Taking food off ship Shore Excursions

kruisey

On another website especially for UK Princess passengers one asked if food could be taken off like bags of chips and such for shore excursions.I replied no there was always someone at exit checking that the passengers followed these rules. An answer to this was never been stopped ever.They asked were I resided and then stated different Agricultural rulings ?

Edited by kruisey
add letter

1 minute ago, kruisey said:

On another website especially for UK Princess passengers on asked if food could be taken off like bags of chips and such for shore excursions.I replied no there was always someone at exit checking that the passengers followed these rules. An answer to this was never been stopped ever.They asked were I resided and then stated different Agricultural rulings ?

:classic_huh:...:classic_wacko:

Europe particularly the EU countries have their own rules that allow food to be taken off the ship.  Most foreign ports do not allow some food to be taken off the ship particularly fruit but other items like sandwiches.  All ports I have been to allow food produced in a commercial kitchen, sealed and unopened to be taken off the ship (e.g. power bars, small boxes of cereal, etc).  

Just now, fluffybunny22 said:

Anyone know if it would be a problem in St Petersburg? Have a picky kid and it would be helpful to have some food to bring off in case he doesn't like anything at the restaurants.

Russia is not part of the EU and they did not allow any food to be taken off the ship.  I was there in June. 

• Like 1

This must be sheer ignorance on my behalf maybe due to the fact I haven taken many cruises but only one before that went to European ports.If these folks travel farther afield the no food off ship would surely apply.

3 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

Europe particularly the EU countries have their own rules that allow food to be taken off the ship.  Most foreign ports do not allow some food to be taken off the ship particularly fruit but other items like sandwiches.  All ports I have been to allow food produced in a commercial kitchen, sealed and unopened to be taken off the ship (e.g. power bars, small boxes of cereal, etc).  

That is interesting because unfortunately I have a picky stomach so on an all  day it would be great to take a power bar with my water.

Yes, taking a packaged granola or power bar off the ship with you is fine.  We do it all the time in case of "starvation".  But never the food prepared on the ship, or fruits, etc.  I see many people who do it but they aren't following rules or local laws.  

• Like 1

Many ports are serious about the no unpackaged or opened food allowed to the point they have dogs present to sniff out the contraband.  One time a young female was in front of me and had a shoulder bag (aka book pack) and the dog alerted its handler.  She had to empty the bag and of course there was no food inside.  She had used the bag in other times to carry food and the smell had permeated the bag which is what the dog smelled.  After a thorough inspection they let her go.  

It is not uncommon for food dogs to be present at a port and for food to be removed with no penalty.  BUT and it is a BIG BUT both New Zealand and Australia are likely to have food dogs at their ports and  if you don't declare you have food and are caught it will mean a fine.

For NZ read https://www.mpi.govt.nz/news-and-resources/media-releases/cruise-ship-fines-start/

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, suekel said:

What about in Alaska?

Only sealed, prepackaged food (granola bars, boxes of cereal, etc.) allowed off the ship in Alaskan ports.  I have seen them tell someone to stand aside and finish their coffee or throw it away.

3 hours ago, sherryf said:

Only sealed, prepackaged food (granola bars, boxes of cereal, etc.) allowed off the ship in Alaskan ports.  I have seen them tell someone to stand aside and finish their coffee or throw it away.

I’m sure I’ll get reasons....

But, the coffee one does confuse me.  DW has been told in Europe and Caribbean to discard before disembarking.  I get the fresh fruit one, because of disease and bugs, but brewed coffee?

Safe Journeys, Paul

8 hours ago, pjrockman said:

I’m sure I’ll get reasons....

But, the coffee one does confuse me.  DW has been told in Europe and Caribbean to discard before disembarking.  I get the fresh fruit one, because of disease and bugs, but brewed coffee?

I think it is partially because it is easier to have a blanket rule - only prepackaged foods may be taken off - and not have a bunch of exceptions.  If they allow coffee, do they allow tea?  What about a tea/juice mix? A smoothie?  Now you are getting into the realm of fruit.  The person at the pier doesn't know exactly what's in your to go cup.  It's not prepackaged, therefore it is not allowed. 🤷‍♀️

On 7/19/2019 at 8:42 AM, StLouisCruisers said:

Yes, taking a packaged granola or power bar off the ship with you is fine.  We do it all the time in case of "starvation".  But never the food prepared on the ship, or fruits, etc.  I see many people who do it but they aren't following rules or local laws.  

Uhh...  Not everywhere.

For example, in the Falklands it isn't allowed unless marked as Chilean or UK origin and accompanied by its receipt.

On 7/19/2019 at 11:35 AM, fluffybunny22 said:

Anyone know if it would be a problem in St Petersburg? Have a picky kid and it would be helpful to have some food to bring off in case he doesn't like anything at the restaurants.

No food is not allowed to be taken into Russia.  I'm sure you'll find him something he likes to eat.

On 7/22/2019 at 9:50 PM, janina said:

No food is not allowed to be taken into Russia.  

This is incorrect (unless we are talking about some kind of a one-off restriction imposed by the cruise company).

That said, I'm also a somewhat picky eater - and everything I tried in SPB was invariably good (except, maybe, kholodets, which is definitely more of an acquired taste).

Edited by napoxoguk

On 7/19/2019 at 11:35 AM, fluffybunny22 said:

DH and I were in St Petersburg last summer.  Although it was stated no food off the ship, we had kind bars in our backpacks and no one checked.  No x-ray on exit from ship.  Bags were checked when returning to the ship.  I would think as long as it is in original wrapping it would be ok.  You might run in to trouble with fresh fruit though.

On 7/21/2019 at 11:35 PM, pjrockman said:

On Princess in February, I had purchased a blended coffee beverage to take with me as I went ashore.  I was told at the check out that I had to dump it.  When I inquired as to why, I was told that it was because of the garbage.  The coffee cup was a Princess coffee cup, and if the cup found its way into the ocean, Princess would be fined.  I asked if I would bring coffee in my own travel mug, and they said that would be fine.

10 minutes ago, rugerdog said:

On Princess in February, I had purchased a blended coffee beverage to take with me as I went ashore.  I was told at the check out that I had to dump it.  When I inquired as to why, I was told that it was because of the garbage.  The coffee cup was a Princess coffee cup, and if the cup found its way into the ocean, Princess would be fined.  I asked if I would bring coffee in my own travel mug, and they said that would be fine.

Sounds logical.  That would have actually make sense if they said that to us.  

Thanks, Paul

I saw the food dogs in New Zealand, and saw a similar incident where the dogs alerted to someone's bag that had previously carried food.  Funny, except, of course, for the person involved.  I also recall that it cause delays for our tour group being cleared to go ashore for our tour.  Not funny overall, I guess🙂🌝🍉🍳🍎🍐🍓🍌🍒🌽🍞🍗🍔🍕🌮🍟🍰🍦🍭

For the last 12 years I have traveled with little ones and always take baggies to fill with snacks from the buffet.  Not necessarily big pieces of fruit, but I will usually make sandwiches, bring cheese, the dried fruit from the mornings; things like that for them to eat between meal times.  I have never been stopped, though I have not yet cruised in Europe.  I get the trash thing though, that makes total sense!