Should I expect less on a 5-day cruise?

Grandmaanne7

We have cruised Celebrity several times, mostly 14-day cruises.  We did a B2B once (7 days each) and found that the menus and entertainment were recycled in that it was almost identical the second week.  We didn't like that.

We have a 5-day booked as we couldn't resist the deal.  I understand that we won't have the Cruise Critic party and likely not a Captain's Club event or a lobster night.  Is there anything else that I should expect not to have?

3 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

We have cruised Celebrity several times, mostly 14-day cruises.  We did a B2B once (7 days each) and found that the menus and entertainment were recycled in that it was almost identical the second week.  We didn't like that.

We have a 5-day booked as we couldn't resist the deal.  I understand that we won't have the Cruise Critic party and likely not a Captain's Club event or a lobster night.  Is there anything else that I should expect not to have?

Why? 

I think that you should expect pretty much the same experience on a short cruise as a regular one.  Having said that I recently was on a B2B (14 days each) on Edge.    They did not have a CC party on either cruise.   I also took a 4 day cruise and they had both a CC Party and Lobster on one night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

It was an assumption on my part.  Am I wrong?

I was only curious as to where you read or heard it from. I know you will only have one evening chic night per Celebrity's published evening dress guidelines. 

Edited by davekathy

10 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I think that you should expect pretty much the same experience on a short cruise as a regular one.  Having said that I recently was on a B2B (14 days each) on Edge.    They did not have a CC party on either cruise.   I also took a 4 day cruise and they had both a CC Party and Lobster on one night.

Well, this is great to read!  Thank you!  I thought that they would lessen the experience on a shorter cruise, but now I am thinking perhaps not.  I truly doubt that there will be a CC party since the roll call is pretty much non existent.  This is not an issue for me even though I have thoroughly enjoyed most of the CC parties that I have attended.  The fun is getting to meet/know fellow CC members who have shared the excitement and planning leading up to the cruise.

1 hour ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

We were on a short cruise and the following cruise was a  private theme cruise.  Staff did spend a lot of time decorating the ship for the next cruise while we were on board.  A drop off in service was noted.  That would be my only concern.  We had a great time with a younger crowd.

5 minutes ago, keesar said:

We were on a short cruise and the following cruise was a  private theme cruise.  Staff did spend a lot of time decorating the ship for the next cruise while we were on board.  A drop off in service was noted.  That would be my only concern.  We had a great time with a younger crowd.

This is good information as the cruise before ours is chartered and the one after is a private theme cruise.  I hadn't considered that there would be a need to decorate.  It will be interesting to see how they decorate for the flower power cruise.  Hopefully the drop off in service won't be too noticeable.

13 minutes ago, Grandmaanne7 said:

This is good information as the cruise before ours is chartered and the one after is a private theme cruise.  I hadn't considered that there would be a need to decorate.  It will be interesting to see how they decorate for the flower power cruise.  Hopefully the drop off in service won't be too noticeable.

We had a movie themed cruise afterwards and it was interesting to see the decorations go up.  Quite a few staff members were involved in the decorating while we were on board.  The big thing we noted was the younger people on board drinking and the lack of many dressing up for dinner.  We still had a great time and even ran into our cruise planner from Celebrity.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

@Grandmaanne7, hi!  I hope you are doing well.

I presume that you are organizing the slot pull or is that another thing that will be missing on your sailing??

David

0098F6F8-71F6-459F-8273-D57DCCD76E4D.jpeg

Hi David,

I'm doing great, other than not cruising nearly as much as we had hoped now that we're retired.  I hope you and the family are doing well also.

No slot pull on this one I'm afraid.  Only 3 posts on our roll call and 2 of them are mine.  Only 21 views the last time I checked so not much interest at all.  I believe that I have been spoiled for all roll calls after the marvelous one you led on our last fabulous cruise.  Oh well, we'll be cruising with family so we'll focus on that for 5 days.  Hopefully, Celebrity will provide another cruise, albeit much shorter than we're used to.

Take care,

Anne

Took  one five day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity. it was nothing but a booze cruise.

Nothing like  my other Celebrity cruises of 11 , 12 or 15 days.

I will never do a short cruise again, no matter how cheap it is.

We got a AQ  room cheaper than a veranda.  Only saving grace was eating in Blue. 

