Medicines in Australia

We are flying  in to sydney and concerned about our meds and vitamins.

I usually put our daily meds and vitamins in little ziplocks so all of it is divided and I just have to grab a zip lock for am and pm.  Can I still bring our meds this way? Do I need to bring them in original containers?

When we travelled to Asia I did the zip locks and got a letter from doctors documenting the names and dosages of the pills.

Also I heard that we cannot carryon any gum, chips, pretzels etc.  I usually travel with snacks for the plane.  Is this true? 

Anything else I need to know?

Each country is so different that you have to ask when travelling

Thanks in advance for replies.

You can carry gum, chips etc. onto the plane. However, taking them off in Australia is the issue (not much). At Customs, any food items MUST be declared on the entry card. Usually, not a problem, if declared. Meat, fish products and the like, nah.

The govt rules on meds say in original containers with associated documentation. Again, they must be declared on the entry card. I have never been asked to show my meds, just asked if I have the scripts.

a very helpful page and links:

https://www.tga.gov.au/entering-australia

I've always carried my meds in ziplock bags in my carry-on backpack. The only scrip med I take is for blood pressure. For that I cut out the info from the original packet and slip it in the ziplock. The rest are glucosamine tabs (2 a day so a 20 holiday means a lot of tabs) in a ziplock. I've can't count the number of times I've now been through airport customs and immigration here,  Canada, NZ, USA, Europe, China, Russia etc etc., (about 50 countries so far) and I my bag has never been checked - yet. My BP tabs now come in a pill bottle which makes it easier. Carry any evidence you have to show that all is legit - better safe than sorry.

The main issue will be to ensure that you declare that you are carrying them. If you don't and get caught that is when the trouble starts. I have been encouraged to always carry a letter from my doctor listing the medication I am on. I do this also but while I have been asked if the drugs being carried are for medicinal use, I have never been requested to actually show the letter. Better to run with the flow rather than risk trouble later. My wife had an occasion when she returned to Sydney on a flight and was carrying a packet of unopened biscuits she forgot she had and therefore had not declared it. They were discovered on inspection and a very difficult situation developed even though she had originally taken the biscuits from Sydney in the first place, so they were, in effect, just returning home. Lesson learned.

8 hours ago, floridababa said:

I heard that we cannot carryon any gum, chips, pretzels etc

My blonde brain my be in overdrive today; I read this as I heard that we cannot carryone any guns, chips, pretzels etc.   Just about had apoplexy!  😂

I take half a dozen 'stay alive pills per diem, I just take them in the original boxes which have the script label on them, no worries.  We are away 3 months next Feb-May, that is a lot of boxes of pills !!!!!

Edited by NSWP

I take a One A Day multi-vitamin, a calcium and vitamin C all over the counter. I plan to declare just to be on the safe side. Should I for go the ziplock with a photo copy of the package and just take original bottles. I buy large bottles which is well over a 30 day supply.

9 hours ago, joybook said:

The main issue will be to ensure that you declare that you are carrying them. If you don't and get caught that is when the trouble starts. I have been encouraged to always carry a letter from my doctor listing the medication I am on. I do this also but while I have been asked if the drugs being carried are for medicinal use, I have never been requested to actually show the letter. Better to run with the flow rather than risk trouble later. My wife had an occasion when she returned to Sydney on a flight and was carrying a packet of unopened biscuits she forgot she had and therefore had not declared it. They were discovered on inspection and a very difficult situation developed even though she had originally taken the biscuits from Sydney in the first place, so they were, in effect, just returning home. Lesson learned.

Years ago I declared same, packet of biscuits bought in Sydney which had been on an overseas holiday.  Customs guy looked at them, raised his eyebrows and said just move along.

11 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Definitely fill out the landing forms accurately, otherwise delays and possible fines may be incurred. Have you list of meds with a doctors letter and scripts and the pills should be fine in ziplock bags.

For International flights, I get it. What about domestic flights (within Australia)?

7 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

For International flights, I get it. What about domestic flights (within Australia)?

No one will look twice on an internal flight, clearly you have cleared customers or bought them in Australia is the thought.

8 hours ago, Adventures ahead said:

No big deal, domestic flights have security but not customs, of course bio security restrictions are in force so things like fresh fruit will not be allowed across some state borders.

14 hours ago, Gwendy said:

Years ago I declared same, packet of biscuits bought in Sydney which had been on an overseas holiday.  Customs guy looked at them, raised his eyebrows and said just move along.

When we returned from a motorhome trip around Europe we had quite a few food items that I didn't want to throw out including, for instance, a pepper grinder with pepper still in it. Some of the items were given to us as gifts by distant family members just before we left Europe. I wrote a list with a notation of the origin of each item and on the declaration form, I marked that I was carrying food. I handed the list to the Quarantine Officer who read through it and said it was all OK.

As other have said, "declare, declare, declare".

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

No big deal, domestic flights have security but not customs, of course bio security restrictions are in force so things like fresh fruit will not be allowed across some state borders.

Exactly. Some items are not allowed across State borders and in some cases, even within areas within a State. Fresh fruit isn't allowed to be transported anywhere and honey isn't allowed into Western Australia. Tasmania also has some extra restrictions on food items.

27 minutes ago, NSWP said:

I have been told twice now by Quarantine at Sydney Airport that chocolates are required to be declared.

SORRY, I mean Chocolates ARE NOT required to be declared on arrival in Sydney.