How NOT to behave in my time dining.

amzgirl

18 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

If they did not check in with the host/ess at the podium, and just entered and sat down at a table, their waitstaff were not "credited" with their presence, and did not get the appropriate tips.  So this couple was rude to everyone, passengers and staff alike.

Aren't they credited for nights guests do not show up as well though; if they go to buffet or specialty dining, or skip dinner altogether? 

Just now, LMaxwell said:

Aren't they credited for nights guests do not show up as well though; if they go to buffet or specialty dining, or skip dinner altogether? 

I would be curious to know this as well.  We skipped two nights, and both nights we told Treshana in advance that we would not be coming.

18 hours ago, amzgirl said:

Even though they seated themselves, they felt entitled to that table. They ended up complaining to management, 

That belongs on the page "Why are Boomers like this".  It is full of that behavior and mentality. Glad it was fixed for you immediately onboard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

That belongs on the page "Why are Boomers like this".  It is full of that behavior and mentality. Glad it was fixed for you immediately onboard. 

It's not boomers. Some people are just jerks.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

So sorry thus happened to you and your family but glad to see the positive in your post.  This is my biggest pet peeve any more with cruising, the crew is far more leery of correcting guests who do not follow the rules in fear of repurcussions and many realize this so push the limits.  We really need to start pushing the crew to enforce their own rules and  praising them for doing so, maybe we can outweigh the rule breakers who make a big fuss???

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

How does this even happen? Unless it's McDonald's or some other fast food establishment this wouldn't even happen at home unless you decide to eat at the bar. 

18 hours ago, HBE4 said:

People just walk into the dining room and seat themselves?

Apparently they have confused My Time Dining with At Home Dining.....or the MDR with the WJ

Maybe they just didn't know that they had to be seated during MTD. I know of plenty of places that are not fast food that guests are to seat themselves, and no, it's not at the bar. Yes, maybe these people were just jerks. But there is also the possibility that they didn't know any better. I still recall all the things I did on my first cruise that would get me flamed here, such as wearing my swim trunks and flip-flops to the MDR on formal night. I just find it interesting that people are blaming this other couple for acting entitled when I sense that same level of entitlement from some of you replying here.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Biker19 said:

If you have a standing reservation after a few nights it becomes routine and it's not unusual to just sit at your usual table without bothering the MTD host.

We had a standing reservations when we had my time dining but we still had to check in with the host to make sure of our seating. Sometimes we were at the same table and sometimes we were a table or two away.

m

• Like 1

4 hours ago, amzgirl said:

Actually we have always gotten the same server every night every time we’ve done my time dining. On night one they just put your reservation in for the rest of the week with the same server and usually the same table. So unless you’re unhappy with your server on night one, you should be able to get the same server all week pretty easily.

OK – don’t you still have to check in?  Or, are you simply able to walk in and sit down yourself? 

m

2 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

Maybe they just didn't know that they had to be seated during MTD. I know of plenty of places that are not fast food that guests are to seat themselves, and no, it's not at the bar. Yes, maybe these people were just jerks. But there is also the possibility that they didn't know any better. I still recall all the things I did on my first cruise that would get me flamed here, such as wearing my swim trunks and flip-flops to the MDR on formal night. I just find it interesting that people are blaming this other couple for acting entitled when I sense that same level of entitlement from some of you replying here.

I get what you're saying and kudo's to you for giving them the benefit of the doubt....but....you have to walk past 2 lines of people with 2 clearly marked signs: one for those with dinner reservations and the other for those without dinner reservations.  That pretty much covers everyone. 

EDIT: I would never walk in to an establishment and seat myself unless it was a bar or a sign said to seat myself. Or if a waitress told me to.

Edited by HBE4
  • Like 3

56 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

OK – don’t you still have to check in?  Or, are you simply able to walk in and sit down yourself? 

m

I've always checked-in, even when I've had reservations. I figured I should let the host know we were there and not try to give the table away, thinking we were a no-show after 15-30 minutes.

Also, whenever I've made MTD reservations for the week,  it's been for all different times ranging from 6:30 to 8:00 or even later, and have never requested the same table.  However, sometimes they  have given us the same table / severs (Liberty) and other times they don't (Oasis).   Just to be on the safe side, you may want to request the same table  if that's important to you.  Since it's just me and my wife, it's easier for them to fit us wherever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scottee25 said:

Yes, it could very well be a case of the couple just not knowing, but I 'm hesitant to believe that at 7pm it was so empty that they thought you could just walk in and find a table. I'm quite sure there was probably a line of people waiting to get in at that hour. Even if you don't see the signs for those with or without reservations, one would think you would question those standing around waiting if there was a wait or not.

