Bean Counters vs Diamonds

seeyakids

I wonder how the thousands of other people on the ship manage to socialize in the remaining 97% of public space on the ship?  Do people undergo a personality change when gaining high tier status to make them more sociable?

As one of the proletariat, I actually have found low-tier people more eager to talk than the people we have seen with gold pins, or the high-tiers we sat near in restaurants. One reason might be, and I am admittedly speculating here, is that us relative newbies want to talk about excursions  that high-tiers have long ago stopped taking (snorkeling? shopping?) and the cool things on the ship all around us that are novel to us.

I would suggest that people in the DL just might have more common things to talk about, not that they are more sociable. Or perhaps the people there aren't that interested in the things non-DL people try to talk about.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yikes! You or someone else made such a comment before and IIRC it was about Graham and I mistook it. Hopefully next time I will remember that the comment isn't being rude. Sorry about that.

Why does everyone think people who go to the DL do nothing but brag about how many cruises they have been on? Just because someone talks about some of their cruises doesn't mean they are bragging. I for one love to hear about others experiences and I have learned a great deal from them just as I do on here. Maybe I'm not meeting those people? I shall continue my perks and the company in there.

Either they are assuming or starting the conversation themselves. We have never heard or been part of any conversation that some specially asked our tier level, cabin category  or how many cruises we've been on. Now we've been asked have we done the specific itinerary we are currently on. Or any future cruises booked and where to. Most of the time it's where are you from or where do you live. I'm a speed/power walker and after a few days on the ship someone will always say something about they saw me and comment on how fast I walk the track. Then that leads into a whole different conversation. I never mention I'm a CC member either. I don't want to take the chance of running into someone I offended. 😉

• Like 2

I am exited to soon becoming Diamond +, and when I meet people that have been at this level or above I have always been fascinated by how many cruise points they have.  I am glad when they share this information and am proud for what they have.

The Diamond + level is a very lengthy tier to complete before Pinnacle, and I am very interested in how cruisers get to celebrate the different  milestones at this level.

From cruise blocks, to meals with officers to welcome aboard gifts, and other perks.

And seeing their excitement as they close in on Pinnacle..............awesome.

Jealous,-------- no,------------ gives me something to look forward to.  

Bring it on and thanks for sharing.

So when I sit with you in any venue (diamond lounge/suite lounge) on the ship, love to hear your stories.

Safe travels.

• Like 3

We are Diamond + members with over 100 cruises with 10 different lines . We never discuss our cruises with anyone except if asked if  we traveled on a specific ship . However , We  are getting the feeling that cruise lines wish they never started these perks .The bean counters see it as a big hit on the bottom line. Anyone else get that feeling?

You don't have to be in a lounge for someone to bring up their status. We were on a private excursion when a women who was traveling with her extended family asked us how many sailings we had with Royal. We have been sailing with Princess and Celebrity so this was only our 2 sailing in 20yrs. She informed me that this was their fist cruise as Diamond. I congratulated her. I felt that she was just excited about finally reaching that status and wasn't bragging.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I think you missed it is here.  Graham is a friend of mine, I would never..ever see him as bragging.  And he was not.  I was miffed that a certain poster felt the need to directly ask him how many points he had (obviously expecting him to quote that he was over 350 and was trying to cut out perks for D+ that were under that...but it back fired).  Graham was polite (as usual) and answered fully.  

Graham and Pauline are two of the nicest people you will meet on a cruise.  I can't wait to cruise with both of them, hopefully soon.  

Thank you Pat for your very kind words and I am delighted to be able to call you my friend.

You and Bucky are extremely nice people and we would love to cruise with you both also.

1 hour ago, ReneeFLL said:

Yikes! You or someone else made such a comment before and IIRC it was about Graham and I mistook it. Hopefully next time I will remember that the comment isn't being rude. Sorry about that.

Why does everyone think people who go to the DL do nothing but brag about how many cruises they have been on? Just because someone talks about some of their cruises doesn't mean they are bragging. I for one love to hear about others experiences and I have learned a great deal from them just as I do on here. Maybe I'm not meeting those people? I shall continue my perks and the company in there.

