Mega Ship Era over? Will Royal build smaller ships again?

On 12/3/2019 at 8:01 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

I haven’t seen any yet something tells me it will be a modified Oasis class with LNG for fuel.  

The size is now very very similar and there was a comment on Twitter by Nick Weir suggesting that Icon class would have an Aquatheatre. 

Sounds like you may be right. I'm very interested in what Royal comes up with this new class.

11 hours ago, The Fun Researcher said:

At some point there will be no choice when all that’s left are the mega ships.  It doesn’t necessarily mean that they are catering to the vast majority.  Their profitability is balanced into the equation heavily.

Dan

Irony is the Sovereign(Majesty) was called the first Mega Ship...

On 12/3/2019 at 8:06 PM, James4me said:

I’d love to see a smaller ship with plenty of ocean view windows wherever you are inside looking out to the sea.  Enough of walls of restaurants and useless shopping venues. I want to see the ocean while on the ocean.

Agree. Been Cruising Royal over 30yrs, have 75nites currently booked on Radiance and Vision Class. As built Vision Class had tons Glass compared other Cruise ship's, before Cabins added blocks some. Radiance Class was designed to use best of Voyager & Vision. Like see the Sea where ever I'm on the Ship... Will be sad day when these ships are gone...

• Like 2

On 12/3/2019 at 8:33 PM, twangster said:

Wait for the details.  A ship that is 140k GT carrying the number of passengers that a ship 169k GT carries today won’t be much fun.  

Carnival’s latest ships in the whale tail division are marginally larger than the previous generation.  Yet they have hundred of more guests.  

Perhaps this is a sign that NCL simply doesn’t plan to try to take on mega ships.  That’s doesn’t mean the era is over, they are simply trying to find a niche they can make money in.  

Current specs I've seen is they're a little over 1000 less than the -Away class. I think they might have a bit more tons per passenger but no idea if that means anything lol. 

I have absolutely no doubt that Icon class will be about one thing and one thing alone

Splitting premium paying guests from the rest

It will be another of those ship within a ship projects

Sure, it will be green and woke and modern and all that jazz. It will look modern like the Quantum class. It will be able to visit all existing ports. It might have some innovations like the pointless robot bar. But most of all, it will be about giving suite guests a completely different experience from steerage (balconies and below)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Tendering Quantum class is pretty tough and Oasis class doesn't do it - it has yet to be seen if Icon class will visit tender ports.

So, I said it was about one thing and you managed to pick out a largely irrelevant aside I mentioned

😂😂😂

I have my own selfish reasons for hoping for smaller ships. Baltimore is so easy to get to and it sails full constantly. With the selling of grandeur I have to assume that Enchantment isn't far behind. What is left that will fit under key bridge? Majesty?

Better yet a new port down below the bridge...

1 hour ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

I have my own selfish reasons for hoping for smaller ships. Baltimore is so easy to get to and it sails full constantly. With the selling of grandeur I have to assume that Enchantment isn't far behind. What is left that will fit under key bridge? Majesty?

Better yet a new port down below the bridge...

I wonder if there is a point that developing a new port and terminal becomes economically beneficial.  If an area can support a mega ship homeport, but has a limitation of a bridge why not make the long term investment to allow for it.  

2 hours ago, Cru1s1ng2009 said:

With the selling of grandeur I have to assume that Enchantment isn't far behind. What is left that will fit under key bridge? Majesty?

Radiance class will fit. Key Bridge is higher than the Sunshine Skyway Bridge in Tampa by 5 or 6 feet, and those ships get in and out of Tampa with no issue (fog not included).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgramling said:

I wonder if there is a point that developing a new port and terminal becomes economically beneficial.  If an area can support a mega ship homeport, but has a limitation of a bridge why not make the long term investment to allow for it.  

I approve of this plan. Royal, please see to it immediately!  😂

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Just look at them, they do not have tender boats.

I don't know of any RC ships that have tender boats.  Lifeboats sure, but not boats dedicated to tendering.

I believe the issue with Oasis tendering is the huge number of passengers and how long it would take to get them all off and back on again.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I don't know of any RC ships that have tender boats.  Lifeboats sure, but not boats dedicated to tendering.

I believe the issue with Oasis tendering is the huge number of passengers and how long it would take to get them all off and back on again.

Of course. So called tender boats are those who have a superstructure with windows. Lifeboats are the simple more flat ones.

But after checking some pictures I see that Allure and Oasis indeed have tender boats and Harmony and Symphony just life boats. The classic ships like Radiance class have the usual mix with 4 or 6 tenders and the rest life boats.

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 7:21 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Makes be think those old Popular Science Mags from 60's 70's. Read them now and see what came to life...and not.

So true.  I was telling my nieces, ages 14 and 9, about all of the "futuristic" things that you used to see at the end of Space Mountain at Disney World.  I can remember thinking "What if those things ever really come into being?" They were things like robot vacuums, doorbell with video so you could see on your TV or computer (or even your phone) who was at your front door, small computers you could put in your lap or carry in a purse or satchel, phones you could use in your car.  LOL
My youngest niece couldn't even believe such a time ever existed.    The older one does vaguely remember a time when video doorbell systems weren't in "every home."   It's amazing that just with 5 years between them, the older one knows of technology that was just beginning when the youngest was born.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:06 PM, James4me said:

I’d love to see a smaller ship with plenty of ocean view windows wherever you are inside looking out to the sea.  Enough of walls of restaurants and useless shopping venues. I want to see the ocean while on the ocean.

I would even be happy with a large ship with a few more windows so you could see the ocean while sailing.  I like cruising, not floating in a mall.  LOL

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Host Clarea said:

Most Royal Ships carried 3-4 of the Tender Boats 20-30+ yrs ago. Ships used these on Labadee, Grand Caymen and even St Thomas and St Marteen. St Marteen, Labadee didnt even have a Pier. Many these places either didnt have Port Tenders as do now, or used both. First time Labadee stop had no Island Tenders. At St Thomas 7 ships in Port with only 3 Pier slots, others had Tender. Was a first come race, Capt said sped up and was hoping didnt have Tender if we beat other ships

Edited by ONECRUISER

39 minutes ago, Saab4444 said:

Of course. So called tender boats are those who have a superstructure with windows. Lifeboats are the simple more flat ones.

I suppose strictly speaking Oasis and Allure have "tender boats" based on the structural components you mention, but those are not used for tendering.  
If "tender boats" is used as a term for function/task, as I believe most people are using it, then I know of no Oasis class ships, nor any other RC ships, have "tender boats."

On 12/3/2019 at 8:33 PM, twangster said:

Wait for the details.  A ship that is 140k GT carrying the number of passengers that a ship 169k GT carries today won’t be much fun.  

Carnival’s latest ships in the whale tail division are marginally larger than the previous generation.  Yet they have hundred of more guests.  

Perhaps this is a sign that NCL simply doesn’t plan to try to take on mega ships.  That’s doesn’t mean the era is over, they are simply trying to find a niche they can make money in.  

Back 20-30yrs ago one of main selling point on Cruise Ships was Public Square Feet per passenger. In 80's was like 20's, 90s in the 30's was great like Sovereign/Vision. Voyager came out now just over 20yrs ago as largest Cruise ship in World, carrying most passengers but was also 44 sq ft Public Space per passenger. This was topics on Cruise Critic when I joined 22yrs ago. Well that and Voyager had Chops and JR as pay Restaurants. Wish the CC Historic Posts went back to late 90's