Appropriate attire for Vatican

1 hour ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

and some Catholic churches during festivals, women must cover their heads.

I've never had to cover my head in a Roman Catholic church anywhere in the USA or Europe (and I've visited many churches in Europe). Some of the Eastern Orthodox churches do require head covering but that will not impact anyone visiting the Vatican (which is Roman Catholic).

We have seen older Roman Catholic women (usually those born prior to 1940 and those in some eastern European countries) still wearing head coverings (mantillas) as women covered their head during mass prior to the judgement issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (Inter Insigniores) in the 1970's .

Edited by dogs4fun
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, donaldsc said:

Wrong.  CC is very useful for questions that are a bit complex or for questions that ask for an opinion.  However, many of the questions are entered either because the questioner either does not know that Google exists, does not know how easy it is to use or is too lazy to do a bit of their own research .  If the questioner is not willing to go into Google, type a few words and then click on one of the first 3 or 4 hits, they are clearly in one of my 3 categories described above. 

As a perfect example, how many posts have you seen where the OP wants to know how warm it is in a certain spot at a certain time.  How many posts have you seen where someone wants to know how far it is from point A to point B when they could go into Google maps and get the answer immediately.

I rest my case.  Just remember the old adage - if you give a man a fish, they will be hungry tomorrow.  If you teach them how to fish, they will always have food to eat.

If you check my posts, you will find that I frequently answer questions on CC.  I just will not answer questions that can be answered by doing a 10 second Google search.

DON

No, you won't answer questions that can be answered by a quick google search, but you take the time to always point out that a search could have done the job, so you must have done the search and found the answer, and then wasted the time in not pointing it out.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, dogs4fun said:

I've never had to cover my head in a Roman Catholic church anywhere in the USA or Europe (and I've visited many churches in Europe). Some of the Eastern Orthodox churches do require head covering but that will not impact anyone visiting the Vatican (which is Roman Catholic).

We have seen older Roman Catholic women (usually those born prior to 1940 and those in some eastern European countries) still wearing head coverings (mantillas) as women covered their head during mass prior to the judgement issued by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (Inter Insigniores) in the 1970's .

I've had to cover my head in several Catholic churches in Mexico and Central America. Particularly when a religious holiday is being observed.  It's easy to carry a scarf, just in case.

1 minute ago, Bizmark'sMom said:

I've had to cover my head in several Catholic churches in Mexico and Central America. Particularly when a religious holiday is being observed.  It's easy to carry a scarf, just in case.

That's interesting - it certainly isn't mandated by the Roman Catholic church. Must be a local custom carried over to the present day in the Southern Americas. 

If I entered a church in Mexico/Central America and was requested to wear a head covering I would certainly abide by the local custom. After all, I consider myself merely a visitor in their home - never would wish to offend. 

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

No, you won't answer questions that can be answered by a quick google search, but you take the time to always point out that a search could have done the job, so you must have done the search and found the answer, and then wasted the time in not pointing it out.

deleted

Edited by donaldsc

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Here is why.  If I give them the answer, they will always be too lazy to look up stuff or they will never learn to use Google and will always depend upon other people to give them information.  If I don't give them the answer but tell them that it is easy to look up on Google, just maybe (unlikely but just maybe) they will learn to use the internet to look up stuff.

DON

I would also think that if you are computer savvy enough to get to the Cruise Critic and/or Trip Advisor forums, then all you need to do is ‘research by lurking’ or go back a few pages, as it seems to me, that an awful lot of the questions asked are repeated every couple of months or so 😀

• Like 1

On 6/1/2019 at 2:20 AM, donaldsc said:

Wrong.  CC is very useful for questions that are a bit complex or for questions that ask for an opinion.  However, many of the questions are entered either because the questioner either does not know that Google exists, does not know how easy it is to use or is too lazy to do a bit of their own research .....

DON

I think there is also a fourth reason.

People will ask an easy ‘Google’ question on CC because on Google they won’t get all the other entertainment benefits they do when they ask here on CC. On-line spats, name calling, going off on tangents, .... 

Google might be good for facts, but it pales in comparison to CC for sheer infotainment! 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

And a fifth reason I've noted, at least for some questions...

People will read the "fact" somewhere but they want to know what they can get away with. To wit:  "Yes I've read that you must have knees and shoulders covered to enter St. Peters, but is it REALLY enforced? Do I really have to comply?"

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

And a fifth reason I've noted, at least for some questions...

People will read the "fact" somewhere but they want to know what they can get away with. To wit:  "Yes I've read that you must have knees and shoulders covered to enter St. Peters, but is it REALLY enforced? Do I really have to comply?"

Excellent observation. There is often a difference between the fact and the reality. 

Fact, the speed limit in Ontario on the 400 series highways is 100kph . Reality is that the speed limit is 120kph and on the 407 toll road it more like 125kph. 

Fact, the price for my medium Tim Horton's coffee is $1.71 with tax. Reality, I only pay $1.70 in the store when I pay cash because there are no more pennies in Canada.

Edited by DirtyDawg

Fact: For those in the Vatican who visit the Sistine Chapel, posted rules prohibit taking photos.

Fact: when we visited the chapel, many people were using their phones to take pictures.  

Fact: those who weren't using phones were using cameras.

Conjecture:  perhaps some even shot videos.

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Fact: For those in the Vatican who visit the Sistine Chapel, posted rules prohibit taking photos.

Fact: when we visited the chapel, many people were using their phones to take pictures.  

Fact: those who weren't using phones were using cameras.

Conjecture:  perhaps some even shot videos.

And, don't think about using the zoom on your camera to not take photos, but to look closer at the artwork...   

Back on attire:  it's not what you can get away with, but it's about being respectful of the wishes of where you are visiting.   If you can't abide for a couple of hours, don't go.   I do find it amusing that people will ***** and moan about people's attire in the MDR on a ship, but whine about having to be modestly covered in a site owned by the Roman Catholic Church...

8 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

People will ask an easy ‘Google’ question on CC because on Google they won’t get all the other entertainment benefits they do when they ask here on CC. On-line spats, name calling, going off on tangents, .... 

Google might be good for facts, but it pales in comparison to CC for sheer infotainment! 😉

Good point.

popcorn.png

4 hours ago, slidergirl said:

And, don't think about using the zoom on your camera to not take photos, but to look closer at the artwork...   

Back on attire:  it's not what you can get away with, but it's about being respectful of the wishes of where you are visiting.   If you can't abide for a couple of hours, don't go.   I do find it amusing that people will ***** and moan about people's attire in the MDR on a ship, but whine about having to be modestly covered in a site owned by the Roman Catholic Church...

LOL, I know exactly what you mean. 

10 hours ago, DirtyDawg said:

No argument.  However, my "give a man a fish etc. " analogy still applies.

DON

Food for thought -- I belong to another forum that has a rule against against posting "ask  google" type responses.  Reason is it may be considered off-putting to newer posters who would like to become part of the community.  

I think there may be times when suggesting a search of the net might be helpful, but in reality that response could be given to just about any question asked.  I think folks see a benefit to asking questions here on CC because it is community of fellow cruise enthusiasts and of course there is the social aspect of the forum.   People don't know google exists?  Lazy?  I think those would be way way down the list of reasons folks ask questions on CC.    

Just my opinion of course.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

If you zoom in close enough you see a small latin caption: Ova Circumlinisti Stibio

That really explains a lot. 😀

11 minutes ago, ldubs said:

If you zoom in close enough you see a small latin caption: Ova Circumlinisti Stibio

That really explains a lot. 😀

Sometimes Google Translate does a terrible job:  Egg Cover Cosmetics...