Was I asking too much OR was this PCC not doing her job?

highlandmom

45 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

...thanks for your request for a quote but I spend all day on the phone and don’t have time to reply to emails for quotes.   If you call me I’ll help

Wrong answer! I would go with someone else based on that response alone

I agree and based on the other responses feel a tad validated in my dismay at her response (or lack of).   

I guess my intention in starting the thread was to see if I was expecting too much or if she just wasn’t what most experience.  

Thankfully for others, they seem to get excellent service!   I will keep looking for someone who wants to book our annual vacations ️🏖🍾

2 hours ago, highlandmom said:

I don’t think I’ll go as far as reporting her.  I guess at the very least she was honest by saying she wouldn’t do what I asked 😲

I also won’t  “hold it against” HA.   We will still keep those two cruises as very promising options.   She just won’t see any commission  from our cruise ( 2 cabins with 5 people still totals a hefty sum in my world).  Her loss.   

I would report it to the supervisor of PCCs, so she gets some additional training in customer service, and to save anyone else getting such an awful response.

• Like 1

Being a long-time X/RC customer, the concept of PCC's is a new one to me. At RCCL, you get whoever answers the phone, regardless of where you are in the booking process. So, with HAL, if you (like the OP) don't 'gel' with your assigned PCC, how do you go about getting a new one?

12 minutes ago, wwcruisers said:

Being a long-time X/RC customer, the concept of PCC's is a new one to me. At RCCL, you get whoever answers the phone, regardless of where you are in the booking process. So, with HAL, if you (like the OP) don't 'gel' with your assigned PCC, how do you go about getting a new one?

You contact the supervisor (call the general number and ask) and request that your account be transferred.  It’s very easy to do, speaking from past experience 😉 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Or you just call reservations and talk to the agent that answers. They won’t be assigned as a PCC to you, but the job gets done. 

I’ve never dealt with a PCC, so I’m not sure how much additional service you get. Apparently I had been assigned one as at one point I received an email from one saying she was my PCC. I have never used her.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ask around next time you're on a cruise to gets some suggestions on travel agencies to look into.  I've booked both direct and through agencies and I personally have moved to booking with agencies because I get better deals with the TAs.  I usu. compare pricing between the two main agencies I've used before and go with the better deal.

FYI that the standard commission is 10% of your cruise fare (before taxes and fees) back to the agency.  Most agencies will give you some amount of OBC as a thank you gift back.  The biggest TA "gotcha" risk imho is that some of the agencies charge a cancellation fee.  I've personally booked with one of those agencies a few times now and I suspect that fee is what allows them to be so generous with their OBC offers. 

For reference though, I'm getting 14.4% of my total cruise cost (including taxes and fees) back from my TA as an OBC between one of their normal 10% back promo plus a $100 OBC promo they periodically run for new bookings (Labor Day "LD19" coupon in the most recent case, now expired).  I also qualified for an additional $50 OBC from the agency as a returning client.  This is my 4th booking with them (1 canceled and repriced w/fee waived, 2 completed, 1 upcoming). 

Edit: The other agency I like is a no fee one that is a big online one that gets hinted at on the forums like every 90-days 😉  They have one of the best cruise line agnostic search tools I've found, although you have to register for their newsletter to access the search results.

Edited by jb008
  • Like 1

I do think some PCCs do not like to use email.  The first one I had would never respond to my email but would call me back (once she got the email). However, that was not always convenient for me.  She liked to call during the day when I was working.  She would leave a brief message and not give me a quote or even answer my question.  She would leave a message saying, "I will be in my office until 7pm Seattle if you would like to speak with me."  OK.  My second PCC actually stated that he does not like to respond to email, "because I could give you incorrect information via an email but not over the phone."  So, I do not think the response you received was rare, rude, or out of line.  I now use a TA who takes 10% off of the price of any cruise I book with him.  He responds quickly to emails.

Edited by ChinaShrek
  • Thanks 1

Your second PCC's excuse sounds strange "Incorrect information via an email but not over the phone"??? I would much prefer to have a quote in writing rather than his verbiage and my hand scribbled notes that he could dispute later--"I never said that!". My PCC, now moved to a new job, would always respond to my emails but it might be a few (3 or 4) days later. No clue who my new PCC is, no email or phone call or anything from him/her.

• Like 1

I often use emails as a convenient paper-trail for business.....I suspect she didn't want to quote a possibly locked-in price...

However....I think her verbiage wasn't appropriate.....I might give her one more chance if she was just having an off day....but if not.......I'd switch.....

I use a PCC and have appreciated her great advice.....she even helped me choose a cabin next door that was slightly larger...they have access to information that a TA wouldn't have....

• Thanks 1

We love our PCC.  As others have mentioned, she and I email back and forth.  She has sent me quotes with the understanding that those prices may change by the time I make up my mind.  Recently, she alerted us to a sale and offered us the new price without eliminating any of the good incentives attached to the original booking.  In fact, she even gave us some additional credit and saved us $1,400.  Most of this was done through emails, although I spoke with her directly when I agreed to the new terms.

She responds to my emails within a couple of hours, and if I have to leave a message, she returns my call that same day.  

I cannot understand a PCC with whom you've deal before sending such a message.  As others have said, it's time to move on with a new PCC or with a TA.  I hope everything works out for you and your family to enjoy each other this Christmas.

BTW, we're on the B2B Christmas/New Year's on Nieuw Statendam this year.  Last year, we cruised the same ship for Christmas week only, and the previous year we were on the K to celebrate Christmas.  Both ships are so similar that there's little difference.  Come join us on NS.  Our roll call is starting to pick up, if you decide to sail on NS.  Best of luck with finding a PCC or TA who is efficient and gracious to help you plan this important cruise.

2 hours ago, Rowsby said:

I use a PCC and have appreciated her great advice.....she even helped me choose a cabin next door that was slightly larger...they have access to information that a TA wouldn't have....

True, most PCC's have been on every ship numerous times. Mine even used to be a Cruise Director.

• Like 1

OP, I was a bit taken aback when I read that your PCC wouldn't do business with you via email.  You see, I'm deaf.  I have cochlear implants, but they are far inferior to natural hearing and I really struggle on the phone.  I always prefer email.  If anyone were to tell me that, I'd get upset.

My HAL PCC is an amazing guy.  He has never hesitated to work with me via email and is very patient with me during the occasional call, like when I am giving him my credit card number.  I will not email that to anyone.  

I hope you get someone new...  There are some awesome people working at HAL.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rowsby said:

I often use emails as a convenient paper-trail for business.....I suspect she didn't want to quote a possibly locked-in price...

However....I think her verbiage wasn't appropriate.....I might give her one more chance if she was just having an off day....but if not.......I'd switch.....

You are kinder than I 😉  If the PCC isn’t going to answer emails, I wouldn’t be dealing with them.  I often email for quotes, questions, etc.  My time zone and my TA / PC’s are 4 hours apart and emails often work well because of that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, highlandmom said:

This is the paraphrased email reply I got from her....thanks for your request for a quote but I spend all day on the phone and don’t have time to reply to emails for quotes.   If you call me I’ll help

oh no way.. For me that is totally unacceptable.

I run a small, now retirement,  business and mentor young women who want to start a micro to small business.  I cannot imagine any circumstances where that response would be judged appropriate.  If she wanted a phone call she could have picked up the phone and called you.  

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

I run a small, now retirement,  business and mentor young women who want to start a micro to small business.  I cannot imagine any circumstances where that response would be judged appropriate.  If she wanted a phone call she could have picked up the phone and called you.  

Exactly!  

I think the general consensus is that your Personal Cruise Consultant is working for you... if the agent's style doesn't fit your way of doing business then find a new one. 

It sounds like you getting a new PCC won't result in this one not being able to stay busy (by their own admission), so I'd say jump ship and don't look back. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

I cannot understand a PCC with whom you've deal before sending such a message.  As others have said, it's time to move on with a new PCC or with a TA.  I hope everything works out for you and your family to enjoy each other this Christmas.

