Celebrity offering late check out on disembarkation day

wesport

I'm going to say that I don't care for the idea, and here is why:

Let's suppose 10% of the passengers opt for this late disembark.  That means around 200 extra bodies in the public area's to those embarking for their cruise.  That means increased people in the lido buffett...taking up space around the pool...in the bars...etc.

I get the argument for those that have late flights and understand the reasoning.  When I embark, I don't want to have to deal with the extra bodies taking up space to begin my cruise.  I hope some alternative is found in all honesty, because I just don't care for the idea, and will avoid those cruise lines for as long as I can that institute this practice.

Edited by CruisingAndDiving
  • Like 1

On those occasions when we have boarded early we typically go straight up to the pool area (if the weather is good).  Our experience is that it is not very crowded at all.  Cannot speak for the MDR since we tend to avoid it 

I really do do not see any purpose in getting excited about this, one way or the other, until  the details are known.  Could be a winner, could be a flop.  One thing for certain....if this proves to be popular and profitable other cruise lines will follow. 

Edited by iancal

On 12/24/2019 at 5:58 PM, iancal said:

On those occasions when we have boarded early we typically go straight up to the pool area (if the weather is good).  Our experience is that it is not very crowded at all.  Cannot speak for the MDR since we tend to avoid it 

I really do do not see any purpose in getting excited about this, one way or the other, until  the details are known.  Could be a winner, could be a flop.  One thing for certain....if this proves to be popular and profitable other cruise lines will follow. 

In our experience, the Lido is the "zoo like" area at boarding time, along with the elevator lobbies.  The MDR is not busy, nor is the pool area.

As for "any purpose in getting excited" -- c'mon now 😉 this is the internet.  That's what people do on the internet 😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

In our experience, the Lido is the "zoo like" area at boarding time, along with the elevator lobbies.  The MDR is not busy, nor is the pool area.

As for "any purpose in getting excited" -- c'mon now 😉 this is the internet.  That's what people do on the internet 😉

Zoo is great description of the Lido on embarkation day. 🐖🦌🐘🐪🦓

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Roz said:

Zoo is great description of the Lido on embarkation day. 🐖🦌🐘🐪🦓

It's better now that you can drop your carry-ons in your room before heading there, but it's still bad. Too many people wandering around trying to figure out what's where. I go to the Lido for lunch most days but not on embarkation day. If HAL ever stops the embarkation lunch in the MDR, I'll be packing a picnic lunch to eat on my balcony.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

It's better now that you can drop your carry-ons in your room before heading there, but it's still bad. Too many people wandering around trying to figure out what's where. I go to the Lido for lunch most days but not on embarkation day. If HAL ever stops the embarkation lunch in the MDR, I'll be packing a picnic lunch to eat on my balcony.

Has Celebrity finally started to allow that.  Last time I sailed with them there was no cabin access till mid-afternoon.

Roy 

3 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Has Celebrity finally started to allow that.  Last time I sailed with them there was no cabin access till mid-afternoon.

Roy 

I don't know about Celebrity's cabin access. I was talking about embarkation on HAL. One of the first super-useful tips I learned on this board was the embarkation luncheon ("Mariner luncheon" back them), and I've stayed away from the Lido on embarkation day since them.

• Like 1

On 12/20/2019 at 5:11 PM, kazu said:

How late is the check out and more importantly, how is this going to impact those who are boarding????  

Celebrity didn’t have rooms ready when we boarded last time but that was a while ago.

I much prefer HAL’s availability of rooms when you board and, frankly, I don’t see the big deal to be off by 9 - 9:45 AM.

Once the cruise is over, it’s over IMO and I have no wish to put strain on crew members trying to deal with turnaround day.  JMO

It's been a little while but IIRC we had to  be out of the X room by 8 a.m.  HAL is much more lenient in vacating.   We try to do so as early as possible so the stewards have as much time as possible to turn around the rooms.    My experience is HAL is more guest friendly overall.....except for the loyalty perks.

