Horizon / Live / Solo - Sep 21-29-2019

sid_9169

4 hours ago, sid_9169 said:

Thanks to all of you, this "review" is on a trajectory to be my biggest ever... I really appreciate all of you who chimed in along the way, and to all of you "lurkers"... I will thank each and every one of you by username when I return to reality...

- I am one of those “ lurkers” but  I felt the need to post to say I really enjoyed your review. I had a really stressful few days and your review gave me something to look forward to and distract me so thanks for that! 

• Like 1

Since I'm operating on very few calories today, I walked down to Holeman and Finch on Peachtree... They have a burger that is out. of. this. world... It's normally $17 just for the burger, but on Saturday and Sunday afternoon, they have a special that includes a beer for $10... It's literally the best deal in town. Wait until you see this burger... The owner, Linton Hopkins owns one of the premier and most expensive restaurants in town, Eugene... They're known for farm to table, fresh ingredients, ect...

• Like 2

Welcome home Wilson!

During the time that you traveled today, I spent cleaning out my garage. Eww.  I swept out leaves, broke down boxes for recycling, and realized I really gotta stop ordering from Amazon.  LOL! 

Your next cruise is right around the corner.  That deserves a BIG SMILE!  I will be watching for your review of the Encore in the style that you do which is honest, real time, and not influenced.

See ya soon 🙂

• Like 1

That was just what I needed to get ready for the rest of my day... Their burger is just indescribable. They even make their own ketchup and mustard.

This picture doesn't really do it justice. You would just have to taste for yourself.

IMG_20190929_152346.jpg

• Like 8

More of the H&F burger, and the grilled okra...IMG_20190929_152354.thumb.jpg.d76fa1933f1476b04becf8b338a3c330.jpg

IMG_20190929_152356.thumb.jpg.aa4c555352a1a755b6dd2ff961fd57f2.jpg

And, while we're there, we'll just take a look into that restroom.

IMG_20190929_153902.thumb.jpg.aa8c0051f773430400d3964e2189eac0.jpg

But, seriously. If you ever make it here, and you want some great food and great craft cocktails, this should be on your short list. They also have a great charcuterie program that's out of this world.

IMG_20190929_154446.thumb.jpg.71a4c66c67817a84b0c8d1f59eefdd40.jpg

IMG_20190929_154450.thumb.jpg.946f11abef818b0e374e348f1153fb6a.jpg

One of the things they're currently in the process of, is dry aging duck steaks. Dry. Aged. Duck. Steak...

• Like 10

29 minutes ago, sid_9169 said:

More of the H&F burger, and the grilled okra...IMG_20190929_152354.thumb.jpg.d76fa1933f1476b04becf8b338a3c330.jpg

IMG_20190929_152356.thumb.jpg.aa4c555352a1a755b6dd2ff961fd57f2.jpg

And, while we're there, we'll just take a look into that restroom.

IMG_20190929_153902.thumb.jpg.aa8c0051f773430400d3964e2189eac0.jpg

But, seriously. If you ever make it here, and you want some great food and great craft cocktails, this should be on your short list. They also have a great charcuterie program that's out of this world.

IMG_20190929_154446.thumb.jpg.71a4c66c67817a84b0c8d1f59eefdd40.jpg

IMG_20190929_154450.thumb.jpg.946f11abef818b0e374e348f1153fb6a.jpg

One of the things they're currently in the process of, is dry aging duck steaks. Dry. Aged. Duck. Steak...

I grow okra here in southern Cali. I may have to raise ducks, too 🙂

• Like 1

Oh...I forgot to mention that while you gone, the 50th Brady Celebration was going on.  Yup...HGTV revamped the "the exterior" and entire home and brought it to life.  I don't watch "Survivor" or any reality TV for that matter, but this caught my eye.  Marcia, Marcia, Marcia...

Ahhh...memories...

🙂

• Like 2

On 9/23/2019 at 10:10 AM, sid_9169 said:

Now, I've been on a lot of cruises, and this is simply not normal... Look at that line!

IMG_20190923_130615.thumb.jpg.d5d06a1f3a81651e84b4c76f85139a2d.jpg

IMG_20190923_130619.jpg

I was on the previous Horizon sailing and we thought the lines were so bad because of Jamaica......

This was one of the things I addressed on the after cruise survey.  Not a complaint, but an observation:  I've cruised NCL and RC before, first time Carnival.  I understand standing in line to get through security because you don't want any "Island Pharmacy" being brought on board.....But the other cruise lines provide awnings, cool towels, water and music/entertainment while waiting to board.  It makes it bearable.  Everyone was miserable until you got to the shade of the ship!

People were even murmuring "Just let them bring the pot on board and get me out of the sun!"

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Oh...I forgot to mention that while you gone, the 50th Brady Celebration was going on.  Yup...HGTV revamped the "the exterior" and entire home and brought it to life.  I don't watch "Survivor" or any reality TV for that matter, but this caught my eye.  Marcia, Marcia, Marcia...

Ahhh...memories...

🙂

I’m exactly the same. ZERO reality TV until I saw the Very Brady Renovation. They are doing such a good job getting that house to look exactly like the sound stage where they filmed the Brady Bunch. Any fans of BB should definitely check it out. 

• Like 3

Hi Sid!

Last year, my family and I were on the Breakaway a few weeks after you and I loved your review!  We are now thinking about Horizon this spring with the same itinerary you just did. I got on CC to do some research and was so excited to find another one of your great reviews!

So, here’s my question... One of the reasons we are considering this cruise is for the ports - they would be all new for us just as they were for you.  But, you didn’t seem too crazy about any of these places.  Are they worth visiting, or should we stick with tried and true Cozumel?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PJDH4 said:

Hi Sid!

Last year, my family and I were on the Breakaway a few weeks after you and I loved your review!  We are now thinking about Horizon this spring with the same itinerary you just did. I got on CC to do some research and was so excited to find another one of your great reviews!

So, here’s my question... One of the reasons we are considering this cruise is for the ports - they would be all new for us just as they were for you.  But, you didn’t seem too crazy about any of these places.  Are they worth visiting, or should we stick with tried and true Cozumel?

I didn't really do anything at GT, so can't comment... La Romana, I took a tour that was supposed to be great, but sucked... My fault... Curacao, I would like to give some further exploration, as well as Aruba... I would definitely like to see Aruba again...

8 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

Three hours will go quickly.

Thanks for the awesome review btw.  Wishing you the best of luck at home and look forward to hearing what you have to say about Encore.  I have mixed feelings on NCL.

I was over in your ATL thread the other day.  And I hope I am not being too forward in saying, don’t ever forget that life is just difficult.  Everything about it is difficult.  It is a constant  effort just to maintain the status quo (Just look at how difficult it is to keep a ship from falling apart.  It is a daily battle against corrosion and disrepair.  lol).  But... that’s ok.  You just keep pushing through.  We all do, and along the way, you will meet people that make it worthwhile, you will find moments of bliss.  Also, people have to start over all the time, even people who made all the “right” decisions in their lives.  It’s just part of the human condition.  Fate has a way of throwing things at you, at all of us.  Don’t be afraid to try something completely different in terms of employment.  There are a lot of jobs out there.  Even go back to school.  Don’t think of a job as a passion but as a means to an end.  (Most people disagree with me on that.)  (Kind of off the wall, but have you ever considered working in a hospital?  There are a lot of relatively high paying jobs in hospitals that require minimal training.)  People redefine their lives all the time at a variety of ages. 

That’s it for me.  I’m not super comfortable with deep thoughts.  Lol.  I like you found cruising a bit later in life (well, started in my mid-30s, now in mid-40s) and it has changed my life for the better.  There is something really life affirming about the open sea.  Take care.  

This is well said. The only part I would disagree with is the idea of Sid working in a hospital. Germs!! Can’t see it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DubNHub said:

Really glad you made it home safely, Sid! This was my first time reading your reviews, and you can now add another fan to your already lengthy list! The next one will be here before you know it!

Thanks, DubNHub... I'll add you to the "tribe"...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/25/2019 at 8:51 PM, sid_9169 said:

A: tide pods and carrot raisin salad at Chick fil A...

B: nobody even noticed...

Sid you really should do some preplanning for the islands. Have a place set up to go to. Would make your port experience better. That would also mean you would have to get up early. I guess that would be a problem. Lol

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Fire6 said:

Great review, Sid!   I lurked all the way through it (and on the ATL topic, which is equally enjoyable).   There are probably more of us out here lurking than you realize.

Thanks, Fire6... Hope to see you do more than lurking from now on...