NOLA & Mobile Cruisers - Conquest Class or Fantasy Class Ship Preference

We are one of the many families who prefer driving to port to save on airfare.  Our closest ports are New Orleans and Mobile, which, of course, means that it’s always a Conquest Class or a Fantasy Class ship.  Since my very first cruise experience was on Fantasy, that class is my sentimental favorite.  I also think the layout is MUCH easier to navigate for a newbie cruiser.   

Extended family is now thinking a cruise would be a great place for a large multi-generational family cruise.  If you were to introduce a never-cruised-before family member to Carnival, which would you pick - Conquest Class or Fantasy Class?  (It MUST be a 4 or 5 night itinerary to accommodate everyone’s schedules.)

Depends on their attitudes. I took my dad on his first cruise (at 75 years old) on Carnival Sensation - the price was excellent and we all appreciate a good value.  He didn't mind the age of the ship - to him it was a completely new experience and his only wish was that he had a balcony cabin (they had an outside and he had little interest in ship activities, so if he cruises again he will get a balcony and plant himself there for most of the journey).  

However if your family are a bunch of 4-5 star type travelers, they will notice the age and dated quality of the ship.  The rooms on Fantasy class are just a bit smaller, I believe, than Conquest class.

If prices are the same or very close, I would opt for the newer ship from New Orleans.  If you think they will all prefer balcony cabins, you really have to go that route as well.

If you can get a significantly better price on Fantasy, don't think they need balconies, and you don't have the picky complaining types in your group, since they won't have anything "better" to compare, I would go that route.

• Like 2

If they haven't cruised before, they will have nothing to compare.  Fantasy will seem huge.  And there was a time that it was.  Just that ships are huge-er now.  The only cabins that are larger on Conquest class are the OV, since they incorporate inside the space that would be a balcony in a balcony cabin.  EM

• Like 1

There are plenty of "rationales" for choosing the older ships, but I would steer clear of them.  The "ratinonales" usually are code for lower priced.  They may indeed be cheaper, and IMO, they are certainly cheap.  Ugly tacky Farkus decor, garish MDRs.  The posters say the newbies ignorance can be their bliss, they have nothing to compare such hideousness to......until they sail a newer Carnival ship or worse, another cruiseline.  Then the newbies will look back and compare.  They'll say something like the Fantasy was old like the first portable phone with those huge antenna like a WW II walkie talkie.  Or they might compare the Fantasy to a CRT screen or radio tube TV.

The Conquest class ships used to be my fav, I've sailed them about 20 times.  I stopped sailing the smaller, older class ships a dozen years ago because they were old and out dated then - 'nuff said.  Now that the Conquest class ships are showing their age and I've stepped up to liking the Dream class as my Carnival go to.  JMO, YMMV.

The best part about the Fantasy classes is the Punchliner. At lot less crowded. Can walk in around start time and get a seat. Very rare across Carnival. Some other things are less crowded too.

I prefer the Conquest class. My biggest gripe is I hate the Fantasy class Lido deck. No dive-in movies. Just a boring layout. I like having a few more options on the bigger ships too.

Fantasy

I prefer that size.  Embarkation takes alot less time since it has a lower guest capacity.  I like the tacky decor.  The Fantasy class has the Serenity area on deck 9 aft.  It is actually serene.  There is seating outside the Lido buffet windows.

Old does not mean junk.  I'm tired of people saying or implying that.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

There are plenty of "rationales" for choosing the older ships, but I would steer clear of them.  The "ratinonales" usually are code for lower priced.  They may indeed be cheaper, and IMO, they are certainly cheap.  Ugly tacky Farkus decor, garish MDRs.  The posters say the newbies ignorance can be their bliss, they have nothing to compare such hideousness to......until they sail a newer Carnival ship or worse, another cruiseline.  Then the newbies will look back and compare.  They'll say something like the Fantasy was old like the first portable phone with those huge antenna like a WW II walkie talkie.  Or they might compare the Fantasy to a CRT screen or radio tube TV.

The Conquest class ships used to be my fav, I've sailed them about 20 times.  I stopped sailing the smaller, older class ships a dozen years ago because they were old and out dated then - 'nuff said.  Now that the Conquest class ships are showing their age and I've stepped up to liking the Dream class as my Carnival go to.  JMO, YMMV.