Most of the time I sit and listen while Pauline does most of the talking.

We love cruising and have gleaned lots of valuable information on cc plus from other cruisers in DL/CL

If asked I try to give information that I  know would help me if I didn't know the answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lionesss said:

I am exited to soon becoming Diamond +, and when I meet people that have been at this level or above I have always been fascinated by how many cruise points they have.  I am glad when they share this information and am proud for what they have.

The Diamond + level is a very lengthy tier to complete before Pinnacle, and I am very interested in how cruisers get to celebrate the different  milestones at this level.

From cruise blocks, to meals with officers to welcome aboard gifts, and other perks.

So when I sit with you in any venue (diamond lounge/suite lounge) on the ship, love to hear your stories.

Safe travels.

What a lovely post.

We have never been to Alaska,New England, Hawaii, Australia or far east and love hearing people's stories which makes us want to experience this.

Most of our cruises have been Europe, Mediterranean and Arabia with a couple of Carribbean cruises and I happily give the pros and cons of these ports if someone is interested in hearing.

Graham

36 minutes ago, becknal said:

We are Diamond + members with over 100 cruises with 10 different lines . We never discuss our cruises with anyone except if asked if  we traveled on a specific ship . However , We  are getting the feeling that cruise lines wish they never started these perks .The bean counters see it as a big hit on the bottom line. Anyone else get that feeling?

Congratulations on all those cruises,I would love to hear about the different cruise lines from someone who has sailed this many.

We sail RC,P&O and Princess and imo RC are head and shoulders above these other cruiselines in most categories.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:38 PM, compman9 said:

You are talking from an American perspective - RCI is a global brand with ships all over the world

All cruise lines have a loyalty package. not all offer booze for a couple of hours, but those lines have attracted different loyal guests. For long cruises, some prefer free laundry etc.

I have only done 3 cruises (2 with RC) and this is so, so, SO true. I live in Perth, Western Australia. Cannot say that Fremantle Port frequently hosts RCI ships!

Realistically I will never achieve Diamond and I will be lucky to get to Emerald.

To get to a cruise I have to fly. Flying between Australian cities is not like the US- it is expensive! For my husband and I to fly to somewhere that cruises actually depart or return to (say Melbourne) easily costs at LEAST $600AU (often $800) and takes about 8 hours door to door- no getting on a plane and headed straight to the cruise the same day, as you won't make it in time- spending the night beforehand is an absolute requirement, not a choice. Decent accommodation in an even somewhat reasonable location costs an additional $150AU.

Deciding to do a cruise can also take a lot more effort- those prices almost double if you're not booking well in advance (or willing to not sleep/stay somewhere unpleasant).

If RCI really wanted to give back to those that actively choose them over other lines they would give extra points for effort required to get to a cruise!

24 minutes ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

...Realistically I will never achieve Diamond and I will be lucky to get to Emerald...

Never say never. 😉 This is our approach concerning the different tier levels no matter the cruise line. We cruise different lines (mostly Celebrity and RC) for the enjoyment of cruising and don't concern ourselves with hurrying to make it to the next tier level. One cruise at a time and before you know it... When it happens it happens. We really enjoy the perks/benefits that come along with the different tier levels. And if you want to wear your tier level pin/badge, go for it. Who cares what the very few downers think of it. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

No problem...I figured it was just a misunderstanding.  🙂  

And totally agree about your comments about bragging.  I have not experienced it myself either, and agree also that the DL/CL/SL is a wonderful atmosphere to talk about experiences while cruising.  Everyone seems so willing to share information and are helpful.  Have learned a lot from those experienced cruisers! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you Pat for your very kind words and I am delighted to be able to call you my friend.

You and Bucky are extremely nice people and we would love to cruise with you both also.

☺️ Awww...so sweet of you.  Thanks!  🙂 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, becknal said:

Nope. We'll just keep on enjoying it and deal with any changes if they come about positive or negative.  Way above my pay grade.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Safe travels.

