This is COMPLETELY unacceptable MSC Meraviglia!!!

annimc19

So have you read your email?   Are you angry?   Well I am!!!! 

It's bad enough I had to pluck around on the website for 15 minutes to find out Cirque du Soleil was an additional charge.   I can live with that.   After another 10 minutes, I find that every show is sold out.    Well that's just swell.

So today I received the following email:  

On behalf of the entire leadership team at MSC Cruises, we are looking forward to welcoming you onboard the beautiful MSC Meraviglia in just a few days.  The arrival of MSC Meraviglia to North America has generated tremendous press and overall excitement as she becomes our fourth ship to operate from PortMiami offering Caribbean cruises.  Not only does the arrival of MSC Meraviglia represent the largest capacity we have ever had in North America, but she is the largest ship in the MSC Cruises fleet to sail the Caribbean providing new unique offerings such as Cirque Du Soleil at Sea and a LED domed promenade that is the heartbeat of the ship.

Nothing beats seeing this beauty yourself, so we are honored you have chosen to spend a few days with us to experience everything MSC Cruises has to offer your clients.

While I know experiencing MSC Meraviglia is a top priority of yours, I also know you were excited to be amongst the first to visit our new private island, Ocean Cay MSC Marine Reserve.  I regret to inform you that we will not be calling on Ocean Cay during your cruise as we have delayed her opening to Thursday, December 5th. 

The development of the island has been a multiyear project in which we’ve worked with multiple contractors and partners to take on the challenge of transforming what was once an industrial sand excavation site into a stunning tropical destination, including designating the surrounding waters as a flourishing marine reserve.

MSC Cruises has been determined to develop Ocean Cay in the most eco-friendly and sustainable way.  This began over three years ago with significant efforts to clear the island and surrounding ocean bed from all discarded debris. This included removing a total of 7,500 tons of scrap metal and relocating coral colonies from debris on the ocean bed, with a long-term vision of encouraging coral to grow and repopulate. A significant landscaping project is also underway to restore the native flora and biodiversity of the island – in total more than 75,000 plants and shrubs will be planted across the island.

This extensive project has experienced some recent unforeseen operational delays which is why we are postponing the opening of the island by a few weeks.  Delivering the best experience for your clients is our number one priority, so these additional days to ready the island is greatly appreciated.

With that said, we have an incredible agenda planned for you while onboard MSC Meraviglia and we know you will enjoy every second of our time together.  Thank you for being a great partner and we look forward to spending time with you in the coming days.

Sincerely,

To be SO nonchallant......... offer no compensation.......... offer no replacement port......... and worst of all,  expect us to believe the project managers they hired for the island project were so daft they didn't realize until TODAY that the island would't be ready for 3 weeks?   Are you even kidding me?    Here's the kicker.......   the guy that wrote this letter didn't email it himself, he had Pamela somebody-or-other WHO IS OUT OF THE OFFICE    " While I am out on the road November 13th – 14th, 2019, I will have limited access to my email…Your message is very important to all of us at MSC Cruises and will be addressed as soon as possible"  send it out!!     This has been handled REALLY poorly, and I will never again recommend MSC to my clients!  Oh yeh......   I'm a travel agent.

• Like 1

This does not phase us, we are booked for the 24NOV departure and understood that the OC was a stretch to actually be open.

Not much of a seasoned traveler to expect otherwise.

Next big headline, winter storms delay airtravel from Chicago🤓

MSC is a great value, no vacay is perfect...enjoy life and the vacay of your choice.

Cheers

• Like 3

This does not phase us, we are booked for the 24NOV departure and understood that the OC was a stretch to actually be open.

Not much of a seasoned traveler to expect otherwise.

Next big headline, winter storms delay airtravel from Chicago[emoji851]

MSC is a great value, no vacay is perfect...enjoy life and the vacay of your choice.

Cheers

Exactly. Personally, I applaud MSC for leveling with people and letting them know before their cruise starts that they won’t be visiting Ocean Cay, which they’re not even obligated to do based on the terms of carriage. Yes, it’s disappointing but I think the original poster is overreacting. Just my $.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

Even without Cirque du Soleil and Ocean Cay, I’d still love to sail on the Meraviglia again. What a fantastic experience! One of the best cruises I’ve ever taken in my 35+ years cruising, 

As others mentioned: ports of call are subject

to change. Disappointing? Yes. But anybody booking a cruise to a new destination, on a new ship, or after a recent dry dock shouldn't be surprised by delays or changes to plans. 

I’m surprised that as a TA you weren’t aware about the charge for Cirque du Soleil shows. I learned about it rather quickly and easily without much research. I’m also surprised that all shows are already sold out for your sailing. We waited until we boarded the ship to book 2 performances. Both were available and for the dates we wanted. We did it right from the MSC for Me app. Super easy. 

• Like 5

So for $598 including gratuity and port fees for 2 people in a balcony, you get 4 days on an amazing ship. Yes missing the island is disappointing, but the fireworks, parade, etc. were never mentioned as happening to begin with. There are great seminars planned, and if you had been paying attention to any industry sites or travel social media for the past month this delay could have been expected. Cirque is not necessarily sold out...They do reserve spots for onboard bookings. Go as soon as you board your try and reserve. Enjoy the ship and the great things it has to offer, and appreciate that they aren’t taking you somewhere that’s not ready for visitors. Use the seminars to learn all there is to know about MSC to know what to advise your clients on when they sail.

• Like 2

I have been bemused by many posts about bad travel agents who didn't know squat.  Now I understand...  So glad I have a GOOD travel agent, who has sailed on the ships I'm contemplating and gives me good advice to anticipate or avoid problems.

• Like 6

I’m excited to find out where we will be going instead...even if it’s an extra day at sea!! I still haven’t received any type of notification about this and yes, I’d love to be some of the first on the new island but maybe with our next sailing, the nuts and bolts will be well greased and it will be “smooth sailing!”

• Like 1

Just spent 13 days on Meraviglia -- I pre booked Cirque in March for October/November sailing, if you want to see or do something you have to pre plan.

Regarding Ocean Cay sorry you are going to miss it but a lot of people are missing it, 5000 people on our cruise missed it.

Life is short stop complaining

• Like 3

I repeat, with no disrespect or pain to anyone ...Did you really expect it to open on time, or even the early revised times?

This stuff just never works and it won't open on 5th December either!

To be advised is disappointing, but to be told in advance over being on board is to be respected.

• Like 2

Everyone who has any common sense knows never to book an inaugaural cruise or cruises aftera ship has been in dry dock. The island is know different - except it is permantly in dry dock.

Ship or island just enjoy it, the island is not going away (sorry could be if it gets hit by a hurrican).

• Like 2

OP: The letter you received from MSC does not mention compensation from MSC for missing Ocean Cay.  Thus far, all of the cancelled stops have been offered very generous OBC and booking incentive (20%).  Are they offering you anything? 

I think many are missing the point again.  I suspect the OP is most upset about the deceptive advertising campaign that was launched the week of November 9th, immediately followed by MSC announcing further closings.

I would hope we can all agree that MSC was in error with their last minute marketing campaign centered on a visit to Ocean Cay. No company is perfect. Discussing the imperfections does not make a consumer a 'basher' or 'negative', rather it allows for more realistic expectations to be set. That is the point of "Cruse Critic". 

Instead of attacking the OP, how about a little compassion?

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

OP: The letter you received from MSC does not mention compensation from MSC for missing Ocean Cay.  Thus far, all of the cancelled stops have been offered very generous OBC and booking incentive (20%). 

Just to clarify, BB.  It's not 20% off a future cruise;  it's a 20% rebate off what we paid for the affected cruise as a credit towards a future cruise.

I'm currently in the process of confirming that we will get it off a cruise I'm considering.

Edited by Beamafar

10 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Just to clarify, BB.  It's not 20% off a future cruise;  it's a 20% rebate off what we paid for the affected cruise as a credit towards a future cruise.

I'm currently in the process of confirming that we will get it off a cruise I'm considering.

Yes, of course. I knew that but I should have been more clear. Thank you for clarifying. 

Where are you off to next??? 

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

OP: The letter you received from MSC does not mention compensation from MSC for missing Ocean Cay.  Thus far, all of the cancelled stops have been offered very generous OBC and booking incentive (20%).  Are they offering you anything? 

I think many are missing the point again.  I suspect the OP is most upset about the deceptive advertising campaign that was launched the week of November 9th, immediately followed by MSC announcing further closings.

I would hope we can all agree that MSC was in error with their last minute marketing campaign centered on a visit to Ocean Cay. No company is perfect. Discussing the imperfections does not make a consumer a 'basher' or 'negative', rather it allows for more realistic expectations to be set. That is the point of "Cruse Critic". 

Instead of attacking the OP, how about a little compassion?

It is unlikely in the OP's case that compensation will be offered.  The rate she is booked under was a travel agent FAM (familiarization) trip, and the amount paid was essentially port charges and gratuities.  There was little to no "base" cruise fare included to put the 20% FCC against.  They may do the OBC, but again, the purpose of MSC offering this rate was for familiarization of the ship to the agents to enable them to learn about the product and sell it better to their clients.  Ocean Cay was supposed to be a part of this "showing off", however, for obvious reasons, that was changed.  There are multiple seminars and classes being offered at no cost to the agents on this group, and those will still happen.  For people on the sailing who paid regular fare (as discounted as that was), I would expect based on what I have seen that MSC will still be providing the same compensation as the other sailings to date, however; I have not received confirmation of that yet.

• Like 3

BB ... We have 2 booked for next year;  Musica in May from Venice to the Greek Isles, then Preziosa YC in September doing the west coast of Europe.

