Why go with Regent?

Twitchly

Hello, all. 

My DH and I took our first cruise together last year with Viking Ocean and had a wonderful time. Since then, Regent has discovered us and we’ve been receiving a lot of their marketing materials. We’re pondering another cruise in a year or two, so we’re looking at options. 

I’ve paged through a bunch of the posts here to get a better picture of how Regent differs from everybody else but it’s still unclear. So I’ll just ask: What sets the Regent experience apart from other cruise lines?

What is important to you may (probably is) be different than what is important to me.  But when looking at if I want to go with a certain cruise line or not I list what I really like about a cruise and see if something like that is available with the cruiseline I am looking at.

We have done 5 Regents cruises and have 2 scheduled. Regent really pampers their guests.  Like with luggage - on mass market cruises I have had to go looking for a suitcase; Deluxe cruise line - the suitcases will make it to our cabin door; Regents will have our suitcases in our room before we get to our cabin.  So,  all cruise lines handle your luggage, but Regents just bumps it up a bit so you feel pampered.

Itinerary is our first priority, then I will start looking at cabin size, cabin layout, what is included with the cabin, passenger count, type of dining, room service, inclusiveness of the cruise.

Since sailing Regent we have selected two non Regent cruises because of the very specific itineraries knowing many of the things we liked about Regents would not be there.  And yes we missed them, these were great cruises but there was just that little extra that wasn't there.

I agree - itinerary is my first priority.  I started cruising with Regent in 2004 and have had maybe 6 or more cruises with them.  I have also cruised their sister company, Oceania, three times.   I am happy with either (though I think Oceania has better food).  Regent includes all alcohol and wine (aside from really premium stuff) and excursions.  you get a lot of choice in each port at no additional cost.  BUT if you don't want to do a lot of excursions - which is generally the rule with us - then Oceania might be the better "deal".

I am very excited about our next cruise in March on Regent - we'll be on the Splendour and cruise from San Diego to Miami which is an itinerary we have done before (on the Mariner) and found fascinating.  Not sure though about the luggage comment above -- it depends I think on which level suite you are in.  We'll be in a Grand Suite and can get into our suite from noon onwards. I do not expect our bags to be in the suite when we go to it.  "Normal" suites have occupancy from 1400-1430 or so which gives the crew much more time to get the bags into the suites!

Edited by Hambagahle

As others have said, what YOU want is the most important thing in choosing a cruise line.  For us, we like the 'all-inclusiveness' we get with a Regent cruise.  Yes, it looks more expensive on the surface, but when you do the math it's actually pretty competitive.  But even when it's a bit more, for US it's worth the extra $$ to have everything lumped together and not getting nickle-and-dimed all the time.  Even if you have a package, I don't like having to swipe my card every time I want a drink or a snack or something.  These little intangibles may not be worth the extra $$ for some people (if it really is 'extra $$') but they are for us.

We took our first ever cruise on Regent (even though we thought it was pretty damn expensive) and by day three we'd booked our next Regent cruise.  🙂   We took one cruise on another line (Cunard) and went right back to Regent - it just seemed to fit us better.  We've done ten now with two more booked.

Is Regent perfect?  No.  Are they the best bang for the buck for US?  Yes.  My suggestion is always to find an itinerary you like and do the cost analysis - you'll usually find that Regent is competitive when you add it all up.  If it's close, book with Regent and see if you like it.  If so, you have a new line to sail with.  If not, well, you still had a nice vacation and you can go back to your other choices.

Good luck and happy sailing whichever you choose!

To expand a bit on the above posts (which I agree with).  You mentioned that you have been on Viking Ocean which is a premium plus cruise line.  I do not believe that alcohol is included in all lounges, during and after meals, etc. on Viking Ocean. Plus, the quality of the alcohol on Regent is far above most non-luxury cruise lines (Patron tequila and Grey Goose vodka for instance).

