Straws?

JayDeeJay

I’m sure this has been addressed, I just can’t find, but would like a refresher - what can we expect by September as to carnival’s policy regarding plastics and disposables?  Debating on whether or not to bring our own (hate paper straws).

Just bring your own.i will be bringing some.some of our local restaurants don't supply straws I keep a pile in the car.my wife has dentures in the upper half of her pie hole so she requires a straw.the cruise ships dump trash in the ocean and they vilify the drinking straw.w e will be using yeti cups anyway and we don't drink alcohol.so I doubt I'll gag a whale.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, scpirate said:

Just bring your own.i will be bringing some.some of our local restaurants don't supply straws I keep a pile in the car. the cruise ships dump trash in the ocean and they vilify the drinking straw

Can relate... straws have become nearly non-existent where I live and the surrounding areas. 

6 minutes ago, dsotm73 said:

Why not preemptively purchase your own reusable straws as a small personal environmental measure. Then it won’t matter when your drink providers make the switch from plastic straws.

Some people don't really want to do "dishes" while on vacation.  And using the same straw over and over without washing could get pretty yucky.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Might as well get used to living without plastic straws. Writing is on the wall and I’ll be surprised if they even exist in 5 years. You saw this bold prediction here. If I’m wrong you’ll get a refund of you CC annual subscription.

There is some evidence they’re not great for us anyway, aside from eco concerns.

Before the arrows come (wooden shield at the ready) I am not advocating policy on this but I really don’t think advocating either way matters at this point.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Some people don't really want to do "dishes" while on vacation.  And using the same straw over and over without washing could get pretty yucky.

While it's true that you shouldn't drink from the same straw over and over, most come with the cleaning brush.  I've found if I just run some water through the straw & swipe it with the brush, I'm good to go in seconds.  The only problem I've encounter is that the sinks in the cabin are not very deep & depending on the straw size it can be an issue - in that case, I just wet the cleaning brush really well and swipe it a few times. 

I'm taking a package of inexpensive reusable straws on our next cruise and have enough that everyone can have 3.

• Like 3

From what I understand, the new straws they have are sugar straws which are edible. They've been using them on select ships as a trial and they were apparently accepted quite well by the passengers, so that's a good sign.

I'll be bringing a couple of plastic straws and a straw cleaner when we sail. I don't mind doing some dishes back in the room at the end of the day and it only takes 5 minutes.

Edited by Sean_B
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Can relate... straws have become nearly non-existent where I live and the surrounding areas. 

Crazy how different parts of the country are. The only place I've seen with no straws was a couple months back I visited a shake shack in Dallas. They didn't have straws or lids for their sodas. I wonder if they had them for shakes. Seems like they'd have to. Anyway...that's a New York company so it didn't surprise me.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, jsdst12 said:

I personally can live without straws (minus drinking milkshakes lol)...however, my 6yo son who has autism sometimes has difficulty drinking out of cups.  The straws help him avoid spilling his drink down his body and not need to use a "sippy cup" in public.  We will bring our own for sure!

This is a perfect example where for certain individuals there is a need for items that others can do without.  There are many valid reasons where an across the board elimination of an item is not a mere inconvenience for some, but a valid issue.  I hope that people would be understanding of these situations and not just figure that everyone is feeling privileged and petty.    

• Like 4

11 hours ago, sc4125 said:

While it's true that you shouldn't drink from the same straw over and over, most come with the cleaning brush.  I've found if I just run some water through the straw & swipe it with the brush, I'm good to go in seconds.  The only problem I've encounter is that the sinks in the cabin are not very deep & depending on the straw size it can be an issue - in that case, I just wet the cleaning brush really well and swipe it a few times. 

I'm taking a package of inexpensive reusable straws on our next cruise and have enough that everyone can have 3.

We got one of these. Comes with it's own case and a cleaning brush.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L1K7TDT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

29 minutes ago, rvmike said:

So what’s next, no toilet paper or sheets for our bed#?

There's a difference between necessities and luxuries. No one needs a tablecloth and only some need straws. And after a week at the buffet, we ALL need toilet paper!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Yet many people do similar, whether to save the environment or.just to satisfy their appetites. Witness the proliferation of 30-oz+ Yetis, Big Bubbas, etc.

• Like 2

This is part of the update to Carnival Cruise line Guests about the environmental issues that I saw on their website today

• Eliminating the distribution of all drinking straws, with the exception of frozen drinks, which will be served with an edible straw; wooden coffee stirrers will be replaced with stainless stirrers which can be sanitized and reused;
  • All beverages will be served in glass or reusable plastic tumblers; all to-go hot beverages will be served in paper cups with paper lids;
  • Like 1

We buy compostable straws sold at a local restaurant depot in the Denver area.  If they end up in the ocean because someone else threw it in there, they dissolve or are digested so I will bring those on all vacations from now on.  I can't get over how gross the stainless steel straws must be inside after a month of drinking with it, even if diligent with the brush cleaning.  

Good luck with your drinks everyone.

I think people should do what they feel comfortable with. If you are afraid you needs straws then bring them with you. My wife has been doing that ever since this ban started. I personal don't care for a straw unless its a frozen drink. I don't want a paper straw or an edible straw if I choose to get a drink like that.  

On 6/12/2019 at 7:55 AM, Butterbean1000 said:

With all the discussion regarding straws it got me wondering.  Do you use straws for all drinking?  I only use straws for frozen beverages.  I much rather drink directly from the glass.  Maybe it was just the way we were raised.  My mother would turn in her grave if she saw us drink iced tea through a straw, LOL.  Not judging,  just curious. 

Yes, I like a straw for pop and occasionally iced tea depending on where I'm at.  I don't drink foo foo drinks but like Mojito's and frozen Margarita's and use a straw for them.  We had paper straws on my last cruise and they are terrible - they do have a paper taste once they get damp.

On 6/13/2019 at 10:17 AM, jdemps said:

I can't get over how gross the stainless steel straws must be inside after a month of drinking with it, even if diligent with the brush cleaning.  

Good luck with your drinks everyone.

Tons of people use Yetties or something similiar.  Growing up my lunch box was always outfitted with a thermos bottle.  A little soap and water and they all clean up just fine.   A metal straw, using brush, soap and water will also clean up just fine.

I normally drink wine.  But I do like a margarita on the rocks.  Neither requires a straw for enjoyment.  Every once in a while, I do like a frozen drink during a cruise so in the last year I have started to pack both metal and bamboo straws (still trying to figure out which I like better)