Aqua cabins on Deck 11 of Millennium

mom23guys

Sorry if this is discussed before but I'm obviously not using the search correctly.

We just upgraded to an A1 on Deck 11. I've never been in these cabins. Is there any covering at all on the balcony? How is the noise level? Are they more windy?

Thanks again.

Did you check the M class sticky for your cabin?  Some report noise as the outdoor movie screen is on Deck 12 some say making noise on the balcony  very loud.  Also google the cabin. you can  probably find some reviews.

If you are in a aft facing cabin you will have an overhang. If you are port or starboard facing you will have very little overhang. Balcony is also small. I am noise sensitive and would not want to book A1AQ again on M class ships. 

We could hear the movies when sitting on our balcony. Some may be fine with that, I was not. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I don't believe the last time we sailed on deck 11 of Summit & Constellation they had outdoor movies. So I cannot vouch for that. 

However, some of the balconies are larger as they bump out over the restaurant below. We didn't have noise from below at all that we noticed and did appreciate the larger balcony (we specifically booked one of these). 

3 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

If you are in a aft facing cabin you will have an overhang. If you are port or starboard facing you will have very little overhang. Balcony is also small. I am noise sensitive and would not want to book A1AQ again on M class ships. 

We could hear the movies when sitting on our balcony. Some may be fine with that, I was not. 

Darn I didn't know the balconies are smaller compared to regular Verendas. I will be in 1105 for my Alaska cruise. 

I hope it's not a lot smaller.

The balconies on the sides on 11 are either the same as standard cabins or slightly larger, as they follow the bump outs of the Oceanview Cafe below. 1122 is standard size and 1105 is only slightly larger than standard. The largest balconies on the sides are 1101, 1107, 1109, 1117 & 1119 on port and the corresponding 5 cabins on starboard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

We generally stay on 11 but in an aft cabin. The port and starboard cabins have less cover than the afts and on a misty day in Alaska I'd take a deck 9 cabin with overhand over a port or starboard on 11 but that's just my preferance. The afts are the absolute best for sailing in and out of some spectacular ports and Icy Straits or Hubbard Glacier are amongst my favorites.

There have been several threads recently about the noise from the rooftop movies impacting Aqua cabins deck 11. A number of people reported being hearing the movies while on their balcony and in some instances even inside the cabin.

We changed our cabin on our next sailing as a result moving  to a concierge room at the aft. A very happy outcome. 

Just a bit of update to the information posted above.

With the changes to Deck 10, there is a distinct difference to the balcony size on Deck 11. Having recently sailed on the Summit, in Stateroom 1124 on Deck 11, I can tell you that the balcony was smaller than previous sailings on non-Revolutionized Deck 11 staterooms. The footstools are gone because basically they can't be accommodated on the balcony. There are two chairs that can recline, similar to the recline of a Premium Economy airline seat (maybe one notch more), but certainly not to the inclination that would accommodate a quick nap. Also, the balcony table has been reduced in both height and width, which means that you cannot comfortably have breakfast on the balcony.

Also, in analyzing the changes, I believe that all those balcony bump-outs are now gone... and all balconies are on a straight line from aft to bow.

Speaking to the overhang situation, please analyze your itinerary and its direction for port and starboard side, if you are a late sleeper. The draperies in the cabin are not sufficient to be called blackout draperies, plus they are slightly smaller than the width of the balcony slider. No matter what type of configuration we tried, we simply could not keep the draperies closed enough that we weren't blinded by the morning sun. It's tough to be awakened at 4:45am!!!! especially on vacation!!!

And, speaking to the noise level. OMG. This was the worst noise that we've experienced in a Deck 11 stateroom. Not only was it highly invasive on the balcony, but it was also readily heard in the stateroom... and I'm not talking about bass notes from music... but dialogue. I've never experienced that before and have come to the conclusion that Deck 11 has become uninhabitable. My DH has a solution: Issue HEADPHONES to the movie audience! If they can do it for Silent Disco, they should be able to do it for the movie. On my sailing, there was a Quiet Time on the Rooftop Terrace from 2pm to 4pm (again, on the Celebrity Summit). Movies started promptly at 4pm, which meant no silent balcony for sail away times.

