Seaside observations in Aurea

architect1337

We are sailing on a two week back to back in Aurea aft suite and here are some comments. 

Boarding easy. We turned up at 3pm but boarding seems to start around midday. 

Only buffet open on boarding day. 

All staff have pads so can check you cruise card or wrist band for drinks package entitlement etc. 

Water in cabin( bathroom taps) shouldn't be drunk (I spoken to Engineering officer about it) it's recycled sea water. You can get bottled water from all bars. It's Italian spring water and available on most packages. They also do SAN Pellegrino if you prefer fizzy water. 

For free Aurea spa massage, just go to spa and book slot. You can have massage or facial. 

Thermal area is good. Go through spa and they give you towels. 

You get beach towels in cabin which you can take off ship. 

Dress code in main dining room is totally not enforced. Jeans, shorts, even beachwear. Looks especially bad on 'elegant' night. 

Speciality Restaurants really good. Well worth trying. 

First few days, lots of package selling on. Everyone is very nice about it and happy to chat to you about the benefits and will happily take no for an answer. 

MSc for me app works really. Shows you billing info, any reservations you make etc in real time. 

To use the slides, you have to get a band from the pool area after signing a waiver. 

Funpass not really worth it. Arcade only has two video games, one air hockey, bowling, XD cinema and F1 simulator. Overpriced and very busy.

Very busy at bars with too few bar people. 

To get a drink, you need to go to a bar. Very few pool attendants walking around. 

Kids club not great (7-11). Too many kids and staff seemed overwhelmed and little inexperienced. Not sure about other age groups. This is very subjective though as I'm used to kids clubs on Cunard, Celebrity and P&O which are great.

Back to back very well done. You get a special pass to get off when want and jump queues on way back. All staff in terminals knew about it. 

Thats all for now. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, architect1337 said:

Water in cabin( bathroom taps) shouldn't be drunk (I spoken to Engineering officer about it) it's recycled sea water.

Any more information about this? I have never heared that before.

If staff say that it's not good enough to drink I shouldn't even brush my teeth with it.

18 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

Any more information about this? I have never heared that before.

If staff say that it's not good enough to drink I shouldn't even brush my teeth with it.

He called it 'Not potable'. It's not dangerous to drink as it's desalinated sea water so won't harm you but it's not considered drinking water. Depends what you are used to I suppose. 

I've drunk it and it has a chlorine like taste compared to the bottled water they supply on the drinks package (the 1 litre spring water). 

Edited by architect1337

For island hopping. 

Neither Jamaica, Cozumel or Grand Cayman require ID or passport. Nassau does require a passport and you will have to go to immigration if you don't have one on the return (to get a lecture from immigration). They eventually let you back on.  Ironically, they don't check when you get off. 

34 minutes ago, architect1337 said:

For island hopping. 

Neither Jamaica, Cozumel or Grand Cayman require ID or passport. Nassau does require a passport and you will have to go to immigration if you don't have one on the return (to get a lecture from immigration). They eventually let you back on.  Ironically, they don't check when you get off. 

I got back on in Nassau with only my DL and my 17 and 14 yr olds had no ID.   They asked...we said their ages and was waved on.  (This was on July 19....I just got off ship July 20).  

4 hours ago, architect1337 said:

Very busy at bars with too few bar people. 

To get a drink, you need to go to a bar. Very few pool attendants walking around. 

We were Aurea on Seaside and spent a lot of time at the Top 19 Solarium deck. The Miramar bar is located up there and they had plenty of staff walking around taking orders when we wanted something

2 hours ago, nycfa said:

I got back on in Nassau with only my DL and my 17 and 14 yr olds had no ID.   They asked...we said their ages and was waved on.  (This was on July 19....I just got off ship July 20).  

Thats interesting. We would have been on same cruise ( we are on two week back to back). I had my ID but wife and kids didn't have theirs. We are back in Nassau this weekend so will verify. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, architect1337 said:

Thats interesting. We would have been on same cruise ( we are on two week back to back). I had my ID but wife and kids didn't have theirs. We are back in Nassau this weekend so will verify. 

For US Citizens nothing more than a DL is needed at Nassau.  Kids nothing required.

Water same as other ships.  Some bunkered in ports and some made from sea water.  Nothing to report here.

• Like 1

April 2018 in Nassau we had with us a copy of our passport photo page, at the gate returning to the ship we were told next time have your full passport with you? Either do the same for everyone or stop harassing people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidari said:

April 2018 in Nassau we had with us a copy of our passport photo page, at the gate returning to the ship we were told next time have your full passport with you? Either do the same for everyone or stop harassing people.

I must keep this in mind if Ocean Cay isn't open for our cruise and Nassau replaces it as a stop.

Few more observations.  

I bought the standard internet package of 5GB for two devices. Turned out I had a 10GB allowance, shared between the two devices. This is tracked by the login page. 

The speciality restaurants have a deal called a trio, that's three dinners. You can negotiate with different restaurants and they will also add a forth ( the sushi menu) so you can four for three. Kids 12 and under have a special menu for $12. 

The ice cream and chocolate are excellent. The small ice cream cup came as part of our drinks package (classic) an though the cup is small, they pile it high. 

We are Gold members and got a MSC pen and mini backpack as in room gift with bowl of fruit.

The service charge was added to our bill on second day. $12.50 per adult per day and $6.25 for kids. MSC have announced this charge will no longer apply to new UK bookings (presumably included in fare). 

Edited by architect1337

There was a documentary on Seaside shown in the UK  a while ago, they highlighted having one of the most advanced water treatment systems at sea and confirmed it is definitely drinkable. As it is on all of the other ships. I'm sure I've actually read in the onboard literature that it is safe to drink.

Edited by CruisingFox27
  • Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 10:10 PM, architect1337 said:

Checked and in both Nassau and St Thomas, all adults need a government photo ID as well as their cruise card. My UK driving license worked in St. Thomas ( for example).

There is nothing wrong with tap water on any ship. It's probably better than what you drink at home.By the way, NYC draws water from the Hudson River and treats it. It's probably the best tasting water you will ever have. This isn't my opinion, but proven fact.