Jane McDonald’s Cruising Down Under programme starts on SBS on 16 Dec

13 minutes ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

The show was a light bit of fluff - but a whole lot better than anything else that is on TV right now.  I'm a little bit over watching Friends and 2 and a Half Men reruns...

Totally agree, a bit of light entertainment for us cruise addicts, with not much else to watch on ye olde 'gogglebox.'  At that time anyway.  If I have to watch anymore nightly NCIS I will scream.  Are we the only people in OZ with only one TV in the house? 😮

She lost credibility with me after first stating she'd worked on cruise ships in the past, then fakely bumbling around the atrium of Sun Princess pretending she couldn't find her way around. Then stating all the restaurants were forward. No, on that ship the MDRs are mid-aft. Only the buffet is forward.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

I did say she was “quirky” - you were warned 

This is not a Mighty Ships type doc - although they can be pretty useless sometimes too 

The style was pretty much like her other series episodes - flighty and fast moving - I think we will get more onboard time now she’s boarded

We have to remember it’s a made for UK TV show - it’s like I found out years ago - never take a tour in Australia - the BS the guides spin to the overseas guests is generally cringeworthy 

3 hours ago, lissie said:

I've seen her earlier series which inc a European river cruise.

I'd been trying to recall where I had seen her before and that was where. I enjoyed that presentation and I also enjoyed the current sojourn.

I like seeing different perspectives on things and how other people see the world. It may have gone down poorly with some purists but "vive la difference".

3 hours ago, Mr&MrsCookie said:

The show was a light bit of fluff - but a whole lot better than anything else that is on TV right now.  I'm a little bit over watching Friends and 2 and a Half Men reruns...

It's "non-rating season" now which is why all the first runs and prime series are off-air. So the fact it's just started being aired now shows it is in the 'filler' category.

3 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

I did say she was “quirky” - you were warned 

This is not a Mighty Ships type doc - although they can be pretty useless sometimes too 

The style was pretty much like her other series episodes - flighty and fast moving - I think we will get more onboard time now she’s boarded

We have to remember it’s a made for UK TV show - it’s like I found out years ago - never take a tour in Australia - the BS the guides spin to the overseas guests is generally cringeworthy 

I saw her earlier episodes to Baltics, River Cruising etc.   I quite like young Jane, a laugh a minute, the lass from Blackpool.  As for Mighty Ships, some of the shows are good, but that female American narrator annoys me sometimes.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

Sometimes the drama in 'Mighty Ships' and especially in 'Mighty cruise ships' seems totally fabricated. 

i.e, "we need a special fish for tonight's banquet, OMG, where will we get one at short notice",

lucky this port has a place that sells fish.😋

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Sometimes the drama in 'Mighty Ships' and especially in 'Mighty cruise ships' seems totally fabricated. 

i.e, "we need a special fish for tonight's banquet, OMG, where will we get one at short notice",

Yes seen that on the aforementioned episodes, the Executive Chef and the F&B Manager, get off the ship and head to town, coming back with half a dozen fish for 600 pax, oh yeah? More like the fresh fish is for the Captain, senior officers and ship management.  The pax might get the fish heads in their sea food chowder.😮 

Like on the big ships you see the ships officers in the speciality eateries, i.e. Crown Grill etc, not in the run of the mill MDR.  I wonder why?

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

On a HAL cruise Sydney/Singapore a few years back, where Darwin was our last Oz port, we were told by the head chef, an Aussie, that there would be fresh fish on the menu. And there was. The chefs actually did go into Darwin fish markets and did a big buy. Best fish we'd ever had on a cruise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

On a HAL cruise Sydney/Singapore a few years back, where Darwin was our last Oz port, we were told by the head chef, an Aussie, that there would be fresh fish on the menu. And there was. The chefs actually did go into Darwin fish markets and did a big buy. Best fish we'd ever had on a cruise.

Don't get me wrong, I am sure they would do it. My point was, the amount of drama the show made out it was when in reality, they would likely do it often and in many ports, maybe even have a standing order for whenever they dock there.

9 hours ago, RosieCanberra said:

I like her, she makes me laugh. And her shows are made for the UK audience, always a bit of 'nudge, nudge, wink, wink' thrown in. 

I agree....I saw the show last night and her last series and don't mind her and enjoyed the shows. But I suppose any program that involves a cruise ship gets me in! 

11 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

She lost credibility with me after first stating she'd worked on cruise ships in the past, then fakely bumbling around the atrium of Sun Princess pretending she couldn't find her way around. Then stating all the restaurants were forward. No, on that ship the MDRs are mid-aft. Only the buffet is forward.

To be fair she did say she worked on ships in her twenties so that would have been decades ago. A lot might have changed since then. 

8 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

"Sometimes"...?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, possum52 said:

She is a British singer and songwriter and TV presenter. Google will tell you more. 

Leigh

Not forgetting by her own admission she was a singer on the cruise ships a few 'decades ago.'   She never lets you forget that bit.🤩

Still and all she is a laugh and entertaining in my opinion.  She should cruise with Princess and join up with the Princess Pop Choir (passenger choir.)  I would do a duet with her.1332204061_Santa-dance1_www.free-avatars.com(1).gif.9370a3df28e60095ff2443f5565d6079.gif

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2019 at 9:48 AM, OzKiwiJJ said:

When I boarded MSC Divina for the first time it took me a while to get oriented and work out what was for'd or aft from the main atrium with no external reference points. Yep, I was "bumbling".