Medals and other decorations

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Yeah, most services have too many uniforms. 😄

That's the main reason I was Air Force (not really). 😄  The main uniform, was one, that could be worn different ways.  Same pants and shirt, with or without tunic.  Utilities (fatigues when I was in).  Flight suits.  And Mess Dress.

And our Mess Dress was not that expensive.  I think I paid about $200 for it in 1980.

Yeah, since the Zoomies are always in air conditioning, they don't need different season uniforms. :classic_tongue:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Slugsta said:

OP, your DW is rightly proud of her awards and, as long as it fits in with military regulations, I say she should take the opportunity to wear them on formal nights.

Ex Brit military here - my understanding of the regs. (and etiquette re veterans) is that medals are worn for an occasion with a military context or if the invite specifies medals to be worn. Thus a cruise ship formal night is probably not appropriate.

Having said that, if OP's Sargeant Major is not on board the ship, then go for it. They are often a good ice breaker for meeting new and interesting people.

Is this a thread really about what jewelry your wife is going to wear?  If she thinks it complements her dress she should wear it.    I don’t even understand why this thread exists.

The only reason I could think to advise against it, is the advice one shouldn’t take valuable jewelry on vacation over concerns of having it stolen or lost.  And it certainly sounds that this particular piece of jewelry is one she values highly.  (even if it has a low material price) 

3 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Is this a thread really about what jewelry your wife is going to wear?  If she thinks it complements her dress she should wear it.    I don’t even understand why this thread exists.

The only reason I could think to advise against it, is the advice one shouldn’t take valuable jewelry on vacation over concerns of having it stolen or lost.  And it certainly sounds that this particular piece of jewelry is one she values highly.  (even if it has a low material price) 

No it is not.  I think you need to re-read this thread as it is not a concern about wearing valuable jewelry but about the appropriateness of wearing military medals.  Here is the OP's question as first asked to clarify why it has validly exists:

"What's the view on passengers wearing their medals and/or other awards and decorations on formal nights? 

DW has recently been awarded another (military) award, and is (rightly) proud of it. She is considering wearing her miniature medals on formal nights, but is worried about the reaction this may get from other passengers."

While your comments on risking the loss of valuable jewelry may be valid, they don't apply to the OP's concerns in this thread.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ed01106 said:

Is this a thread really about what jewelry your wife is going to wear? 

Um, no. It is most certainly NOT about wearing jewellery. In what world are military medals considered jewellery?

• Like 1

Thank you all for the comments. She is greatly reassured and will be taking and wearing her miniatures on formal nights.  We also found the following on the Cunard website ( not that we are sailing with Cunard):

Military or Award decorations may be worn on formal nights

So today I am off to the military outfitters to have the both the miniature and the actual medal added to the mounting.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

No it is not.  I think you need to re-read this thread as it is not a concern about wearing valuable jewelry but about the appropriateness of wearing military medals. 

My point was "how could it not be appropriate?"  That the appropriateness of wearing it seems so obvious that inquiring as the appropriateness seems down right silly.  The only reason not wear it would be fear of losing it, because there not other possible reason not wear it.  My answer to the question is a "Of course she should. How is this even a question."  The same response I would give if the OP asked "should my wife bring a bathing suit on our Caribbean cruise?"     

The sarcasm of what I wrote may have been lost.      

Mine are all large .. so it would have to be a ribbon which in my eyes is inappropriate on a tux ..... at least for me. I was going to compromise and wear a regimental dickie bow but couldn’t find anything re the appropriate etiquette.

Someone suggested that I wear ‘mess kit’ but one wag said I’d probably be mistaken for an ice cream salesman ..

Edited by MBP&O2/O

21 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Yeah, since the Zoomies are always in air conditioning, they don't need different season uniforms. :classic_tongue:

Hmm, Zoomies ran the DEW line.  No AC needed above the arctic circle. 😄

And guys I knew in Gulf 1, lived in tents in the desert.  AC would have been nice.

12 hours ago, ed01106 said:

My point was "how could it not be appropriate?"  That the appropriateness of wearing it seems so obvious that inquiring as the appropriateness seems down right silly.  The only reason not wear it would be fear of losing it, because there not other possible reason not wear it.  My answer to the question is a "Of course she should. How is this even a question."  The same response I would give if the OP asked "should my wife bring a bathing suit on our Caribbean cruise?"     

The sarcasm of what I wrote may have been lost.      

It was - at least with me. Perhaps you should have just said what you just posted.....

10 hours ago, denmarks said:

Would it be pretentious to wear a club membership pin such as Mensa on your hat?

mns042_1.jpg

Wearing a hat in the dining room? I think not:classic_rolleyes:.

I have worn my Veterans badge as a lapel pin in the past on board. I do have a MENSA lapel pin but have never worn it.

16 hours ago, MBP&O2/O said:

Mine are all large .. so it would have to be a ribbon which in my eyes is inappropriate on a tux ..... at least for me. I was going to compromise and wear a regimental dickie bow but couldn’t find anything re the appropriate etiquette.

Someone suggested that I wear ‘mess kit’ but one wag said I’d probably be mistaken for an ice cream salesman ..

Nothing wrong with wearing a regimental tie - I have done on several on board occasions (with regimental tie clip as well - not with a dickie bow obviously!)

I would have thought that mess dress is only appropriate for a serving member - I am a veteran (and I never had mess dress anyway - I only made Corporal).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SteveH2508 said:

Nothing wrong with wearing a regimental tie - I have done on several on board occasions (with regimental tie clip as well - not with a dickie bow obviously!)

I would have thought that mess dress is only appropriate for a serving member - I am a veteran (and I never had mess dress anyway - I only made Corporal).

I am pretty sure I would not FIT into my mess dress, even if I were so inclined. 😄