Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
seasidemama

4 night weekend cruises out of NJ

Recommended Posts

I wish they had some 4 night Thu-Mon cruises out of NJ, especially on holiday weekends.  Ncl/carnival having them exclusively it seems.

 

would give us working parents with limited vacation days more opportunities to enjoy cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where would it cruise to. 

 

We would need a foreign port. Cannot cruise to nowhere anymore. 

 

Bermuda is too far. Is Nova Scotia or New Brunswick too far also?

Edited by LadyBeBop

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, LadyBeBop said:

Where would it cruise to. 

 

We would need a foreign port. Cannot cruise to nowhere anymore. 

 

Bermuda is too far. Is Nova Scotia or New Brunswick too far also?

 

I wonder what foreign port NCL and Carnival are using?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Bermuda and Canada are possible and have been done, but on rare occasions. It would just be a short day stop, something like 8-4, and then head back to Bayonne. Royal does have five days overnighting in Bermuda all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I wonder what foreign port NCL and Carnival are using?

Carnival uses Bermuda, three times this past year. And they have used either of the Canadian ports in the past. I did it plenty of times myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, mets123 said:

Carnival uses Bermuda, three times this past year. And they have used either of the Canadian ports in the past. I did it plenty of times myself.

 

Thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

 

I wonder what foreign port NCL and Carnival are using?

 

13 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I didn’t realize NCL did 4 night cruises out of NYC.

NCL has a few 4 night cruises from NY to Bermuda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what the pricing is like on those 4 night NCL and Carnival cruises.

 

I would think that they would have to be rather high to justify using all that fuel to speed to and from a foreign port.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I didn’t realize NCL did 4 night cruises out of NYC.

 

Wow, glad Norwegian followed Carnival's 4 night Bermuda plan for 2020.

 

NCL used to do cruises to nowhere which were wonderful!  2 night weekend cruises.   But the law of having to port in a foreign country was enforced beginning maybe 2014 or 5--NCL's last CTN was in December of one of those years and it was a blast.  

 

We did the Carnival Sunrise 4 nighter to Bermuda in May.   Fun too but there are only a few of them.  And they are not cheap $ by any means.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I wonder what the pricing is like on those 4 night NCL and Carnival cruises.

 

I would think that they would have to be rather high to justify using all that fuel to speed to and from a foreign port.

 

Carnival Sunrise June 13 2020, 4 nights out of NYC.  Base rates (I assume getaway or whatever non-reserved rooms price) inside $554, outside $654, balcony $854 pp plus port fees taxes, etc.  In Bermuda 1 day from 8 to 4.  Royal has a 5 night one (not the Anthem) for about $100 more pp; you get a day and a half in Bermuda.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@LadyBeBop, I've sailed on a 4 night Bermuda sailing on the Carnival Horizon, and we were there from 9-5, and returned to New York at around 10am. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, seasidemama said:

I wish they had some 4 night Thu-Mon cruises out of NJ, especially on holiday weekends.  Ncl/carnival having them exclusively it seems.

 

would give us working parents with limited vacation days more opportunities to enjoy cruising.

 

The 5 night Anthem cruises to Bermuda run Sat - Thurs.  If you do walk off might even make it to work Thursday.  Quite a few 7 night sailings scheduled from Bayonne on Empress, Anthem and Oasis.  Have you checked to see if any are on holiday weeks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LadyBeBop said:

Where would it cruise to. 

 

We would need a foreign port. Cannot cruise to nowhere anymore. 

 

Bermuda is too far. Is Nova Scotia or New Brunswick too far also?

Bermuda is not too far to go to for the day.  I will be sailing on the Serenade of the Seas departing this Wed. out  of Boston and we will be in Bermuda Friday morning for the day and returning back to Boston and be there Sunday morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, LadyBerard said:

Bermuda is not too far to go to for the day.  I will be sailing on the Serenade of the Seas departing this Wed. out  of Boston and we will be in Bermuda Friday morning for the day and returning back to Boston and be there Sunday morning.

 

But this wasn’t scheduled. 

 

You are only doing a four night because your five night was shortened by the effect of Hurricane Dorian on the cruise before yours. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

But this wasn’t scheduled. 

 

You are only doing a four night because your five night was shortened by the effect of Hurricane Dorian on the cruise before yours. 

 

 

 

I think the point was that Bermuda is not too far for a 4-night cruise as they actually are doing it in 4 nights from Boston. It's not like the laws of Physics were temporarily suspended to make the shortened cruise possible. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Etta1213 said:

I guess I should know this, but why is a foreign port required?

A few years ago the US government ruled that cruise ships could no longer do "cruise to nowhere" itineraries because most foreign nationality crew members did not have the appropriate visas that would allow them to work on a ship that never made  a port call in a foreign country. Without making a foreign port call the ship is deemed to have never actually left the US; hence the crew would be considered working in the US for the entire cruise, something not permitted without a proper visa. 

 

On other than a cruise to nowhere foreign flagged cruise ships can't cruise from a US port and only call on other US ports under the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

 

So there are two different rules in play...one concerning visas if it's a cruise to nowhere and one concerning the PVSA if it's a cruise making port calls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

A few years ago the US government ruled that cruise ships could no longer do "cruise to nowhere" itineraries because most foreign nationality crew members did not have the appropriate visas that would allow them to work on a ship that never made  a port call in a foreign country. Without making a foreign port call the ship is deemed to have never actually left the US; hence the crew would be considered working in the US for the entire cruise, something not permitted without a proper visa. 

 

On other than a cruise to nowhere foreign flagged cruise ships can't cruise from a US port and only call on other US ports under the Passenger Vessel Services Act.

 

So there are two different rules in play...one concerning visas if it's a cruise to nowhere and one concerning the PVSA if it's a cruise making port calls.

I appreciate the info😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

 

The 5 night Anthem cruises to Bermuda run Sat - Thurs.  If you do walk off might even make it to work Thursday.  Quite a few 7 night sailings scheduled from Bayonne on Empress, Anthem and Oasis.  Have you checked to see if any are on holiday weeks?

 

 

I think the first 5 night that falls on a holiday week is a year from now.

 

7 night is a full week off work. I was just engaging in port envy.. all those weekend trips FL folks can take throughout the year.

 

I realize we can’t have 3 night cruises because of silly politics but 4 night sailings would be very popular for my demographic (working/kids).

 

Next new ship should do 10/4 schedules out of NJ!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My daughter and I did a 3 night cruise on Anthem of the Seas leaving from Bayonne-in March a few years ago. We were supposed to go nowhere but head north. The night before, it snowed In New Jersey and we headed to the North Carolina/Virginia area. It’s too bad they don’t still do them!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did the 3 nighter anthem in 2016 with a group...it was a fun way to celebrate my sister's 50th bday that weekend.  Before that there was a 2 nighter Quantum..in Nov  prob 2014 or so that I took my nephew on so he could see that class of ship without missing any of his college classes.  Then the rules changed and the nowhere cruises were no more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...