One reason I book with a HAL PCC

DaveOKC

6 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I know that this topic (booking though HAL vs a discount on-line site) is often discussed on this board and I really do not want to start another one, but I just wanted to share a great experience I had today with my HAL PCC.

Around 9 am I email my HAL PCC the following:

"I noticed a fare decline in our Dec.  XX, 2019 cruise (#XXXXX) of $45.00 per person.  Could you please check this out for us?

If you need to call me on this, best might be my cell phone today"

At 10:15 am (they start work at 10 am my time) I got this email response:

"

Done!  Your new base fare is $XXXX.00 with same promos and obc.  I resent the booking confirmation to you .

Have a great day!"

What a quick and easy way to save $90!  And I generally do this at least once on each of our cruises.

That’s awesome. My PCC also is quick to make a change. I send her the info or link, she compares it for me, and let’s me know if it’s a better deal. She changed my booking 3 times without much effort on my part. Elizabeth is great!

That is great Dave.

When we have stayed in the Neptune Suites, and I have noticed a price drop, I have called our TA (not a big box company) and she has gotten us a reduction many times along with some other perks.

Never got a reduction when we stayed in a PS -- there are so few of them they sell out right away.

7 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

I know that this topic (booking though HAL vs a discount on-line site) is often discussed on this board and I really do not want to start another one, but I just wanted to share a great experience I had today with my HAL PCC.

"I noticed a fare decline in our Dec.  XX, 2019 cruise (#XXXXX) of $45.00 per person.  Could you please check this out for us?
     Well, done.  A few brief minutes to shoot off the email and savings of $90 is well worth the effort.  WELL DONe to your PCC.

Congratulations to you.

"

Done!  Your new base fare is $XXXX.00 with same promos and obc.  I resent the booking confirmation to you .

Have a great day!"

What a quick and easy way to save $90!  And I generally do this at least once on each of our cruises.

congratulations to you and "WELL  DONe"  to your  PCC.

A savings pf $90 as worth the few minutes i i took to shoot off your em-mail request to PCC>

Makes looking forwad to you r  cruise   all  the more fun.    🙂

image.png.b3f298c799da0827a9aac4b5a31235a6.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

4 hours ago, GlennG said:

Over the years, we have been assigned three Personal Cruise Consultants.  The first PCC was an absolute disaster for us.  While not belabouring the point, I found him to be arrogant, incompetent and had "things mixed up."  This fellow believed that I should be working for him, not the other way around.  We telephoned HAL and gave specific criticism to one of the supervisors in guest services.  The result was the assignment of another PCC to our account.  Over a period of 10 years, we found Lori to be an outstanding employee.  She really became an advocate for our behalf, and the service, done of our behalf, was always exemplary.  She was one of the reasons that we decided to remain with HAL, rather than switching to Celebrity.  Lori recently retired and we were assigned, yet another PCC.  While I cannot make any definitive evaluation of her performance, we are, thus far, very happy with the service that we have received.  With respect to Holland America's cruise consultants, I think it's a little bit of a "mixed bag."  As a client, you really have to monitor what is going on with your particular accounts.

There are Good  (great?)  TA's and some not so good and the same    holds for PPC's

image.png.285b83379d0ac327c1927e65b0b22799.png

Whether one uses a TA or a PCC, if we feel we receive good service, that’s all that matters. If I could find a TA that checked for price drops without me asking, I guarantee I would switch.

I have used my current PCC since 2010 and she has always been extremely helpful. I emailed her today at 1:02 asking if there was a possibility my cruise price dropped. She replied at 1:18 saying my entire party had been rebooked and I should be receiving updated booking confirmations soon. I’ve worked with her enough that I totally trusted her rebooking us without giving me any details, knowing she wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t advantageous to us. Little things like this are the reason I continue to use her. With that said, point me to a TA that automatically checks for better pricing and I will give them a call. 

40 minutes ago, 510picker said:

Whether one uses a TA or a PCC, if we feel we receive good service, that’s all that matters. If I could find a TA that checked for price drops without me asking, I guarantee I would switch.

