What price per day is good cruise value

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

And a decent price too at $155pp for a balcony.

Booked a long way out! 🙄

We engaged a few TA's prior to RCCL deployment with exactly what we wanted: deck9, midship, away from lifts, 1D cabin category, port side etc.  So in fact we were sort of booked before pricing was even available. Then all we did was just wait for the quotes to roll in and take our pick of best deal for us.

Having watched Hawaii-Sydney TP pricing on Ovation for a couple of years.  The prices keep fluctuating but always on an upward curve.  I couldn't be happier with this strategy.

Should have mentioned that using this technique we also got quoted for quad share balcony at less than $100 pp/night.  But the boys are a bit big now to share a sofa bed, let alone with another 18 months growth.

18 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Remember too that there can be a pretty big jump from a guarantee to a top category cabin.

in insider OV, Balcony, Suite, whatever.

I always get a cabin number, no pot luck with a guarantee.

21 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Me too Uncle Les, especially now I need accessible, but even before that, we were pick and stick, one hint, if you really need, say Midship (as we do) look for the first cabin in mid aft or mid forward, it can save a fair chunk of change from memory near enough to $1000 on our circumnavigation cruise.

I always like to pick my cabin, because I always have to book 2 cabins very close together because I cruise with my kids. (Dont have to be connecting)

I often get an interier with a balcony across the passage, but looking at comments and based on the quotes, it makes sense to go with 2 balconies. They are on deck 12, which is what I requested, next to each other, near the back of the ship. 1 x triple and 1 x double cabin. Worked out to $217 per night per person. I think that is reasonable as it is on Ovation during school holidays, and over Easter.

41 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

I always like to pick my cabin, because I always have to book 2 cabins very close together because I cruise with my kids. (Dont have to be connecting)

I often get an interier with a balcony across the passage, but looking at comments and based on the quotes, it makes sense to go with 2 balconies. They are on deck 12, which is what I requested, next to each other, near the back of the ship. 1 x triple and 1 x double cabin. Worked out to $217 per night per person. I think that is reasonable as it is on Ovation during school holidays, and over Easter.

When you think about $217 a day is a cheap holiday.Thats accomodation,food,entertainment,transport.

There’s a divider on the balcony’s that can be opened,ask the cabin attendant to open it.

its a bit of a walk from the back of the ship to the rear elevators!!

Book everything on your cruise planner as soon as possible because things like North Star and the ifly fill up quickly.

Edited by Chiliburn

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Me too Uncle Les, especially now I need accessible, but even before that, we were pick and stick, one hint, if you really need, say Midship (as we do) look for the first cabin in mid aft or mid forward, it can save a fair chunk of change from memory near enough to $1000 on our circumnavigation cruise.

Yes we do the same - try to book one of the first cabins in mid aft or mid forward. Those mid aft ones can be closer to the lifts than some midship cabins as well and cheaper.

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Yes we do the same - try to book one of the first cabins in mid aft or mid forward. Those mid aft ones can be closer to the lifts than some midship cabins as well and cheaper.

Leigh

Mrs Gut really needs mid ship, but how does one cabin off matter, three or four can become an issue for her.

10 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

When you think about $217 a day is a cheap holiday.Thats accomodation,food,entertainment,transport.

If for one, sure.

For 5 though, not so much. That's $1085/day. You can certainly have a cheaper holiday than that pretty easily, including covering those 4 elements.

6 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

If for one, sure.

For 5 though, not so much. That's $1085/day. You can certainly have a cheaper holiday than that pretty easily, including covering those 4 elements.

Five people to fly to New Zealand,

hire two cars ,

two motel rooms,

eat out for breakfast ,lunch and dinner ( that could be $1000 in Queenstown)

go out and see some shows and a movie 

AND THE STRESS.

I think it’s good value.

Edited by Chiliburn

Interesting topic.....

I have look at this from the other way pick a particularly cabin.. on princess then compare cost per day

on Australian cruises  first longer cruises and some time cheaper per day than shorter one...

some destinations ( ie islands over NZ ) NZ is cheaper.....

then right round Australia    wow    very dear per day   ..compare to other cruises

I feel it is a difficult to compare cost per days,  with different cabin and cruise lines...

Cheers Don

6 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Interesting topic.....

I have look at this from the other way pick a particularly cabin.. on princess then compare cost per day

on Australian cruises  first longer cruises and some time cheaper per day than shorter one...

some destinations ( ie islands over NZ ) NZ is cheaper.....

then right round Australia    wow    very dear per day   ..compare to other cruises

I feel it is a difficult to compare cost per days,  with different cabin and cruise lines...

Cheers Don

I noticed the distance the ship has to travel seems to be a big factor,I suppose the fuel they burn ,can be tonnes per hour.

Can you imagine the fuel to go around Australia 

I think cruising is great value, about 18 months ago Mrs Gut had a fairly significant birthday, I priced it up and it cost us way less to do a two night cruise than to head down to the Big Smoke, have two nights in a moderate hotel, two of each meal and a show at Ros Packer theatre (so nothing too fancy) add onto that the fact I could get all the Diet Coke I could drink for about $15 a day, cf to $3 each on land, and it was winner, winner, without needing to buy a chicken dinner.

