Dinner in the Windjammer

On 10/7/2019 at 7:12 PM, HBE4 said:

It is amazing to see so many officers and show people dining in the WJ at night.

It's not just the officers. We were on the Explorer in June 2019 and saw the Captain eating in the WJ  several times in the evening. 

20 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...I can just see the Captain's table in the WJ.  😄  Or "meal with an officer".  😉 

Don't give them any ideas...............................

You never know what RCI is changing......................but I see your humor.

Safe travels.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lionesss said:

Don't give them any ideas...............................

You never know what RCI is changing......................but I see your humor.

Safe travels.

We've had our meal with an officer in WJ before.  I think Merion Mom was on that Explorer cruise.  Sectioned off area, fabulous selection of lobster, crab legs, steak, etc.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

We've had our meal with an officer in WJ before.  I think Merion Mom was on that Explorer cruise.  Sectioned off area, fabulous selection of lobster, crab legs, steak, etc.

Lol......I don’t believe that meal was for the general public.  

On 10/8/2019 at 6:27 AM, Bookish Angel said:

We much prefer the Windjammer for dinner.  More selection, particularly for salad eaters like me, we can sit near a window, dinner is not a long process with harried waitpersons, etc.   

Same. On Royal Caribbean, I never find the food all that special, so for me it's more about getting some food, being relaxed, and then going on to a more enjoyable activity. For us, that means Windjammer most of the time. We eat out enough at home that the whole "being waited on" thing isn't important enough to outweigh the negatives that we have had with the MDR (mediocre food, long and slow dinners, etc. etc.). 

Edited by Zach1213
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

OK...count me in!!  😉  That would be a first for me.  🙂 Sounds delicious!   

Usually ours is in back corner of the MDR, or a few times was in the old Giovannis.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

On 10/9/2019 at 2:31 AM, Bloodgem said:

It's not just the officers. We were on the Explorer in June 2019 and saw the Captain eating in the WJ  several times in the evening. 

Interesting post.

"not just officers...…………..we saw the Captain."

What do you think the Captain is?

• Haha 1

On ‎10‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 3:11 PM, Bobal said:

Whilst it won't be my first choice for dinner I'll certainly be looking out for the night they do the Indian theme on our next cruise.

Do they inform you somehow that themed food will be served or do you just find out when you wander in there?

10 minutes ago, goldfish65 said:

Do they inform you somehow that themed food will be served or do you just find out when you wander in there?

Mostly you find out when you arrive.  Some ships will note the them in the Cruise Compass, which you get the night before.  You can also ask to speak to the Windjammer chef and they can tell you the week's schedule.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, goldfish65 said:

1 hour ago, Tulsacoker said:

I think it might be listed in the compass

Certainly on the Jewel recently they had the theme listed in the Cruise Compass next to the Windjammer dinner times. I've never noticed this before (to be fair I haven't looked for it) so not sure if they do it on all ships

If you want to know more than a day in advance the maitre d's of speciality dining/MDR and the Windjammer managers should have a list of what's planned for the cruise.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Mostly you find out when you arrive.  Some ships will note the them in the Cruise Compass, which you get the night before.  You can also ask to speak to the Windjammer chef and they can tell you the week's schedule.

I have seen it posted on a sign at the entrance on some ships.  Always interesting with what they come up with.  🙂 

DW and I have eaten in WJ hundreds of times over the years on many different ships.  Mostly lunch, mind you, but I certainly agree that it can be more relaxing, fun, and with less portion control, better desserts, etc.  My issue with WJ, as with other buffets, is that many hands touch the serving spoons, and many faces get too close to the food, even with face guards.  One never knows who had been looking and touching prior to you... did someone grab a bite and put it back in the tray?  I have seen children out at the ice cream station forego cones and dishes and stick their mouths directly against the dispenser.  And those are the ones I saw.  Some of those children no doubt also go thru the buffet lines.