I have used my current PCC since 2010 and she has always been extremely helpful. I emailed her today at 1:02 asking if there was a possibility my cruise price dropped. She replied at 1:18 saying my entire party had been rebooked and I should be receiving updated booking confirmations soon. I’ve worked with her enough that I totally trusted her rebooking us without giving me any details, knowing she wouldn’t do it if it wasn’t advantageous to us. Little things like this are the reason I continue to use her. With that said, point me to a TA that automatically checks for better pricing and I will give them a call. 

Any good TA or PCC would have done that since YOU found the price reduction.

I’’ve never had a problem with either a TA or PCC doing that and I would expect the service you got 😉 

TA’s, PCC’s both do the same things 😄   

4 hours ago, boards said:

Our PCC has always returned our calls as soon as she can.  We have been with her for three years and appreciate very much the service she gives us.

To be honest your referencing the quality with the call back time...  Great     If that is all you want then fine.

However, the PCC can not  ever give you the  service and the benefits that are offered via a top producing Agent.

It is NOT  in HAL's best interest to give you a better deal than they give an agent. 

Why? 

Because the agent is non paid/ no salary and only gets money when he produces.    The PCC gets a salary and  while nice is not even in the same league.   

In truth,  I had no Idea how much I would have lost If I had booked direct.... it was an eye opener. HAL  will  support and give to an agent that works for free until he produces, way more than you have dreamed.

It is sweet to be with hal agent for 3 years.... I am sure it was  to you nice.      Ask, could I have gotten that and so much more is I went with a  non HAL  top producer???     Worth a thought....  

However, if you think the PCC is  as good as it gets great.... be happy.   

Just do not compare  what is out there  it may hurt..   

19 minutes ago, kazu said:

Any good TA or PCC would have done that since YOU found the price reduction.

I’’ve never had a problem with either a TA or PCC doing that and I would expect the service you got 😉 

TA’s, PCC’s both do the same things 😄   

The both DO the Same thing......They can not offer the same things...    Thats the difference  anything a PCC can do good  a top Agent can to better..

We do not view re-pricing or returning customer phone calls or emails promptly as particularly stunning acts of customer service.  Seems to me that this is a base expectation of a TA or agency..  So far, we have never been disappointed.

We stopped dealing with the bricks and mortar TAs a long time ago.  We much prefer the online variety.  Much motr  availability during off hours, backup staff, etc.  Get the right agency, the right TA, and pay by credit card.  Seems very straightforward.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hawaiidan said:

To be honest your referencing the quality with the call back time...  Great     If that is all you want then fine.

However, the PCC can not  ever give you the  service and the benefits that are offered via a top producing Agent.

It is NOT  in HAL's best interest to give you a better deal than they give an agent. 

Why? 

Because the agent is non paid/ no salary and only gets money when he produces.    The PCC gets a salary and  while nice is not even in the same league.   

In truth,  I had no Idea how much I would have lost If I had booked direct.... it was an eye opener. HAL  will  support and give to an agent that works for free until he produces, way more than you have dreamed.

It is sweet to be with hal agent for 3 years.... I am sure it was  to you nice.      Ask, could I have gotten that and so much more is I went with a  non HAL  top producer???     Worth a thought....  

However, if you think the PCC is  as good as it gets great.... be happy.   

Just do not compare  what is out there  it may hurt..   

Yes we are happy with our PCC, we were also happy with our TA.  I am not  wanting to continue a discussion on the matter.  My comments were in no way meant to say anything bad about TA's.  Thank you

• Like 1

I have a PCC that I trust to give me a good booking, and I have now met. I will always make sure she gets credit for the initial booking.

That said, I have two travel agents that I have transferred cruises to that I feel have gone out of their way to make sure I am happy with the final reservation I have. Both have gone out of their way to provide me a good experience  after having a cruise transfered to them. I don't see any problem with doing the initial booking with a PCC, then transferring the booking and it seems that both have no problem with it either.e

Once I transfer the booking, I really expect nothing from the Travel Agency other than the discounted price or on board credit, but I have gotten more from both my preferred TAs . You can have the best of both worlds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/13/2019 at 9:27 AM, DaveOKC said:

"

Have a great day!"

