Enchantment Drydock?

22 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Just wondering if the Enchantment has a scheduled drydock or refurb?  Considering a cruise in July 2020 and have been reading about the current so-so upkeep.  Thanks.

Dan

From what I've read on here, part of the problem with the so-so upkeep (at least in terms of the painting/corrosion control on the hull) is that they aren't allowed to paint while in port, either in Galveston or any of the Mexican ports that make up the lion's share of her current itineraries.

54 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Thanks all. So not before July next year. Appreciate it 

Dan

Normal Dry Dock is just to check underside side and Mech's. They dont usually do much else to ship. The upkeep paint, carpet, furniture replacement is done yr round. Exception is Amplify. But then ship's are out of service 3-6weeks instead on 2. 

4 hours ago, garnetpalmetto said:

From what I've read on here, part of the problem with the so-so upkeep (at least in terms of the painting/corrosion control on the hull) is that they aren't allowed to paint while in port, either in Galveston or any of the Mexican ports that make up the lion's share of her current itineraries.

I don’t understand how this is relevant, Enchantment has only been in Galveston a few months. 

4 hours ago, garnetpalmetto said:

Odd, Majesty was being painted in Cozumel a few weeks ago.   Little touch ups here and there.  I stayed on the ship that day and got some work done, they were right outside my window on deck 9.  Granted they may not have been painting at the waterline. 

3 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I don’t understand how this is relevant, Enchantment has only been in Galveston a few months. 

Once you are that old dry docks for maintenance purposes are required every two years.  They may or may dry dock her but they will be doing a lot of maintenance on a myriad of systems around the ship.  The list of things they must perform work on grows quickly when ships are old.

4 minutes ago, garnetpalmetto said:

Good grief, I thought it'd been longer than that and the amount of rust she's accumulating on her hull definitely made me think that!

LOL!

I believe it was May 2019 - we were in the Vision in April and Enchantment in June/July, so sometime in between

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

Once you are that old dry docks for maintenance purposes are required every two years.  They may or may dry dock her but they will be doing a lot of maintenance on a myriad of systems around the ship.  The list of things they must perform work on grows quickly when ships are old.

That’s as maybe but PP thought lack of painting was due to Galveston or ports she visited and I don’t think she has been there long enough for that to be the fundamental problem.

The ship certainly seems to have problems but I don’t know if the OP was asking about maintenance or refurbishment.

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Normal Dry Dock is just to check underside side and Mech's. They dont usually do much else to ship. The upkeep paint, carpet, furniture replacement is done yr round. Exception is Amplify. But then ship's are out of service 3-6weeks instead on 2. 

Didn't realize that.  So carpet, furnishings, and stuff like that is replaced all year during a cruise?  Interesting.

44 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

That’s as maybe but PP thought lack of painting was due to Galveston or ports she visited and I don’t think she has been there long enough for that to be the fundamental problem.

The ship certainly seems to have problems but I don’t know if the OP was asking about maintenance or refurbishment.

Not maintenance.  I trust RCCL to keep up the mechanics of their vessels.  I'm asking about lack of upkeep like worn carpet, rust showing around outside of ship and weld lines, worn furniture, etc...

I just looked at some walkthroughs on YouTube and honestly the ship looks very nice to me.  Am I missing something?  We've sailed exclusively Freedom and Voyager class with one Oasis class.  Those are our reference points.  Granted, our most recent cruise was on the AMPED Navigator and that was like a brand new ship in the public areas so I'm not using that as a comparison as it would be unfair.

4 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Didn't realize that.  So carpet, furnishings, and stuff like that is replaced all year during a cruise?  Interesting.

Not maintenance.  I trust RCCL to keep up the mechanics of their vessels.  I'm asking about lack of upkeep like worn carpet, rust showing around outside of ship and weld lines, worn furniture, etc...

