My review (with photos) of our corner Family Veranda on the "revolutionized" Summit

Turtles06

One should not have to bring a mirror on a cruise.  This is indeed an epic design fail and one which could easily be corrected.  One of the problems with hiring designers who care only about form.  Function is critically important in small spaces like ship cabins.  Really good design considers form AND function.

• Like 5

We may never have this cabin....although I love it!  

For the life life of me I can’t understand why designers do some of the things they do.  Of course you need a mirror over a desk area where a woman would sit to do hair and make up.  Duh?  And proper outlets need to be there too.  

Recently off a Viking cruise where a real lack of storage was a problem.  There were room for more drawers but perhaps it would ruin the aesthetics.  Give me more drawers!  Storage and function in a cruise cabin regardless of size is the most important thing to those of us who use the rooms. 

Again in love this room and balcony.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

There are several design negatives in this cabin.  None would keep us from booking this cabin again, but I do want to mention them.  The biggest flaw was the lack of a mirror on any wall where a blow dryer could be plugged in, particularly over the desk, which is where the main outlets are.   (The blow dryer in fact is stored in the top drawer of the desk.)  This is, in our opinion, an epic design fail.   Yes, it’s clear that Celebrity wanted to center the new flat screen TV on the wall across from the bed.  But who cares about symmetry; on a ship, you need function!  There needs to be a mirror to the right of the TV over the desk, or on the room divider to the right.  This is a case where function needs to trump design.  The only wall mirror is on a wall perpendicular to the closets about 16 feet away from the outlet for the blow dryer, and is thus too far away to be of any use when you are drying your hair and would like to see what you are doing.  

Either Celebrity or a prior passenger left a small, round makeup mirror in the desk drawer.  While this was better than nothing (especially since we both have short hair), it is not a solution to the lack of a wall mirror, and I think that someone with long hair or using a curling iron would probably have a problem.   I want to add that, according to our next door neighbors in a non-corner FV, there’s a little different set up there.  While they had no mirror over the desk either, they said there was a mirror on the wall in the second room, and that if they stretched the blow dryer cord as far as it could go around the room divider, they could just see the mirror.  Still not ideal.

enhance 

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Ridiculous...not  the correct mirror for that wall!

• Like 1

Thanks for your review!

Did you try the room service for breakfast? If so, could you use the concierge-class list?

Also, a bit ridiculous question, but anyways - do you think the bed from the main bedroom can fit into the other room (if the furniture from that room is removed)? If this were possible, your bed would be by the balcony.. 

10 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Some have complained about the small size of the new safes on the "revolutionized" Summit.  The safe in this cabin is indeed small.  There is no room for a tablet or laptop; it’s really only suitable for passports, keys, wallets, phones, jewelry, and similar small valuables.  This was not a problem for us, as we don’t usually lock up our larger electronics anyway.  However, I do think that in a cabin this size, that is typically booked by four or five guests, it would probably be a good idea to have a second safe in the other cabinet.

enhance

(photos by turtles06)

Thanks for the clear, detailed cabin review; this is probably the best I have ever seen. I agree with the earlier poster: you could be a professional reviewer! One question: Would an iPad fit in the safe?

39 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

Thanks for your review!

Did you try the room service for breakfast? If so, could you use the concierge-class list?

You're quite welcome!   We did not order room service breakfast; we were just two decks below the buffet, so it was really simply to just pop up there.   In fact, we only ordered room service once -- turkey club sandwiches for lunch (or perhaps it was for dinner after a lobster roll lunch in Maine 🙂) when we just wanted something simple for dinner.    We didn't have the concierge-class list; I thought about asking if we could use it, but in the end I didn't. (We aren't big room service people.)

42 minutes ago, voyager1964 said:

Also, a bit ridiculous question, but anyways - do you think the bed from the main bedroom can fit into the other room (if the furniture from that room is removed)? If this were possible, your bed would be by the balcony.. 

I don't think Celebrity will be moving the furniture around this way! 😂

43 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

Thanks for the clear, detailed cabin review; this is probably the best I have ever seen. I agree with the earlier poster: you could be a professional reviewer! One question: Would an iPad fit in the safe?

Thank you for your very kind words!

We did not try to lock our iPads in the safe, so I can't say for sure, but I doubt one would fit.  If it did, I think it would be very tight.  I hope someone else can answer for sure.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

How do you find the ship overall?  Haven't been on her since '14, so looking forward to the 'revolutionization' 🙂

I intend to do a detailed review, but I will say in summary that we both liked it very much, the ship looks great.  Updating the buffet from the high school cafeteria line to separate islands (more like the S-class ships) was a huge improvement.  And I'm glad they left the theatre as it was -- with those double-seats and small glass tables.  

My main complaint with the "revolution" (and with the new builds) is that Celebrity has taken a unique public space -- the only forward-facing exterior deck -- and turned it into the Retreat Sundeck, which is open only to suite passengers.  I have no problem with suite pax having their own restaurant, lounge, etc., but there is no equivalent to that open deck elsewhere on the ship.  To me at least, it makes everyone else second class passengers.