Ain't it great to have awesome PCC's:)  Ours has never steered us wrong in more than 11 years:)

Joanie

• Like 1

We like our PCC.  We have been with him for a number of years.  He said he actually used to be a Cruise Director.  He is very responsive but not at all proactive.  We have to contact him.  I guess that might be a good thing because he is definitely not pushy but on the other hand he will not reach out with price reductions etc.

My new PCC left a voicemail to welcome us back from our cruise.  He also sent me an email to remind me of the double OBC for booking within the 60 day window.  I am thinking there’s hope.

For those who don’t know the background, my former PCC left the company and I was transferred to someone else.  He has a lot to live up to as my former PCC was amazing.  I had been initially disappointed and was going to request a new one but I may hold off on that.

• Like 1

I can not say enough of our wonderful PCC Risa!! She goes over the top for us always as well as she will give us heads up on specials on our up coming cruises as well as price drops! I never have to search our cruises to see f there are any specials or price drops! I always receive texts voicemails and emails from her ASAP! 

Good example we were in Maui for a month at our condo and I wanted  to book another cruise in 2021 on Koningsdam. 

Even with the time difference she was on the ball called us within the hour as well as 

a email to help us with the cruise! Also got explorer4 and PG! She gave us 500.00 on board credit too! I had no idea there was any perks! Had her over 10 years and she always gives us a bottle of Nicholas Fuette

Sorry spelling off  of champagne!

Denise😊

• Like 1

On 6/13/2019 at 12:12 PM, KirkNC said:

My TA does the same without me even checking on the price, she does it for me and gives me 12% of the price a PCC would charge.

I am surprised at the number of people who don't comparison shop. I guess they figure their PCC is worth paying up to 12% more for. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

What makes you think they don’t?

If they're booking through a PCC, they aren't comparison shopping.  

My TA will always match what a PCC can offer and will also add an additional discount of 8-10%.

The problem is two-fold.  

First, many people figure a TA adds their commission to the price offered by HAL/PCC.  Therefore, it costs more to use a TA.

Second, many TA will only match what HAL/PCC offers.  You have to look to find a TA that discounts.  They're good and they're out there.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

If they're booking through a PCC, they aren't comparison shopping.  

When I book through a PCC I have already comparison-shopped.  I have also booked through a TA.  There is no hard and fast rule.  It’s silly to think there is.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

When I book through a PCC I have already comparison-shopped.  I have also booked through a TA.  There is no hard and fast rule.  It’s silly to think there is.

The stark reality is that as Rocket Man said.... using a high quality travel agent, you will consistently beat any offer that you could ever get from HAL and their PCC people.    A good 8-12% is the norm with a good Travel Agent.  You should know that HAL  will never undersell a Travel Agent...   HAL  will never offer you ALL the benefits/perks that they will a Travel agent...   Your just 1 booking .....  The agent represents dozens of bookings... even hundreds of bookings in the future  !

For me its been this way for 20+ years.   That might not be hard and fast yo you but it is pretty clear to me  how I am going to go !

If you comparison shopped and picked the PCC then you did not pick the right travel agents !

And Yes they are out there...  maybe not  the ones you use....

Edited by Hawaiidan

• 1 year later...
On 6/13/2019 at 1:13 PM, boards said:

Our PCC has always returned our calls as soon as she can.  We have been with her for three years and appreciate very much the service she gives us.

Great....glad you think your getting a good deal.........  However, your betting against the house and your hiring the house to represent you  to the house......?????      Do you see that fallacy ?

Sure they are always right there... they want to keep you under their thumb and the con going.  Its a stacked deck against  what you could be getting....   How much OBC and $$$ rebate in cash do your get???     

To quote W.C Fields......" Never give a sucker an even break"

On 6/16/2019 at 11:18 AM, *Miss G* said:

Yea there is a hard fast rule.  Use a PCC, pay list price (whatever they give you is the same price every PCC gives), use a good travel agent and pay up to 12% less.  For us who used to cruise a lot, that was a five figure annual savings.  

27 minutes ago, kazu said:

Heads up!  This thread is over a year old.  

No idea why Hawaiidan decided to bump it with no new info but the same old, same old. 😞 

Lucky I don’t see those posts!  😎