When we partake of the buffet in WJ we arrive as it opens so that we're as close to the first ones thru the line as possible.  We also bring along lots of wipes to clean our hands.  One cannot completely assure a sterile environment, be we do what we can.

8 minutes ago, st5310 said:

DW and I have eaten in WJ hundreds of times over the years on many different ships.  Mostly lunch, mind you, but I certainly agree that it can be more relaxing, fun, and with less portion control, better desserts, etc.  My issue with WJ, as with other buffets, is that many hands touch the serving spoons, and many faces get too close to the food, even with face guards.  One never knows who had been looking and touching prior to you... did someone grab a bite and put it back in the tray?  I have seen children out at the ice cream station forego cones and dishes and stick their mouths directly against the dispenser.  And those are the ones I saw.  Some of those children no doubt also go thru the buffet lines.

When we partake of the buffet in WJ we arrive as it opens so that we're as close to the first ones thru the line as possible.  We also bring along lots of wipes to clean our hands.  One cannot completely assure a sterile environment, be we do what we can.

Agree....Once I put down my plate on the table...I walk over the the sanitizing station or wash station to do my hands again.  Just because we do it on the way in, does not mean someone might not have done so...or has sneezed/coughed in their hands just before they touch the serving utensils ahead of you indeed.  😮 

Edited by island lady

15 minutes ago, island lady said:

Agree....Once I put down my plate on the table...I walk over the the sanitizing station or wash station to do my hands again.  Just because we do it on the way in, does not mean someone might not have done so...or has sneezed/coughed in their hands just before they touch the serving utensils ahead of you indeed.  😮 

...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 👍 I've also seen people (not just in the WJ) stop and get a squirt of  hand sanitizer rub it in and then blow on their hands to dry the hand sanitizer. 😮

43 minutes ago, davekathy said:

...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. 👍 I've also seen people (not just in the WJ) stop and get a squirt of  hand sanitizer rub it in and then blow on their hands to dry the hand sanitizer. 😮

LOL!!  😄  Or rub their hands on their pants.  😮 

On my trip with my daughter in April on the Brilliance, we tried MDR dining one night and found it to be rather lacking, so we decided to eat at the WJ for the rest of the trip, we enjoyed the themed nights and the dessert spreads at least on the Brilliance were a lot of fun, cake night, cheesecake night, donut night, etc.  It's something I had always heard about on other ships or from people's experiences but had never run into it, so it was nice to see.  I was traveling solo on the Harmony in September and decided to just eat dinners in the WJ by myself, the themes were still there but there wasn't any dessert spread that was anywhere near as impressive. 

So I'd say depending on the ship, it might be worth checking out the WJ if you haven't before for dinner.  I used to love MDR dining, but it's changed so much over the years, I don't enjoy it as much, in my opinion the food has gone downhill and the service at times that I have eaten in there on cruises has seemed rush, add in that with so many dinner options now even large tables can be empty during a cruise and it just doesn't feel the same.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

5 hours ago, Bobal said:

Certainly on the Jewel recently they had the theme listed in the Cruise Compass next to the Windjammer dinner times. I've never noticed this before (to be fair I haven't looked for it) so not sure if they do it on all ships

If you want to know more than a day in advance the maitre d's of speciality dining/MDR and the Windjammer managers should have a list of what's planned for the cruise.

4 hours ago, island lady said:

I have seen it posted on a sign at the entrance on some ships.  Always interesting with what they come up with.  🙂 

I have experienced all of these.  It's totally random.  You won't know what your ship is doing until you are on board.

Ok I think you all have me convinced to give WJ a try! We have always ate in MDR, but our last cruise in Jan. we skipped the desert and later in the evening went up to WJ for our desert and noticed the desert was better there than MDR. So I think we'll give dinner in WJ a try on our Dec. cruise.

Edited by jeanneful

On 10/9/2019 at 1:31 AM, Bloodgem said:

I get it though... I wouldn’t want to eat the MDR menu for 6 months!  I would want the variety of a buffet too...