Dawn .. "paint overs" on the MDR art..Why???

jaja

Recently off the Dawn and was totally surprised and miffed by the "painting over" of the Venetian DR artwork !!  All done in random patterns and bright colors...over the original paintings.  Wow...it sure was ugly and distracting...and in my opinion ruins the atmosphere of what was once a very elegant room.   NCL..what were you thinking???????😱

20190525_062758.jpg

20190523_073645 (2).jpg

20190521_083254.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jaja said:

Wow...it sure was ugly and distracting...and in my opinion ruins the atmosphere of what was once a very elegant room.

Well, that's your opinion.  And in my opinion, it looks interesting and different and doesn't take away from the atmosphere at all, and only steers it away from the stuffy elitist atmosphere of the past that these main (NCL, RCCL, CCL) are all trying to get away from.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, gymbomb said:

I agree that it is totally ugly and distracting! Replacing the art with different, more modern art would have been fine. But this just looks stupid and cheap.

Yes--I agree..replacement would have made more sense (in my opinion) if it was a different (modernizing) look they wanted. Yes--it did look "cheap"  to me..and did not coordinate at all with  style of existing dining room.  There is a way to mix styles..and this (in my opinion) did not work.

Edited by jaja
  • Like 2

It's art.  And, as such, it's meant to elicit a response.  All art is supposed to do that.

Looks like they succeeded.  

Do I like it?  I don't know.  I don't "unlike" it.  It's thought provoking.  With that in mind, it works.

• Like 1

Just off the Dawn and thought the same thing as Jaja. It was a very cheap way to attempt to create "modern art" Something you would see on HGTV. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Used to be on a deck, turned into cabins.

And I really missed having the Spinnacker ( and the Great Outdoors.)..that's why I love the Jewel class ships !!!😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mugtech said:

How'd you like the way they modified the Spinnaker Lounge?

1 hour ago, fstuff1 said:

theres a Spinnaker on the dawn? what floor?

1 hour ago, mugtech said:

Used to be on a deck, turned into cabins.

There was a Spinnaker Lounge on Deck 13. Many years ago that lounge was moved to Deck 7. In a more recent dry-dock the Spinnaker Lounge was modified into the Bliss Ultra Lounge (Still on Deck 7)

• Like 1

Well the "art" in Tsar's Palace dining room on the Jewel is a lot worse.  It reminded me of someone's gothic nightmare.  According to a frequent cruiser I had lunch with there one day, Mrs. Del Rio was the decorator during the dry dock last year and had all the Russian Imperial portraits removed.  What she chose really didn't fit at all with the atmosphere of that dining room.  She should have removed the fake Faberge eggs on the newel posts.

There’s a whole lot of art I just don’t get.....thinking Picasso, Andy Warhol, etc.

I read a few months ago that some of those “paint by number” clown paintings are collectibles.  Who knew?

Artists create art, whether we like it, or not!

Ugly as it may, it's definitely a conversation starter and most remember it. Some of my friends still talk about it years later!

I've also seen so many posts in here about it so at least they succeeded on making it unique and memorable.

• Like 2