Johnny Rockets - disappointed

26 minutes ago, brillohead said:

I'm lost... you said if it was free it would have a line.  The hot dog place doesn't have a line, and it's free.

You do know Jonny Rockets is a sit down concept, food made to order, with table service, right? Just a tad different than a guy at a counter tossing a pre cooked hot dog on a bun. 

2 minutes ago, BNBR said:

You do know Jonny Rockets is a sit down concept, food made to order, with table service, right? Just a tad different than a guy at a counter tossing a pre cooked hot dog on a bun. 

It's still not any "better" than the hot dog counter.

Maybe back in the day when it was brand new, but it's nothing special these days, and definitely wouldn't have a line even if it was free.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Isn't the same thing true for lunch in the MDR on sea days...sit down service, food made to order.  Is there a line for that?

Edited by time4u2go
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, brillohead said:

It's still not any "better" than the hot dog counter.

Maybe back in the day when it was brand new, but it's nothing special these days, and definitely wouldn't have a line even if it was free.

That's your opinion. I find it substantially better than the dog house as I'm sure most people would. 

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Isn't the same thing true for lunch in the MDR on sea days...sit down service, food made to order.

It's as if you didn't read my previous comment. 

On the Harmony went into Johnny Rockets and asked about it. I was told. One price and you can eat anything whatever you want as long as you stay in the restaurant. Did not mention the Milk Shakes or any drinks at all. Now I see the price has increased a lot. We were on the Harmony February 2018 and loved it. We never figured we would.

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

On the Harmony went into Johnny Rockets and asked about it. I was told. One price and you can eat anything whatever you want as long as you stay in the restaurant. Did not mention the Milk Shakes or any drinks at all. Now I see the price has increased a lot. We were on the Harmony February 2018 and loved it. We never figured we would.

We like it, too. But they are definitely pricing us out of our comfort zone with it. I think $7.95 - $9.95 is the magic number. Beyond that we are much more likely to skip.  Would be nice if included in the dining package! 

On 6/4/2019 at 7:25 AM, Iamcruzin said:

I agree with your logic. However there is just so much people are willing to pay for fast food. A few years ago Celebrity attempted to swap our the free burgers by the pool with a pay for burger that was claimed to have been made from Kobe beef. They tried it on one ship and it didn't go over. As a matter of fact there was an uproar on Cruise Critic. I think they were charging $15.  These pay for restaurants are a big attraction for those who come from a rural area and don't have a lot of choices at home and think that mall chain restaurants are the bomb. The worst critics are those of us from big cities. I'm surprised that Cheese Cake Factory hasn't made an appearance as an up-charge restaurant on a cruise ship. 

Yes, I remember the Mast Grill debacle on CruiseCritic... did not sail during this time, but on Reflection in November they were free again.  I did not try them (not a big burger fan) but my kids sure seemed to think they were great.  I can't imagine the utter lunacy of a poolside (ok, adjacent) burger and fries stand asking $10 or $15 per person.  Like I'm going to pay $45 to get my husband and 4 and 7 year old kids hamburgers at the pool? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it really depends on the ship and who is cooking.  I had a terrible experience years ago when the burger was so very salty or overdone  that we thru them away. Last month we we on Navigator and the burgers were extraordinary. Went back a couple more times. 

I just got off Anthem. On a 9 day cruise I only saw two people at Johnny's all week.  With that said I can understand why someone would pay for a burger. I had 2 burgers, one in Windjammer and one on Labadee both of them were disgusting. They were wet. I think they boil them.

When we cruised on Anthem Christmas ‘18, JR seemed empty every time I walked by it. And I am one of those that raves about Guy’s; can’t understand from a business standpoint how RCL would choose to counter one of Carnival’s only competitive advantages with a pricey and what sounds like quite average experience. Having said that, we are looking forward to our JR perk that comes with our Boardwalk balcony on Harmony in 50 days, 

On 6/9/2019 at 5:21 PM, the_dylaness said:

Yes, I remember the Mast Grill debacle on CruiseCritic... did not sail during this time, but on Reflection in November they were free again.  I did not try them (not a big burger fan) but my kids sure seemed to think they were great.  I can't imagine the utter lunacy of a poolside (ok, adjacent) burger and fries stand asking $10 or $15 per person.  Like I'm going to pay $45 to get my husband and 4 and 7 year old kids hamburgers at the pool? HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Don't recall Mast Grill but I do remember having burger at the Lawn Club Grill for lunch on sea day and it was absolutely delicious.  Grilled to order, medium-rare, juicy and dripping with fatty goodness.  And then, finish it off with the most decadent chocolate chip cookie on open waters.

