Why will no Oasis class ship home port / visit Boston?

soremekun

Occasionally, Anthem of the Seas will do a Canada / New England itinerary and visit Boston.  When the Oasis of the Seas does a similar itinerary, it skips Boston.

The Anthem has a draft of 29 feet.  Oasis has a draft of 31 feet.  Queen Mary 2 has a draft of 34 feet and visits Boston.

Per this article, the harbor depth should be sufficient.

So my questions are:

Can the harbor and cruise port accomodate an Oasis class ship?

Why do you think an Oasis class ship will not home port / visit Boston for at least during the months of May - September?

Edited by soremekun
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Why do you think an Oasis class ship will not home port / visit Boston for at least during the months of May - September?

Home porting would likely require significant upgrades to the cruise terminal and associated infrastructure.

Perhaps it's more than depth.  

Width wise when we stopped in Boston on Adventure it felt tight going into the channel in front of the terminals.  I can't imagine Oasis would have fit if another ship is present.

In Key West it isn't depth but dog legs in the channel into the harbor that keep Voyager class out.  They tried it once IIRC but haven't since.

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Home porting would likely require significant upgrades to the cruise terminal and associated infrastructure.

Agree, small Facilities for that many passengers getting on/off with only 2 medium size rooms. Port Everglades Oasis Class uses are 4 times size of Bostons

Edited by ONECRUISER

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Sailed out of Black Falcon Terminal once. It was a circus act coming and going and that was on Jewel. Can't imagine what an Oasis Class would bring.

They chose Bayonne because New York is a much bigger market for Oasis class than Boston is. I think the whole exercise of bringing Oasis to Bayonne, especially the singular New England/Canada cruise, is an experiment and/or a marketing stunt. If it is successful then maybe some year they will further experiment with calling at Boston, but I seriously doubt Boston will ever be a home port for her class.

I"m planning to drive to Portland to see Oasis come in next summer. That should be quite a spectacle.

3 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Sailed out of Black Falcon Terminal once. It was a circus act coming and going and that was on Jewel. Can't imagine what an Oasis Class would bring.

We have sailed from there a few times but only once when there were two ships embarking at the same time, that was crazy.  We sail again in October and there are three ships in port, but two are on ports of call, so shouldn't be as bad.  Jewel and Brilliance weren't too bad, hoping Serenade will be the same.  NCL was crazy disembarking, won't be doing that again anytime soon.

11 hours ago, Pratique said:

They chose Bayonne because New York is a much bigger market for Oasis class than Boston is. I think the whole exercise of bringing Oasis to Bayonne, especially the singular New England/Canada cruise, is an experiment and/or a marketing stunt. If it is successful then maybe some year they will further experiment with calling at Boston, but I seriously doubt Boston will ever be a home port for her class.

I"m planning to drive to Portland to see Oasis come in next summer. That should be quite a spectacle.

Can you record it and upload the video to YouTube?

I don’t have any interest in a Canada New England itinerary. However,  if I did decide to sail that route it would be on Quantum class ship. It’s the only class ship among the all of the lines that sail that itinerary that’s designed for cold/rainy weather. Oasis is so limited as to where they can dock and I can’t imagine them filling that ship in the fall with families. 

2 hours ago, mets123 said:

Could the width of the ship be the issue?  Quantum class is 138 feet, I believe, and Oasis about 210 feet. I may be off by a few feet on either ship, but you get my point.

16 hours ago, twangster said:

Perhaps it's more than depth.  

Width wise when we stopped in Boston on Adventure it felt tight going into the channel in front of the terminals.  I can't imagine Oasis would have fit if another ship is present.

In Key West it isn't depth but dog legs in the channel into the harbor that keep Voyager class out.  They tried it once IIRC but haven't since.

My gosh she is thick and wide.  But I love her!

Perhaps width is a factor with this ship porting in Boston.

On 9/8/2019 at 6:01 PM, soremekun said:

Occasionally, Anthem of the Seas will do a Canada / New England itinerary and visit Boston.  When the Oasis of the Seas does a similar itinerary, it skips Boston.

The Anthem has a draft of 29 feet.  Oasis has a draft of 31 feet.  Queen Mary 2 has a draft of 34 feet and visits Boston.

Per this article, the harbor depth should be sufficient.

So my questions are:

Can the harbor and cruise port accomodate an Oasis class ship?

My guess was depth and demand, but that should change in time

On 9/9/2019 at 12:07 PM, soremekun said:

My gosh she is thick and wide.  But I love her!

Perhaps width is a factor with this ship porting in Boston.

IMG_20160406_150416.jpg.f3cb43739fb366f9ad58e28412c98812.jpg

And yes, I know it's a ship

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/9/2019 at 9:20 AM, mets123 said:

Could the width of the ship be the issue?  Quantum class is 138 feet, I believe, and Oasis about 210 feet. I may be off by a few feet on either ship, but you get my point.

The difference in beam is not as great as this.  You are comparing Quantum's waterline beam to Oasis' maximum beam.  The figures for comparison are:

Waterline beam

Oasis:  154 ft

Quantum:  136 ft

Maximum beam (bridge wings, lifeboats, restaurant humps, no effect on navigation)

Oasis:  198 ft

Quantum:  162 ft

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

The difference in beam is not as great as this.  You are comparing Quantum's waterline beam to Oasis' maximum beam.  The figures for comparison are:

Waterline beam

Oasis:  154 ft

Quantum:  136 ft

Maximum beam (bridge wings, lifeboats, restaurant humps, no effect on navigation)

Oasis:  198 ft

Quantum:  162 ft

Chief, did you get these figures from a publicly accessible website?

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

I'll admit to using Wiki.

Reason I asked is that I've used Wiki before and seen some numbers that don't make sense, so I figured there must be some authoritative source (USCG?) that professionals use.

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Reason I asked is that I've used Wiki before and seen some numbers that don't make sense, so I figured there must be some authoritative source (USCG?) that professionals use.

Marinetraffic has some of this data, and the "official" site would be the class society site, if you know which one the company uses.