I do understand the "newbie" thing, but even on land, if you visit a "nice" restaurant, you are usually shown a table. Of course, there are exceptions, but something tells me this couple understood what they were doing.

I am glad that this situation did not ruin your cruise and that you were able to look past this and enjoy.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I’ve never heard of passengers walking in for MTD dinner  and seating themselves. How is that even possible? 

We’ve only done my time dining for a few cruises and have been under the impression that you are not guaranteed the same table or server every night. That is why we mostly opt for traditional seating. 

m

Unfortunately, we learned that even traditional dining can have its hazards.

We had a ten-top on our last cruise, with the same eight people there each night.  Then one night two separate men showed up, sat down.  One wife arrived some time later.  The following night, four more people -- apparently friends of theirs -- arrived (late). When we were asked to move our chairs closer together so 12 people could fit in, we gave up.  We spoke with the AHW, and learned that she had been told our group had invited all the newbies.

It has left quite a sour taste to an otherwise wonderful cruise.

3 hours ago, cruisegirl1 said:

m

Our first cruise with MTD we had issues with our reservation on the first 2 nights.  3rd night, the head waiter found us a table and told us it would be ours for the rest of the cruise and we didn't need to check in at the podium.  So, it happens... 

• Like 4

After reading this thread, I must say I am amazed at all the fuss about having a certain table or waiters. Then again if you have a special needs person, then that is the only time I would agree to aim for the same.

I like trying different locations and different people.  ALL waiters are good.  And it is nice to meet other people too.

Then again I solve all this by just going to the wonderful nightly buffets up stairs.  It is where the Captain eats and it 

is much quieter and quicker.  You can view and selection your food.  Easy Peasy.  No fuss with the MDR.

As a side note, try DCL as they rotate around 3 dining rooms and you will have the same staff and table mates.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

After reading this thread, I must say I am amazed at all the fuss about having a certain table or waiters. Then again if you have a special needs person, then that is the only time I would agree to aim for the same.

I like trying different locations and different people.  ALL waiters are good.  And it is nice to meet other people too.

Then again I solve all this by just going to the wonderful nightly buffets up stairs.  It is where the Captain eats and it 

is much quieter and quicker.  You can view and selection your food.  Easy Peasy.  No fuss with the MDR.

As a side note, try DCL as they rotate around 3 dining rooms and you will have the same staff and table mates.  

This was actually the first time we requested a specific server, only because she was so wonderful with Matthew.  I didn't really give a hoot about the table, as I kept telling the staff, it was the server I was after.

I find the buffet to be too much work, especially when it can get quite crowded and one of us has to fetch two plates of food, one for us and one for Matthew.  That being said, we did go to the buffet for dinner twice and for other meals numerous times.  That's what's great about cruising, there is something that appeals to just about everyone.

On 11/4/2019 at 1:54 PM, Milwaukee Eight said:

We saw the same thing happen in the CK. We had a reservation and just as our table was cleaned, two ladies who were told no available seating went and sat down at our table. We couldn’t get a table until 45 minutes past our reservation. These were seasoned cruisers. They were not Suite Guest. So this happens in all venues. 

why didn't you insist that the two ladies be removed from your reserved table?  All too often people are allowed to get away with stuff like this because nobody stands up to them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, crazyank said:

why didn't you insist that the two ladies be removed from your reserved table?  All too often people are allowed to get away with stuff like this because nobody stands up to them.

I suspect Rory was too much of a gentleman and didn't want to cause a fuss.

I would have done the same as M8.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I suspect Rory was too much of a gentleman and didn't want to cause a fuss.

I would have done the same as M8.

And while we probably would have done the same this is why people are able to get away with such rude behavior. The crew knows they will get yelled at if they stop those in the wrong but won't be by those being inconvenienced.  They are too afraid of a bad review.  We all need to at least add these incidences to our comment cards to let the cruise lines know our displeasure in some way, not just ignore it as that only let's them get away with it.  Also if you see a crew member handling a situation praise them for it.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

They were no ladies. Sorry, but being a Jersey girl (who my husband says can bring a person to their knees without speaking above a whisper), I would have approached them with a “this is my table for which I have a reservation, now please remove your entitled butts from it.” Maybe would have gotten me thrown out but this would have exceeded my tolerance level. 

• Like 5

On 11/3/2019 at 8:56 PM, davekathy said:

Apparently.  Those self righteous ones that always feel entitled.  Me, me, me...