18 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

I just got off Anthem. On a 9 day cruise I only saw two people at Johnny's all week.  With that said I can understand why someone would pay for a burger. I had 2 burgers, one in Windjammer and one on Labadee both of them were disgusting. They were wet. I think they boil them.

They are probably kept in hot water to keep them hot without drying them out. Definitely better to have a burger hot off of a grill but most buffets don't offer that.

On 5/28/2019 at 6:57 AM, SailingSal said:

We were recently on Adventure 12 day cruise (great, fun time) and decided to try Johnny Rockets on a Sea Day.  We have enjoyed the fun atmosphere and service in the past.  Never thought the "up-charge" was too much.   Well - our bill was $29.50 for 2 people.  No Happy greetings or dances;  2 burgers that were at best, "OK"; A basket of onion rings that were mostly all breading,  French Fries that were barely fast food quality; 1 vanilla pop and glass of ship water;  and 1 milk shake (we use to get a free one with Diamond status).  I  was surprised as I do not remember anywhere close to $20 before.   Really - shouldn't the burgers be more special and the fries hand cut for that price?  Just want to say we won't be returning to Johnny Rockets - and to share with others that it is NOT worth the price. 

I have often thought JRs should be relegated to the bin.  Rather see a free burger place like the Hot Dog Den!  If you want dancing waiters....see a show!  I don't need them to enjoy a hamburger.

On 6/15/2019 at 9:43 AM, Iamcruzin said:

Ships have got so big, mass produced Food, When first went on Royal they had hand made Hamburgers, not from Frozen Patties and sitting in a WJ tray. Back then 30 yrs ago they were not served in WJ but were cooked over Flame Grill once per cruise on Pool Deck and on Labadee. But figure at most 2000 on biggest ships and 500-1500 a day on Labadee. Were really good back then with everything for the Barbecue cooked on the Beach, think they only used ship baked buns. But even when ate at Johnny Rockets 20yrs ago on the new Voyager thought it was pretty good. Haven't ate JR since 2000 so can't judge taste/quality now. Some forget even back then Johnny's had Cover Charge for a while...

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 5/28/2019 at 7:57 AM, SailingSal said:

French Fries that were barely fast food quality

That would be everything on the JR menu.  Honestly, I can see paying  $4.95 PP (the price years ago) if RCI HAS to pay a royalty to Mr. Rocket.  But anything above that would be a rip-off.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 11:35 AM, Host Clarea said:

I agree with an earlier post, change it to In & Out.  I'd pay for that.

Being from New York where there is no In&Out or Whataburger (but heard how fantastic they were!!!), I couldn't wait to try them. After several trips out west I can finally report that......they are no different from Johnny Rockets / Five Guys or Smashburger.

The MDR burger at lunch on sea-days is far better.....as is/was the burger from Michael's Pub on the Anthem

13 hours ago, HBE4 said:

Being from New York where there is no In&Out or Whataburger (but heard how fantastic they were!!!), I couldn't wait to try them. After several trips out west I can finally report that......they are no different from Johnny Rockets / Five Guys or Smashburger.

The MDR burger at lunch on sea-days is far better.....as is/was the burger from Michael's Pub on the Anthem

I've eaten several burgers of the Five Guys/JR/In&Out variety and don't understand the rave reviews. They are all right but certainly aren't haute cuisine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparks1093 said:

I've eaten several burgers of the Five Guys/JR/In&Out variety and don't understand the rave reviews. They are all right but certainly aren't haute cuisine.

This.  It's like wanting to go to Outback Steakhouse for a fantastic cut of beef