The money savings is what sets Regent apart because they are the most inclusive of the luxury cruise lines.  No other cruise line includes Business Class international air (Coach in the U.S.).  Regent has included excursions at each port and they are not only bus excursions where the driver points out things as you drive past.  There are excursions that go to museums, churches, cathedrals, ruins and the normal stuff but they also have wine tasting excursions with lunch and/or snacks, hiking excursions ..... pretty much anything you can think of.

If you stay in a concierge or above suite, you also receive an included hotel stay the night prior to embarkation (and get transportation from the airport to the hotel, the hotel to the ship and, after the cruise, back to the airport).

Regent has the most relaxed dress code.  While you can wear just about anything you wish during the day, after 6:00 p.m., long slacks/pants are required (no shorts or jeans) and, for men, a collared shirt (could be a dress shirt or a polo shirt).  For women, almost anything works - slacks, a skirt, a dress, blouse, etc.  Men never need to wear a jacket (unless they want to and quite a few men do on special nights).

All speciality restaurants on Regent have no charge.  On one other luxury line, you can go to a specialty restaurant once but you need to pay if you wish to go subsequent times.  Another luxury cruise line has both included specialty restaurants and ones for which there is a charge.  

Of course, tips are included (on the ship - tour guides are still tipped if they do a good job).  

Obviously, I could go on and on about Regent.  When we took our first cruise in 2004, we had little interest in cruising.  We continued sailing on Regent and, after a few years we tried another luxury line a well as Celebrity and Regent's sister ship NCL but nothing could touch the "family feeling" of Regent.  We were happy to go back to Regent.

There is one negative to cruising on Regent....... it is very addictive.  I say this as we plan for our 34th Regent cruise coming up in November.

Edited by Travelcat2

Travelcat2.

You make it sound like Regent is giving you business class air fare and excursions which other lines do not. They are not giving anything. You are paying for both, If you choose not to use their business class airfare you will get a nice credit. They wouldn't give you a credit if they weren't adding the airfare to the price of the ticket in the first place. As for excursions you they are also included in the fare on;l here you can get no credit so you will pay for them whether you want them or not. I realize a lot of people like everything included but please let's not tout these things as a reason to sail Regent as better than other luxury lines.

I agree with all the above, but let's not forget "nothing is free".  Everything that is included in the fare of the cruise is factored into the price of the cruise.  Once you pick the cruise you want to go, check the line for pricing and be sure you see what each cruise offers for that price.  That said, for us we enjoy Regent for the service and high standards they have for the ship.  We think that and it's only our opinion but the ship itself is a major part of the cruise. 

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

To expand a bit on the above posts (which I agree with).  You mentioned that you have been on Viking Ocean which is a premium plus cruise line.  I do not believe that alcohol is included in all lounges, during and after meals, etc. on Viking Ocean. Plus, the quality of the alcohol on Regent is far above most non-luxury cruise lines (Patron tequila and Grey Goose vodka for instance).

The money savings is what sets Regent apart because they are the most inclusive of the luxury cruise lines.  No other cruise line includes Business Class international air (Coach in the U.S.).  Regent has included excursions at each port and they are not only bus excursions where the driver points out things as you drive past.  There are excursions that go to museums, churches, cathedrals, ruins and the normal stuff but they also have wine tasting excursions with lunch and/or snacks, hiking excursions ..... pretty much anything you can think of.

If you stay in a concierge or above suite, you also receive an included hotel stay the night prior to embarkation (and get transportation from the airport to the hotel, the hotel to the ship and, after the cruise, back to the airport).

Regent has the most relaxed dress code.  While you can wear just about anything you wish during the day, after 6:00 p.m., long slacks/pants are required (no shorts or jeans) and, for men, a collared shirt (could be a dress shirt or a polo shirt).  For women, almost anything works - slacks, a skirt, a dress, blouse, etc.  Men never need to wear a jacket (unless they want to and quite a few men do on special nights).

All speciality restaurants on Regent have no charge.  On one other luxury line, you can go to a specialty restaurant once but you need to pay if you wish to go subsequent times.  Another luxury cruise line has both included specialty restaurants and ones for which there is a charge.  

