Bean Counters vs Diamonds

seeyakids

By raising point tiers and slashing benefits Royal could wholesale chop off loyalty members and make way for newbies at more revenue...but really, the drinks don't cost them a fortune, and neither do the balcony discounts.  

Royal should be careful with the beast they built.  If they did that they could lead the industry in a race to zero in which all brands start to eschew loyal guests in favor of fresh revenue.  Sooner or later, though, economies will shift and Royal has some very large ships that must remain full and the picture is a lot different than even 10 years ago.  

1 hour ago, Saab4444 said:

Why are 3 free drinks per night and person not enough?

Well. If it is enough for particular cruiser he/she does not have to order more.

I would remove 3 drinks limit, let people get drinks in bars. This is already done on Celebrity and their lounge is not overcrowded.

3 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Well. If it is enough for particular cruiser he/she does not have to order more.

I would remove 3 drinks limit, let people get drinks in bars. This is already done on Celebrity and their lounge is not overcrowded.

Is not Celebrity's lounge for Suite and Zeniths only 

My granddaughter will be D, in her own right, at the age of 12 and she has earned every point herself.  Maybe she was the 2nd person on the reservation and why would you think the price for the first and second person should count for more than the third and fourth person in a room.  We have stayed in suites for 3 years to reach the D level, not because we wanted the free drinks, Star Class gives us more than that, but because we just wanted to say we reached that level.  We have looked at the DL lounges and cannot say they look that special.  Maybe RCI needs to revamp some of their perkes but you cannot make everyone happy.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Sorry to hear you are now a widow but pleased you still cruise.

I totally agree with you that the program needs changing.

Diamond should be 175 points and Diamond+ 350 points to reward loyalty.

Current Diamonds 3 free drinks during HH should still be honoured but Lounge access should start at the new level of 175 points.

Husband and wife should stay the same but children's future points should be in line with how many points they have earned.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all.  Having such a high number to reach Diamond will cause many cruisers to just give up at the idea and just forget about the loyalty altogether.  Leave Diamond at 80 where it is. 

We're approaching Diamond level and we favor Royal Caribbean because the Diamond level perk (nightly drinks) is something attainable within reason.  No way is someone going to be enticed by 3 nightly drinks or a Diamond lounge if they need to do 25 7-night cruises to get there

To solve this crowding issue (IMO) you need to rename the "Diamond lounge" into the "Loyalty Lounge" and set a C&A point value to get in during happy hour.  All existing drink vouchers would still be valid for Diamonds and above elsewhere on the ship during that time.

Dan

Edited by The Fun Researcher
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

We just sailed on Summit 2 months ago and Sky lounge was used for Elites and Elites+ from 5 to 7 PM.

There were appetizers and unlimited drinks. Unlimited drinks were also provided in all except for World bars.

Edited by Tatka

1 minute ago, Tatka said:

We just sailed on Summit 2 months ago and Sky lounge was used for Elites and Elites+ from 5 to 7 PM.

There were appetizers and unlimited drinks. Unlimited drinks were also provided in all except for World bars.

so Celebrity is only for two hours.... not much time for that many drinks

2 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

Celebrity has the Sky Lounge that is only open in the evening from 5 to 7:PM for elite, elite plus and zenith. Michael's Club/The retreat Lounge is open 24 hours and is for suite and zenith.  

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tulsacoker said:

so Celebrity is only for two hours.... not much time for that many drinks

Celebrity also offers breakfast every morning from 8 to 10AM with unlimited Bloody Marys, Bellinis, Mimosas in special restaurant, so it is pretty close.

Key is... Unlimited HH is not only in lounge.

There is a difference though. On Royal list is more limited, but servers bring more drinks than on the list. Celebrity's list includes cocktails (not many, but about 6).

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all.  Having such a high number to reach Diamond will cause many cruisers to just give up at the idea.  Leave Diamond at 80 where it is. 

We're approaching Diamond level and we favor Royal Caribbean because the Diamond level perk (nightly drinks) is something attainable within reason.  No way is someone going to be enticed by 3 nightly drinks or a Diamond lounge if they need to do 25 7-night cruises to get there

To solve this crowding issue (IMO) you need to rename the "Diamond lounge" into the "Loyalty Lounge" and set a C&A point value to get in during happy hour.  All existing drink vouchers would still be valid for Diamonds and above elsewhere on the ship during that time.

Dan

I have made similar suggestions on other threads to what you are saying.

We were approaching Diamond when they banned Diamonds from the CL.

Edited by grapau27

4 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

Sounds like RCI should do a D+ purge on each cruise. Randomly remove the D, and D+ status to equal the space available in the lounge.  

I made Diamond over 20yrs ago there was no Diamond Lounge. We had use of Concierge Lounge, was no such thing as Diamond Plus or Pinnacle. That said what you're suggesting won't happen...

5 minutes ago, Tatka said:

...and zenith. Zenith also has access to Michales Club/The Retreat Lounge. 

3 hours ago, Tulsacoker said:

dont see any perk being stripped. if you are so dead set on being in the DL get there early 

What a curt reply. Try this one: Grandeur's Diamond Lounge has seating for about 20-22. Most of the twelve day cruises have over 500 D's and above.

Anthem's Diamond Lounge has seating for about 25-30. On my last Anthem 12-day, there were over 1,200 D's and above. 

How early do you think a person should get there? Do you think if a D+ throws a towel over a chair it would be considered saved.

Another other good ideas?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, davekathy said:

...and zenith. Zenith also has access to Michales Club/The Retreat Lounge. 

Probably. I assume Zenith would rather use Michales Club/The Retreat Lounge, although I don't remember Sky lounge being crowded.

1 minute ago, ONECRUISER said:

I made Diamond over 20yrs ago there was no Diamond Lounge. We had use of Concierge Lounge, was no such thing as Diamond Plus or Pinnacle. That said what you're suggesting won't happen...

Sorry but I wasn't being serious... 

1 minute ago, John Reid said:

What a curt reply. Try this one: Grandeur's Diamond Lounge has seating for about 20-22. Most of the twelve day cruises have over 500 D's and above.

Anthem's Diamond Lounge has seating for about 25-30. On my last Anthem 12-day, there were over 1,200 D's and above. 

How early do you think a person should get there? Do you think if a D+ throws a towel over a chair it would be considered saved.

Several times we used Grander's DL it was always extended to South Pacific lounge.

Anthem's is really crowded, although I think you can use adjacent hall too.

I realize some have gotten their status on coat tails and some paid a lot for double points in a suite.  But alot have also earned that one night at a time.  Currently at 250....we will never make pinnacle however that's a lot of months at sea and I feel it deserves some perks.  It also keeps us coming back rather then taking our money elsewhere.  I appreciate all the perks. I enjoy the lounge.  It would be pretty rough if it all changed.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, John Reid said:

good grief people, what do any of you do when trying to go to the ice / aqua show and you know its going to be full? 

• Like 1