I just looked at some walkthroughs on YouTube and honestly the ship looks very nice to me.  Am I missing something?  We've sailed exclusively Freedom and Voyager class with one Oasis class.  Those are our reference points.  Granted, our most recent cruise was on the AMPED Navigator and that was like a brand new ship in the public areas so I'm not using that as a comparison as it would be unfair.

When we cruised her two years ago, it was a few smaller issues - balcony doors that didn't latch properly, elevator buttons that didn't work, wear and tear, etc. When we saw her last month, her hull had noticeable rusty spots, especially around a few OV windows.

3 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

Like I said, I just got off Enchantment the 14th of October. The interior of the ship was immaculate, it was the exterior that needed some work. I can overlook a bit of rust, after all they are in a salt water environment. 

Thank you.  Same here, as long as the interior and pool deck looks great (like it did in the recent videos) and the exterior is reasonable, I'm happy.

Dan

On 10/24/2019 at 1:35 PM, garnetpalmetto said:

There was a cruiser here a few weeks ago who was writing a review of his family's Enchantment cruise in early October. They were in the Royal Suite, I believe.

He described the first two sea days and said that they were painting the outside of the ship and accidentally (?) painted over the air intake grates that fed the forward suites. The suites were uninhabitable for several hours due to the fumes; the crew had to clean the walls and carpets to get the smells out. Then, on the second sea day, the maintenance crews did it again, and they had to repeat the entire cleaning process.

For some reason unknown to me, that review has been pulled from CC, so I never got to see how the rest of his family's cruise went. 

Steve

12 minutes ago, JupiterTwo said:

There was a cruiser here a few weeks ago who was writing a review of his family's Enchantment cruise in early October. They were in the Royal Suite, I believe.

He described the first two sea days and said that they were painting the outside of the ship and accidentally (?) painted over the air intake grates that fed the forward suites. The suites were uninhabitable for several hours due to the fumes; the crew had to clean the walls and carpets to get the smells out. Then, on the second sea day, the maintenance crews did it again, and they had to repeat the entire cleaning process.

For some reason unknown to me, that review has been pulled from CC, so I never got to see how the rest of his family's cruise went. 

Steve

I read that review too and even commented on it. I believe what he described was painting the superstructure of the ship, not the hull and again, my understanding from that other post I read (which I'll have to find again) is that you can't paint the hull in those ports, but that other painting on the superstructure is allowed. Perhaps I could light the signal and  @chengkp75 could address whether there are such things (ports where hull painting isn't allowed? I'd assume that you couldn't paint the hull while the ship is out at sea without being stopped?)

We were on Enchantment in May.  It was the worst cruise I was ever on.  The entire ship is rusty.  The room attendant and the dining staff and the bar tenders were outstanding.  Those in charge of the ship were sloppy and didn't seem to care about anyone or anything.  They lied to us at every turn and mislead us about what was going on at every chance.  From day one and continuing on during departure.  I have never been on a cruise ship so poorly managed.

The problem is not just that it needs dry dock.  It needs the ongoing "propulsion" issues resolved!  Then it needs a new Captain.  Or, maybe it needs a new Captain who will get the propulsion system back up to 100%.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JupiterTwo said:

........For some reason unknown to me, that review has been pulled from CC, so I never got to see how the rest of his family's cruise went. 

Steve

I was following that review as well and thought it was odd that the entire review disappeared completely!

19 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Yes, I last few yrs sail Serenade every Oct-Dec. After she returns to FLL every yr is when they replace and do Maint. One year on turn around all Mistresses were done. next yr all Balcony Furniture was. But after returning they do all the wood railings, remove, sand and replace doing it section by section. Paint and rust scrapping also done. Do these cruises B2B2B & B4B, takes them weeks each yr get all done. This was done even after her last Dry Dock, not during...

2 hours ago, JupiterTwo said:

I was wondering what happened as I looked for that review again.  I believe the painting problem happened 2 or 3 times and they eventually moved.  I've read his reviews before as he is one of our local media guys.  That cruise seemed to have had multiple problems.  I was on Enchantment in August and things were "OK".

Hopefully Enchantment will get the attention she needs soon!

Patti