BTW, we're on the B2B Christmas/New Year's on Nieuw Statendam this year.  Last year, we cruised the same ship for Christmas week only, and the previous year we were on the K to celebrate Christmas.  Both ships are so similar that there's little difference.  Come join us on NS.  Our roll call is starting to pick up, if you decide to sail on NS.  Best of luck with finding a PCC or TA who is efficient and gracious to help you plan this important cruise.

Just to clarify, I hadn’t utilized this PCC for our Koningsdam cruise in March.  For that cruise (our first with HA) I just called the 1-800 number and dealt with an agent who answered.  I was subsequently assigned this PCC and started receiving all of the HA emails with her signature line.  

Thanks for for the invite!  Your holiday plans sound wonderful.   There was so much we liked about our time on Koningsdam that we know we’ll enjoy sailing her again.  You typically wouldn’t think an 18 yr old would have loved it but she is adamant that it was her favourite cruise (out of @12).  We aren’t loyal to one line and have sailed on most of the major ones a couple of times.  We are looking forward to trying HA again.   

I hope to do do some research today both on the cruises and  maybe finding a TA.

9 hours ago, Taters said:

OP, I was a bit taken aback when I read that your PCC wouldn't do business with you via email.  You see, I'm deaf.  I have cochlear implants, but they are far inferior to natural hearing and I really struggle on the phone.  I always prefer email.  If anyone were to tell me that, I'd get upset.

My HAL PCC is an amazing guy.  He has never hesitated to work with me via email and is very patient with me during the occasional call, like when I am giving him my credit card number.  I will not email that to anyone.  

I hope you get someone new...  There are some awesome people working at HAL.

Thank you for sharing your personal situation  with us.  I am very glad you have a PCC who gives you excellent customer service in the manner you request!   Coincidentally, I have hearing loss and severe tinnitus and that is one of the reasons I too prefer email.  I also just like the paper trail.  

• Like 1

My PCC experience has not been as good as most of the other posters on this thread have been.  I had been receiving multiple emails from her asking me to use her for any bookings I wanted.  Well about a month ago I decided to give her a call as I was looking at a Mexican Riv. cruise in November.  I called her twice and left messages and then emailed her with information on the cruise that I was looking to book.  After three days I had not heard anything back from her, so I just called the 800 number for HAL and booked the cruise through one of their representatives.  Everything is fine, but I have still never heard back from my PCC, although I still get an occasional email from her from time to time.  Let's just say I probably won't bother with trying to use her in the future.  

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, highlandmom said:

There was so much we liked about our time on Koningsdam that we know we’ll enjoy sailing her again.  You typically wouldn’t think an 18 yr old would have loved it but she is adamant that it was her favourite cruise (out of @12). 

Our son first sailed HAL when he was 21, having previously cruised on multiple other lines since he was 10 years old.  He loved HAL so much that he's never looked back, and each time I suggest we go back to Celebrity or RCCL, he balks.  When people say HAL is asleep by 10 p.m., they must have never cruised with an adventurous young adult like my son, who, with his new-found friends onboard, will party until the early hours of the morning.  I know because he has an annoying habit of waking me when he returns to the cabin at 2 a.m.!

Edited by sevenseasnomad
  • Haha 1

I don't use them.  Every time I email I get the same type of response....they tell ME to Call them, or they call me.  I work in an open office and don't want to be on the phone on my break where everyone can hear me.  Plus....they don't really have time on the phone.  Was told you go look on line and let them know what you want to book.  No discounts, they wouldn't provide where TA will offer some better deals..  

• Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 5:12 PM, jb008 said:

Edit: The other agency I like is a no fee one that is a big online one that gets hinted at on the forums like every 90-days 😉  They have one of the best cruise line agnostic search tools I've found, although you have to register for their newsletter to access the search results.

So, how's the ole "ticker"?😁

• Like 1