An interesting idea, but with a major limitation if the ship is in a USA port.  CBP requires the "zeroing out" of cruise ships before embarkation can begin.  Since most cruise lines start embarkation by 11:30 they would need to have the late disembarkers off the vessel by around 11..or make alternative arrangements with CBP (i.e. having that group of passengers cleared onboard).  

MSC actually has late disembarkation as a matter of course, even in the USA.  This is even more true in their Yacht Club where we do not need to disembark before 10:30.   They do require us to vacate our cabin, but the Yacht Club has a lovely expansive private lounge (called Top Sail) which becomes the waiting lounge.  While we were waiting, all the services were functional such as drink service, normal morning buffet, etc.  MSC does not charge extra for this service although those in the Yacht Club are already paying a premium (kind of like suites on Celebrity).

Hank

On 12/24/2019 at 4:58 PM, iancal said:

.  One thing for certain....if this proves to be popular and profitable other cruise lines will follow. 

I agree with you on this one.  If it works it would be another way to increase revenue for the cruise line.  Let Celebrity work out the kinks.

I can  explain how it works on Celebrity as we just actually took advantage on this new excursion offering 3 weeks ago.     

We were on the Eclipse disembarking in Santiago Dec 6th early.   With a late flight to Miami (9:30 pm) we were able to stay later and avoid a long travel day and still keep all perks alive while having access to much of the ship.   It was great.  It felt like we had the run of the ship,   first access to lunch buffet at 11:30 .Cafe Baccio..etc..etc..    Plenty of peace and quiet too as we got ready for the long flight home by relaxing in an uncrowded Solarium surfing the net or snoozing.   

What a great way to disembark versus the usual cattle call......

Here are some of the facts...

We never stepped off the ship.   We were issued Visitor tags and did a u-turn at the gangway.

Our baggage was tagged and dropped off at 10pm with all other passengers the night before.

Baggage was curbside waiting for us when our airport transfer arrived at the airport.

We packed a day bag to get us through the extended stay on the ship. No problem.

We asked to meet in the MDR around 9:30 to isolate and check us in,  and we had to wait for clearance before we could actually have the run of the ships available areas, including the buffet.

We never felt like we were impeding incoming guests as there is plenty of room on the Solstice class ships.

It was great to really relax until the coordinated airport transfer bus was ready around 3:00.

A very well managed process by Celebrity and we felt it was really worth the small cost.

The estimate for 10% of the ship made by a previous poster was very accurate.  About two busloads made the trip when all was said and done.   

It's not practical for every cruise passenger and depends largely on the port location and timing.   

It seems like a winner and I wouldn't be surprised if other cruiselines follow suit or already do this.

Edited by JRG
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

We've cruised on Celebrity, and they won't let us in the rooms until 1 or 2 pm.  So, we're dragging our carry-ons everywhere.  Having been on a few B2B, especially Port Everglades, they make you clear the ship, and wait in the terminal until they decide to let you clear customs.  Then you have to find your luggage and drag it to the designated spot before they let you board.  Another long line. 

I think it would work better if they included the special Valet luggage service, so we didn't have to claim our luggage twice.  I'm also wondering how many taxis would be available.  We once had the taxi threaten to drop my bags on the curb when we learned the porter had lost a bag.  But, I'd think the taxis would be happy with another fare after dropping off the incoming cruisers.

Also the FLL airport, not fun.  Once we got there too early, and they wouldn't even let us check our bags.

I'm not saying absolutely not.  It depends on the circumstances of flight, hotel, ship.  But most likely we'll plan ahead like we always do, but unexpected things happen, and they're offering this option on the ship.

Edited by knittinggirl

2 hours ago, JRG said:

The estimate for 10% of the ship made by a previous poster was very accurate.  About two busloads made the trip when all was said and done.   

