Just off the Equinox - Only 1 free movie on Demand

Pennstatedj

We just finished a ten day cruise on the Equinox and there was only 1 movie available for free on our tv on demand. There were several others for pay.  There was another movie available on channel 7 each day. Plus they showed several current movies in the theater and the celebrity theater. On this cruise there were many sea days and we love to watch s movie each day in the afternoon so we were disappointed. Our cruise was great but we do miss the movie. 

• Haha 1

Very sad. 

They have added showing more movies in the Theater and in Celebrity Central. But most of the times are not convenient. We did see the new Elton John movie in the theater. We do not like watching in Celebity Cental. It is not very comfortable seating for two hours. 

In the past how many free on demand movies were shown each day in cabin?  Just curious.  We occasionally do catch a movie in Celebrity Central or the theater.  My recollection is that they had a movie channel that had a few films a day that ran over and over...

Edited by Oville

4 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Wow!  This us certainly different from what X said they were going to do. Do you recall how many movies were available for a fee?  What is the viewing fee?

I don’t ever recall free on demand movies just ones that ran in a loop on one channel.

To be honest, the last thing we would do on a cruise is sit in our cabin and watch a movie but I don’t recall free on demand but we weren’t looking for it.

So what the hell is going on here? There was a huge backlash several weeks ago when Celebrity announces no more free movies - it was now $14.95 per movie. After a major protest on CruiseCritic, Celebrity reversed their decision and brought back free on-demand movies. They began offering at least a dozen in-cabin on-demand movies. Sure, some people never watch them, but many enjoy some time in their cabins relaxing and catching up with a movie or two. Most major cruiselines offer lots of free movies. Guess it is time to start calling again. Please be sure to post responses.

17 minutes ago, twodjs said:

So what the hell is going on here? There was a huge backlash several weeks ago when Celebrity announces no more free movies - it was now $14.95 per movie. After a major protest on CruiseCritic, Celebrity reversed their decision and brought back free on-demand movies. They began offering at least a dozen in-cabin on-demand movies. Sure, some people never watch them, but many enjoy some time in their cabins relaxing and catching up with a movie or two. Most major cruiselines offer lots of free movies. Guess it is time to start calling again. Please be sure to post responses.

Celebrity did offer free movies but were they on demand?  For sure there was a channel that offered movies during the day on a rotating basis, and some close to first run flicks in the theater, Celebrity Central and UTS.

Just asking, don’t recall free on demand but I probably wasn’t looking for them in the last year or so.

Edited by Oville

14 minutes ago, Oville said:

Celebrity did offer free movies but were they on demand?  For sure there was a channel that offered movies during the day on a rotating basis, and some close to first run flicks in the theater, Celebrity Central and UTS.

Just asking, don’t recall free on demand but I probably wasn’t looking for them in the last year or so.

Yes, they did. We watched about one a day on many cruises. Some times there were less and sometimes plentiful. We watch before bed and have not once been able to finish a public showings. When we did show up, weather or seating sent us back to the cabin.  Many cruises they replenished part way through the cruise. In later years some were for fee, but for the most part we watch more movies at sea than anywhere else, and we used to do it for free. The Edge has nice big TV's and I want to watch more than reruns or news after a day in port or a day we are just laying back out of the crowds.

This seems to be a new business trend, tell people what they want to hear and do what they heck you were going to do anyway. How disappointing they misled us.

They probably just brought back the rotating loop movies. I’ll bet the on demand movies are newer ones and cost more. Looks like I will be sticking with my downloads on my tablet from Netflix and Amazon Prime on my upcoming  Equinox Cruise after all.

Mary Ann

Thanks for the heads up,,,,what was the one offered on  demand?

Did you inquire about this?

So sad... they have either not re-started the program again  ( maybe it takes time) or have totally reneged.   I will contact the Celeb One Touch rep who was  handling our orig complaint...and then wrote us when the program was allegedly restored.

Seeing movies in the theater is nice but just not the same.

