Orange juice

JC in CA

On the Mariner right now.  First couple mornings I ordered “orange juice” it wasn’t very good, in fact my husband and I remarked how surprised we were that the oj on the Grand Princess was so much better!  This morning in Compass Rose the table next to us ordered “fresh squeezed “ orange juice and it came out looking much different than what we had had!  I spoke to our waiter and found out ordering orange juice gets you from concentrate and that you need to specify “fresh squeezed “ to get the good stuff!  

I had had not seen this info here, hope it helps any other oj drinkers!

Jerie

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JC in CA said:

On the Mariner right now.  First couple mornings I ordered “orange juice” it wasn’t very good, in fact my husband and I remarked how surprised we were that the oj on the Grand Princess was so much better!  This morning in Compass Rose the table next to us ordered “fresh squeezed “ orange juice and it came out looking much different than what we had had!  I spoke to our waiter and found out ordering orange juice gets you from concentrate and that you need to specify “fresh squeezed “ to get the good stuff!  

I had had not seen this info here, hope it helps any other oj drinkers!

Jerie

Indeed it does!  I always squeeze my own juice and I hate OJ from concentrate.  As a result we have both avoided having OJ on ships.  Now I will ask for fresh squeezed!  Many thanks for the info!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, English Voyager said:

Am I missing something?

All the supermarkets stock cartons of chilled '100% pure pressed fruit' juice, so why is this not being served on board as a matter of course?

And, while I do not usually shop in the UK (assuming that you live there) in the U.S., the markets that we do shop in have a choice - concentrated or 100% pure orange juice.  Not everyone chooses the fresh squeezed so having a choice is what the majority of passengers are used to (at least in our supermarkets).

6 hours ago, Got2Cruise said:

This is what annoys me about Regent. Why does one have to request “fresh squeezed”? If it is a true luxury brand you shouldn’t need to ask. 

Exactly!  Or have it written somewhere on a menu.  Without hearing the table next to us specifying “fresh squeezed” I would have no clue that there are 2 kinds available.

I did did see the juice bar on the pool deck - lots of options, and juiced as you wait.  

My DH goes to the pool deck and gets some really healthy and delicious drinks (mixed with fruits, veggies, etc.). I truly do not care whether orange juice has pulp or not.  I try to stay away from it because of the calories (I eat too many calories already on Regent and this is one area that I can save a few and have dessert later). However, I love mimosas and would use just a touch of orange juice in it.  (Note:  In my fantasy world, mimosas do not contain calories:classic_rolleyes:).

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

My DH goes to the pool deck and gets some really healthy and delicious drinks (mixed with fruits, veggies, etc.). I truly do not care whether orange juice has pulp or not.  I try to stay away from it because of the calories (I eat too many calories already on Regent and this is one area that I can save a few and have dessert later). However, I love mimosas and would use just a touch of orange juice in it.  (Note:  In my fantasy world, mimosas do not contain calories:classic_rolleyes:).

Try the made to order veggie juices on the pool deck.  Lovely with beets, carrots, celery, grapefruit,  ginger...etc etc etc.  Make friends  with the gentleman who preps them...he will be your friend for life.  Jay P Flores was the best.  He has been promoted to waiter now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

Since it is made to order (at least in our experiences), simply tell them to strain your juice before service.

1 hour ago, JC in CA said:

The from concentrate had more pulp than my fresh squeezed this morning 

Thanks. I will definitely order fresh squeezed in December and ask to have it strained. 

• Like 1

I agree with Jackie - there are NO calories in Mimosas (nor in Martinis, Scotch etc!)  All zero rated !!!  (I wish!)

If you eat an orange it counts as a fruit and on WeightWatchers anyway it is free.  If you drink a glass of OJ from concentrate it is loaded with sugar.  But if you take the orange you would have eaten and squeeze it - it has to count as a fruit!!

Pulp --  I like it.  In southern Florida there is packaged OJ in the supermarkets with "maximum pulp" and that, I think, is the nearest to fresh squeezed I have ever had in the US.  I think it has the imaginative name of "Florida's Orange juice".   Probably Sheila would know...

It is So great to know we can order fresh OJ and thanks again Jerie !!

• Like 1

Both orange and grapefruit juices used to be freshly squeezed until around 5 years ago, and they were chilled too.

Now the standard is from a packet.

Freshly squeezed is warm and for the grapefruit full of pith and not nice.

Progress it is said.

On the Mariner in mid September, I asked for fresh squeezed OJ on the first morning's breakfast (it was clear to me that the urn containing OJ was not fresh squeezed). I had to ask for it every morning. Towards the end of the cruise, I asked for fresh squeezed OJ as usual and was brought a glass that was clearly not fresh squeezed (by the color and look) and pointed it out to the waiter. He "disagreed" with me and said "see the pulp, it is fresh squeezed". One small sip confirmed that it wasn't fresh squeezed. I put it aside. A few minutes later a different waiter brought me a glass of fresh squeezed OJ. Just putting out my experience as it also reflected a wide variance in service on the sailing. 

• Like 1

Well, from reading this it seems that people have a wide difference in how they like their orange juice.  I think that rather than berating Regent for making us ask for fresh squeezed juice I think we should be happy they offer us the choice.

Heck, I can’t even get OJ consensus in my own house, let alone on a ship with 700 potentially picky passengers...

• Like 1

Just been looking at the various breakfast menus available on the Regent website and whilst there are several juices therein, I was surprised that there is no pineapple juice (possibly they could do a freshly squeezed version at the juicer area at the pool grill?).

can it be obtained on request do you think?

This is obviously crucial,  lol, but I do genuinely prefer it.

only 327 days to go !