Celebrity offering late check out on disembarkation day

wesport

Years ago, some genius in the HAL Corporate Office came up with an idea to: 1) Let passengers stay later in their cabins on debark day, and 2) Still have cabins ready for embark at 11:30.

How do they do it?

1) Cabin stewards do some of the minor cleaning of your cabin the day before you depart.

2) HAL purchased additional sets of linens, so cabin stewards could have them ready to go before the last day of the cruise.

3) Some of the cabin cleaning normally done on turnaround day is now done on the 2nd or 3rd day of the new cruise.

All of this was very successful. But then another Corporate Genius decided to increase the number of cabins each steward had to clean. This effectively sabotaged the program to have cabins ready by 11:30.

The solution? Assign the Bar staff to assist in cabin cleaning. Not a bad idea, since the bars are not very busy on turnaround morning. The bar staff were not very excited about this extra work, but they had no choice.

But USPH had a different view of this. Bar Staff are "Food Handlers". 

Food Handlers are not supposed to handle dirty cabin linen or get involved in bathroom cleaning.

HAL promised USPH that the bar staff would only handle clean cabin linen and nothing else.

USPH accepted this explanation, but was not very happy with it.

What do you think?

Next time you embark a HAL ship at 11:30, and your cabin is ready, head up to the bar for a drink.

As you watch the barman handling your drink ingredients with his bare hands, ask yourself - and him - where his hands were an hour ago, and has he washed them recently.

3 hours ago, ArnoldDonald said:

But then another Corporate Genius decided to increase the number of cabins each steward had to clean.

For the first few years of our cruising one steward handled 14 or 15 cabins. Now each team of 2 stewards have about 30 cabins. Same amount of work per man, just spread over more territory.

On 12/21/2019 at 10:45 AM, twodjs said:

No. First non-stop leaves 5:30 or later. We've had this same problem many times.

Same here.  The only non stop flights for us didn't leave until 5:30pm.  We used luggage express and spent the day on Ft Lauderdale Beach.

For  all the reasons already stated, this makes a VERY good reason to NOT sail  "X" 

While I have not sailed  "X" for a number of years,   this seals  the deal  I'll not sail them any time  soon.  If they are so greedy to grab a few more dollars in this way..  what else are they doing to  grab more and/or  not  spend on??

Bad idea,  IMO

;

Cruise lines are a business, not a social club catering to a single group of people.

Grabbing dollars???  Isn't that what all cruise lines do, including HAL?  It is all about revenue, profit, and share price.

I have no idea whether this will work well or not, be restricted to a certain number of people, or any other details. Not certain that anyone does as yet.  From our perspective it certainly is an option for us in FLL if we have a late flight. 

One thing, at least Celebrity are not stuck in the same old same old rut and are thinking about rolling our services that might be attractive to some customers.   Unlike some other cruise lines.   Anyone who has spent an extended amount of time in that dumpy FLL airport might feel very differently than those who are able to catch an early flight.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

Calling cruise lines "greedy" for better utilizing under-used public areas on their ships on turn-around day, and offering this at a price already being paid by their guests to outside companies is an unfair representation,  in my opinion. It is a win-win for all those involved. Far better than their poorly thought out "let's charge $10 extra for a second entree" but still adds plenty to their bottom line. Why does that upset you? 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, iancal said:

Cruise lines are a business, not a social club catering to a single group of people.

Grabbing dollars???  Isn't that what all cruise lines do, including HAL?  It is all about revenue, profit, and share price.

I have no idea whether this will work well or not, be restricted to a certain number of people, or any other details. Not certain that anyone does as yet.  From our perspective it certainly is an option for us in FLL if we have a late flight. 

One thing, at least Celebrity are not stuck in the same old same old rut and are thinking about rolling our services that might be attractive to some customers.   Unlike some other cruise lines.   Anyone who has spent an extended amount of time in that dumpy FLL airport might feel very differently than those who are able to catch an early flight.

You may have noticed I  stated  ' IMO"

I do not expect many.  or   any?)  to agree

As  t o money grab, I meant it.  Doesn't every business do all   rhey can think up

to make more $$  ?  Always,  follow the money when  there is a question  🙂

30 minutes ago, twodjs said:

Calling cruise lines "greedy" for better utilizing under-used public areas on their ships on turn-around day, and offering this at a price already being paid by their guests to outside companies is an unfair representation,  in my opinion. It is a win-win for all those involved. Far better than their poorly thought out "let's charge $10 extra for a second entree" but still adds plenty to their bottom line. Why does that upset you? 

I think it, cheesy of HAL and nort worthy ,  In  over 100 cruises, I have never, not once asked for a seond entree and likely  never will, Thus that  cheap  idea of theirs  does not 'upset' me, as you put it.

Most   busineses make their choices and changes predicated o n Money  No?

Edited by sail7seas

Why is it that you consider the $10 extra entree simply "cheezy" (enhances HAL's bottom line) and apparently doesn't bother you, but when Celebrity offers a plan that better uses their underutilized public spaces, you call that greedy, a money grab and "that seals the deal" and you won't sail on them anytime soon. I understand that this is your opinion, but since you are not required to use this option, it does not prevent your use of the public areas, and it would be a benefit to others with late plane flights, why are you so opposed to such an offer? Sorry to prolong this, but I would like to hear logical facts to back up your opinion. 

I’ve had late flights in ports/ next day flight other than Fort Lauderdale and we have taken advantage of it to explore the port we are in or it’s environs with a private transfer and tour knowing that our luggage was safe.

I’m honestly not sure how it would work on a ship with carry on’s and valuables to be watched 24/7.  I don’t find it relaxing on the ship on disembarkation day but each to their own.

