Dinner with Ship's Officer

FLAHAM

I don't think the Platinum + benefits were to accommodate the Dinner with Officer in lieu of your cabin mate.

And about the Dinner with Officer - some have reported that the Officer was as low as the assistant gift shop

manager or photo shop and then a few have had the Captain (probably those just a point off of being Ambassador

or guest in the Garden Villa - OS DOS Haven).

Whatever officer NCL drags out of the broom closet it should not affect your cabin mate or other guest that you

have invited.

About the non-platinum guest going along with you on the BST - I have had success 2 out of 3 times - in both of

those the groups numbers where less than 15.

Yes rules are rules - but if the BST can accommodate 20 and only 15 sign on what is the harm of letting a few more

participate - It is not a monetary paid tour and the impression left on the guest addition can speak volumes in future

travel on NCL and other cruise lines.

Oh and that third time - the head count went to 24 adding 4 more than the tour could accommodate - so the rules

were bent the other direction.     

4 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

I know that my non-Platinum cabin mate is ineligible for the Platinum Latitudes ship's tour.  However, may I bring her to the Platinum Plus dinner with a ship's officer or am I required to dine "solo."

You will not be made to be dining alone.   

2 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

You will not be made to be dining alone.   

I believe the OP said "solo" in quotes to indicate "without my cabin mate" and not "alone". Of course they would not be alone...they would be seated at a table with other Platinum Guests and the selected Ship's Officers.

Just now, SeaShark said:

I believe the OP said "solo" in quotes to indicate "without my cabin mate" and not "alone". Of course they would not be alone...they would be seated at a table with other Platinum Guests and the selected Ship's Officers.

I'm quite sure you and whomever reads my post realizes that in this case "alone" means without your traveling companion.  But thanks for the input.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, cliffd64 said:

I'm quite sure you and whomever reads my post realizes that in this case "alone" means without your traveling companion.  But thanks for the input.

Except, of course, that I know for a fact that there is no guarantee that the cabin mate will be allowed to attend and thus no way for what you state to be anything but misconstrued.

FWIW...if you were really quite sure, then a) I would have understood, and b) you wouldn't have had to explain it. Just sayin'

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, FLAHAM said:

I know that my non-Platinum cabin mate is ineligible for the Platinum Latitudes ship's tour.  However, may I bring her to the Platinum Plus dinner with a ship's officer or am I required to dine "solo."

On embarkation day, sign up with CruiseNext. And ask that your cabinmate accompany you. If there is an extra seat, the General Manager’s office will accommodate it. 

This year on the Escape, we had the Food and Beverage Director. On the Joy, the dinner was cancelled a few hours before dinner because too many people dropped out. 

5 hours ago, don't-use-real-name said:

I don't think the Platinum + benefits were to accommodate the Dinner with Officer in lieu of your cabin mate.

And about the Dinner with Officer - some have reported that the Officer was as low as the assistant gift shop

manager or photo shop and then a few have had the Captain (probably those just a point off of being Ambassador

or guest in the Garden Villa - OS DOS Haven).

Whatever officer NCL drags out of the broom closet it should not affect your cabin mate or other guest that you

have invited.

About the non-platinum guest going along with you on the BST - I have had success 2 out of 3 times - in both of

those the groups numbers where less than 15.

Yes rules are rules - but if the BST can accommodate 20 and only 15 sign on what is the harm of letting a few more

participate - It is not a monetary paid tour and the impression left on the guest addition can speak volumes in future

travel on NCL and other cruise lines.

Oh and that third time - the head count went to 24 adding 4 more than the tour could accommodate - so the rules

were bent the other direction.     

I have done it twice. I am Platinum Plus  and no where close to being Ambassador and wasn't in a suite but did have dinner with the Captain on the Sun a few years ago. Worked out very well table of I think eight of us and a round table so everyone could interact with him. Other time not so special table was rectangular about 14 people and I think it was someone from engineering he showed up late and another passenger by mistake took his seat in the middle so he sat on the far end. So not so special guess it is just the luck of the draw. Haven't tried it again but might on the Encore in a few weeks.

Din my experience everyone in the cabin with a Platinum Plus are included in the dinner with an officer.

If it were a couple in the same cabin, say husband and wife, and only one was Platinum Plus they certainly would not only invite one of them to the dinner.

My suggestion would be that when you sign up with the Cruise Next desk for the dinner, just inform them that you and your cabin mate are both interested in the dinner.

Rochelle

Different ships handle the dinner differently.  Some ships take it seriously and it is a very elegant experience with a high ranking officer.  Other ships treat it like a carnival side show and you have dinner with the photo shop assistant dark room janitor.  I get the feeling it may be a perk eliminated or placed higher on the list when they adjust the latitudes perks next time.

We enjoyed dinner with the officers on our Sky cruise last year.  

The Sky's Safety Officer and the Port Shopping Guide joined us at our table..  

Unfortunately, the Shopping Guide ended up having a "shopping emergency" partway through the dinner and got called away.  Yes... seriously!  Luckly she came back for dessert.  

The Safety Officer was very interesting and we had a wonderful conversation with him and the other guests at our table.  

On 10/29/2019 at 9:43 PM, Newleno said:

is the dinner like a Cagney dinner or just basic mdr food, (only reason I would go is if the food was better)

Three times all in the MDR. First with Chief Engineer. He offered us cappuccino.  He gave me his NCL pin. Next with the Staff Captain. He offered us a glass of wine.

last time was with Shore Excursion Manager. As I said regular dining room menus but conversation was stimulating.