Very nicely said.  🙂  Totally agree!  

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, becknal said:

I disagree, the reason that Royal Caribbean has such tremendous growth and is such a great company is because of it's C & A loyalty program.That's why it's ships almost always sail full.😁

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Never say never. 😉 This is our approach concerning the different tier levels no matter the cruise line. We cruise different lines (mostly Celebrity and RC) for the enjoyment of cruising and don't concern ourselves with hurrying to make it to the next tier level. One cruise at a time and before you know it... When it happens it happens. We really enjoy the perks/benefits that come along with the different tier levels. And if you want to wear your tier level pin/badge, go for it. Who cares what the very few downers think of it. 

I remember thinking we would never make Diamond...and how excited we were when we achieved that level, proudly wearing my cute little Diamond pin, which our little stuffed Dolphin now wears that travels with us..."Diamond Dolly"!  Totally agree...who cares about the downers...that's their problem.  Carry on my DS friend!  Cheers!   😎🍷🥂

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

I remember thinking we would never make Diamond...and how excited we were when we achieved that level, proudly wearing my cute little Diamond pin, which our little stuffed Dolphin now wears that travels with us..."Diamond Dolly"!  Totally agree...who cares about the downers...that's their problem.  Carry on my DS friend!  Cheers!   😎🍷🥂

Agree. I believe most of us, whether a CC member or not feel the same way. Just a few here on CC. I also believe some of the downers have never stepped foot in a DL or CL (we've never been in the suite lounge) due to not being a card carrying  member. 😏 Possibly envious?. Which was very apparent to some of us when the fun, tongue in cheek DS thread was alive and well. Looks like you're about a month out for your Harmony cruise.  Rock on my DS friend. 😎🍻 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 5

10 hours ago, Lionesss said:

Safe Enjoy 

Congrats on soon becoming D+. Maybe we'll come across each other some day.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mayleeman said:

I wonder how the thousands of other people on the ship manage to socialize in the remaining 97% of public space on the ship?  Do people undergo a personality change when gaining high tier status to make them more sociable?

As one of the proletariat, I actually have found low-tier people more eager to talk than the people we have seen with gold pins, or the high-tiers we sat near in restaurants. One reason might be, and I am admittedly speculating here, is that us relative newbies want to talk about excursions  that high-tiers have long ago stopped taking (snorkeling? shopping?) and the cool things on the ship all around us that are novel to us.

I would suggest that people in the DL just might have more common things to talk about, not that they are more sociable. Or perhaps the people there aren't that interested in the things non-DL people try to talk about.

Outside of some of the anger issues, I agree with you.  New cruisers do a lot of things that veteran cruisers no longer think about.  Although, I still scuba dive and snorkel, I do not obsess about what tour to take.  Most people who have cruised a long time think about doing things that are not quite as obvious.  

I will admit that the DL our CL or SL can be a bit predictable, with lots of senior citizens.  That said, whether you meet me in the lounge or on the flowrider, I will always treat you as my equal, and try to help you have a better experience or share my useful information.   About keeping the weight on your back foot and when you are on the wave that the board will go whichever way your butt goes.  Tuck you butt under your shoulders while standing up straight and you will go in the direction of your belly button, stick your bum out and you will go that way.  If you want to be at the top of the wave you have to have your board turned sideways or really really have the weight on your back foot.  If you can’t figure out the butt part you will yo yo up and down the wave faster and faster until you crash.  

If you want to snorkel with a bunch of sharks, consider going to Bora Bora, or the Great Barrier Reef, if you want to see penguins, take a cruise around the tip of South America.  If you want to see a Puffin, you had better be lucky, because they are shy and fly fast.  The fjords in Norway, Alaska, New Zealand and South America look a lot the same. (All are lovely).

