on most of the ships, and the RCI is family friendly. the still have a large portion of the island that can be developed.

On 5/14/2019 at 7:33 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Actually...there's not much unused space left once you consider the staff quarters and service building facilities that occupy most of the island outside of the recently-developed public Coco Cay areas.

2 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Here's a rendering that simply moves the staff and service facilities locations over next to the completed public Coco Cay areas...and then draws a line between finished (combined) acreage and unfinished...it shows the 60/40 space usage more clearly.  It also demonstrates there would be some good space left for an Adults-only area.

I'm glad we finally agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

I agree that they would likely build a suite/pinnacle area at some point. Maybe.. some day far, far away... I will sail in a suite. Turning Pinnacle, is just not something that I can see happening. 

• Like 1

I really don't see a need for a adult only area on the beach.  People are pretty much spread out, and have never had issues with kids.  On the ship I do partake of the Solarium, however the ship is a more compact space, thus kids are more of an annoyance if they are being rambunctious 

3 hours ago, Mikew0805 said:

I agree that they would likely build a suite/pinnacle area at some point. Maybe.. some day far, far away... I will sail in a suite. Turning Pinnacle, is just not something that I can see happening. 

I think the decision will be made sometime after the pay for use Private Beach Club is finished.  For some reason I tend to think that this won't be utilized they way RC hopes and that it will become the Suite/Pinnacle area.  It will take a while for them to reflect upon the revenue stream or lack there of, once it is open to make that decision.

Edited by A&L_Ont
  • Like 1

I would pay for an adults only, if it was a reasonable fee.  $20 per person or so.

And a truly adults only, children NOT admitted.

Allowing topless sunbathing would a be plus.  And may even bump the amount I would pay. 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2