Exactly what is a future cruise credit?

rentlady

The Future Cruise Deposit is a "win-win". The $100 you pay becomes the deposit for a future cruise. Of course, it means you still have to pay the 'saving' on the deposit when you pay the balance. The biggest advantage is the gift of on-board credit ranging from $15 to $125, the amount depending on the length of the cruise and the category of cabin. If you don't use the FCD in the next two years, the purchase price will be refunded.

There really isn't any advantage in using more than one FCD deposit. You will not get extra OBC.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

The Future Cruise Deposit is a "win-win". The $100 you pay becomes the deposit for a future cruise. Of course, it means you still have to pay the 'saving' on the deposit when you pay the balance. The biggest advantage is the gift of on-board credit ranging from $15 to $125, the amount depending on the length of the cruise and the category of cabin. If you don't use the FCD in the next two years, the purchase price will be refunded.

There really isn't any advantage in using more than one FCD deposit. You will not get extra OBC.

+1 Well explained.

The only issue we had when we purchased 6 FCDs, 3 for each of us, on a recent UK cruise was that we didn't purchase enough of them! Since they only cost $100 each and are fully refundable if not used with 2 years, it's kind of a let down when you run out of them and see another cruise you want to book.  So when we go on our cruise next month we plan on buying 8 more, 4 for each of us, just so we don't run out. 😉

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rentlady said:

What are the advantages of purchasing these? Is there a limit and can I redeem several at one time?

Future Cruise Deposits or Future Cruise Credits?  Grapau27 explained the FCD's pretty well, but if you're talking about the gift cards that you can buy at some locations (Fred Meyer, Target, etc.)  then yes, there is an advantage to those also. For example, if you have a Target credit card and you buy a $100 Princess Gift card using that card, you will only pay $95 for it but you will get a full $100 value put on your stateroom account if you use it on a ship or if you've got a cruise already reserved you can use the gift card to pay off $100 of the bill. Not much of a savings but hey, it's $5 in your pocket!  There may be larger value cards ($500?) also, I don't know.  Just started seeing the $100's at my local store.

Tom

12 hours ago, rentlady said:

What are the advantages of purchasing these? Is there a limit and can I redeem several at one time? 

No advantage. You can only receive one related OBC per passenger when using an FCD to place a deposit. While you can use an additional FCD as an additional payment for your cruise it will not come with any OBC.

Remember that FCD's are individual. If you are a couple then when you are on board you need to purchase at least one in each person's name to cover future deposits for each. We try to have 3 or 4 each in our account.

One other thing to remember, is the future cruise credits are charged to your credit card on file and not to your shipboard account. You will get an email confirmation for each credit purchased. FCC's are easy to purchase once on board using the Medallion Class app or at the FCC desk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarelessAndConfused said:

How do you apply them if you are booking though an online TA?

A TA, online or otherwise, has the ability to apply an FCD to a booking...likely will unless you tell him not to.  

If it is overlooked you will know because he will be asking you for a large deposit....at which point you can email or otherwise let him know you would like your FCD applied to your booking.

• Like 1

An actual FCC is generally something Princess grants.  If you have purchased FCD's, your Captain's Circle account will indicate the minimum potential future benefit.  A FCD is one type of FCC.  Princess may grant a FCC if they cancel a cruise you are booked on well into the future (seems like $15 is the popular amount).  If you accept a downgrade offer or move-over offer then you will find Princess sets up the amount you are refunded as a FCC which gets applied when you re-book. 

When a FCD is applied to a cruise, you earn various amounts of OBC, which will be posted in your Cruise Personalizer.  Your Captain's Circle account also has a summary of current earned OBC and the potential earnings from unapplied FCD's.  Similar with other FCC amounts AFAIK (we have only had the $15/pp one for a cancelled cruise).

21 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The only issue we had when we purchased 6 FCDs, 3 for each of us, on a recent UK cruise was that we didn't purchase enough of them! Since they only cost $100 each and are fully refundable if not used with 2 years, it's kind of a let down when you run out of them and see another cruise you want to book.  So when we go on our cruise next month we plan on buying 8 more, 4 for each of us, just so we don't run out. 😉

Feel your pain. I'm out again 😔 I typically only kept 2 on reserve but forgot to get 1 when getting off 3-Dec-19 and already booked 2 cruises after 'cruise ship withdrawal.'  Getting 3 in March

• Like 1

The downside to Future Cruise Deposits (FCD) is that if you use it on a non-refundable fare/promo and need to cancel before final payment, you lose the FCD which is $100. I booked a year in advance for a cruise (Mexican Riviera) with a non-refundable deposit and due to an unanticipated event taking place at the same time, I had to cancel. I asked to change it to another Mexican Riviera cruise on another week, but the deposit restrictions were that the deposit was also non-transferable, so I lost the $100 FCD. I did not rebook with Princess (went with NCL refundable $50 deposit Mexican Riviera cruise). Just be mindful of this when booking way in advance, particularly fares that include non-refundable deposits. Life happens.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I agree on buying more. Our plan was to buy several in 2017 unfortunately the DW was hurt and we cancelled. That left us with only one each as we had not bought any on the last cruise knowing we would get them a few months later. We ended up using them up in less than a month re-planning. We also track the dates for make sure we have enough on hand that will not expire. If they are close to expiring, we will book a cruise we are interested in out over a year and if something comes up earlier, we can transfer it.