The other problem for us was that the two-tops in the MDR were so close together (two inches perhaps) that it was like eating at a table for four.   We just don't like to eat dinner with people we don't know; sometimes you luck out, and sometimes you don't.  (On this cruise, for example, the guy next to us at one dinner made a very rude and insulting political comment, clearly ignoring the common courtesy about not discussing religion or politics.)  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

I intend to do a detailed review, but I will say in summary that we both liked it very much, the ship looks great.  Updating the buffet from the high school cafeteria line to separate islands (more like the S-class ships) was a huge improvement.  And I'm glad they left the theatre as it was -- with those double-seats and small glass tables.  

My main complaint with the "revolution" (and with the new builds) is that Celebrity has taken a unique public space -- the only forward-facing exterior deck -- and turned it into the Retreat Sundeck, which is open only to suite passengers.  I have no problem with suite pax having their own restaurant, lounge, etc., but there is no equivalent to that open deck elsewhere on the ship.  To me at least, it makes everyone else second class passengers.

The other problem for us was that the two-tops in the MDR were so close together (two inches perhaps) that it was like eating at a table for four.   We just don't like to eat dinner with people we don't know; sometimes you luck out, and sometimes you don't.  (On this cruise, for example, the guy next to us at one dinner made a very rude and insulting political comment, clearly ignoring the common courtesy about not discussing religion or politics.)  

Our last cruise on Oasis was the same in the MDR.  We had a table for two, which was great until we saw how close the other table was.  Literally inches away. It was like still having a table for 4 but with a gap in the tables.  Really, really awkward setup for us and the servers.  The couple next to us was very nice and we both did a good job of saying pleasantries while maintain our own conversation but it was still very strange.

I shared FV 7202 with 2 other women on Summit in June.  In all honesty, the lack of the big mirror over the desk didn't really bother us at all because all 3 of us travel with mirrors so we just put all the mirrors on the desk and we were fine.  We always travel with mirrors because you need a mirror to see if your hair looks good in back!!!  I'm willing to bet a lot of women travel with mirrors.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, jcpc said:

I'm willing to bet a lot of women travel with mirrors.

Perhaps.

But I don’t, and I don’t think it’s something I should have to bring on a cruise ship. I’m very glad it all worked out for you, but this is a stupid design flaw that X can and should fix. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

But I don’t, and I don’t think it’s something I should have to bring on a cruise ship. I’m very glad it all worked out for you, but this is a stupid design flaw that X can and should fix. 

I agree that it is a design flaw.  The TV should be moved over and a mirror installed above the desk.  But I'm willing to bet that's not going to ever happen.  Come to think of it, there was a lighted make-up mirror (lighted as long as we provided the AA batteries!!) in our room too.  So maybe Celebrity is placing these mirrors in all the FV rooms because the know they have an issue??  The bigger issue for the 3 of us was when one was sitting at the desk putting on make-up or doing hair the chair stuck out and blocked the pathway from one room to the other (probably because our beds were separated and not together).  We worked around it, obviously, but it was inconvenient.

2 minutes ago, jcpc said:

The bigger issue for the 3 of us was when one was sitting at the desk putting on make-up or doing hair the chair stuck out and blocked the pathway from one room to the other (probably because our beds were separated and not together). 

Our bed was together and the pathway from one room to the other was also blocked if one of us were sitting at the desk.  But there were only two of us, so not as big of a deal.  🙂

On 9/24/2019 at 10:28 PM, Turtles06 said:

Thanks for all that.  Looking forward to your "detailed review"!  Even more interesting about the guy's political comment...I suspect more will be flying around with the current state of things as they are. I'm hesitant to venture too much into political discussions unless it becomes apparent that the person I'm talking to is of the same mind. Even then, should be done in a less public venue than an MDR! We're booked into Aqua on deck 9 on an upcoming Summit cruise, so it'll be a first time for that as well. 

4 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Thank you. Just an fyi that I've started it, here:

We did this cruise back in '14 and really enjoyed it - that itinerary included Corner Brook, NF. This time is Boston (never been there before by cruise). Never made it to Sydney - had engine troubles shortly after leaving Halifax and then sailed right back into port (during dinner) and spent the night there. The scheduled Sydney stop became a sea day. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

4 minutes ago, billslowsky said:

Where is (are) the tv located relative to the main bed?  I had seen a youtube video that showed it not being in a place where you could lie in bed and watch.

See the first of my photos in comment number 6, above.  I took the photo sitting on the bed; there's the TV right in front of the bed.  The bed is pretty much the only place from which you can see that TV.   (There's another TV in the second room, as you can also see from my photos above.)   I don't know what video you were watching, but it must have been of another type of stateroom. 

23 hours ago, Turtles06 said:

Perhaps.

Agree it is a stupid design. Did you mention it on your PCS? My wife brings a round held hand mirror for whatever reason(?). But, I can gaurentee you she would have been PO if there wasn't the large mirror above the desk. That's where she blow dries her hair and uses her curling iron.  The one in our stateroom was big with a light around it.