Error in Deluxe Beverage package pricing?

5 minutes ago, iWillSailAway said:

I didn’t purchase it, but I am pulling for you guys. And I think the case to honor it might be stronger than what initially looked. 

First, for every person who bought at an exceptional value to them there is at least another person who otherwise wouldn’t have bought did so just because the price made sense.   So the total revenue might not be all that different. 

Second, because the price is low and easy to get your money’s worth the heavy drinkers are less likely to go totally crazy.  The moderate drinkers will just use it like a refreshment package with benefit.  So the alcohol consumption may not be all that much more.  

In addition, if Royal admits glitch the only fair thing to do for each purchase is to revert back to whatever sale price it was at.  Royal might not have that system readily built in.  It would mean a round of over flooding their call centers.  

Not to mention, the much easier path to positive PR if they choose to honor it. 

We will see. 

Very true. And If they don't honor it a little bit of OBC or a real sale price would be nice.  

Personally i I am hoping for OBC but sale would work for many others. 

• Thanks 1

So, my last port intensive 7 day cruise, my bar tab was about $250.00 for both of us.  My wife doesn't drink much, and we get free drinks as Diamonds.  The great mistake, makes it $297.00.  I purchased it, for fun, because I thought it was a mistake.  In our case, RCCL got $50 more money out of me than normal.  I guess I'll have 1 more beer a day to make up for it.  So whatever happens, I kind of don't care.  I'm looking at this as more of an amusement than anything else.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I have never had a Deluxe Beverage package receipt say “special offer”; even on Black Friday which is when I purchase most of them. 

I'm not looking to disagree, as I really hope the guests that did get a chance to purchased @ $18PPPD get them honored but here is what my receipt said from 6 weeks ago.

(Copied from my RCI Email receipt)

Below you will find a brief description of the items you have reserved.
BEVERAGE PACKAGES
Deluxe Beverage Package Special Offer 18+
Total Cost: 1581.96 CAD

dp

• Thanks 2

We bought the package at $18. It still shows in our purchases as valid. We have not received an email from Royal Caribbean. I am not upset, why should I be. I knew it was i mistake when I booked it. If RC cancels our package, so be it, no skin off my nose. I will not look at RC any differently than I do now.

I would be impressed, however, if RC did offer some kind of gesture to those that purchased at the $18.

A promo code, linked to your account that would offer 40% off the website price of the deluxe package, that you could use at any time between now and the date of your cruise would be above and beyond for me. Not seriously looking for much, though, and I'm okay with that. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

So, my last port intensive 7 day cruise, my bar tab was about $250.00 for both of us.  My wife doesn't drink much, and we get free drinks as Diamonds.  The great mistake, makes it $297.00.  I purchased it, for fun, because I thought it was a mistake.  In our case, RCCL got $50 more money out of me than normal.  I guess I'll have 1 more beer a day to make up for it.  So whatever happens, I kind of don't care.  I'm looking at this as more of an amusement than anything else.

We are in the same boat. 🚢

I booked thinking that Royal would have to do something to compensate if they refunded the error (Glitch). There was no downside. I may still refund the purchase price even if Royal lets the $18 a day go through.

21 minutes ago, dpostman said:

I'm not looking to disagree, as I really hope the guests that did get a chance to purchased @ $18PPPD get them honored but here is what my receipt said from 6 weeks ago.

(Copied from my RCI Email receipt)

Below you will find a brief description of the items you have reserved.
BEVERAGE PACKAGES
Deluxe Beverage Package Special Offer 18+
Total Cost: 1581.96 CAD

dp

Interesting, thanks for sharing 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, momofmab said:

Another thought - perhaps if everyone just purchased the "glitched" package quietly, instead of (figuratively) screaming through a social media microphone, Royal would have honored the packages sold at the incorrect price.  

To be honest, I don't understand the stupidity of tagging them on Twitter. Posting on a message board is one thing, calling their attention to it is a whole different situation. I follow a couple of deal message boards and one of their informal rules is to never use the term pricing mistake or error in the title.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Check your credit card . My charge for the drink package has disappeared .

When you first submitted your payment details, it wasn’t a posted transaction. What you saw on your card is called a pre-authorization which creates an authorization code that will put a hold on the funds making them available to the merchant only. The credit has not been returned to you and the charge is being moved from a pending charge/authorization to a posted transaction which will display on a statement. If Royal Caribbean was to refund it, you would see it posted along with a negative credit that will be posted against it. This is how Royal Caribbean handles its tokenization for online sales and e-commerce.

Generally, with hotels and car rentals, your card is authorized an additional amount for incidentals and damages. These typically drop off and are replaced with a lower charge when travel is completed. This is because the same authorization code that was obtained when your card is swiped will be used for the posted transaction and the amount is less than the original hold. If these providers needed to obtain more funds, they would generate another authorization code for the supplemental funds that are required.

FWIW, my preferred bank processes payments and credits very quickly and it already displays as a posted transaction for me.

Edited by xDisconnections
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

Wait til someone runs their mouth at the bar that they paid $18 and everyone else paid triple.  I can see the mob heading to GS now...

You ever compared airfare charges with the passenger sitting next to you? Or even cruise charges with the passenger in the cabin next to you. Ridiculous argument.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

We are in the same boat. 🚢

I booked thinking that Royal would have to do something to compensate if they refunded the error (Glitch). There was no downside. I may still refund the purchase price even if Royal lets the $18 a day go through.

And there it is. 

Booked knowing it it was a mistake, hoping to get something for free. 🙄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

My charge is still pending......

My charge is still pending, but it is not unusual for charges to take a few days to process on my RC Bank of America card. My drink package purchase that I did on Saturday (not related to the $18 "deal") only went from "pending" to "processed" this morning.

11 minutes ago, dswallow said:

You ever compared airfare charges with the passenger sitting next to you? Or even cruise charges with the passenger in the cabin next to you. Ridiculous argument.

No.  That's not really an apt comparison.  I'm just saying, I can easily imagine someone being drunk at the bar going off about how they got the best deal in the world and everyone else didn't.  

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, BeachChik said:

And there it is. 

Booked knowing it it was a mistake, hoping to get something for free. 🙄 

They, like many others are feeling the Bern, and applying it to life. Never answers how it’s going to be paid. In this case, by the Stockholders to a degree, and then by all of us in the long run. If honored, the lost revenue will be passed on to you, the consumer, one way or another. 

1 hour ago, sellwingri said:

I really don’t understand why so many people are complaining via an email to Michael Bailey.  What are they complaining about?  They haven’t officially cancelled the purchases made at $18.  They may not do anything, letting us keep the cheap package,.  

Exactly  or calling Royal 

You know calling Royal , you get a different answer 8 out of 10 times.   

Lets see how this all shakes out 

15 minutes ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

They, like many others are feeling the Bern, and applying it to life. Never answers how it’s going to be paid. In this case, by the Stockholders to a degree, and then by all of us in the long run. If honored, the lost revenue will be passed on to you, the consumer, one way or another. 

For some reason this entire thread reminds me of that 1960s horror movie Night of the Living Dead.  

• Like 1