• Like 1

What happens when you run out, subsequently book a few cruises without them and then purchase some more FCDs on your next cruise? I'm thinking if you want to add FCDs to those cruises, you will need to cancel and then rebook them, if it makes economical sense to do so.

If I'm correct, how long do you have to wait after canceling an applicable cruise to rebook, or is there any other way to get the FCDs applied to an existing booking so you can reap the FCD OBC benefits?   

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

What happens when you run out, subsequently book a few cruises without them and then purchase some more FCDs on your next cruise? I'm thinking if you want to add FCDs to those cruises, you will need to cancel and then rebook them, if it makes economical sense to do so.

If I'm correct, how long do you have to wait after canceling an applicable cruise to rebook, or is there any other way to get the FCDs applied to an existing booking so you can reap the FCD OBC benefits?   

FCD's can be added to an existing booking and you will receive the OBC...but you have already paid a standard deposit, so you will not get that back and the $100 value of your FCD will be added to your existing deposit.  And, as already commented, using more than one FCD on a booking is counterproductive.

If you add an FCD to a booking with a NRD...then cancel the  booking...both the first deposit and the FCD ($100) go bye bye.

Edited by thinfool

22 minutes ago, thinfool said:

FCD's can be added to an existing booking and you will receive the OBC...but you have already paid a standard deposit, so you will not get that back and the $100 value of your FCD will be added to your existing deposit.  And, as already commented, using more than one FCD on a booking is counterproductive.

If you add an FCD to a booking with a NRD...then cancel the  booking...both the first deposit and the FCD ($100) go bye bye.

That is GREAT NEWS!! We were previously under the impression we could only add them when we book a new cruise. But if we can add FCDs to an existing cruise, that will eliminate our concern about having to rebook our 2022 cruise on the Discovery, especially if the price goes up before we have a chance to add them. Thanks!!

2 hours ago, thinfool said:

Have the FCD rules changed since 2016? I found a 2016 CC thread which noted that you cannot add a FCD to an existing booking, only to a new booking. I'm just trying to find out if the poster got it wrong back then or have the rules changed?

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

That is GREAT NEWS!! We were previously under the impression we could only add them when we book a new cruise. But if we can add FCDs to an existing cruise, that will eliminate our concern about having to rebook our 2022 cruise on the Discovery, especially if the price goes up before we have a chance to add them. Thanks!!

3 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Have the FCD rules changed since 2016? I found a 2016 CC thread which noted that you cannot add a FCD to an existing booking, only to a new booking. I'm just trying to find out if the poster got it wrong back then or have the rules changed?

Don't let yourself be side-tracked.  You only earn OBC benefit by applying a FCD to a new booking.  If you cancel one with no FCD in order to re-book, then fine.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Exactly!  (As I posted before, you could go and apply FCD's anytime you like to any booking, but you only earn OBC with the first FCD applied to a new booking.  It is pretty simple rule).

Edited by steelers36
  • Like 1

The moral to all this is to have FCDs in your account at all times for that impulsive reservation of a future cruise.  Since FCDs will be returned to you if you don't use them in 2 years, there is not much risk if you decide not to go on Princess again.  We keep at least two FCDs in each of our accounts.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Question about FCD.  If I have some FCD's on my account, does it get utilized if I book with the big box travel agency?  Or do you need to book directly with Princess to use the FCD and also get the OBC?  I booked a Mexico cruise for Jan 2021 with FCD but could have gotten the same perk & pricing through the big box.  The big box also offered a coupon book and a cash card.

Thanks!

On 12/23/2019 at 2:19 AM, rentlady said:

No advantage to redeeming more than one on a specific cruise.  The reason to have several in the bag is if you book multiple cruises in a short period.  We booked 3 cruises recently for the "Best Sale Ever".  We used our final 3 FCDs and will gain $600 in OBC as a result. 

We are out of FCDs now.  We will purchase 4 more each on our end Mar Carib cruise and stock up again.

I am amused by all the people that have failed to answer the question!

A Future Cruise Credit is a form of compensation awarded by Princess Cruise Lines.

It is typically issued when a cruise is cancelled or shortened due to a problem encountered by a Princess Cruise Lines ship and will be equal to a percentage of fare that can be applied to a future cruise..

For example one 10 day cruise I took was shortened by 2 days.

They awarded "each guest who sails will receive a Future Cruise Credit equal to 30% of the original cruise fare paid on this voyage. The credit may be applied to any future Princess cruise booked xxxxxxxx".

(In addition in this instance they also refunded 2 days fare and gave every passenger 300 USD refundable on board credit and changed flights etc. for people that used EZair)