Of course, tips are included (on the ship - tour guides are still tipped if they do a good job).  

Obviously, I could go on and on about Regent.  When we took our first cruise in 2004, we had little interest in cruising.  We continued sailing on Regent and, after a few years we tried another luxury line a well as Celebrity and Regent's sister ship NCL but nothing could touch the "family feeling" of Regent.  We were happy to go back to Regent.

There is one negative to cruising on Regent....... it is very addictive.  I say this as we plan for our 34th Regent cruise coming up in November.

wripro - at this point, I believe that everyone knows that we pay for whatever the cruise ship is providing - from your accommodations, food, crew salaries, etc., etc., etc.

The TS wanted to know what makes Regent stand out.  One reason that Regent stands out is the inclusivity (yes - that we pay for in the fare).  One positive of all-inclusive cruise lines is that you know exactly what you will paying for the cruise and can board the ship, enjoy your cruise and depart the ship without spending extra $$$.  Regent simply includes more than other cruise lines.  This an be looked upon as a positive or negative.  

Passengers like yourself (and me to a big extent) that do not want excursions to be included (as an example) have choices of other cruise lines.  For passengers that want everything taken care of for them, there is Regent.  

Regent fares can be higher than other lines but one must weigh what is important to them.  If you sail Crystal, Seabourn or Silversea, and you want to take their excursions, it increases the price of the cruise.  And, if you want Business Class air, it is a large bump in price.  IMO, people need to do comparisons for themselves.

1 hour ago, wripro said:

Travelcat2.

You make it sound like Regent is giving you business class air fare and excursions which other lines do not. They are not giving anything. You are paying for both, If you choose not to use their business class airfare you will get a nice credit. They wouldn't give you a credit if they weren't adding the airfare to the price of the ticket in the first place. As for excursions you they are also included in the fare on;l here you can get no credit so you will pay for them whether you want them or not. I realize a lot of people like everything included but please let's not tout these things as a reason to sail Regent as better than other luxury lines.

1 hour ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree with all the above, but let's not forget "nothing is free".  Everything that is included in the fare of the cruise is factored into the price of the cruise.  Once you pick the cruise you want to go, check the line for pricing and be sure you see what each cruise offers for that price.  That said, for us we enjoy Regent for the service and high standards they have for the ship.  We think that and it's only our opinion but the ship itself is a major part of the cruise. 

I don't want to see this thread turned into a 'Free vs. Included' discussion if we can avoid it.  I think we all know that NOTHING is free - but sometimes when people are pricing out Regent for the first time they tend to overlook things that Regent includes in their cruise fare (BC air, tips, excursions, alcohol, etc.).  It's been my experience that when researching cruises, Regent's advertised price, although high, is MUCH closer to what you'll actually pay for the cruise when it's all said and done.  I know I originally looked at other luxury lines that appeared to offer as much for less money but when you add it all up, they were actually pretty close.

I'm sure you get this on the other luxury lines, too, but another thing we really like is when we board a Regent ship we invariably run into a few crew members who remember us from previous cruises and they never fail to offer us a hearty 'welcome home!' and a warm smile.  It's these kinds of things that keep us coming back year in and year out.

With regard to the included business class air, one should really do their homework.  Sometimes it might make sense to take the credit that Regent offers for air, and then either buy your own air, or perhaps use points.  We have done both.

I do choose Regent because of the inclusions and the sense of relaxed luxury onboard.  I think we're all aware that the Business class airfare is something that we pay for, it's not free, but the inclusion is often a great one--frequently you can't do your own air for any decent price.  So I like this about them.  I also like the feeling that I don't have to sign for anything, anywhere on the ship outside the spa or shop.  Your wish is their command.  And I do like most of the included excursions, and don't mind spending a little extra for a particularly nice enhanced excursion.

They also are known for their great standard cabins--the smallest is Mariner, only 300', but Voyager and Navigator are bigger than that.  Explorer has a range of cabins, some smaller, but I believe most are also a good size.

