No flip flops in the dining room?

libbykt

6 minutes ago, libbykt said:

Is this actually enforced?  I live in my flip flops and would really love to not have to pack separate shoes just to wear to dinner. 

Officially no. Have I seen them in the dining room at dinner, yes. Is that rule enforced, sometimes. Now I'll get my popcorn. 😀

Edited by Jamman54
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Traditional flip flops are listed in the 'not allowed' section for both casual and cruise elegant nights.  Do you really want to risk being denied MDR access for the duration of your cruise?  See the suggestion above.  Have fun.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

Officially no. Have I seen them in the dining room at dinner, yes. Is that rule enforced, sometimes. Now I'll get my popcorn. 😀

Shoot, I didn't mean to be controversial in my first post! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, xDisconnections said:

Never had a problem on Carnival, Royal or Princess.

You haven't. Jamman has cruised a lot and said: " Is that rule enforced, sometimes." I would not chance it because it could be an issue. And it could be easily avoided.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, libbykt said:

Shoot, I didn't mean to be controversial in my first post! 

No worries. Not controversial at all. Good question. I just know some of my fellow posters. 😀

• Like 5

The past few years I see just as many flip flops as I do shoes in the MDR!

I have no problem with it.  You are on vacation.  But what the heck is up with guys wearing baseball caps during dinner?

See it a lot here of late.  I guess they were not raised like I was.

• Like 9

18 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

I see them all the time, but I would recommend some that are a step above the ones that can be purchased for $1. Sparkly, leather, etc

It's a little crazy. By the way the rules are written, I could wear water shoes or my son's athletic slides. I feel like maybe everyone doesn't define flip flops the same way. 

Thanks for the replies. I promise we won't be in baseball hats or ripped jeans (or athletic slides) but I might be wearing my Clark's leather flip flops that are much more comfortable than the sandals posted! 

• Like 3

There are flip flops and there are sandals. The women's sandals pictured above are fine. $5 rubber flip flops are inappropriate. Also you did not state which meal, breakfast and the Sea Day Brunch, flip flops are fine, dinner, not so much

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, James4me said:

The guys wearing baseball caps don’t want to reveal their thinning hair and seem to think they look cool wearing a cap🙄

Some of them may have been horribly burned on their scalps during armed conflict, but you do you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's a fair question to ask. People do wear them. It doesn't bother or matter to me. If you are a rule follower, and there's nothing wrong with that, I'd pack something similar but comfortable. My wife is a rule follower and wouldn't wear them, but I'm not looking at everyone's feet at dinner either.

I think you could probably get away with it.  I honestly don't care what you wear on your feet, it will have absolutely no effect on my cruise.  However, this is what I care about.  There are rules and they apply to everyone.  There are those who think that because of whatever reason, that the rules don't apply to them.  It doesn't matter if you think the rules are silly, annoying or just place stupid.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frank12 said:

The past few years I see just as many flip flops as I do shoes in the MDR!

I have no problem with it.  You are on vacation.  But what the heck is up with guys wearing baseball caps during dinner?

See it a lot here of late.  I guess they were not raised like I was.

I was raised not to wear hats to dinner, but also not to wear flip flops to a decent restaurant. 

• Like 4

I was flabbergasted at the sheer number of people wearing not only your basic flip flop, but shorts and graphic t-shirts.... to elegant in MDR! My husband is bald and did remove his hat (which is like asking him to remove his wedding ring). I wouldn’t care really if it was casual- but there is a weird energy when you’ve diners who are very dressed and others who are significantly under dressed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RRLLAL said:

I was raised not to wear hats to dinner, but also not to wear flip flops to a decent restaurant. 

Living in South Florida for almost 15 years now, I pretty much only own flip flops at this point and they are widely accepted at fine dining locations where I live.

• Like 3