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I noticed the distance the ship has to travel seems to be a big factor,I suppose the fuel they burn ,can be tonnes per hour.

Can you imagine the fuel to go around Australia 

Actually I find the opposite longer cruises seem to be less per day than shorter ones.

4 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

I think cruising is great value, about 18 months ago Mrs Gut had a fairly significant birthday, I priced it up and it cost us way less to do a two night cruise than to head down to the Big Smoke, have two nights in a moderate hotel, two of each meal and a show at Ros Packer theatre (so nothing too fancy) add onto that the fact I could get all the Diet Coke I could drink for about $15 a day, cf to $3 each on land, and it was winner, winner, without needing to buy a chicken dinner.

I totally agree with you.

I have looked into various other land based holidays at that time, even local holidays, and considering I am a family of 5 so need 2 hotel rooms, 5 flight tickets, large car hire, and all the meals and entertainment for 5 people, cruising is by far the most economical way for me to go.

I have decided to go with this booking and emailed the TA this morning to arrange my deposit.

Going to be my first time on Ovation. I'm really looking forward to experiencing such a huge ship.

25 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

$100 per day pp (inside) $150 pp balcony per day. That my guide if good deal. If it falls less. Winner winner. 

But is that during school holiday time.

I can only book a cruise around school holidays and I have never found a cruise at those times for those prices.

11 minutes ago, DT1304 said:

But is that during school holiday time.

I can only book a cruise around school holidays and I have never found a cruise at those times for those prices.

You probably won't as that peak time for cruiselines. 

31 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

You probably won't as that peak time for cruiselines. 

Not only peak times ,but times of high demand.

Heres is an interesting extract from a travel newsletter received this week,...not seen this before.

***UPDATE NOTIFICATION***

DUE TO THE OVERWHELMING RESPONSE TO THIS PROMOTION P&O CRUISES HAVE RISEN PRICES ON THE FOLLOWING CRUISES ONLY:

12TH MAY 2020: FIJI & TONGA (10 NIGHTS)

2ND JUNE 2020: BOUNTY DISCOVERY (10 NIGHTS)

5TH AUGUST 2020: DISCOVER VANUATU (10 NIGHTS)

37 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Not only peak times ,but times of high demand.

Heres is an interesting extract from a travel newsletter received this week,...not seen this before.

***UPDATE NOTIFICATION***

DUE TO THE OVERWHELMING RESPONSE TO THIS PROMOTION P&O CRUISES HAVE RISEN PRICES ON THE FOLLOWING CRUISES ONLY:

12TH MAY 2020: FIJI & TONGA (10 NIGHTS)

2ND JUNE 2020: BOUNTY DISCOVERY (10 NIGHTS)

5TH AUGUST 2020: DISCOVER VANUATU (10 NIGHTS)

Probably something to do with the dropping $AU

This neck of the woods will be very attractive for overseas visitors 

We also like to stay around $100 to $150 per day p/p, thankfully we dont need to travel in school holidays, happy with insides in a good location, but know if we travel holiday time or on Ovation/Majestic/Solstice prices will usually be higher per night.

I just got our Carnival Splendor cruise down to $88 p/n for an Oceanview😀, it was $1000 cheaper each than we had originally booked an inside! The window on a lower deck doesnt phase me but a sofa and extra space will be nice!

To the OP, you will love the Ovation, we paid more per night for an 8 night cruise to Tassie on it, but loved the ship, so beautifully decorated and that Adult Only Solarium is just heavenly😍

3 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

Agree Mr Gut. We almost accidentally fell into cruising. When DW & I married in 1981, we 'lashed out' and had a week on Brampton Is for our honeymoon. Ever the romantic 🙂, I wanted to make a special celebration for or 30th Anniversary in 2011. Originally I planned to re-visit Brampton Is, until I saw the cost!!!

Changed to an 11N RCI Rhapsody QLD cruise which went thru Barrier Reef, so close to original honeymoon. at a fraction of the cost. Just looked it up again and total cruise-fare, including pre-paid grats was $1631 pp - for 11 nights!!!

Have now completed 17 cruises & still find them the best value & most convenient holidays. Our tastes have risen, so now mostly balconies, so upwards of maybe $200 per night pp. That said, for our recent (Jan) Radiance 10N NZ cruise cost was $1444 pp, so $144 per night, and our upcoming (Mar '20) Voyager 10N (Pacific) is again $144 pp per night - both balconies. Couldn't get a hotel in Sydney for $288 per night!

1 hour ago, cheznandy said:

We also like to stay around $100 to $150 per day p/p, thankfully we dont need to travel in school holidays, happy with insides in a good location, but know if we travel holiday time or on Ovation/Majestic/Solstice prices will usually be higher per night.

I just got our Carnival Splendor cruise down to $88 p/n for an Oceanview😀, it was $1000 cheaper each than we had originally booked an inside! The window on a lower deck doesnt phase me but a sofa and extra space will be nice!

To the OP, you will love the Ovation, we paid more per night for an 8 night cruise to Tassie on it, but loved the ship, so beautifully decorated and that Adult Only Solarium is just heavenly😍

You can get some really good value on Carnival if you book about 3 to 4 months out from sailing. 

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2019 at 11:39 AM, NSWP said:

Just got a visit from the upgrade fairy on a Guarantee cabin, we are at the top of the category now.