VIFP days paid but not sailed?

Good Buck

We did a back2back out of Galveston a few years ago. The first week, because of bad fog it was an extra day before we arrived in Galveston [after the first week] Everyone was credited with 8 days. The second week was ony 6 days, but everyone was credited for the full 7 days. So, we received 15 points even though we had only actually sailed 14 days. If the rules are days sailed, no exceptions, yet they changed that policy for us, why not give it a shot? I would.

3 minutes ago, vicky3vicky said:

We did a back2back out of Galveston a few years ago. The first week, because of bad fog it was an extra day before we arrived in Galveston [after the first week] Everyone was credited with 8 days. The second week was ony 6 days, but everyone was credited for the full 7 days. So, we received 15 points even though we had only actually sailed 14 days.

There's a difference... Yours was an involuntary change.  OP's was a voluntary change.

1 hour ago, Treyatl2006 said:

This was a hot topic several months ago. Unfortunately there is nothing they're going to do. I personally think you should get the points if you paid it and didnt recieve any refunds.

The program is set up by the number of actual days cruised, not by how much you paid.  

I would think if you can up your loyalty level just by buying a cruise, a lot of short, cheap cruises would be sold, but not filled onboard.

Just because you paid, doesn't mean you're loyal.  Actually using the product means you're loyal.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

I'm also not sure why people continue to argue about this... the OP asked if it has ever been done, at least one poster replied in the affirmative. The OP decided that it was worth their time to try it and they'd let us know if it worked! Asked & answered!

Because it doesn't work that way for airmiles or other travel incentives, and doesn't normally work for cruising, doesn't mean NEVER! And trust me, the tone of several posts was definitely scolding the OP for even asking the question!

Just because a question is answered doesn't stop the thread. Heck, there are countless threads where the OP's question was answered several times over...and that's often on the first page alone.

If someone thinks my post is considered "scolding," then so be it. I stand behind what I said. In my opinion, I don't think it's right to even ask for the points without taking the cruise. For the reasons I described...if you risk taking a trip like this without trip insurance, then there's consequences. And if someone thinks they deserve the points when in a similar situation as the OP, then they'll probably think they deserve them even when they receive insurance compensation. Also my opinion, if it ever were to happen, I think it should be because Carnival decided to do it first, like the instance vicky3vicky mentioned. Not just because someone thought they deserved it. We're here to ask/answer questions and discuss cruise topics. This is just part of the discussion.

• Like 1

I highly doubt anyone would buy short cruises and cancel, lose the money just to get loyalty points as someone else implied.

When I contacted carnival about this it was originally to see if I could get credit for the cruise from 1984. As an afterthought I asked about the one we had to cancel. Honestly at the time I wasn’t thinking about whether we “deserved” it. I wasn’t sure about the policy. 

Maybe it was because I inquired politely, maybe it was the circumstances ( my 20 year old getting cancer and starting treatments a month before the cruise), maybe our email got to the right person at the right time or heck maybe it was a new employee who didn’t know any better....but they gave me the days. That’s all I was telling the OP who asked if anyone has had a similar experience.

• Like 1

What about No showing. paying for the cruise in total & not showing on the day. the room doesn't get re-booked. The no-Show person doesn't get money back from Carnival or insurance. carnival will save on things like house-keeping & other items... Yes, I think you should get the reward points as original poster stated...

6 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

What about No showing. paying for the cruise in total & not showing on the day. the room doesn't get re-booked. The no-Show person doesn't get money back from Carnival or insurance. carnival will save on things like house-keeping & other items... Yes, I think you should get the reward points as original poster stated...

Carnival won't save on housekeeping. An existing steward will just have an empty room in his/her section.  They're not going to send a steward home early from contract or move him/her to another ship because of a no-show on the current cruise.

Similarly, by departure day food has already been ordered based on expected passenger count and historical demand and is on trucks at the port to be loaded on to the ship.  Carnival isn't giing to cancel their order for or return, let's say, a case of steaks because Bob and Mary didn't show up.

Most of Carnival's expenses on a given cruise are fixed whether Bob and Mary show up.  The lost onboard revenue (and profit) from two fewer passengers will exceed any true incremental savings in expenses from a no-show.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

the rules are very specific, "days sailed"

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hunter69 said:

OK. So I am going to be the third person in a cheap inside cabin. I pay maybe $100 over port fees and taxes which I will get returned when I no show or cancel. I should get the 14 points according to your logic. Great way to fast forward to status without ever setting foot on a ship.

Why do so many people think they are so special as to not have the rules apply to them?

• Like 3

The bottom line is you are suppose to be on the ship and sailing to get DAYS CRUISED counted...    If one or two of you happen to get it without actually sailing, then good for you but someone at Carnival didn't do their job properly and might even be paying for it now....fired. let go or gone  

Plus, what if someone who was close to Diamond decided, I can afford to pay the cheapest inside upper/lower cabin, not show up, get my days counted and then be Diamond on my next sailing... You'd be surprised how many people would be willing to do that to "work" their way up the ladder.... 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 1:19 PM, Organized Chaos said:

This opens up a whole new can of worms. How many people who do get reimbursed through their third-party travel insurance will still think they are deserving of the VIFP points for days not sailed, just because other people got it? 

Stirring the pot for a hypothetical crisis... The OP didn't ask about anything like this. people shouldn't assume the worst of people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Elaine515 said:

The bottom line is you are suppose to be on the ship and sailing to get DAYS CRUISED counted...    If one or two of you happen to get it without actually sailing, then good for you but someone at Carnival didn't do their job properly and might even be paying for it now....fired. let go or gone  

Plus, what if someone who was close to Diamond decided, I can afford to pay the cheapest inside upper/lower cabin, not show up, get my days counted and then be Diamond on my next sailing... You'd be surprised how many people would be willing to do that to "work" their way up the ladder.... 