On 11/27/2019 at 12:32 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I just tried to register for the CC party.  It was rejected as the cruise is less than 7 days.  Were you able to register online for the CC party?

We went on a 5 day Caribbean cruise as part of a b2b. It was pretty much a spring break booze cruise.

You ask if there is anything you should expect not to have? I would not expect to have the same quality of cruise you have had in the past and you should not expect the same demographic. Hopefully I am wrong! 😊

1 hour ago, lovecruzin said:

We went on a 5 day Caribbean cruise as part of a b2b. It was pretty much a spring break booze cruise.

You ask if there is anything you should expect not to have? I would not expect to have the same quality of cruise you have had in the past and you should not expect the same demographic. Hopefully I am wrong! 😊

My money is on you being right!

Smoking, drinking, and a younger demographic is what  we experienced.  But it is always fun to get away. 

On 11/27/2019 at 2:52 PM, Azulann said:

Took  one five day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity. it was nothing but a booze cruise.

Nothing like  my other Celebrity cruises of 11 , 12 or 15 days.

I will never do a short cruise again, no matter how cheap it is.

We got a AQ  room cheaper than a veranda.  Only saving grace was eating in Blue. 

I think that is how the cheaper cruises end up.  

We were getting a shuttle out of an Orlando hotel and some of the guests were on a short/cheap Carnival cruise.  Many were highly intoxicated before they got on the ship.  I was glad that I was not on their cruise.

Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

We had a charter cruise after ours and so many areas were made unavailable to us as they did all the maintenance before the charter. As the charter provides their own alcohol then they ran out of supplies on our cruise. The female toilets were rebadged as non gender while we were onboard towards the end of our cruise. Never again. 

16 minutes ago, Pushka said:

We had a charter cruise after ours and so many areas were made unavailable to us as they did all the maintenance before the charter. As the charter provides their own alcohol then they ran out of supplies on our cruise. The female toilets were rebadged as non gender while we were onboard towards the end of our cruise. Never again. 

LOL!

This is why I love Cruise Critic!  You find out all of the details behind the scenes!

So which toilet did you use?😀

You can't make this craziness up.

Some get mad when people complain.  But I sincerely appreciate the information whether it is good or bad.  It helps me make a decision on the best cruise to book.  I love Cruise Critic and the reviews!

Edited by NMTraveller

5 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

LOL!

This is why I love Cruise Critic!  You find out all of the details behind the scenes!

So which toilet did you use?😀

You can't make this craziness up.

Some get mad when people complain.  But I sincerely appreciate the information whether it is good or bad.  It helps me make a decision on the best cruise to book.  I love Cruise Critic and the reviews!

😁. I used the bathrooms I knew were previously female, and I’m 

gathering were in minute numbers for the next cruise. Atlantis from memory. 

Edited by Pushka

We did close to 30 cruises, most on Royal and Celebrity. All but two cruises were longer cruises. The only short cruise on Celebrity Constellation was OK but still different to the longer ones.

The only short cruise we did on Royal was an experience to say the least. It was very boozy, the dress code was non existing (hoodies and caps on Christmas‘ formal night)... had this been our first cruise, it would have probably been our last.

We definitely prefer the longer, non caribbean cruises. But I guess a short cruise can be fun. Just don’t expect too much.

We avoid short cruises, especially in the Caribbean.  Why?  As somebody already posted, they become "booze cruises" and tend to attract a younger crowd who want to party from the beginning to the end.  While this suits some folks it is just not our style.

Hank

I’d probably do it again if I could get a suite, but they go fast.

Our first X cruise was five days booked last minute for my husband’s birthday on Century ...and I had such a negative first impression, we almost cancelled the Eclipse maiden transatlantic already booked for later the same year.

Lots of boozing it up and a different demographic on short cruises  - I still smile remembering the two young women who were stumbling around the breakfast buffet in their skimpy pajamas. Sort of startling at the time for a couple of old HAL cruisers like us.

What added to the negative, truth be told, was that it was the week X was introducing “Celebrity Select” flexible dining on Century.  Total chaos in the reservation situation and dining room, with annoyed waiters slamming those Century MDR wall cabinets, plates or silverware missing, poorly cooked & presented food, no wine stewards anywhere - big mess. I think the waiters thought their tips were going to dry up.

We retreated to Murano instead and had such a fabulous experience there we ended up becoming X regulars.

• Like 1