Just now, RJ2002 said:

With regard to the included business class air, one should really do their homework.  Sometimes it might make sense to take the credit that Regent offers for air, and then either buy your own air, or perhaps use points.  We have done both.

I'm sure there are others much more knowledgeable than me who will chime in, but I've never been able to find decent BC airfares that fit within Regent's air credit allowance.  Using miles or points is usually the way to go if you have that option, but for those of us who don't travel enough to earn all those points the included air usually works out best (in my experience).

• Like 1

We have been getting the Regent brochures for years and finally booked a cruise after we compared itineraries and price with almost every other cruise line offering a similar world cruise. If you liked Viking Ocean, compare one of their cruises with a similar  Regent cruise: length, itinerary, useful included items. Assess price with daily gratuities, alcohol that you usually drink, flight to and from destinations, number of excursions you like to take. The outcome of your comparison may be different for each itinerary.

4 minutes ago, UUNetBill said:

I'm sure there are others much more knowledgeable than me who will chime in, but I've never been able to find decent BC airfares that fit within Regent's air credit allowance.  Using miles or points is usually the way to go if you have that option, but for those of us who don't travel enough to earn all those points the included air usually works out best (in my experience).

Agree, using miles/points for discounted/saver business class seats is many times the most attractive option.  Of course, FINDING those seats can sometimes be a challenge!   We travel so much that seeking out the best airfare arrangements (on a decent carrier) is sort of my mission in life - LOL.   I enjoy the challenge, but I totally get how others would find value in Regent's included air.  It is a nice option. 

Agree with Bill's comments regarding included air.  If you have points or airline miles, by all means use them, but if not, you will probably find that you cannot purchase BC air for less than or equal to the air credit you will receive, even if you include air deviation.

Two of the main differences between premium lines like Viking Ocean, Azamara, and Oceania compared to luxury lines like Regent, Crystal, Seabourn, and others are:  (1) Space on the ship per passenger: the luxury lines typically have about 35% more space per passenger.  (2) Number of passengers per staff: the luxury lines typically have almost half the number of passengers for each staff member.

There are also all the intangibles that others have already mentioned here.

Finally, If one constructs an "all in" spreadsheet comparing premium and luxury lines, depending on the particular sailing and your own preferences the difference in cost can be surprisingly small. For me, for example, a long flight in economy is not an option, so the all-in cost includes at least premium economy air.

I really enjoyed reading all the various comments on why to choose Regent over another line.

Prior to taking our first ( and only) Regent cruise, we had sailed on a  few different lines...

Princess, Holland, Royal Caribbean and Celebrity. We enjoyed the experiences however after taking our 

first Regent cruise in 2018 we discovered what we had been missing. We throughly enjoyed not

having to take out a CC every time we wanted a drink or to dine in a specialty restaurant.

We loved the size of our cabin and having more than enough room to put everything.

We even had drawers that we never used and loved the walk in closet.

It was very nice to be able to choose from a variety of excursions at NO EXTRA cost.

One of the better parts for us was flying business class to Europe. We had been to

Europe quite a few times but always flew in coach ( no more).

Well, we were so impressed that we are booked for two more cruise in 2020.

I guess that says it all!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, UUNetBill said:

Just remember Bill, the amount of credit you receive is most likely less than the amount included in the fare for your flights.  And your ability to use the credit for flights on your own is dependent on where you live and are traveling to.  You see, Regenit includes the same amount of dollars in everybodies cruise fare for the air.  Most likely using the cost for an average US flight to embarkation and home from disembarkation.   Some people live much closer to the cruise while some live much further away thus if you live closer, you may be able to buy your flights with your credit while if you live further your credit won't cover the flight costs.

1 hour ago, rallydave said:

Just remember Bill, the amount of credit you receive is most likely less than the amount included in the fare for your flights.  

Please share with us why you assume that the amount of credit we receive is likely less than the amount included in the fare for your flights.  This sounds like a generalization.  We have had an air credit (for two) of $12K and cannot imagine that we paid more than that in our cruise fare. 

17 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Please share with us why you assume that the amount of credit we receive is likely less than the amount included in the fare for your flights.  This sounds like a generalization.  We have had an air credit (for two) of $12K and cannot imagine that we paid more than that in our cruise fare. 

Yes it is a generalization and may at times not be true.  Simply go to itamatrix and look at some of the fares overseas from various locations in  the  US and Canada and you will see many and probably most over the $3000 each way per person you were credited.  Agree Regent doesn't pay the full values with their contract prices but, booking flights at  the 75 day mark for many passengers are subject to having to pay more and that all needs to be figured into the cruise pricing since Regent is a profit making company they will attempt to make profits on all amounts paid.  Nothing wrong with that but, extremely few business class overseas flights are less than $3000 each way especially for exotic flights to SE Asia, South Africa and the like.  I've looked at a TA sight that has a chart of credits for different cruises and believe $3000 is the largest credit.

So yes, a generalization based on experience and perusal of many airline sites and checking fares for trips we are doing.  Just like no way for customers to know what is included in the fares for port charges, excursions, and all the other items that make up the fare, no way without seeing the actual numbers that are closely help to know the whole story.

I have no problem with Regent "including" business class air and excursions in their fares. They just shouldn't advertise them as free. But any line that posts a brochure fare as what the fare should actually be and then gives you a 50% off fare alongside it to make you think you are getting a bargain will hardly be honest when it comes to any part of its marketing.

The OP asked what makes Regent stand out. That makes them stand out and not in a good way.

6 minutes ago, wripro said:

I have no problem with Regent "including" business class air and excursions in their fares. They just shouldn't advertise them as free. But any line that posts a brochure fare as what the fare should actually be and then gives you a 50% off fare alongside it to make you think you are getting a bargain will hardly be honest when it comes to any part of its marketing.

The OP asked what makes Regent stand out. That makes them stand out and not in a good way.

I respectfully disagree.  As soon as one gets on the Regent website or reads a Regent brochure, it clearly states what the cost of the cruise is with air, and then how much will be deducted if you decline Regent air.  In all of the cruises we have taken there has only been one time when we were able to make better airline reservations for less than Regent deducted.  In every other case, it would cost us more, or much more, if we wanted to book our own business class reservations.  That being said, if you have the miles and you can get the flights you want or you want to fly economy (???), then take the money and pay less for your cruise.

Right now we are booked on an Azamara cruise for the first time in many years.  While the price of our suite was very reasonable, by the time we added the air, the hotel the night before, the shore excursions, and the ultimate alcohol package, there is not that much different.  In addition, the are the hours I spent researching shore excursions and booking them.  We are never been on a Regent cruise where we didn't find a shore excursion in each port that we were happy to take.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rallydave said:

Yes it is a generalization and may at times not be true.  Simply go to itamatrix and look at some of the fares overseas from various locations in  the  US and Canada and you will see many and probably most over the $3000 each way per person you were credited.  Agree Regent doesn't pay the full values with their contract prices but, booking flights at  the 75 day mark for many passengers are subject to having to pay more and that all needs to be figured into the cruise pricing since Regent is a profit making company they will attempt to make profits on all amounts paid.  Nothing wrong with that but, extremely few business class overseas flights are less than $3000 each way especially for exotic flights to SE Asia, South Africa and the like.  I've looked at a TA sight that has a chart of credits for different cruises and believe $3000 is the largest credit.

So yes, a generalization based on experience and perusal of many airline sites and checking fares for trips we are doing.  Just like no way for customers to know what is included in the fares for port charges, excursions, and all the other items that make up the fare, no way without seeing the actual numbers that are closely help to know the whole story.

Does your experience include working for Regent?  Not sure how you would know how much Regent pays for their contracted flights as this seems to be a closely  held secret.  In order to make the comments you did, one would need to know how much the contracted flight cost Regent - how much the air credit is - and, finally, how much of the Regent fare is charged to passengers.

Actually, this is getting off track.  This is not necessarily what the TS is looking for so perhaps we should allow the thread to continue on topic!?