Medals and other decorations

What's the view on passengers wearing their medals and/or other awards and decorations on formal nights? 

DW has recently been awarded another (military) award, and is (rightly) proud of it. She is considering wearing her miniature medals on formal nights, but is worried about the reaction this may get from other passengers.

Is she also wearing her mess kit? In that case wearing her medals would be appropriate.  We've seen both men and women wearing their mess kits on formal nights  (DH was one of many to do so on our QM2 cruise). Wearing them with civvies? Not so much.

56 minutes ago, mom says said:

Is she also wearing her mess kit? In that case wearing her medals would be appropriate.  We've seen both men and women wearing their mess kits on formal nights  (DH was one of many to do so on our QM2 cruise). Wearing them with civvies? Not so much.

Full size medals go with mess uniform. The whole point in miniature medals (which is what OP mentioned) is that they exist to be worn with civilian formal wear - never with uniforms.

Any “reaction” from fellow passengers would be simply their exhibition of ignorance - and is best ignored.

Edited by navybankerteacher
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Full size medals go with mess uniform. The whole point in miniature medals (which is what OP mentioned) is that they exist to be worn with civilian formal wear - never with uniforms.

Any “reaction” from fellow passengers would be simply their exhibition of ignorance - and is best ignored.

Perhaps in the US. Not everywhere.

In some countries only miniatures are worn with mess kit. Full size medals are only worn by serving members with what, in Canada, is  called Parade Dress or S1 uniform. ( what i believe is the Class A Dress in the US). Medals are only worn with civilian dress for approved functions, such as those associated with a military function or a memorial ceremony such as Remembrance Day.

The question asked by the OP (from the UK) was whether or not it was appropriate to wear the miniatures with civilian attire for a formal night on a cruise. Depending on the dress regulations of the country of issue, this may not be considered  an appropriate occasion. However I'm aware that in the US, a more laissez faire attitude is common. The OPs wife should probably ask her unit WO or Sergeant Major about this. They are usually the experts on dress regs.

Edited by mom says

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Full size medals go with mess uniform. The whole point in miniature medals (which is what OP mentioned) is that they exist to be worn with civilian formal wear - never with uniforms..

This is absolutely untrue. Miniature medals are prescribed with the Air Force (and I believe Army) mess dress, which is the equivalent of the civilian tux.

• Like 1

The passenger reaction might depend on the line and passenger composition. Wearing military miniatures with formal civilian attire is not unusual in the UK and Europe but not as common in North America. It wouldn't draw a second glance from me, might be a conversation starter for others who are curious and there is a very outside chance someone might object. She earned the awards and should wear them with pride. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Doug R. said:

This is absolutely untrue. Miniature medals are prescribed with the Air Force (and I believe Army) mess dress, which is the equivalent of the civilian tux.

The US Navy version was called 'Dinner Dress Blues' - only full Commanders and above were expected to own a set [from 'Max Overcharge' in Newport RI 😉 ] 

6 hours ago, Sancho_proudfoot said:

What's the view on passengers wearing their medals and/or other awards and decorations on formal nights? 

DW has recently been awarded another (military) award, and is (rightly) proud of it. She is considering wearing her miniature medals on formal nights, but is worried about the reaction this may get from other passengers.

Tell them, "you're welcome". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Again, UK uniform regulations are different, and I'm assuming the DW is still serving (hence the recent award).  Just wanted to say that in the US, contrary to a lot of practice I see on cruise ships, that wearing uniforms by retired personnel is prohibited unless the occasion is related to the person's service.  So, this is why miniature medals are allowed on civilian attire in the US.

• Like 1

Here's what the US Army says (not that this applies to OP). Seems that it's a "no" for me and other Army veterans or retirees.

Army Regulation 670-1, paragraph 30-6, says that former members of the Army (including active duty, reserves, or Army National Guard), may wear medals on "appropriate" civilian clothing on Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, and Armed Forces Day, as well as at "formal occasions of ceremony and social functions of a military nature."

Appropriate civilian clothes include clothes designed for veteran and patriotic organizations, such as VFW or American Legion uniforms. You can wear either the full-size or miniature-size medals.

ETA: typing along with Chief . . .

Edited by CPT Trips

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Since she earned those medals with an allied military force, I would be among the first to thank her for her service :).

Hank

I would too but a problem can occur if you run into someone from a non allied nation. Also, be aware of where the ship is flagged.

Edited by dkjretired

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Personal view - if you are in a military situation ok, but on a civilian ship in a civilian situation they have no relevance, whether formal night or not.

Disagree completely, in all our sailings we have seen many military uniforms, not so much now with the relaxed dress codes. Years ago with formal dress codes very common.

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Hmm, not that I recall.

Miniature ones for Mess Dress.  Full sized for Full Dress uniform, such as dress whites for Navy..

2 minutes ago, SRF said:

Hmm, not that I recall.

Miniature ones for Mess Dress.  Full sized for Full Dress uniform, such as dress whites for Navy..

Which is what I was thinking - full sized for service dress blue or service dress white - and very few Navy officers below Commander bothered (or were expected to bother with) Mess Dress.

Yeah, most services have too many uniforms. 😄

That's the main reason I was Air Force (not really). 😄  The main uniform, was one, that could be worn different ways.  Same pants and shirt, with or without tunic.  Utilities (fatigues when I was in).  Flight suits.  And Mess Dress.

And our Mess Dress was not that expensive.  I think I paid about $200 for it in 1980.

5 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

Personal view - if you are in a military situation ok, but on a civilian ship in a civilian situation they have no relevance, whether formal night or not.

Neither do motorcycles but it doesn't stop you from using it as your photo on a cruise website.  

As long as it's appropriate and has relevance to the wearer, it's all that matters.  

• Like 2