LBGT

Hallie8696294

Oceania seems neither helpful nor friendly to the LBGT community after you book a cruise. 

Up until them they'll gush all over you, Once you book replies to questions are few and far between other then "oh yes we are supportive." 

If u are LBGT you might want to think twice!!!!!!

• Haha 1

In 15 O cruises  I have always seen many LBGT cruisers on board.  I personally know a few LGBT couples who are repeat O cruisers.  Not sure you can prejudge the experience on the basis of a conversation with a phone rep.  That rep may never have been on an O cruise.

• Like 3

Not sure what you are concerned about.  Have met lots of same sex couples on ship. Some events in daily news letter, and like the line itself all things are well done.  No enormous parties, but that is true of all events on ship.

• Like 3

So, does that mean you should get BETTER service than others?  Or are you just disappointed in the service you've received like everyone else?  Lots of businesses promise the world to get the sale and then you are just another number -- regardless of any "special" status.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Noxequifans said:

The information provided by the OP needs more clarification. What were the questions that were not adequately answered. We’re they made to a travel agent or O directly. 

And why would sexual orientation even come up in a conversation usually aimed at trying to figure out "O Life w/wo air credit," particularly on a cruise line known for its inclusivity?

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

And why would sexual orientation even come up in a conversation usually aimed at trying to figure out "O Life w/wo air credit," particularly on a cruise line known for its inclusivity?

Good question. I'd like to know, especially in a phone call, how anyone makes such assumptions?

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

So, does that mean you should get BETTER service than others?  Or are you just disappointed in the service you've received like everyone else?  Lots of businesses promise the world to get the sale and then you are just another number -- regardless of any "special" status.

Should not be any special status for anyone except maybe your Oceania Club most frequent cruisers. 

• Like 6

I'm afraid the OP maybe a one shot wonder with 5 posts.  Like a lot of the media conversations with assassinations and accusatory talk is easy with no consequence.  Unless the OP opens up, it's vapor.

I have met many LBGT couples on our Oceania cruises who are treated the same as everyone else. In fact we have had mutual excursion trips with same that were some of the best trips ever.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, floridatravelersforlife said:

I'm afraid the OP maybe a one shot wonder with 5 posts.  Like a lot of the media conversations with assassinations and accusatory talk is easy with no consequence.  Unless the OP opens up, it's vapor.

I have met many LBGT couples on our Oceania cruises who are treated the same as everyone else. In fact we have had mutual excursion trips with same that were some of the best trips ever.

I guess we have met some, but who cares.  Nice people are nice people no matter what their sexual preference is.  Sometimes it is good to see the other side of things that we do not see in our daily lives. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Perhaps the post was nothing more than a "rant and run" but I'm confident that any question from those persons new to Oceania would be answered here.

Looks like they are on your cruise  so maybe you will meet them 

Hey [fill in the blank competitor name to O]--is this you asking? :^)  And not posting the all important questions that have not been adequately answered makes no sense unless this is a hit and run post.

All kidding aside, there are many same sex repeat cruisers on O we've met, so I think this is most likely a non-issue for anyone that is genuinely concerned. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TOLISTravellers said:

Hey [fill in the blank competitor name to O]--is this you asking? :^)  And not posting the all important questions that have not been adequately answered makes no sense unless this is a hit and run post.

All kidding aside, there are many same sex repeat cruisers on O we've met, so I think this is most likely a non-issue for anyone that is genuinely concerned. 

+ 1

I really have no clue why this is an issue for discussion here.  I have never been on a cruise where one's sexual orientation has ever come up when meeting others.  I don't care (judge) about other's personal preferences are (note: personal) and they should not care (judge) about mine.  We have been on many cruises that pairs of people could be brothers/sisters/lovers, who cares.  The cruise line doesn't care about anything other than the authorization of your credit card and that you are happy enough to book again.  Book/Cruise/Enjoy/Repeat

• Like 11

Trust me, none of “us” are going to think twice about cruising on Oceania because of this post 😊. We have only been on Oceania twice but have never been treated differently, nor do we want or expect to be. All of the crew were helpful and friendly. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 1

I really appreciate all the speculation as to my motives and what was behind my statement. I'll try responding to all of u in this post. 

1. Where did it say I wanted or expected more rights then others? But if u read that into it, go for it. But try looking at it this way, why should anyone expect or receive less then others. 

2. Rant and run? Good one but some of us actually have day jobs and lives that might make constant monitoring a website difficult at best foolish at worse. 

3. For those of u REALLY in the LBGT community, it doesn't after the G, there is a T there that implies some of us are trans, in which the way we present might not match a passport picture. Transitioning, M2F or F2M, unlike my gay and lesbian friends takes a little longer, might be legally more complicated just to name a few problems.

4. I too have met or seen so many same sex couples and its great!!!! But how many of you blogging philosophers, have met a couple of which one is in the middle of transitioning????

5. So when a trans person, who is spending lots and lots of money on a 35 day cruise asks the company questions regarding their travel on said cruise line I'd  think or hope every one of you just might not be so cavalier when someone reports a rather cold reception to their question. Basically they couldn't be bothered.

So for those of you who still can figure out what my motivation was, well I am a trans Woman and no one at Oceania cares to even try to answer my questions!!!! 

Does that pass your motivation test?

Paulchili, thanks for ur kind concern. I didnt mean to go off like that but .....

My concerns were primarily getting the passenger picture id card, used to charge things, for getting off and back on the ship, with me as how I will present on the ship. I don't want my wife or I embarrassed everytime we get on or off. Or if I buy a drink. So my question to the rep was simple who could I talk to about this issue or how does Oceania handle it. 

I know how Viking does but I'm on Oceania. Anyway I was told they couldn't help me I had to check with each country. I had already done that but my concern was on the boat and getting on and off. I was told they couldn't help. 

Thus my posting. 

There is NO picture on the ship ID card.  The only picture is the one that appears on a computer screen as you check in/out to make sure no one else is using your card --a security concern and nothing else.  That picture is only seen by the person you hand your card to.

I've been on cruises where a person is transitioning or has and I did not hear of a single comment from staff or crew.   Fellow passengers pretty much are living/cruising in their own bubble and often have their own situations they're dealing with.

Go and enjoy the cruise with your sweetie.

Edited by cbb
  • Like 5

When you are embarking they take a picture. As Cbb said, it is that photo they reference on their screen when scan on/off the ship and when you go to restaurants on board so they recognize you and can call you by name when you are there etc. on board you should have no problem. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

Forgive me for not having the time to go back to the first comments but just WHO did you contact at Oceania?  If it was the standard 800 number I'm not surprised that the person on the other end of the line couldn't help you.  Many of them have never been on board.  If you contacted someone higher up at Oceania or your own TA, then they certainly should have been able to help you.  I can understand how this experience could sour your impression before ever boarding.

I also agree that the photo taken when you embark is the one the crew member sees on the computer screen so there shouldn't be any problem with not being recognized as YOU.

• Like 1

Hallie - I hope that the above posts answered your concerns and as noted, you will have no issues with this.

Whatever picture of you is taken at check in that is the picture that will appear on the security person's screen (privately) to make sure that you are the one using your card (which has no picture on it).

Enjoy your cruise 🙂

• Like 1