If it makes you feel. better, I did not get anybody fired..in fact looking up the person, he has worked for CCL for 20 years and still does. Also, if someone actually decides to pay for a cruise, cancel and lose the money all for free laundry on their next cruise I would be shocked. 

30 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

Stirring the pot for a hypothetical crisis... The OP didn't ask about anything like this. people shouldn't assume the worst of people.

No crisis. Just possible ways people will dream up to get something they should not. One poster has already stated you should get points if you are a no show. Not a big leap for some to want them if they cancel--oh yeah, that has already been asked for too. It's great to be optimistic about people but many don't live up to your expectations.

On 7/20/2019 at 3:46 PM, Good Buck said:

We had a 8 day cruise on Carnival & paid the full price, but had to cancel, due to illness.  The problem is Carnival's policy is you have to sail to get credit for the days on the VFIP program.  Has anyone fought this & got their days reimbursed?

I feel they got my money & was still able to resell the room, even at a last minute lower price. (had to cancel 2 weeks before the cruise).  We are very close to Diamond & would make it on our net cruise if those 8 days were credited.   Just looking for a little feed back before I start calling to complain.

First of all, it isn't a "problem with Carnival's policy".  It is your issue, since YOU are the one who cancelled.  If you get credit for days sailed, and you end up not sailing, then you don't get those days. Period.

They "got your money"?  Oh well, your cruise contract allows them to keep 100% of your fare when you cancel outside a certain window.  Again, on you and not Carnival.  Your reasons for cancelling are certainly legitimate, but there's nothing you can do about the consequences of that cancellation.

Your next status jump will have to wait until you sail those 8 days.  

• Like 2

22 hours ago, 2wheelin said:

OK. So I am going to be the third person in a cheap inside cabin. I pay maybe $100 over port fees and taxes which I will get returned when I no show or cancel. I should get the 14 points according to your logic. Great way to fast forward to status without ever setting foot on a ship.

Why do so many people think they are so special as to not have the rules apply to them?

Or just put all points to one cruiser whose credit card was used when they book for everyone.  Spouses could just have one person collect all the points and piggyback the other person on all the perks.

3 hours ago, Elaine515 said:

I like your screen name...

31 minutes ago, MamallamaAndDaddy said:

I'm aware of what the OP asked. Boy, some people seem to be under the impression that these discussions, regardless of the topic, can never expand further than what the OP originally stated or asked. Have a good look around these boards. A vast majority of threads are far more than just answering one simple question asked by the OP, and that's not always a bad thing. Discussions do tend to carry on. I'm not assuming the worst. My comments are based on the fact that people actually want credit for days sailed that they didn't sail.

Hypothetical? Yes, but also highly probable. Look at this thread alone. A few users have used this as an opportunity to try to claim VIFP points that they didn't earn. They didn't try it before, but as soon as they read about someone being given the points, they're sure to try now. One person didn't bother trying to claim points for a canceled cruise until about 6 years later. It sure seems like these folks weren't too concerned about being given unearned points until someone else said they got them. So while my situation might technically be "hypothetical," the fact that one person saying Carnival added the points inspired others to try to same thing certainly makes my scenario quite probable. And I'm willing to bet that it's already been tried in the past. Carnival's going to open up the floodgates if they continue doing this.

10 minutes ago, DramaQueen22 said:

Your next status jump will have to wait until you sail those 8 days.  

Coincidentally (or maybe not) the ones in this thread who have said they've asked for unearned VIFP points, or those who said they will ask for them (now that they've seen others get them), were/are on the verge of becoming Platinum and apparently want to make a quick leapfrog to the loyalty status. Hey, maybe I'll be Platinum someday, too, and I'll enjoy the perks that come with it instead of having to buy FTTF. But I'll get there in the manner Carnival has laid out for its passengers. I'm not entitled to VIFP points I didn't earn according to their policy, so I'll never ask for them. And it is simply of my opinion that no one is entitled to them unless they fulfill the agreement made with Carnival, which is to actually spend those days on board.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

the fact that one person saying Carnival added the points inspired others to try to same thing certainly makes my scenario quite probable. And I'm willing to bet that it's already been tried in the past. Carnival's going to open up the floodgates if they continue doing this.

Truth

5 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Coincidentally (or maybe not) the ones in this thread who have said they've asked for unearned VIFP points, or those who said they will ask for them (now that they've seen others get them), were/are on the verge of becoming Platinum and apparently want to make a quick leapfrog to the loyalty status. Hey, maybe I'll be Platinum someday, too, and I'll enjoy the perks that come with it instead of having to buy FTTF. But I'll get there in the manner Carnival has laid out for its passengers. I'm not entitled to VIFP points I didn't earn according to their policy, so I'll never ask for them. And it is simply of my opinion that no one is entitled to them unless they fulfill the agreement made with Carnival, which is to actually spend those days on board.

Yes, the reason it was right before getting to Platinum that I inquired was because in looking, I realized I had not gotten points for a 1984 cruise. I really hadn't bothered checking how many days I had before that. And it is may be your opinion that I wasnt entitled to the other points, apparently it was the opinion of a long time carnival employee that I was. Also, you are making a lot of assumptions about my reasons for asking, my motivation and my timing none of which I need to explain. 

2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

True, however since the beginning of time people want more than they are supposed to get. Policies are policies but need to be enforced evenly or consistently or they will be stretched. Carnival is consistently inconsistent on their policy enforcement. Also, if Carnival wants to allow it it's their choice, even if it's against policy. Social media will hold them accountable if it gets out though... They may, or may not, regret it.