items on buffet you avoid every time

3 hours ago, clo said:

Wow.  Poor you.  I eat everything and drink the local water.  The only time I've been sick (knock wood) was from salmonella-tainted peanut butter made in the US.  It would so take away from my enjoyment of travel if I couldn't eat from street vendors, etc.

Thank you. I still take some calculated chances here and there. When I can, I talk to locals and ask where they eat and so far that has worked well. We all have things we have to adjust to, it could be a lot worse and I still love to travel.
I'm also fortunate that my wife and I love to cook, so I eat very well all year. 🙂

1 minute ago, Mike981 said:

I'm also fortunate that my wife and I love to cook, so I eat very well all year. 🙂

We also.  Take care.  As I'm sure you do.

PS:  We both learned to make bread a few months ago.  And we're in our 70s!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Does your green jello have anything in it?  My aunt makes a fabulous lime jello salad with marshmallow, cream cheese, and pineapple (and colored mini-marshmallows on top) - I've tried making it and it's close but never quite like hers.

My mother made that salad with walnuts, we called it puke salad.

• Haha 1

Nothing with banana, no brocoli, no jello or anything made with jello, and we stay away from things like bread or biscuits when we see people pawing them over.  Avoid some of the mystery fish.  Don't bother with a lot of the deserts that always seem to look much better than they taste.  Bread pudding does nothing for us.  We don't go on cruises to eat bread pudding!  Not interested in processed cheese of any king....even if it is on a hamburger.  Or any processed foods for that matter.  We want real eggs.  We want to see them cracked and put on the grill.  Not interested in the pressed french fries either.

Spent five  of the last six winters in Asia eating only  in local restaurants, night markets, street food.  Never a day sick for either of us.  I put it down to the ice cold beer and the pineapple ice shakes.   Tap water on the ship, bottled water on land in many places.

Edited by iancal

12 minutes ago, iancal said:

Never a day sick for either of us. 

Do you get sick in other areas of the world?

Oh, wait, you spent your winters in Asia but you were on a ship?

2 hours ago, Mike981 said:

My mother made that salad with walnuts, we called it puke salad.

Can't imagine walnuts in this jello dessert.  I have seen other jello salads with walnuts, but not this one.  It's more like some of the cool whip pies but thicker and not so sweet - more of a cheesecake filling taste with the cream cheese.

5 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

My aunt makes a fabulous lime jello salad with marshmallow, cream cheese, and pineapple (and colored mini-marshmallows on top) - I've tried making it and it's close but never quite like hers.

I'm going to say maybe from the 60's, my Mom used to make that kind of big round of jello with fruit cocktail and cream cheese.  Been a long time since I've had anything like it.  Though jello cups with some fruit in them are fairly common on the buffets I guess.   Just not the same.  

2 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I'm going to say maybe from the 60's, my Mom used to make that kind of big round of jello with fruit cocktail and cream cheese.  Been a long time since I've had anything like it.  Though jello cups with some fruit in them are fairly common on the buffets I guess.   Just not the same.  

Hey Idubs, make it yourself, you can buy powdered jello in the store and get a can of fruit cocktail and a tub of cream cheese.

5 minutes ago, ldubs said:

1 minute ago, Harley52 said:

Hey Idubs, make it yourself, you can buy powdered jello in the store and get a can of fruit cocktail and a tub of cream cheese.

I don't know.  I'm not much of a cook and it seems like a lot of work.  Besides, it is just so 60's.  😀😀😀

13 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Sounds like you are from PA Dutch country 🙂 Sweet Lebanon or Regular (I prefer regular)?  Does your green jello have anything in it?  My aunt makes a fabulous lime jello salad with marshmallow, cream cheese, and pineapple (and colored mini-marshmallows on top) - I've tried making it and it's close but never quite like hers.

Born and raised in South Central PA.  The local Amish school/meetinghouse is next door to my brother's house.  A lot of them moved a little West when they didn't like all the tourists.  When I get back there, I hit up the Mennonite store for bologna (I like regular).  There's now a Chipotle bologna from Seltzer's (the Mennonite store carries it) that I want to try!   In Utah, the green jello is just green jello - no idea why it's so popular.  Why mom made a green jello back in PA - had ricotta cheese or cottage cheese in it (depending if she could get ricotta).   Dang, now I'm going to have to get a bologna sandwich for my dinner at work tomorrow...

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 1:55 PM, slidergirl said:

But, if you like oats and some fruit and nuts, it's worth the try for diversity.   I love oatmeal, but a batch of muesli made the night before is yummy.   It's good on a summer day, opposed to hot oatmeal.   

Nope. 😄

Love oatmeal/porridge.   Do NOT like muesli.

On 7/9/2019 at 1:21 AM, ldubs said:

Ooooh, I like this.  Sounds great.  I hope I get to see this on one of our cruises.   

Even better, fresh herring sandwich in Netherlands.

Some places have live herring in a tub with water.  You order, they grab one, fillet it, toss the fillets on a roll with chopped onion, hand it to you.  Maybe 20 - 30 seconds fresh

• Like 2

8 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Dang, now I'm going to have to get a bologna sandwich for my dinner at work tomorrow...

Aw, shoot.  I like bologna sandwiches.  Mrs Ldubs chides me about the processed food, but what the heck I figure every once in a while is OK.  

PS: Don't like muesli much.  I like oatmeal but hated cream of wheat for some reason.   

Edited by ldubs
Muesli!

7 minutes ago, SRF said:

Some places have live herring in a tub with water.  You order, they grab one, fillet it, toss the fillets on a roll with chopped onion, hand it to you.  Maybe 20 - 30 seconds fresh

Never tried it but it sounds like good stuff!

12 minutes ago, SRF said:

By law they need to be frozen for 24 hours minimum before they can be sold for consumption in order to kill parasites.  The fish are cleaned (head removed, fins scratched off) in market stalls when you order them, but they are not killed on the spot. 

They are delicious, though :) 

4 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Eggs benedict. The eggs have always been way overcooked (or over heat lamped) every time I've tried them. No more.

Years ago I read that the sauce can cause food poisoning depending on how it is made and sitting under a heat lamp exacerbates the problem. I'm not sure if that is the case anymore with the "egg type" products that are often used.

44 minutes ago, Sea Hag said:

Eggs benedict. The eggs have always been way overcooked (or over heat lamped) every time I've tried them. No more.

I'm finding Oceania more and more appealing.  Their eggs are cooked to order.  Well, not hard-boiled 🙂

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Aw, shoot.  I like bologna sandwiches.  Mrs Ldubs chides me about the processed food, but what the heck I figure every once in a while is OK.  

PS: Don't like muesli much.  I like oatmeal but hated cream of wheat for some reason.   

When some of us from certain sections of Pennsylvania say "bologna", we mean "Lebanon bologna".  It's a totally different meat from regular bologna.  It's a nicely spiced meat.  Dark colored, not like the bland-looking bologna.  Give it a try.  It's sometimes hard to find, but a deli/supermarket that has Boarshead will probably have it.  

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 4:20 PM, clo said:

We also.  Take care.  As I'm sure you do.

PS:  We both learned to make bread a few months ago.  And we're in our 70s!

Late bloomer are you clo.