Sail Away party - what's it like?

Out of Iowa

All these cruises and we've never been to the Sail Away party!  January might be my first time.  On the car radio this morning, I was listening to "Come Sail Away" by Styx.  Throw in some calypso and I'll be all set to go...

if the Sail Away deck party does not conflict with the Spa Tour/Raffle, I'll unpack later and attend with our accompany pair of Young Adults (who I anticipate will attend in any event). 

What should I expect?

• Like 1

In our experience, sail away parties are not what they used to be. When we first started cruising, we loved sail away on the open decks, but lately, they are not as fun.

Unless thing have changed since June don't expect "calypso" music, or Caribbean music, as it will be a DJ blaring his choice of dance music, which will likely be at twice the needed level and mostly rap and hip-hop music. (I am not opposed to either, but at the volume level they play it, it is not a fun place for us) The cruise director and staff will be trting to get people dancing, and they will have the obligatory line dances that lots of people will join.

I feel like they should have the steel drums, or a Caribbean Band playing, mostly to set the mood for the cruise. If I could change one thing about Carnival, it would be to eliminate the DJ's and bring back the Caribbean Bands and steel drums. They are moving a little in that direction so one can hope.

• Like 5

Most sail away parties are dance heavy, high energy. Think Wobble, cupid shuffle type dancing. 

From my experience, the crowd depends on the cruise port. I've sailed from Miami, Baltimore, New Orleans, and Los Angeles. Miami and New Orleans had a lot of people enjoying it, drinking and dancing, while Baltimore and LA were not as highly attended. Either way, it's a fun time! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisinpips said:

In our experience, sail away parties are not what they used to be. When we first started cruising, we loved sail away on the open decks, but lately, they are not as fun.

Unless thing have changed since June don't expect "calypso" music, or Caribbean music, as it will be a DJ blaring his choice of dance music, which will likely be at twice the needed level and mostly rap and hip-hop music. (I am not opposed to either, but at the volume level they play it, it is not a fun place for us) The cruise director and staff will be trting to get people dancing, and they will have the obligatory line dances that lots of people will join.

I feel like they should have the steel drums, or a Caribbean Band playing, mostly to set the mood for the cruise. If I could change one thing about Carnival, it would be to eliminate the DJ's and bring back the Caribbean Bands and steel drums. They are moving a little in that direction so one can hope.

If you want to enjoy the sail away in a less crowded and quieter location, skip the main pool Lido deck area and head to the Aft area of the Lido deck. Another area that's pretty quiet is the outside of the Lobby deck. 

I enjoy the line dances, so I think they're fun.  Everyone's in a good mood, excited about the fun week to come.  It means muster is over and the cruise can truly begin.  I know they're not for everyone, but you can always give it a try, and if you don't like it, go elsewhere. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, serene56 said:

Sail away happens when you are sailing away.   Depends on what time your sail away is.

Spa/ Raffle tour is usually around 5pm       (Our sail away on the Magic happens at 4pm

12 minutes ago, serene56 said:

Sail away happens when you are sailing away.   Depends on what time your sail away is.

Spa/ Raffle tour is usually around 5pm       (Our sail away on the Magic happens at 4pm

Sail away parties used to be fun when we started cruising 15 years ago. But lately they have been duds. DJ and line dancing dominates the deck. I to used to enjoy the Caribbean vibe to the deck party that’s faded away. Now I go out and watch sail away from an upper deck, taking photos, enjoying the scenery.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Out of Iowa said:

All these cruises and we've never been to the Sail Away party!  January might be my first time.  On the car radio this morning, I was listening to "Come Sail Away" by Styx.  Throw in some calypso and I'll be all set to go...

if the Sail Away deck party does not conflict with the Spa Tour/Raffle, I'll unpack later and attend with our accompany pair of Young Adults (who I anticipate will attend in any event). 

What should I expect?

Stick to the raffles. You're bound to win sometime.

Lottacruises,  I did win the raffle once!  I received a day's admission to the spa including the thallassotherapy pool and the tepidarium, where I discovered that I really, really, really like those heated-tile loungers.  Finished up in the relaxation room with lemon-infused water and chairs with footstools looking out to the sea....it was great enjoyment for me!

• Like 3

Am I 100% in love with the music you hear nowadays? No. However, it's pointless to continue discussing how things "aren't the way they used to be."

Once the Muster ends and we are sailing, there is something wrong with you if you aren't in a good mood. Everyday life has been put on pause. The party has started. People are drinking. Vacation is here. It's a great feeling

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, ray98 said:

I'm my own party.  All I need is a cold drink and a spot on the railing.  Everything else is overrated.

ray98, . Agree with you, everybody has fun his or her own way. I enjoy sail away watching the ship leave port with that cold drink. Not required to attend something that I don’t like anymore

• Like 4

3 hours ago, christyran1228 said:

I've *only* been on 5  cruises,  but the wildest sail away party was out of Puerto Rico ... when it didn't leave until 10pm.  Lol 🤪🍹🍹

Sailing from San Juan past the Castillo San Felipe del Morro fort at night is a special experience. It's a sight to behold and not to be missed.

• Like 3

I've never been a participator in the line dances or the activities on the Lido Deck by the pool.

I'm normally a deck or 2 above it.  I have a Fun Ship Special in hand.  It's a great feeling when the ship begins easing away from the pier and you start moving.  The Captain blows the whistle and I'm officially on vacation!

I love the Sail Away festivities, even if I don't participate.

• Like 3

The Carnival Legend is a great ship and that Class has the most available space per /for the passengers.

Sail Away is like life and love what you make of it.

Making a better sail away party invite your family/freiends and your roll call to it too.

I really miss the days past when we had Blue Grass bands playing too.

We love the Sail Away parties! Line dances and DJ pumping music! Sometimes I participate, sometimes I don't, but we always go. The CD makes a big difference in the energy levels of the crowd but Carnival has awesome CD's. We sailed on RC last NYE and the Sail Away party was dead and felt so weird! lol We are super active and love high energy and Carnival never disappoints in that area 🙂

I have to agree that I do miss the Caribbean bands and steel drums. Love Caribbean music as it really feels like you're on a cruise.

• Like 1

I like the sail away party.  Sometimes I'll join in the cupid shuffle or cha cha slide (not very good at either) and sometimes I just watch.  I also sometimes stand at the rail and enjoy watching the world being left behind and waving to people who are in boats or on the shore watching the ships leave port.

• Like 2

We Cruised the Fantasy last December (when the music was the usual line dance) and in April and it was steel drums for a week.  Guess it matters what ship you are on, but one of musicians played Steel Drums, and we had the Caribbean feel -it was great-hope he is back next June and October.

Sail away?, line dancing, people already drunk, we observe from the deck above for about 5 minutes. and then we find a quiet spot. to watch the last of land that we will see for a day or two. 

Sail away is a lot of fun, even if you're just going to watch from the higher decks as you pull away and head out of port.    Everyone is excited and happy, everyone is chatty and friendly and just enjoying the vacation vibe.  The cruise director gets everyone going.  Even if you don't think you can dance, or don't know the dance they're doing, don't hesitate to get down there and dance.   The majority doesn't really know what the heck they're doing (myself included) but no one cares, everyone is just out there having a great time smiling, singing along, and laughing.  It's really a lot of fun.  Same goes for the deck parties at night.

• Like 1