I'm not disparaging the Summit. I'm just trying to inform people who are considering Deck 11, AQ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We no longer book aqua cabins.  There are some quiet cabins on deck 9, under the oceanview cafe, but most are under the pool deck and subject to noise from carts being pulled across the deck and scraping chairs.  The large overhang really does block most of the sun...good for some, not so much for us. Most would not select a cabin under a potentially noisy space above...but prior to the addition of deck 11 and if you wanted to eat at Blu, there was no choice....however, 9108/9127 and further aft are under the ocean view cafe which has a carpet....no sound from above.  

Then celebrity added deck 11....and it was great...solved all the problems and when we could get one of the larger aft cabins, we jumped on it.  Unfortunately, they then created a noisy area above...movies under the stars...and we haven't booked aqua again on M-class ships....We just book balcony cabins and forgo Blu (Note: select dining has been very good recently with service equal to Blu).  For our next cruises we are in a C2 priced as a C3 (captain's club offer) with select dining.

Once we found select dining to work and the service good, we now don't book aqua on the S-class either.....we book 1A cabins with the larger balconies....highly recommended.

IMHO, If you want to sail aqua class on an M-class ship and you can't book one of the three aft cabins on deck 11 with the larger balconies, I'd suggest you book one of those quieter A2s on deck 9.

• Thanks 1

Oh well. Hopefully the movies don't go real late. We upgraded because we love Blu and the price we paid was higher than the Aqua. We also got an extra perk. No balconies on 9. I personally loved the larger overhang on 9. Heck we are going to Alaska so all will be good. We will just have to stay out at the Martini Bar. 

48 minutes ago, maggie.1008 said:

I really wish Celebrity would leave outdoor movies to Princess. I don`t want to hear loud music or action film when I am relaxing on my balcony. 

I agree!  One of the reasons we weren't interested in Princess is because of the MUTS and happy that Celebrity didn't have this. 

Has anyone had recent experience with the noise level sailing in an Aqua aft?  We have a b2b on the Summit in the cabin next to the center aft and I hoped that the noise wouldn't be as loud in the back as it is in the cabins on the sides.

23 minutes ago, MartinsCruise said:

I agree!  One of the reasons we weren't interested in Princess is because of the MUTS and happy that Celebrity didn't have this. 

Has anyone had recent experience with the noise level sailing in an Aqua aft?  We have a b2b on the Summit in the cabin next to the center aft and I hoped that the noise wouldn't be as loud in the back as it is in the cabins on the sides.

I picked the side because there was a post about the horrible noise from the  aft cabins. 

The post was from IRC 6 weeks ago. Hopefully someone will post a link. I can never find old posts.

Oh dear, we are booked in #1140.  I do hope we don't have to listen to movies all night.  We love to sit on the balcony and view the wake.  Love the solution of providing headphones to the viewers.

We booked an AQ cabin one time under the Aqua Spa cafe which we thought would be quiet in the evening since they don't serve dinner there.  Well, some idiot, and I do mean idiot, decided that would be a great place to have Silent Disco starting at 11PM.  The furniture moving in the area started a little after ten and they were still moving things back in place at 12:45AM.  It was like 100 elephants stomping up there.  We complained and all we got was a "sorry".  We were hoping for a promise NEVER to have Silent Disco there again.

We are just off Summit on Sunday, having sailed in 1141.  I would book the cabin again in spite of quite a few shortcomings - the fabulous showers are gone, replaced by a weird donut-hole shower head, the heated mirror that didn’t fog over is gone, there is no loveseat, just a chair for 1-1/4 people and the drapes are too small for the sliding door (which we could barely open; the executive housekeeper who came to look at it couldn’t open it at all). 

We were next door in 1140 last year and I only recall hearing the movie from above once, when we were in port in Bermuda (it was The Wolf of Wall Street, and profanity rained down from above). And I could only hear it when I was on the balcony.  In 1141, I could hear the movie every time, dialog and music while on the balcony and the thumping of the bass while in the cabin. Fortunately there weren’t many movies shown, but I did mention it on the mid-cruise survey and nothing happened. Our stateroom attendant told us that the cabins were completely gutted in the “revolution,” and I wonder if soundproofing was deemed too expensive.

