No shrimp at Blue Iguana

Just off Paradise, was so excited for shrimp tacos for lunch.....found out they now only offer chicken, fish and pork??? When did that happen? Seems Carnival just keeps snipping and snipping to save a buck but rates don’t really change.  Just seems greedy to me 😞

Edited by south-carolinagirl
Mistype

When we we on Conquest last year, the lunch menu did not list shrimp as being available but I always asked for shrimp tacos and was gladly served them. Are you saying you asked and were told there was no shrimp available on the lunch menu?

3 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

The shrimp is only on burrito side menu.  You have to ask for it in taco side.

This mildly confuses me about Blue Iguana - half the time I go there the Taco side is "closed" and you order either from the "Burrito" side.

58 minutes ago, evandbob said:

I hope it was just a Paradise shortage, and not a fleet wide cutback.  I order half chicken, half shrimp, one of the lunch options that isn't a cardiac clogger.

From what has been stated here, I doubt there was even a shortage - just not listed on the Taco side of Blue Iguana, so the OP assumed it wasn't available.  OP has not clarified if they asked for it but was denied, or simply didn't know to ask for it.

• Like 1

Had my first ever shrimp soft taco on embark day, Magic,  May 5, 2019.  I asked for a shrimp taco and the fella was a funny guy and gave me a tortilla with one shrimp.  I looked at him like "what?" and he and all the other guys starting laughing.  They were all in a great mood and we all had a good laugh.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, south-carolinagirl said:

Just off Paradise, was so excited for shrimp tacos for lunch.....found out they now only offer chicken, fish and pork??? When did that happen? Seems Carnival just keeps snipping and snipping to save a buck but rates don’t really change.  Just seems greedy to me 😞

Hi

I don't know anything about the shrimp. 

As you point out the "rates don't really change". This is during the same time that I have seen the price of very many of the products I use/buy everyday going up. Now how do you think they accomplish that? 

It's been repeated over and over, not just for Carnival, if you think they are not the product you want anymore, if you want something better and are willing to pay for it, there are other choices available. You are the consumer/customer, talk with your wallet. Make your voice heard. 

I was on Magic in Feb and asked, on the taco side, for shrimp tacos and the server went to the burrito side and got me shrimp.  On Paradise in April, I asked for shrimp tacos and the guy looked at me like I was crazy and said only chicken, fish or beef.  The Blue Iguana set up on deck was different on Magic then on the Paradise but I don't know if the guy didn't want to walk the extra steps to get my shrimp, or didn't know he could get me shrimp from the burrito station.  Or maybe it is just on the Paradise they have no shrimp?

Just got off the Legend to Alaska and they had the shrimp on the burrito side only. The habanero hot sauce that they make fresh is to die for. I love hot stuff and this is the real deal 😀. This was my first ship that has Guy's and Blue Iguana and I was hooked instantly!

8 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

The habanero hot sauce that they make fresh is to die for. I love hot stuff and this is the real deal 😀.

When I was on the Horizon last year, I went to the hot sauce bar before getting in line to place my burrito order.  I filled two of the silver dipping containers with the habanero sauce and had the assembler put in inside my burrito.  They were amazed and it was delicious.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, n6uqqq said:

Just got off the Legend to Alaska and they had the shrimp on the burrito side only. The habanero hot sauce that they make fresh is to die for. I love hot stuff and this is the real deal 😀. This was my first ship that has Guy's and Blue Iguana and I was hooked instantly!

So did you ask for shrimp on the taco side? As I mentioned above, you just need to ask for it on the taco side and (in my experience) they will oblige.

59 minutes ago, joepeka said:

So did you ask for shrimp on the taco side? As I mentioned above, you just need to ask for it on the taco side and (in my experience) they will oblige.

I did not ask for it on the taco side, I had a shrimp burrito. They were very accommodating on the Legend, I think they surely would have made a shrimp taco. On the seaday brunch I asked for a bagel with the smoked salmon and they brought it for me even though it is not on the official menu now.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just to follow up with my experience from Legend last week/early this week. The first time I went to Blue Iguana at lunch and asked for a shrimp taco, the guy said it was only available on the burrito side and wouldn't prepare it... hmmm. I didn't press the matter as there was a line behind me but I mentioned it to our MDR waiter (who works BI in the mornings) that evening and he said the guy who declined the shrimp must have been new because if you ask for it, you will get it. Our waiter said he would mention it to the staff in BI the next morning when he started his shift. I don't know if he did that but every day after when I asked for a shrimp taco, it was gladly provided without question. :classic_smile:

On 7/4/2019 at 9:19 AM, south-carolinagirl said:

That happened to me on the Paradise in April.  I asked for a shrimp taco and was refused.  Every other ship I have asked for shrimp they go to the burrito side and snag some for shrimp tacos.  I wonder if there is a lack of knowledge on the Paradise that they can do this?

So...  Now that we established that the shrimp tacos are available in the BI, How were they ? 

Details... Details... it's all in the details...

Is the shrimp battered ?  Do they have a special sauce they put on it ?  Is it like a fish taco, where they add some shredded cabbage ?

1 hour ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

So...  Now that we established that the shrimp tacos are available in the BI, How were they ? 

Is the shrimp battered ?  Do they have a special sauce they put on it ?  Is it like a fish taco, where they add some shredded cabbage ?

The shrimp tacos are very, very good. They are not battered but rather (I suspect) are sauteed in some seasonings. They give you the taco sized tortilla with just the shrimp on it then you go to the salsa/condiments stations and add as much as you want - lettuce, cheese, sour cream, all types of sauce from mild to flames coming out your ears hot.

ETA: I wish I had taken photos of them but was too busy eating them. I'm guessing someone on the board has a photo or two they will share however.

Edited by joepeka

8 hours ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

They were not battered, they were sautéed in butter and were really great! I'm on a keto diet and I had the shrimp taco salad (without eating the shell!) and it was one of the best I've ever had!

Edited by Shaded Lady