You got that right, my DS friend.  I blame the staff.  Those people should have been told to go back up to the front desk and ask to be seated as required.   Letting them get away with it made it worse.  Sounds like they had WJ mentality.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, island lady said:

You got that right, my DS friend.  I blame the staff.  Those people should have been told to go back up to the front desk and ask to be seated as required.   Letting them get away with it made it worse.  Sounds like they had WJ mentality.  😉 

I know at sometime I would have politely requested to speak to the head waiter for that section and possibly the maitre d away from everyone. At least the situation would have been brought to their attention. Even if you have the same table and time for MTD you still need to check in with the host at the podium. I guess some do not understand why. All I know is I'd either be fired or reassigned to apprentice dishwasher. 😏  But the dining venue isn't the only place some will storm pass a line of people. Those same people don't know what YIELD means when driving. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I know at sometime I would have politely requested to speak to the head waiter for that section and possibly the maitre d away from everyone. At least the situation would have been brought to their attention. Even if you have the same table and time for MTD you still need to check in with the host at the podium. I guess some do not understand why. All I know is I'd either be fired or reassigned to apprentice dishwasher. 😏  But the dining venue isn't the only place some will storm pass a line of people. Those same people don't know what YIELD means when driving. 

You got that right!!  Me first society....very sad.  😞  And well stated as is what I would have done as well.  When people are allowed to get away with their rule breaking (or at the very least...bad manners) ...they will continue to do so.   

Oh yeah...driving??!!  Worst!  When we travel in a 36 foot motor home, towing the Jeep with our kayaks on top...we are at 50 feet in length.  Idiots will pull out onto the highway, with the Yield sign clearly marked and not even look.  Then when they realize we are in that slow lane...they flip us off.  Figuring we can just hop on over to the other lane immediately to let them on.  What they don't see is the little car next to us in the fast lane.  Funny thing is they would not try that with tractor trailer.  😠

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, island lady said:

So what about the 4 Pinnacles who came into Jamie’s during our B2B lunch and, without waiting to be seated, not only plopped their butts down at the table next to us but pulled two 4 tops together to make space for 5. This threw our already over busy waiter into a tizzy. He told his manager who told them this was the B2B lunch ( they were not B2B)  and they told him their friend, a Pinnacle who was B2B , had said them it would be ok since there was no special lunch for Pinnacles😂.   Manager said he would have to call someone, next thing I knew waiters were buzzing around their table as, evidently, the Queen Bee Pinnacle arrived on her scooter. 🙄.  This made our service almost non existent,  we received many unasked for apologies from staff, including manager, as our lunch  took over 2 hours, but I noticed they got their food right away.

Should staff have stood up to them?  Do they have WJ mentality?😂

Sherri🙂

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

So what about the 4 Pinnacles who came into Jamie’s during our B2B lunch and, without waiting to be seated, not only plopped their butts down at the table next to us but pulled two 4 tops together to make space for 5. This threw our already over busy waiter into a tizzy. He told his manager who told them this was the B2B lunch ( they were not B2B)  and they told him their friend, a Pinnacle who was B2B , had said them it would be ok since there was no special lunch for Pinnacles😂.   Manager said he would have to call someone, next thing I knew waiters were buzzing around their table as, evidently, the Queen Bee Pinnacle arrived on her scooter. 🙄.  This made our service almost non existent,  we received many unasked for apologies from staff, including manager, as our lunch  took over 2 hours, but I noticed they got their food right away.

Should staff have stood up to them?  Do they have WJ mentality?😂

Sherri🙂

What you experienced were very rude people...I guarantee those people were rude even as Gold members and in all venues of life.  I still blame the staff for not pulling them aside to explain it to them and holding their ground.  And naturally if they were indeed all Pinnacles...they already knew what they were doing was wrong.  Those people should indeed have eaten in the WJ...where they belonged.  😉 

Unfortunately crew staff is so paranoid of getting survey black marks, that they cow down to the ones with bad manners (of any level).  How about chair hogs?  People cutting in line?  Boarding before your level is called? Abusing (sharing) the drink package? Smoking on the balconies?...etc...etc.   Of course the "me firsts"...are evident in all walks of life...not just cruising.  It's very sad what society has become.  The ones with manners have become the minority ....unfortunately.  😞 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, akcruz said:

And while we probably would have done the same this is why people are able to get away with such rude behavior. The crew knows they will get yelled at if they stop those in the wrong but won't be by those being inconvenienced.  They are too afraid of a bad review.  We all need to at least add these incidences to our comment cards to let the cruise lines know our displeasure in some way, not just ignore it as that only let's them get away with it.  Also if you see a crew member handling a situation praise them for it.

We always Insist on a table for 2 and wait until a table for 2 is available.

We have praised crew to the restaurant manager many times 

On our last cruise on Explorer 10-5 our waiter and assistant waiter were fantastic so I emailed MBayley to praise them which I was delighted to do because they deserved it.

I got a reply from MBayleys office the next day thanking me and assuring me they would be recognised and the hotel director informed.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 2