Also, now that the canvas cover is gone from the Sunset Bar, there were nights when the singer/guitarist had to compete with the movie to be heard - perhaps it wasn’t bad on Deck 10 but on Deck 11 it was pretty annoying.

But there were many days when I just sat out on the balcony, covered when it was raining and sheltered from the sun on brighter days, loving the wake view. So for that I would put up with the intrusion, although I will continue to mention it onboard and in my surveys, no doubt in vain.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2019 at 1:34 AM, critterchick said:

We are just off Summit on Sunday, having sailed in 1141.  I would book the cabin again in spite of quite a few shortcomings - the fabulous showers are gone, replaced by a weird donut-hole shower head, the heated mirror that didn’t fog over is gone, there is no loveseat, just a chair for 1-1/4 people and the drapes are too small for the sliding door (which we could barely open; the executive housekeeper who came to look at it couldn’t open it at all). 

We were next door in 1140 last year and I only recall hearing the movie from above once, when we were in port in Bermuda (it was The Wolf of Wall Street, and profanity rained down from above). And I could only hear it when I was on the balcony.  In 1141, I could hear the movie every time, dialog and music while on the balcony and the thumping of the bass while in the cabin. Fortunately there weren’t many movies shown, but I did mention it on the mid-cruise survey and nothing happened. Our stateroom attendant told us that the cabins were completely gutted in the “revolution,” and I wonder if soundproofing was deemed too expensive.

Also, now that the canvas cover is gone from the Sunset Bar, there were nights when the singer/guitarist had to compete with the movie to be heard - perhaps it wasn’t bad on Deck 10 but on Deck 11 it was pretty annoying.

But there were many days when I just sat out on the balcony, covered when it was raining and sheltered from the sun on brighter days, loving the wake view. So for that I would put up with the intrusion, although I will continue to mention it onboard and in my surveys, no doubt in vain.

Oh dear. I’m in 1133 which is next door to 1141. 

I hope they take such feedback on board before they Revolutionise Connie. 

Edited by little britain

On 6/19/2019 at 8:34 PM, critterchick said:

This so disappointing, especially the noise, shower and undersized drapes.  We have 1138 booked in November for a b2b which is my retirement cruise to relax but that may be difficult on the veranda which is where I love to spend time.  We love the aft Concierge cabins but wanted to stay in Aqua to eat in Blu this time.  Now I'm thinking that may have not been the best decision.  If the movies are loud I will definitely complain to guest services and the hotel manager.  Using headphones for the movies is a great idea!  Celebrity has always been known to have a more relaxed subdued atmosphere without numerous announcements like on other lines so having a movie blaring during the day and night just doesn't fit with that idea.

29 minutes ago, MartinsCruise said:

This so disappointing, especially the noise, shower and undersized drapes.  We have 1138 booked in November for a b2b which is my retirement cruise to relax but that may be difficult on the veranda which is where I love to spend time.  We love the aft Concierge cabins but wanted to stay in Aqua to eat in Blu this time.  Now I'm thinking that may have not been the best decision.  If the movies are loud I will definitely complain to guest services and the hotel manager.  Using headphones for the movies is a great idea!  Celebrity has always been known to have a more relaxed subdued atmosphere without numerous announcements like on other lines so having a movie blaring during the day and night just doesn't fit with that idea.

Maybe you can move cabins to something that may be quieter...

We were on the Summit last month in 1140.  I like to sit out on the balcony late night, the headphones I wear drown out any noise, but with the canvas cover removed it is very bright on the balcony from the lights below (sunset bar area).  Did not sit out there at night on this cruise.

Edited by seadays4me

Our next (and possibly final) AQ stay will be on the PRE-revolution Infinity in 1140.  Love the afts, but I really do not want to deal with a not-big-enough sofa.  We spend a lot of time in our cabin.  And while the noise from the movies is annoying, and often clashes with the music from the sunset bar, we're willing to put up with it for a comfortable cabin.  You can go inside, shut the door, and hear nothing.  Or you can laugh about the crazy movie above and the guitar player below.

What is a deal breaker for us is a cabin with no comfortable seating.