I may be in error but I think a number of crew are involved in turnaround day and you have to wonder a) how good the service will be to those staying on and b)  how it will impact those boarding.

If it works for people and doesn’t impact a) or b), no biggie.  But, I worry about b).

• Like 1

I really like this idea.  As @twodjs says, it would be especially good for people with late flights.  And for people who are staying over to catch an early-morning flight the next day -- stay on the ship until the hotel room is ready.   Since we don't live in an embarkation port, both of those scenarios would be applicable to us.  We prefer non-stop flights, and there are not a lot of those available.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’ve had late flights in ports/ next day flight other than Fort Lauderdale and we have taken advantage of it to explore the port we are in or it’s environs with a private transfer and tour knowing that our luggage was safe.

Yes, been there done that.  🙂  But I've explored Fort Lauderdale and its environs as much as I care to.  I like other options.  And as Venn Diagram said, even to have a place to sit a few hours until our hotel room is ready would be great.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m honestly not sure how it would work on a ship with carry on’s and valuables to be watched 24/7.  I don’t find it relaxing on the ship on disembarkation day but each to their own.

That was my first thought, too. Sitting around with my carry-on, especially as a solo, isn't convenient. I couldn't use the pool, because then I'd be carrying a wet bathing suit home.  So I'd be sitting and reading, something I could do anywhere. I'd rather do the day pass at a nice hotel. On the last morning, the cruise feels over and I'm ready to leave the ship. 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Why is it that you consider the $10 extra entree simply "cheezy" (enhances HAL's bottom line) and apparently doesn't bother you, but when Celebrity offers a plan that better uses their underutilized public spaces, you call that greedy, a money grab and "that seals the deal" and you won't sail on them anytime soon. I understand that this is your opinion, but since you are not required to use this option, it does not prevent your use of the public areas, and it would be a benefit to others with late plane flights, why are you so opposed to such an offer? Sorry to prolong this, but I would like to hear logical facts to back up your opinion. 

Why so mean spirited?  Logical facts are not required to have an opinion.  In fact, what people post in this forum is mostly opinion.

• Like 1

Crystal has another approach to this.  People with late flights are taken to a hotel where there are snacks and even a simple brunch buffet and the luggage is either stored on the bus or in the hotel, and people are taken to the airport closer to their departure time.  The transfers are definitely more expensive but much more civilized.

Roy

• Like 2

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

Because I can and have no requirement to say more  than I wish

The guest  who is waiting to embark for the next cruise could well b e delayed if the one in   their cabin  takes their sweet'ole time about leaving and the steward has to  clean whatever mess they leave behind before a new guest can have use of the cabin they have booked.

Please understand the concept - ALL guests must vacate their cabins at the NORMAL time. ALL must exit the ship (to zero out the ship). Once the ship is cleared, the extended stay guests can return JUST TO THE PUBLIC AREAS and have use of those areas until 90 minutes before the ship leaves. All luggage has been cleared by authorities and is stored on the dock in a secure area. This gives people who have no choice but a late plane flight home, a chance to relax a bit more back on the ship rather than spending their money at a hotel for a day pass or being stuck in the airport for 9 HOURS! Sorry if this doesn't make sense to you. 

Sorry twodjs, it does not make sense to me either. The end of your cruise should be docking plus ex amount of time to disembark. I just want to share my first cruise day with fellow passengers I'm actually going to cruise with. Embarkation is rushed enough without dealing with passengers hanging around waiting for their late flights. 

Luckily, it's only proposed on Celebrity, so sailing on HAL it's a non issue. Those that want a late shipboard checkout will just have to book Celebrity for now. Yay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, twodjs said:

Please understand the concept - ALL guests must vacate their cabins at the NORMAL time. ALL must exit the ship (to zero out the ship). Once the ship is cleared, the extended stay guests can return JUST TO THE PUBLIC AREAS and have use of those areas until 90 minutes before the ship leaves. All luggage has been cleared by authorities and is stored on the dock in a secure area. This gives people who have no choice but a late plane flight home, a chance to relax a bit more back on the ship rather than spending their money at a hotel for a day pass or being stuck in the airport for 9 HOURS! Sorry if this doesn't make sense to you. 

I have now had  quite enough  , sufficient  !  

15 hours ago, twodjs said:

Thanks for again explaining how it is handled.  It makes perfect sense to me, and we would probably take advantage of it, if HAL ever institutes it.

15 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I just want to share my first cruise day with fellow passengers I'm actually going to cruise with. Embarkation is rushed enough without dealing with passengers hanging around waiting for their late flights. 

Maybe they could put orange collars or leashes on us, so the boarding passengers could avoid us  😉  (that's mostly a joke 😉 )  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Sorry twodjs, it does not make sense to me either. The end of your cruise should be docking plus ex amount of time to disembark. I just want to share my first cruise day with fellow passengers I'm actually going to cruise with. Embarkation is rushed enough without dealing with passengers hanging around waiting for their late flights. 

Luckily, it's only proposed on Celebrity, so sailing on HAL it's a non issue. Those that want a late shipboard checkout will just have to book Celebrity for now. Yay.

Just curious, how do you spend that day (especially in FLL)?  Are you one of the lucky ones who has a choice of earlier flights than some of us?  I've done the tours, done the sitting in the airport ALL day, rented a car and drove around and gotten a hotel for the night.   This would be a nice option IMO.

Not sure why embarking passengers would have to "deal with passengers hanging around".  When I'm embarking the last thing I notice is what other passengers are doing, I'm way too busy that day.  IF I ever took advantage of this offer, I wouldn't be hassling embarking passengers, I would be sitting quietly in an out of the way corner not bothering anyone.  😉  

Edited by Cruising-along
  • Like 1