Dealing with insurance co.

Hope someone can give me guidance how to deal with insurance company after we needed to cancel our cruise in Feb.

we were to be in the Royal suite on Grandeur on Feb. 8th for a 12 day cruise.  I have had a few medical problems lately & we decided that we needed to cancel.  I found out that Royal is only giving us back 50% of the over $10,000 that we paid for the suite.  We have insurance, however, we're not sure if they consider this an pre exsisting medical problem.  Got shingles while on our 7 day out of BALTIMORE WHEN WE SAT IN THE CHESAPEAKE BAY for 2 days.  Has anyone experienced anything like this before?  My doctor has agreed to write a letter, but not sure if this (shingles) is considered a pre existing condition.  

Sorry for rambling, really upset, that Royal would do this.  PS:  Suite has been sold.

o

Look at your documents.  There should be contact info for insurance carrier.   What Royal gave you is based on their terms and insurance carrier will pay difference.  I don't know about pre-existing condition issue. 

Have to look at the terms of your insurance contract.  They would define pre-existing condition there.

Typically pre-existing condition is one that you had at the time you booked the cruise and took insurance - so if the Shingles came after that, that would likely not be considered pre-existing.

That said, I am not sure the insurance company will buy someone saying they have shingles in early December as a reason to cancel a cruise in February.  The question is whether the medical condition will be resolved by the time of the cruise or not

• Like 1

Royal will give you back what you're entitled to during the cancellation period. Insurance should cover the rest if it's an allowed event.  We cancelled less than 60 days out from our Nov b2b cruise just a couple of months ago and got 25% from Royal and filed for the rest from the insurance we bought through Royal.  We got reimbursed in less than 30 days from filing.  I have an entire thread.  If you bought through Royal, then even if it's a non-covered issue, you should get a 75% future cruise credit for the uncovered portion from Royal.  If it's private insurance, it depends.   In my situation I had broken my ankle and wasn't allowed to travel by my Orthopedic surgeon.

Here's the thread I started: 

Edited by BND

On top of everything else, you have 2 separate issues going on.

You cancelled with Royal. They did their part and refunded you in accordance with their terms and conditions of the cancellation policy

Next comes the fun part. You have to file a claim with the insurance company. Royal may have sold you the policy but they have nothing to do with claims. It's the actual insurance company you have to deal with for the rest.

Nobody on this board can answer how the insurance company will treat your claim. You have to file, then they have to investigate, which means you will have to turn over access to your medical files and charts.

Another consideration is that your doctor has to do more than write a letter.  The insurance company will provide a form for the doctor to complete, and the doctor will need to state that because of your medical condition, you are unable to travel on the dates of the cruise, and the specific reason why you can’t travel.  To me it seems quite early for a doctor to state you can’t travel in February because of having shingles now.  You have two months to recover.  Anyway, no one can really tell you how to proceed, but you need to contact the insurance company right away.

Your post is not clear. Did you first get shingles before you purchased the insurance and this is ongoing? Then it is pre-existing. Did you purchase insurance, then go on the other cruise where you got shingles? Then it's not pre-existing. 

Also it is not clear whether the doctor said you couldn't travel and then you cancelled, or you weren't feeling your best, you cancelled, and now you want the doctor to say you are unable to travel. That's all a bit muddy. 

I agree that you need to straighten things out with your insurance company. Royal has paid their share according to their cancellation penalty schedule.

Some insurance plans will cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase the insurance within a certain no of days (typically 21) after your initial deposit. 

I had to cancel a cruise once for medical reasons and as others stated, my dr had to fill out forms provided by the insurance co. The insurance rep did tell me that they usually approve claims if there is a valid medical reason as provided by the dr. 

Of course, every case is different but I had no problems with my claim 

20 hours ago, Maverick61 said:

That said, I am not sure the insurance company will buy someone saying they have shingles in early December as a reason to cancel a cruise in February.  The question is whether the medical condition will be resolved by the time of the cruise or not

It seems you have not had shingles or been close to someone who has.

It is NOT a short term deal.  And can give the person all sorts of issues that would make traveling ill advised.

18 hours ago, lovescats5 said:

Don't know why you would cancel because of shingles.  My husband had a case and was cleared up and good to go after taking prescribed pills.  It did not affect anything he did.  Hope you get the resolution you are asking for.

He is lucky.

I know people that have had issues for well over a year.

On 12/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, aftermidnight said:

Hope someone can give me guidance how to deal with insurance company after we needed to cancel our cruise in Feb.

we were to be in the Royal suite on Grandeur on Feb. 8th for a 12 day cruise.  I have had a few medical problems lately & we decided that we needed to cancel.  I found out that Royal is only giving us back 50% of the over $10,000 that we paid for the suite.  We have insurance, however, we're not sure if they consider this an pre exsisting medical problem.  Got shingles while on our 7 day out of BALTIMORE WHEN WE SAT IN THE CHESAPEAKE BAY for 2 days.  Has anyone experienced anything like this before?  My doctor has agreed to write a letter, but not sure if this (shingles) is considered a pre existing condition.  

Sorry for rambling, really upset, that Royal would do this.  PS:  Suite has been sold.

o

When my wife was out for a knee replacement Royal allowed us to MOVE it to another date without any loss.  if you booked Non-refundeable might have to pay $100 fee

10 minutes ago, KittenDad said:

When my wife was out for a knee replacement Royal allowed us to MOVE it to another date without any loss.  if you booked Non-refundeable might have to pay $100 fee

Past final payment due date?  That's very unusual and not RCI policy.  