These functions are most always in the main dining room.    Best are with the round tables.   You don’t usually talk past across from you with the rectangle tables.      Every one is different.   I’ve had some “painful “ ones I couldn’t wait to leave.  😀.  But most are ok.  Don’t expect more than a social evening.   

Just off the Joy.  I was able to get my companion (silver) who even had her own separate cabin, dinner with the Asst. Hotel Manager Anton.  First time I have tried bringing a guest.  Both cruise next and the General Manager secretary said yes.  It all comes down to who you talk to and probably how many cruises the Plus members have taken.  At the table were a couple who were Ambassadors, a Platinum Plus with her friend who was not and, me and my companion.  The two non Plus members even had a name placard.  Made them feel special.  One of the best officers dinner I have ever had.  All we talked about was cruising and not the operation of the ship.  And I too have had dinner with a few Captains both with the Plus dinner (remember Budget Queen and Captain Kenneth) and even private.  Sometimes rules will be overlooked but you better have history with NCL and not just the Plus status.  There are a lot of Plus people out there.  All you can do is try and be ready for a no answer.  All Plus members are not the same.

4 hours ago, jskinsd said:

Just off the Joy.  I was able to get my companion (silver) who even had her own separate cabin, dinner with the Asst. Hotel Manager Anton.  First time I have tried bringing a guest.  Both cruise next and the General Manager secretary said yes.  It all comes down to who you talk to and probably how many cruises the Plus members have taken.  At the table were a couple who were Ambassadors, a Platinum Plus with her friend who was not and, me and my companion.  The two non Plus members even had a name placard.  Made them feel special.  One of the best officers dinner I have ever had.  All we talked about was cruising and not the operation of the ship.  And I too have had dinner with a few Captains both with the Plus dinner (remember Budget Queen and Captain Kenneth) and even private.  Sometimes rules will be overlooked but you better have history with NCL and not just the Plus status.  There are a lot of Plus people out there.  All you can do is try and be ready for a no answer.  All Plus members are not the same.

Would add to this what type of cabin one is in.

In the Haven GV DOS OS and you are least apt to receive a "NO" for most any request !

When this perk first started, yearsago, you could just sign up at the front desk, no specific latitude level. We seemed to get chosen every single time we applied. The first time we were ALMOST platinum level and on a B2B on the Sun.  Got chosen BOTH legs! One of the dinners was in La Cucina, the other in the MDR. They used to have printed special menus and we really enjoyed ourselves with a drink before dinner and endless wine with our meals! The next couple ships we were picked, as well, but both dinners were in the MDR with a mix of officers, never the captain for us.  We have been trying other lines the last few years because they had the itineraries we wanted, so still just Platinums. Really enjoyed those dinners but still need 25 more days to get BACK to that benefit.  

19 minutes ago, lambs2 said:

When this perk first started, yearsago, you could just sign up at the front desk, no specific latitude level. We seemed to get chosen every single time we applied. The first time we were ALMOST platinum level and on a B2B on the Sun.  Got chosen BOTH legs! One of the dinners was in La Cucina, the other in the MDR. They used to have printed special menus and we really enjoyed ourselves with a drink before dinner and endless wine with our meals! The next couple ships we were picked, as well, but both dinners were in the MDR with a mix of officers, never the captain for us.  We have been trying other lines the last few years because they had the itineraries we wanted, so still just Platinums. Really enjoyed those dinners but still need 25 more days to get BACK to that benefit.  

On at least one leg of our recent b2b cruise on the Sun, all guests were invited to sign up at the front desk for a possible invitation. We are PP, so we got invites that way.  Wine with dinner (standard MDR menu).  Pleasant conversation.  Free photo.  We will be back aboard Sun for another b2b soon; we hope we are available that night.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, don't-use-real-name said:

Would add to this what type of cabin one is in.

In the Haven GV DOS OS and you are least apt to receive a "NO" for most any request !

Just a BX.  Only a balcony.  It was cheaper to get her, her own cabin.  I snore heavy and a lot.   It is not what you are but who you are.  Just be genuine with a little history.  I was on your cruise in Alaska.  Had dinner with Captain Giorgio, Staff Captain Marin, and Chief Engineer Mateo in La Cucina.  I had a IX then.  An inside.  It was like I was one of them.  All we disgust was food and our favorite restaurants. Once again never talk about shop.  Talk about your journeys.   Go figure the crazy old Hippie may know a little more about NCL then you.  

I’m always in a cheap inside and undeserving of any invitation.   😀😀😀.    But I always get one at this point.  I am known.     I’m getting on the next 2 sailings of the Epic which I also did a few weeks ago.    I had a private dinner invite.  😀😀

And Jeff an absolute privilege to have spent those 2 weeks with you.   A connection I have with you enjoying the breathtaking beauty of Alaska paradise.    I hope to see you next season.    

36 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I’m always in a cheap inside and undeserving of any invitation.   😀😀😀.    But I always get one at this point.  I am known.     I’m getting on the next 2 sailings of the Epic which I also did a few weeks ago.    I had a private dinner invite.  😀😀

And Jeff an absolute privilege to have spent those 2 weeks with you.   A connection I have with you enjoying the breathtaking beauty of Alaska paradise.    I hope to see you next season.    

Sometimes being known helps.  But you always have to expect NO for an answer.  We are fortunate cruisers.  Funny though,  I had more cruisers under by belt than the Ambassadors.  We do it the old fashion way.  One point at a time.

Just got off the Pearl and had dinner with the Captain. This was my first one at a specialty restaurant. All the others were in the Main Dining room with various officers.

On this cruise, there was a notice in the Freestyle paper the first 2 days to sign up for a chance to dine with the Officers regardless of Latitude status. I met a SILVER solo who was one of the lucky ones to get an invitation.

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction