Huge price drop since booked... thoughts/advice?

Booked a balcony room on a cruise about 75 days from sail date. I've been watching the price slowly drop over the past few weeks from $400, to $800, to $1000, to now noticing the price has dropped almost $1200 from booking. We are less than 30 days from cruise date and they offered us $100 OBC a few weeks ago when it was around a $400-$800 drop. That seemed a little small at the time, but now it seems just absurd given the larger difference. A $400 or under price fluctuation I would see as more normal perhaps, but $800-$1200 is shocking. I've compared to other lines that I originally looked at and the prices seem to be about the same (+/- $200 which is reasonable). Has anyone else have this happened to them, and if so, was there anything you could do?

36 minutes ago, Outerdog said:

No such rule, general or otherwise.

And I think you know that, dude.

Actually......yes. 25% difference between fare paid and lower advertised fare when we called as OBC !!!

• Like 2

The greatly reduced price might be what is known as a Sailaway Price. You get no amenities on the Sailaway cabins.

Your cabin probably included some amenities like a dinner package or drink package, etc.

What cruise are you going on? What amenities did you get? 

I booked a Western Caribbean cruise with NCL a few years back and I kept watch on the price.  I had a studio cabin. The price dropped below what I had paid for my studio and my cruise consultant did get me into a balcony.

I would take the $100 if it is still available and see if they can upgrade you into a better cabin or get you an additional amenity.

• Like 1

What other cruise lines have these ridiculous price drops like NCL? None of the other “big 3” cruise lines fluctuate by thousands of dollars for a basic balcony cabin since booking. This seems to be NCL price model. Overcharge Mr. and Mrs. “we play it safe with our vacations” and expect them to be too naive to realize they could have saved a boat load of money.

You might consider a cabin upgrade with or without perks bennies promos carried forward - - -

-OR-

If you elect to take the OBC (25% of the fare reduction per person) it will be a one time deal.

Your reservation will be flagged as having accepted this in lieu of any other refunding upgrading.

If you do not find upgrading a solution then  you would be wise at that point of the $1200 *** reduction

taking  $300 in OBC and that will be your best offer.

*** $1200 for the cabin divided by 2 guests is $600 - 25% = $150 per person - total $300.

You can have it applied in full to the primary lead guests account or split it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

What other cruise lines have these ridiculous price drops like NCL? None of the other “big 3” cruise lines fluctuate by thousands of dollars for a basic balcony cabin since booking. This seems to be NCL price model. Overcharge Mr. and Mrs. “we play it safe with our vacations” and expect them to be too naive to realize they could have saved a boat load of money.

This is very much part of it  ............. They drop prices the last 60 days to fill those leftover cabins as well. NCL rule of thumb for best prices is book two years or two days before your cruise to get the best price. 

6 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Overcharge Mr. and Mrs. “we play it safe with our vacations” and expect them to be too naive to realize they could have saved a boat load of money.

It just isn't that simple.

There are so many more reasons why people will book early than just being naive.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, CoolCruiser17 said:

Booked a balcony room on a cruise about 75 days from sail date. I've been watching the price slowly drop over the past few weeks from $400, to $800, to $1000, to now noticing the price has dropped almost $1200 from booking. We are less than 30 days from cruise date and they offered us $100 OBC a few weeks ago when it was around a $400-$800 drop. That seemed a little small at the time, but now it seems just absurd given the larger difference. A $400 or under price fluctuation I would see as more normal perhaps, but $800-$1200 is shocking. I've compared to other lines that I originally looked at and the prices seem to be about the same (+/- $200 which is reasonable). Has anyone else have this happened to them, and if so, was there anything you could do?

I know you don't want to hear this, but here I go anyway. This is one reason it sometimes isn't a good idea to continue to check pricing after final payment. You must have been satisfied with the price you paid or you would not have booked. Just take the $100, enjoy the fun or spending money on the ship you would not be spending otherwise and remember they do not have to offer you anything after final payment. If you purchase  car, take it home, never drive it anywhere and the next morning you learn the same car is on sale for $1000.00 left than you paid, I wonder if the car lot would give you money off the purchase you made a day before? Also are you sure the price drop is with all the perks you got originally or maybe they only have 1 cabin available at the discounted price? Remember you will always find someone who got a better deal than you got. 

I remember being on a Princess cruise a few years ago and was shocked to hear someone at the breakfast table quote the price they had gotten on the same type of cabin we had. It didn't bother me one bit, just surprised me.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Outerdog said:

No such rule, general or otherwise.

And I think you know that, dude.

Maybe not the rule, but pretty much the policy. But when they offer something like the OBC once, if you don't grab it, there is assurance it will be offered the next time you call. 

Honestly, I’d just look at which cabins are currently priced at the price you paid; you might be able to upgrade to a higher category.  

But, in general, that’s the breaks...would you feel bad if the price went up by $1000 and call in to offer to pay more?

I didn’t think so.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, newmexicoNita said:

I remember being on a Princess cruise a few years ago and was shocked to hear someone at the breakfast table quote the price they had gotten on the same type of cabin we had. It didn't bother me one bit, just surprised me.