If you want to see the northern lights skip the cruise and fly to Tromso in the winter.  If you want to have a lovely relaxing experience consider a river cruise thru Europe, where you are almost certainly going to be in the youngest 10% on the cruise, other than crew.  That said, you had better have a very nice income to afford it.  Royal Caribbean is not the only cruise line, they are just the only cruise line with a flowrider, which by definition makes them the best.  RC is not the only cruise line with lounges dedicated to veteran cruises, but they have best loyalty program by far.  

YMMV and JMHO

jc

• Thanks 2

@xpcdoojk You know, I was afraid that what I intended as a wry observation (that it is unlikely that people upon gaining Diamond level are newly capable of better social interaction than they exhibited 1 point prior) might be misinterpreted. Rest assured, no anger. I apologize for that impression. I really was just searching for experiential reasons socializing might be different in the lounge.

But people who are "they" always will perk their ears up when those who are "we" start attributing more desirable characteristics to their own group. And frankly, I don't enjoy when the D lounge overflow rooms results in closing other venues that are usually open to the rest of us. (No one here, I think, has even suggested an awareness of that problem in all the clamoring for more space and access to the promised drinks. If someone has, mea culpa.)

My wife and I are avid talkers and learners. Ships have seemed to me like time travels to college and all those friendships just waiting to be formed with new and different people. I enjoyed many conversations with low and high tier, and I have benefited greatly from all I have learned on the ship and here. I have passed much of it on to other noobs, too. (A really helpful one I learned from our D+ dinner companions:  Buy liquor on board on the last evening of your first leg of a B2B--you might get to keep it on the 2nd leg!)

Thank you for your suggestions. All of those are on my more exotic bucket list!

Edited by mayleeman

11 minutes ago, mayleeman said:

I don't enjoy when the D lounge overflow rooms results in closing other venues that are usually open to the rest of us. (No one here, I think, has even suggested an awareness of that problem in all the clamoring for more space and access to the promised drinks. If someone has, mea culpa.)

I've mentioned this for years.  I do think it is a valid issue.  Over the past few years some of the best areas, panoramic views, signature lounges/features that were available to all have been eroded.  Without capacity to regularly service all guests, more public spaces run risk of being closed off to all in lieu of some.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mayleeman said:

My wife and I are avid talkers and learners. Ships have seemed to me like time travels to college and all those friendships just waiting to be formed with new and different people. 

In our opinion, cruises are more like going to summer camp. Great new friends, fun times and maybe we will see you again. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

Outside of some of the anger issues, I agree with you.  New cruisers do a lot of things that veteran cruisers no longer think about.  Although, I still scuba dive and snorkel, I do not obsess about what tour to take.  Most people who have cruised a long time think about doing things that are not quite as obvious.  

I will admit that the DL our CL or SL can be a bit predictable, with lots of senior citizens.  That said, whether you meet me in the lounge or on the flowrider, I will always treat you as my equal, and try to help you have a better experience or share my useful information.   About keeping the weight on your back foot and when you are on the wave that the board will go whichever way your butt goes.  Tuck you butt under your shoulders while standing up straight and you will go in the direction of your belly button, stick your bum out and you will go that way.  If you want to be at the top of the wave you have to have your board turned sideways or really really have the weight on your back foot.  If you can’t figure out the butt part you will yo yo up and down the wave faster and faster until you crash.  

If you want to snorkel with a bunch of sharks, consider going to Bora Bora, or the Great Barrier Reef, if you want to see penguins, take a cruise around the tip of South America.  If you want to see a Puffin, you had better be lucky, because they are shy and fly fast.  The fjords in Norway, Alaska, New Zealand and South America look a lot the same. (All are lovely).

If you want to see the northern lights skip the cruise and fly to Tromso in the winter.  If you want to have a lovely relaxing experience consider a river cruise thru Europe, where you are almost certainly going to be in the youngest 10% on the cruise, other than crew.  That said, you had better have a very nice income to afford it.  Royal Caribbean is not the only cruise line, they are just the only cruise line with a flowrider, which by definition makes them the best.  RC is not the only cruise line with lounges dedicated to veteran cruises, but they have best loyalty program by far.  

YMMV and JMHO

jc

Fantastic advice.