I understand what you are saying.  Unfortunately, the ports of New Orleans and Mobile only have the Fantasy Class and Conquest Class ships for the shorter itineraries.  I have already asked family if they would consider driving to a further port and I got a big fat NO.

Your post does make me want to try a Dream Class ship, though.

19 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

The best part about the Fantasy classes is the Punchliner. At lot less crowded. Can walk in around start time and get a seat. Very rare across Carnival. Some other things are less crowded too.

I prefer the Conquest class. My biggest gripe is I hate the Fantasy class Lido deck. No dive-in movies. Just a boring layout. I like having a few more options on the bigger ships too.

Have you seen what they’ve done to the comedy club on fantasy? Not the entire class...just fantasy. They cut it in half and took out the bar. It’s extremely small. I will not sail on fantasy based on that alone. Now if you’re talking Elation...great. But I have seen Elation go to standing room only. I can’t imagine what fantasy is like.

Edited by Saint Greg

Drive to NOLA instead of Mobile.  Both ships usually go to the same places.  NOLA is cheaper cruise wise and have larger ships.  Fantasy is ok but old and rather dated.  Carnival had that ship for sale and no bites.

2 hours ago, Saint Greg said:

Have you seen what they’ve done to the comedy club on fantasy? Not the entire class...just fantasy. They cut it in half and took out the bar. It’s extremely small. I will not sail on fantasy based on that alone. Now if you’re talking Elation...great. But I have seen Elation go to standing room only. I can’t imagine what fantasy is like.

I have not. I have only been on Sensation and Fascination. Thanks for letting me know. Not that I was dying to go on the Fantasy, but now I will definitely never go.

9 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I have not. I have only been on Sensation and Fascination. Thanks for letting me know. Not that I was dying to go on the Fantasy, but now I will definitely never go.

Yeah I think the fantasy class has the second best comedy club after the Dream class but they messed up fantasy. I remember they were talking about doing away with the Elation comedy club and making the night club double as a comedy club. Thankfully they didn’t do that. Fantasy class has my favorite night club. Smaller...but the bar is practically on the dance floor.

I vote for the Conquest class ship. Our last Fantasy cruise was not to our liking at all.  I know people enjoy the ship, but we go on newer ships now.  I particularly dislike the cabin size.  Smaller bathroom and no sofa.  It is really cramped.  Lots of balcony cabins to choose from on Conquest class. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/7/2019 at 11:14 AM, Saint Greg said:

Isn't that small.  Few people standing but on my cruises never had anyone complaining they couldn't get in.  And the Bar is on the outside of the comedy room.  And no real need for a bar as there are plenty of cocktail servers taking drink orders.

9 minutes ago, mackenzie80 said:

Isn't that small.  Few people standing but on my cruises never had anyone complaining they couldn't get in.  And the Bar is on the outside of the comedy room.  And no real need for a bar as there are plenty of cocktail servers taking drink orders.

All Fantasy class ships have a bar outside the aft lounge. Several of these have been converted to an Alchemy Bar. I believe the previous poster was referring to the rest of the Fantasy class ships that also have a bar in the aft lounge. This makes it easy to get a drink without relying on a server. It is also is a good place to sit for shows too. You are the first person I have heard who has at least implied the change to the comedy club on Fantasy wasn’t a bad thing. 

32 minutes ago, mackenzie80 said:

It was cut in half. I'd be surprised if everyone gets in to the adult comedy shows. I cruised on Elation with the bigger club three times and it went to standing room only plenty. I stood for a few shows in there. I can't imagine the smaller club. I can tell you Vista is too small. And the lack of a bar there hurts because people who have to stand have to stand in the way of the servers getting to and from the bar. I wouldn't be surprised if fantasy has the same issue. At least Vista has comedy in the main lounge a few nights.

Edited by Saint Greg

this is a 3 month old thread,  and OP has probably already made a decision, but since we are posting.

I think a 4-5 day cruse for new cruisers is great, either they like it or not, and SACRILEGE, if not and adult can survive 4-5 days.

Based on that i don't think the ship maters as much, introduced to a sea day, introduced to a port of call, introduced to dining options i.e. MDR, Guys, buffet, introduced to entertainment, etc.

Once your hooked you can decide what fits you best.

Love to cruise, first was a 4 night honeymoon, 10 years later it was a I'm bored to death 7 nighter, learned what works for me.  Now its at least 3 of the 7 nights a year for past 7 or more years.  Everyone needs to be introduced, much like religion