I'm eyeing a repo in 2021 that I'd like to be able to use the future cruise discount for - the price of cruise is irrelevant as it'll be the same discount amount regardless of whether we book a 7 night or a 25 night (in this instance).  Very clever on MSC's part not to offer a clear-cut 20% off a future cruise, thereby controlling the value of the offer.

On Splendida last year we were given a 50% discount off a future cruise with no T&Cs or time limits.  Someone has posted on FB that there are T&Cs with this latest one, but I haven't received anything from MSC (no surprise there!) other than the original letter to the cabin (a photo of which I posted on the thread).

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Very clever on MSC's part not to offer a clear-cut 20% off a future cruise, thereby controlling the value of the offer.

Otherwise I woud expect them to exclude some offers like MSC Specials or Holiday Breaks. This future cruise credit has brought a lot of unhappiness to us in the past (the one you bought on the ship for your next cruise). 

2 minutes ago, perakcruiser said:

Otherwise I woud expect them to exclude some offers like MSC Specials or Holiday Breaks. This future cruise credit has brought a lot of unhappiness to us in the past (the one you bought on the ship for your next cruise). 

From what I've seen posted on FB, the T&Cs do exclude some offers (unlike the 50% discount we got on Splendida).  I'm waiting to hear if it can be applied with the VC selection cruise of 5+10% discount on the cruise I'm looking at.

For an Aurea Balcony, it'll cost €38 MORE with the extra 10% discount than if I go with the Choose & Cruise promotion, but with €100 OBC (so that would only be worth €62, actually 🙄).  If I could book an Aurea Suite (which is not available for now) it would be €26 less, plus €100 OBC, than if I book Choose & Cruise.  For this reason, I would forgo the VC 5+10% just so I can apply the rebate.

The only future cruise credit vouchers I remember were the ones that you purchased for €10 and they gave an OBC value which differed depending on cabin type you booked.  One of ours gave us €400 OBC for a YC booking.  😜

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

The only future cruise credit vouchers I remember were the ones that you purchased for €10 and they gave an OBC value which differed depending on cabin type you booked.  One of ours gave us €400 OBC for a YC booking.  😜

Yes, that is what I am talking. They sold ONE product on board, but that T&C did not match there billions of local products. It should be valid for "Last Minute" bookings, but this Last Minute offers had a different name in different markets and at the end we were told "only Italy MSC last minute". Some endless discussions on board with unhappy customers and disappearing Service Charges later, MSC cancelled it. 

I am currently booked on the Meraviglia departing on Nov. 17th.  I am not a travel agent, they had a great FL resident special running so why not.  It’s a little disappointing that we will miss Ocean Cay , but what’s upsetting (which I understand the OP’s frustration) is that even MSC knowing that Ocean Cay will not be “opened” until December 5th, the sailing for Nov 17th on their website still shows Ocean Cay as the port of destination!  I think that’s pretty deceptive. 😠

90053FCC-5EA4-47A0-881E-058F1381EBDC.png

• Like 1

17 hours ago, annimc19 said:

You guys are right.   I am completely out of line and have no idea what I'm doing.   MSC did nothing wrong by offering an agents cruise at the last minute featuring Cirque, and the grand opening of their new island.   (By the way They're STILL selling rooms for the cruise featuring Cirque and their new amazing island.) 

I was cruising when I received the email, and jumped on because I love MSC, and the island was the big grand finale to the cruise, complete with  grand opening celebration, parade, fireworks, etc.......   without those things, I never would have booked it.    

I got off a ship Saturday, so I could give a rats behind about another sea day, and I've been to Nassau 6 times.  I hadn't had a chance to even look at anything but the skeleton confirmation I received until yesterday.     So there ya go, and thank you for all of your expert advice and snarky comments.   

🙂

You got a dirt cheap cruise and 4 days of relaxation with no work and household chores. Be happy.

Edited by sfaaa

21 minutes ago, flaca0604 said:

I am currently booked on the Meraviglia departing on Nov. 17th.  I am not a travel agent, they had a great FL resident special running so why not.  It’s a little disappointing that we will miss Ocean Cay , but what’s upsetting (which I understand the OP’s frustration) is that even MSC knowing that Ocean Cay will not be “opened” until December 5th, the sailing for Nov 17th on their website still shows Ocean Cay as the port of destination!  I think that’s pretty deceptive. 😠

90053FCC-5EA4-47A0-881E-058F1381EBDC.png

Agree it should be updated, however; until they have locked down whether it is being substituted or will be an extra sea day, there is nothing to update it to! When the Cuba cruises couldn't go to Cuba anymore, it took about two weeks for the itineraries to start being updated online.  They could still be trying to nail down a replacement stop for this weekend, which is why it hasn't been updated yet.

It's true that the MSC website shows Ocean Cay as a port of call, even for sailings prior to the announced December 5 opening. My question is, what should they do about it? Just put "TBA"? That would look weird. And I suspect they DON'T know yet what port they will substitute, so I think that's why it's still on their website. I don't think it's deceptive, I think this is a case of they can't put on their website what they don't know.