Error in Deluxe Beverage package pricing?

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I think that George is echoing a previous poster or two, who think that people should  just keep amazing news about a bargain to themselves.

I was mainly thinking out loud.

I had seen it on FB, but thought it was an anomoly.

I then got a text that it was on.

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

And that is exactly what it says on the receipt.

If it was merely a pricing mistake, with the wrong number being entered in the code on the website, why do the receipts say "special offer 21+" on them?

"Glitch" doesn't describe that situation.

Perhaps an unintended avalanche of people purchasing the package, but it looks pretty deliberate when you think about it.

Everyone in cabin over 21 has to buy it.

My Rome cruise says 18+

I don't think that honoring the packages will be necessarily bad for Royal.  Firstly, people have reported that they booked cruises in order to purchase the discounted package.  Now, I don't understand paying $1500+ for a cruise to save $$ on a drink package but, in this scenario, Royal wins.  The packages were only available for 2020 sailings, and even then only for select sailings, which limits their exposure.  Again, we're talking about sailings in 2020 where it is likely that there will be some cruise cancellations.  For cruises that are cancelled, the discounted package will be cancelled as well and thus Royal won't be out anything on the discounted drink package.  There will also likely be some people who will need to change the date of their cruise and thus Royal's loss in these cases is 0 because people won't be able to transfer their discounted package to another cruise and will need to purchase a new package at the "prevailing rate".  And hey, if the reduced drink package promo causes everyone to keep their bookings, Royal wins.  Royal stays winning ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calbeeman said:

If they honor the snafu pricing , I hope it won’t impact those amazing gifts they give out at trivia. What would I do without my keychain?

We got disco rings on Serenade.

And zipper pulls😁

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 8:53 AM, sandebeach said:

My thought this morning. Could this have been a Marketing test by Royal to try and answer the age-old question "Is the drink package worth it"?

Kind of like Nike's latest news grab with Mr. Kapernick?

• Haha 2

I really don’t understand why so many people are complaining via an email to Michael Bailey.  What are they complaining about?  They haven’t officially cancelled the purchases made at $18.  They may not do anything, letting us keep the cheap package,.  

• Like 1

15 hours ago, awestover89 said:

I honestly wouldn't expect much to have been different if this was either of those cruise lines. I don't have a ton of experience with Princess, but as for NCL it's definitely been my experience that their customer service team is just as clueless as Royal (if not slightly more so) and quite a bit slower to respond. NCL got some flack not too long ago because they didn't release an official statement on the Cuba changes until several days after all the other cruise lines. 

And in unrelated news, but proof of point: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/norwegian-cruise-line-pearl-passengers-stuck-barcelona-rome-a8985311.html

Cancel two ports without compensation, and cancel a cruise telling people to just change their flights to go back home and you'll reimburse only the minimum of $300 in airline change fees (which won't come close to covering a last minute flight change). Should definitely have insurance, but cruise line customer service being clueless and out of touch is definitely not a Royal exclusive.

Price mistakes happen. Weather happens. Maintenance and mechanical issues happen. It isn't about what goes wrong, it's about how the company chooses to respond

Edited by awestover89
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Everyone in cabin over 21 has to buy it.

My Rome cruise says 18+

You have (shall I say, "as usual"?) missed the point.

I quoted the entire phrase, but the salient part is "Special  Offer".  When you normally book, it does not say that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sellwingri said:

I really don’t understand why so many people are complaining via an email to Michael Bailey.  What are they complaining about?  They haven’t officially cancelled the purchases made at $18.  They may not do anything, letting us keep the cheap package,.  

I have to say quite honestly if there was not a collective outrage, the email would have been posted immediately saying 
"we take it Back, cheap beverage package? what cheap beverage package?"

• Like 2

I didn’t purchase it, but I am pulling for you guys. And I think the case to honor it might be stronger than what initially looked. 

First, for every person who bought at an exceptional value to them there is at least another person who otherwise wouldn’t have bought did so just because the price made sense.   So the total revenue might not be all that different. 

Second, because the price is low and easy to get your money’s worth the heavy drinkers are less likely to go totally crazy.  The moderate drinkers will just use it like a refreshment package with benefit.  So the alcohol consumption may not be all that much more.  

In addition, if Royal admits glitch the only fair thing to do for each purchase is to revert back to whatever sale price it was at.  Royal might not have that system readily built in.  It would mean a round of over flooding their call centers.  

Not to mention, the much easier path to positive PR if they choose to honor it. 

We will see. 

Edited by iWillSailAway
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

And that is exactly what it says on the receipt.

If it was merely a pricing mistake, with the wrong number being entered in the code on the website, why do the receipts say "special offer 21+" on them?

"Glitch" doesn't describe that situation.

Perhaps an unintended avalanche of people purchasing the package, but it looks pretty deliberate when you think about it.

I have a feeling all receipts, regardless of price, is going to say that. 

1 minute ago, rusty nut said:

I have a feeling all receipts, regardless of price, is going to say that. 

My previous receipts all just say "Deluxe Beverage Package 18+"  My new receipt says "Deluxe Beverage Package Special Offer 18+"

• Like 2