OP, you haven't said who you're insured through. That would make a difference.  A pre-exisiting condition is spelled out in all policies very specifically but the "lookback" period can differ. Also, as others have said, you certainly cancelled early. You seem upset with Royal Caribbean, but it seems you haven't filed an insurance claim.  So you seem a bit premature in being upset.  And it's irrelevant that the suite sold.  The cancellation policy is very easy to find and is very clear and specific.  You need to file a claim and see what the insurance company says. You may have upset yourself over nothing.  Hope you get well soon. 

4 minutes ago, twangster said:

Past final payment due date?  That's very unusual and not RCI policy.  

YES, this was past final payment from a cruise last May.  We are on the Liberty NOW from where the let us MOVE to without any loss

I also agree that canceling now because of shingles may cause a few problems trying to get the insurance company to pay.  I've had shingles twice and, I guess for me, lucky that I haven't had any problems after taking the meds for a week or so.

How do you know you are going to have problems in the future?  I am probably wrong, but it appears to me that you don't want to cruise in Feb and are using the shingles as a reason for canceling the cruise.  If I am wrong in this, I apologize, but that's what I got out of your original post.

I have no idea why you feel Royal Caribbean is doing anything wrong as there is a cancellation policy and it is posted on their website.  I don't think the fact you had a suite booked does or should make a difference in how much of the cruise is refunded as far as the percentage is concerned.

As others posted, you will need to contact the insurance company, but I would not be surprised if they rejected your claim.  I do think waiting longer might have been beneficial, if in fact, the shingles do cause problems for you where you couldn't cruise.  Not all cases of shingles have lingering problems.  I do hope that will be the case for you as it has been for me.

Singles cases are unpredictable, severity varies from person to person.  Some of you shared experiences wherein the recovery was quick.  My grandmother had her bout 12-14 years ago, she's still suffering from the nerve damage it caused.  Pain every day, all day.  It's miserable for her.  And she didn't even get it internally, some people do.  So yeah, in two months this person may not be able to travel.

That said -- there's no way to predict how quickly or completely a person will recover.  I agree with others, it's too early to cancel for this reason and my bet is, a claims dept will say the same.  Closer to sail date, your doctor will need to determine whether or not you are well enough to travel.

Except the gentleman already fouled that part up, because they have already cancelled the cruise. If you have cruise line insurance, you have cancelled for a non-covered reason. You will receive cash back according to the cancellation policy. I think that you indicated you are receiving 50% back because you are in the penalty phase. You will also receive a refund of taxes & fees/gratuities/pre-booked stuff. 

IF you have cruise line insurance, you will then receive a future cruise credit which will be 75% of the non refunded part (the other 50%) of your cruise fare. It will be less than you probably think it should be. Had you cancelled for a covered reason, and depending on whether your doctor is willing to state "unable to travel in February"...you would receive the other 50% as cash reimbursement from the insurance company. 

You didn't mention whether your insurance was with the cruise line or not. 

@katiel53

Funny you should mention that. I was kind of hoping shingles was a once and done. I had them a few years ago, on my face, and in my ear and in my mouth. On a cruise. Worst cruise ever and lost 3 days in the cabin. And just a day ago or so ago, I had suspicious symptoms on my waist. I am hoping that at least the possible second round was not as horrible as the first time. 

Edited by Coralc

21 minutes ago, Coralc said:

@katiel53

Funny you should mention that. I was kind of hoping shingles was a once and done. I had them a few years ago, on my face, and in my ear and in my mouth. On a cruise. Worst cruise ever and lost 3 days in the cabin. And just a day ago or so ago, I had suspicious symptoms on my waist. I am hoping that at least the possible second round was not as horrible as the first time. 

See a doctor right away. If in fact you do have shingles there is a medication you can take to lessen the severity BUT it has to be taken early. I am sorry but I am drawing a blank on the name of the medicine.

1 hour ago, Coralc said:

Except the gentleman already fouled that part up, because they have already cancelled the cruise.

Yep, sorry.  I lost sight of that detail in the conversation.

46 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Thanks! It is Acyclovir. I took it the first time. But I am kind of in denial, I thought it was a once thing. I will go to urgent care tomorrow if it progresses. Sorry for off topic. 

Unfortunately, it's not always a one-occurrence thing.  I hope you don't have it again, but if so, glad you're on to it early.  Good reminder to those who are eligible (or at risk), get your vaccination.  It doesn't always prevent, but can significantly lessen the severity.

On 12/6/2019 at 12:53 PM, SRF said:

It seems you have not had shingles or been close to someone who has.

It is NOT a short term deal.  And can give the person all sorts of issues that would make traveling ill advised.

Actually my mother has had shingles.  Still has an occasional outbreak.

But that is all irrelevant.

You did not comprehend what I wrote.  Here is what I said:

"That said, I am not sure the insurance company will buy someone saying they have shingles in early December as a reason to cancel a cruise in February. "

And that is 100% accurate.  It is early to cancel a cruise in February based on getting shingles in early December.  Now if the person still is or will be affected by this in February, that is a different story.  But you can't have an illness in early December and just assume you will not be able to travel in February.  That is simply not how it works.  There needs to be certainty.  I just don't see that with shingles.  Something else like a major operation that the doctor can certify needs 3 months of rehab, sure.  But not something like shingles which could resolve quickly or could last longer.  No reputable doctor can sign off with certainty in early December that the shingles will be ongoing in February.  And I will bet that is what the insurance company says.

The OP needed to wait til close to February and if the condition was still ongoing, then make the case to the insurance company.  But since they cancelled the cruise already, they may have screwed themselves

Edited by Maverick61