BRING BACK THE  IN ROOM MOVIES OF DEMAND!

Oville, there used to be at least a dozen, more if you count the children movies.  So perhaps as many as twenty in all.

And what used to happen was that the day after they showed a movie in Celebrity Central it was added to the free on-demand movies you could get in the stateroom, so the number actually increased as the cruise progressed.

So frustrating!

I don't care that much for our upcoming 7 night Equinox with just DH (although occasionally it's nice to just relax, out of the sun, watch a movie if you're tired...) but I care a LOT for my upcoming cruise with my two children.  Sanity saver for everyone.

We were on the Summit in July and there were at least 15 free on demand movies but it wasn’t easy to determine which were free vs pay.  DH initially thought all were pay.  Eventually he was able to figure out which were free & watched a few.

11 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We were on the Summit in July and there were at least 15 free on demand movies but it wasn’t easy to determine which were free vs pay.  DH initially thought all were pay.  Eventually he was able to figure out which were free & watched a few.

Excellent point.  X does a great job of disguising the free movies in the hopes you will just click in and eat the $14.95.  If memory serves me right you even click on 'buy" and then it says $0.

Other ships including Equinox will have to let us know before one can determine that they shot free the movies again.

Op please verify if you are 100% certain that you surfed the entire free movie line and clicked on them all and found 1?.  This is a big deal you are reporting here.  You have to be 100% correct on this one.

Edited by Nymich

I just got off the phone with Captain's Club. They checked and confirmed that there are at least a dozen on-demand free movies available in your cabin on each sailing. So why was this not clear on Equinox? Has anyone else experienced this problem during the past month? Did you complain to the ship staff?

12 minutes ago, twodjs said:

I just got off the phone with Captain's Club. They checked and confirmed that there are at least a dozen on-demand free movies available in your cabin on each sailing. So why was this not clear on Equinox? Has anyone else experienced this problem during the past month? Did you complain to the ship staff?

Looks like a false alarm.   Like I said X does a good job disguising what is free and what is not.  Last month we had to click on buy to see the price was $0.

• Like 1

Uh..glad it was not so,   but we will be careful making any selections on  EDGE when we do our in-room movie nights ( at least once per cruise)....dh likes to click on stuff...

On EDGE , do they still show Bohemian  Rhapsody at Rooftop area and the theater..?  Missed it last time around!

We did B2B in Sept and there were free movies shown on the outdoor screen several times a day and in the evenings.

Many were there to enjoy them with the lounger cushions they have set up.

We don't watch movies while on ship but did have 2 sea days in the cabanas on the lawn- so saw the movies running on those days

Sounds like many commenting have no idea about the CruiseCritic uproar that happened a few weeks ago. It wasn't about movies outside or in ComedyCentral, it was about the sudden elimination of free on-demand in stateroom movies. After hundreds of posts, calls and emails, Celebrity backed down and reinstated free in-cabin on-demand movies. Some don't partake, but for many, these offer an important option during chill time. So when the OP reported only one on-demand movie available, the calls began again - as it appeared Celebrity had broken their promise. However, after talking with Celebrity, they have again promised at least a dozen on-demand movies are available. Just making sure the promise is kept. As others have posted, maybe there is confusion during the selection process. So fix it!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Sounds like many commenting have no idea about the CruiseCritic uproar that happened a few weeks ago. It wasn't about movies outside or in ComedyCentral, it was about the sudden elimination of free on-demand in stateroom movies. After hundreds of posts, calls and emails, Celebrity backed down and reinstated free in-cabin on-demand movies. Some don't partake, but for many, these offer an important option during chill time. So when the OP reported only one on-demand movie available, the calls began again - as it appeared Celebrity had broken their promise. However, after talking with Celebrity, they have again promised at least a dozen on-demand movies are available. Just making sure the promise is kept. As others have posted, maybe there is confusion during the selection process. So fix it!

I was totally aware of the so called uproar...the main reason I checked TV in the room...just passing on info.