I just googled and the Eclipse holds around 2800 pax.  A Greyhound type bus holds 55 pax.  So if 2 buses were filled, that is 110 people.  That's closer to, and a bit lower than, 5% of the ship's pax.

And a HUGE thank you for your first hand report of this.  The more I hear about it, the more I hope HAL is able to offer some form of it in the future. 👍

• Like 1

After my last HAL post-cruise tour in Ft. Lauderdale, where the tour guide was basically a shill for Waste Management and its CEO, I would gladly pay $79 to stay on the ship longer.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, knittinggirl said:

We've cruised on Celebrity, and they won't let us in the rooms until 1 or 2 pm.  So, we're dragging our carry-ons everywhere.  Having been on a few B2B, especially Port Everglades, they make you clear the ship, and wait in the terminal until they decide to let you clear customs.  Then you have to find your luggage and drag it to the designated spot before they let you board.  Another long line. 

I think it would work better if they included the special Valet luggage service, so we didn't have to claim our luggage twice.  I'm also wondering how many taxis would be available.  We once had the taxi threaten to drop my bags on the curb when we learned the porter had lost a bag.  But, I'd think the taxis would be happy with another fare after dropping off the incoming cruisers.

Also the FLL airport, not fun.  Once we got there too early, and they wouldn't even let us check our bags.

I'm not saying absolutely not.  It depends on the circumstances of flight, hotel, ship.  But most likely we'll plan ahead like we always do, but unexpected things happen, and they're offering this option on the ship.

Are you saying that on a B2B, you had to pack and have your luggage off the ship just like people leaving the ship at the end of their cruise? Making everyone leave the ship and wait for the "zero count" is a US rule, so you can't blame the cruise line for that. But I didn't think your luggage had to be part of the process. 

3 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Are you saying that on a B2B, you had to pack and have your luggage off the ship just like people leaving the ship at the end of their cruise? Making everyone leave the ship and wait for the "zero count" is a US rule, so you can't blame the cruise line for that. But I didn't think your luggage had to be part of the process. 

We are on a B2B2B cruise in March/April. I am going to call Holland and ask about this. I will state we are in the same SY Cabin. Maybe people on B2B that do not have the same cabin the 2nd sailing would in fact need to pack and move out. Regardless, I'm calling!

4 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

We are on a B2B2B cruise in March/April. I am going to call Holland and ask about this. I will state we are in the same SY Cabin. Maybe people on B2B that do not have the same cabin the 2nd sailing would in fact need to pack and move out. Regardless, I'm calling!

OKAY... False alarm. You don't have to pack up if you are staying in the same stateroom. Just got off the phone with Happy HAL Rep.

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Sorry for the confusion.   No packing and unpacking.

On Serenade of the Seas, we went from Quebec to FLL then stayed on the ship and did a Southern Caribbean.

On turnaround day, we must have surrendered our passports, because I remember getting them back.  First, wait in a lounge, and they had us all go ashore.  Then we waited in the port terminal, for them to call our names, then they gave us back our passports.    Painfully slow process.  We finally were allowed back on the ship before the incoming passengers.

On both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, they won't let passengers into their rooms right away.  We had to do a lot of dragging our luggage around the ship while making our various reservations for Specialty Dining, Shore Ex, etc.

Just saying, there's a certain amount of waiting whenever there's a customs practice.

Once we had the fun of a delayed disembark, because they used a terminal for the larger ships, and they had a problem moving the luggage to the claim area.

The only time we didn't go through craziness was on the Legend of the Seas.  We had turn around day in Copenhagen, and they slipped our new seapass cards under the door.  Wish all B2Bs were that easy.

Edited by knittinggirl

As far as I know, you don't need to pack unless you're changing rooms.  That's why we always insist on the same room on B2B (or we don't book).  With a room change, I've heard you must pack your luggage and they move it for you.  I think they'll move the clothes hanging in the closet.  But all the stuff needs to come out of the drawers.