Soured by Arrival Appointment Time

crockea

1 hour ago, crockea said:

I knew people would think I am being ridiculous and that is OK.  It is only an hour and half but why can't I choose my time? I've been on a lot of cruises and while the lines are sometimes long they've never been so bad that I would say they would need to be staggered.  Again though, maybe Carnival just couldn't figure it out without putting themselves first and the cruiser 2nd.  Will it ruin my cruise, absolutely not.  Does is leave a bad taste in my mouth, obviously yes, as I started the silly thread.  I'm only Gold status so I'm not considered loyal, which is deserved.  We chose Carnival as it's the line we took our kids on when they were young and we're traveling with a little this time.  I'm not expecting them to be as good as the others so I don't have my expectations out of whack.  This one just threw me for a loop.  It's like flying Southwest.  I'll accept I'm getting what i paid for.  Thanks for sharing your experiences.  Looking forward to fun times in the sun making great memories!

You did choose your time...I believe there are probably 2 and 2:30 spots open also, you chose the 1pm slot.

With the attitude that Carnival puts themselves first and cruisers 2nd, I don't believe you are going to have a good time, because this is simply the time you check in, which is just 90 minutes after what you wanted.   Out of a whole week? And you just blame it on Carnival putting themselves first?  How would you have them handle 2000 people all showing up at 11am?  Hire 200 more workers?  

You certainly know what cruiseline not to book in the future since this seems to be such a big issue for you.

The staggered times work for the ease of everyone, not just 1 cruiser that wants to get on when they want.

• Like 5

Although I like the staggered appointment times, it was annoying at first.  The first time I had it was on my Vista cruise out of Florida.  After my shuttle dropped me off and I checked my luggage, I was five minutes past the appointment time.  They made me go to the early/late line.  I was shocked, but understood that rules are rules.  Lesson learned.  They are VERY strict.

So on my next few cruises, I arrived early and went to the early/late line.  Each time, I was on the ship BEFORE my appointment time.  If your boarding zone was assigned at check-in, then you do have to wait for it to be called.  However, in my experience they start boarding zones extremely fast once they get started.

You can also see if FTTF is still available.  Odds are it's sold out, but it sometimes pops up.

1 hour ago, skrufy said:

Take this as a lesson learned. Now you know to complete your boarding pass as soon as the check in times are released. Don’t get mad, don’t be grumpy. When I’m begin my cruise I don’t get myself worked up over things that are trivial.  The plus with 1230pm check in is you will most likely be on board quickly. 

Thank you.  I really didn't mean to bring out the hate in people. I was voicing frustration and something that makes me feel negative.  I appreciate the feedback and all the great ideas and reminders that I AM GOING ON VACATION!!! YAHOOOO!!!  I don't completely understand the haters but I guess that's what I get for voicing my opinion on social media.  LOL

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crockea said:

So, we leave for our cruise on Sunday.  I haven't sailed Carnival in over 5 years but have been on over 35 cruises.  For the first time I am experiencing this annoying arrival appointment system.  I called as the soonest I could get it online was 1pm.  I have NEVER gotten on a ship that late.  Usually we arrive between 11/11:30 and are on board shortly after.  Is Carnival really so disorganized that they can't handle cruisers arriving whenever?  I am not typically a grumpy cruiser (other than laughable bad burgers on another line)  but this new system sucks.  I called and was told if I arrive earlier than the 1pm slot we could be turned away.  Has anyone experienced being turned away because you were early?  Makes me feel like I shouldn't known better than to jump back to Carnival again.  I hope this isn't a precursor on how the rest of the cruise will be.  Trying to get over it but booooo Carnival for starting with a negative.  Yes, I know I'll be picked on for complaining about this but, really?

Actually, the process is working great. And if you arrive too early, you will have to wait in the early/late line. 2 ways to avoid this. First, buy FTTF. You get Priority check in and boarding and cabin ready upon boarding ship. Second (too late for you) is to choose the earliest check in time when your 90 day check in date has arrived, and that means at 12 midnight EST. Example: my date to complete my online check in for my February cruise is 11/4, so I could stay up late on 11/3 and do it at midnight to ensure I get an early time. But I don’t need to, as I bought FTTF. Our last cruise was on the Breeze in March, and embarkation was the best we’ve ever experienced with the new system. There is no desk to checkin at. They scan your boarding pass and passport as you enter building, and proceed to your boarding zone that they tell you to go to. Key cards are outside your cabin door in mailbox. Do not fret about it if you can’t get FTTF. You will still have a great time! 

Edited by grandmarnnurse

2 hours ago, habitatnal said:

I don't get why Carnival needs to enforce check-in times.  I sailed on RCCL Allure of the Seas and we arrived at the port around 11 and were on the ship within 15 minutes.  Allure is one of the biggest ships in the world and RCCL doesn't enforce check-in times.  I have read regularly on the RCCL boards where people have had very little waits to board the ship.  It seems like RCCL can figure it out, why can't Carnival?  As far as I know, Carnival is the only cruise line that enforces check-in times.

Because people are/were arriving before the prior cruise passengers were still eating breakfast and demanding to start boarding

• Like 1

2 hours ago, habitatnal said:

I don't get why Carnival needs to enforce check-in times.  I sailed on RCCL Allure of the Seas and we arrived at the port around 11 and were on the ship within 15 minutes.  Allure is one of the biggest ships in the world and RCCL doesn't enforce check-in times.  I have read regularly on the RCCL boards where people have had very little waits to board the ship.  It seems like RCCL can figure it out, why can't Carnival?  As far as I know, Carnival is the only cruise line that enforces check-in times.