I remember a few years ago speaking to someone on the Epic, and they were very pleased with their last minute deal (booked about a week out). They had paid about £250 less than we did for a similar category room.

Later in the conversation I found out that their airfare had cost nearly £1,000 more than ours had.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

You might consider a cabin upgrade with or without perks bennies promos carried forward - - -

This.  I was able to secure a cabin upgrade two times for a cruise I took in June on Breakaway.  Each time the price dropped, I called and was upgraded to the equivalent price category and I kept all my original perks (except the thermal suite).  Went from haven spa suite to have aft suite before it was all done.  For me, this was better than the OBC.  But, technically, NCL didn't have to do anything.  I recommend that you stop watching the price (unless you're watching for an opportunity such as this) and just prepare to enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

This topic has been discussed many times.

I too had a room that dropped $1000 ($250 pp) after final payment but that's my luck.

I did not get an OBC, an upgrade to a different room -- just the cruise I originally booked and enjoyed the vacation with my family.

Have fun on your cruise and don't think about it.

Edited by xcell
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

I am glad I am not alone in thinking exactly this. In all my and my husband says in all of his many many years of cruising he has never seen any line drop by more than $500-600. He was scratching his head when it had gotten over $1,000 under what we paid ($500 per person) and now currently sitting at just shy under $1,200 less than what we paid. ($600 per person)... We booked around 75 days out so to drop $1200 in around 45 days since we book is just crazy.

We checked back on price as it was higher than we had ever dreamed of paying for a cruise in a balcony room and now we see why it was inflated by at least $1,200. haha Lesson learned if we ever cruise NCL again we need to book less than 30 days out to get the best deal. That isn't really a good thing for NCL that they are teaching people to book this late as I am sure that can't be easy for staff to plan for orders when a ship fills up super quick in the last min...

Yes just for the record the price in discussion is for same type cabin booked. We booked balcony with free at sea perks and currently comparing to a balcony with free at sea perks.

No upgrade offered as they said they don't have any to give so just a $100 OBC.

Edited by CoolCruiser17

2 minutes ago, CoolCruiser17 said:

I am glad I am not alone in thinking exactly this. In all my and my husband says in all of his many many years of cruising he has never seen any line drop by more than $500-600. He was scratching his head when it had gotten over $1,000 under what we paid ($500 per person) and now currently sitting at just shy under $1,200 less than what we paid. ($600 per person)... We booked around 75 days out so to drop $1200 in around 45 days since we book is just crazy.

We checked back on price as it was higher than we had ever dreamed of paying for a cruise in a balcony room and now we see why it was inflated by at least $1,200. haha Lesson learned if we ever cruise NCL again we need to book less than 30 days out to get the best deal. That isn't really a good thing for NCL that they are teaching people to book this late as I am sure that can't be easy for staff to plan for orders when a ship fills up super quick in the last min...

Yes just for the record the price in discussion is for same type cabin booked. We booked balcony with free at sea perks and currently comparing to a balcony with free at sea perks.

No upgrade offered as they said they don't have any to give so just a $100 OBC.

Or booking early can work as well.

There is no simple answer that covers all eventualities. Waiting until late can work, depending on your circumstances, but sometimes it doesn't. However, we have always found that booking a way out gives good pricing, and prices more often than not go up (sometimes significantly) from there.

It does depend a bit on the times that you are cruising. However, in my experience the sort of time that you booked seems to very often give the worst prices (but certainly not always). They have often been rising up to that point and then (depending on hope the ship is selling) then can fall back after final payment.

Like everything, look at the circumstances and use that to try to make the best decisions.

I've read here that sometimes people call the cruise company several times and get different operators who offer different perks, upgrades, etc.  Try calling a few times and see if anyone will offer you an upgrade.  Also helps if you are a repeat customer instead of a first time cruiser on that line.

12 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Overcharge Mr. and Mrs. “we play it safe with our vacations” and expect them to be too naive to realize they could have saved a boat load of money. 

Prices are like a rollercoaster. They go up, down, up, down... It all depends on when you hop on. Some guests book early, watch prices go up, then watch prices go back down. In many cases, they never go below the early price (until after final payment date).

It’s the price you pay to have your vacation set in stone and sail date guaranteed.  If you’re willing to take a chance, book at the last minute.  I’ve been tracking cruise prices in general for a while, and to me it seems like the vast majority of NCL cruises start much higher than they are weeks before sailing.  If you’re flexible with your dates, there are some great deals to be had.

Sailing out of NYC October 27 on Escape, obviously final payment has already been made.

I saw that our Mini Suite (Cat MA) price dropped $180.00 each for my husband and I.  I called NCL today asked if we could get something like maybe OBC without losing all our promos.

She said no OBC but I’ll see if I can get you an upgrade to a Mini Suite with a Large Balcony (Cat MA-M6).

She put me on hold for quite a while (had to check with a Supervisor), came back told me where it was and I accepted the upgrade, with all my existing promos.

You have nothing to lose by asking.

• Like 2