DCL was the first to enforce check in times

• Like 1

7 hours ago, crockea said:

So, we leave for our cruise on Sunday.  I haven't sailed Carnival in over 5 years but have been on over 35 cruises.  For the first time I am experiencing this annoying arrival appointment system.  I called as the soonest I could get it online was 1pm.  I have NEVER gotten on a ship that late.  Usually we arrive between 11/11:30 and are on board shortly after.  Is Carnival really so disorganized that they can't handle cruisers arriving whenever?  I am not typically a grumpy cruiser (other than laughable bad burgers on another line)  but this new system sucks.  I called and was told if I arrive earlier than the 1pm slot we could be turned away.  Has anyone experienced being turned away because you were early?  Makes me feel like I shouldn't known better than to jump back to Carnival again.  I hope this isn't a precursor on how the rest of the cruise will be.  Trying to get over it but booooo Carnival for starting with a negative.  Yes, I know I'll be picked on for complaining about this but, really?

So if it was mentioned, I missed it. What ship are you leaving on? I ask because we're going on the Pride next month out of Baltimore, and instead of a 4pm departure time like we're used to in Florida, we have a 6pm departure time. So everything is shifting two hours than we're used to. So in our case, a 1pm boarding time isn't really that late. But I'm not judging you for your disappointment either way! We enjoy getting on board really fast, too. We're always so excited!

Couple of weeks ago had a 12-12:30 time to board the Vista. Got there close to 11:30 and stopped close to the entrance to look for the early/late line and the workers standing there were waving their hands telling us and others to just go in, keep moving. Breezed right thru security and sat down and waited for about 15 minutes and were on the ship eating lunch way before 12. This was my 2nd time leaving out of Galveston, first time took just a bit longer.

2 hours ago, crockea said:

Thank you.  I really didn't mean to bring out the hate in people. I was voicing frustration and something that makes me feel negative.  I appreciate the feedback and all the great ideas and reminders that I AM GOING ON VACATION!!! YAHOOOO!!!  I don't completely understand the haters but I guess that's what I get for voicing my opinion on social media.  LOL

Yes, you are going on vacation. I’ll give you a YAHOO also.

44 minutes ago, habitatnal said:

The Oasis terminal was built 10 years ago.  You think Carnival could have learned something from Royal.  My parents went on a Princess cruise and they arrived early and had no waiting or lines.  Princess doesn’t enforce check-in times.

As others have stated, and I am sure you experienced it in the past like most of us, Carnival had a problem with the majority of people showing up early for cruises. This caused congestion at the terminal and led to extremely long lines. The new process has basically eliminated long lines, with the exception that the early/late line can get long, which I have witnessed a few times. 

I’ve been at a free for all boarding and 2 scheduled boardinghouse. The scheduled boardings have been a lot smoother.

The scheduled boarding process also has a special station for each part of the boarding process. The free for all had 2 stops the whole time. Since the terminal  staff is dedicated to one job with the scheduling, they aren’t foundering with multiple tasks.

If they aren’t busy, they may let you on earlier. My last cruise saw me get there an hour or two before my scheduled check in. We were fine waiting our turn at the terminal, but staff was more than willing to get us on the ship since it was slow in the terminal. I think it took us 20 minutes from entering the terminal to getting on the boat. 

10 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

PLATINUM you walk right in the door and onto the ship.  

Not quite true.  With Platinum/Diamond or any Priority boarding, you only walk right onto the ship AFTER they start boarding.  If you get to the port at 10:00 and the ship isn't cleared for boarding until noon, you won't board the ship until after noon.

Edited by RWolver672
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, habitatnal said:

That's great.  On my one cruise on the Allure we arrived around 11:30 to total chaos and finally made it on the ship at 12:45.  It actually initially turned me off to mega ships with me telling my wife "I told you so" and made me appreciate what Carnival was trying to do.

Edited by ray98
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, crockea said:

The system for the most part is a big improvement over the free for all that you seam to like. The choice of arrival time can be made when you check in om line. Wish they would let you choose when you book, seeing as we normally book 500+ days out. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RWolver672 said:

Not quite true.  With Platinum/Diamond or any Priority boarding, you only walk right onto the ship AFTER they start boarding.  If you get to the port at 10:00 and the ship isn't cleared for boarding until noon, you won't board the ship until after noon.

Of course you have to wait until the ship is empty of the previous guests, but I was just there 3 weeks ago and by the time we got thru the checkin desk, all the Diamond and Platinum guests were boards along with Group A people.  And it was before noon.

26 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

Of course you have to wait until the ship is empty of the previous guests, but I was just there 3 weeks ago and by the time we got thru the checkin desk, all the Diamond and Platinum guests were boards along with Group A people.  And it was before noon.

14 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

PLATINUM you walk right in the door and onto the ship.  

Your statement made it sound like if you are priority, you get immediate access to the ship.  If you are priority and show up at 10:00 am, you are going to wait.  Granted, if the ship is already boarding, you can walk right onboard.  Chances are, if you check in after 12:30, everyone will walk right onboard.

here is my question . we are using go port (staying the night before ). go port picks us up and takes us to Port Canaveral. are you saying if they get us to the port at 11:30 and we are 12:30 board, we are going to be turned away? a. we won't have a car (its at the hotel) and b. where would we go?

help