Will tips go up like Celebrity?

phabric

Celebrity is increasing their tips after January 6, 2021.

standard cabin from $14.50 to $15.50

concierge and aqua from $15 to $16

suites from $18 to $19

Wondering if the other cruises lines will be increasing their tips prices?

Edited by phabric

34 minutes ago, phabric said:

I truly have no idea......but if I had to make a guess, I'd bet yes!

They have more than doubled over the past 15 years - just a dollar at a time, so to not cause any obvious interest - about every 14-16 months, and everyone accepts it.  

And not to argue that the worker bees don't deserve it......but it goes against all traditions of what a "gratutity" is suppose to be.

We've come to realize that we need to factor an additional 20-25% on top of the cruise price to cover tips and parking, which is another topic for another day!

I hope they don't go up anytime soon. They just increased last spring. The previous increased occurred in December 2016. It's an effective 12 percent increase since we paid $12.95 per person per day in regular cabins. If the increase had just kept up with inflation, we'd be paying $13.88 per day per person in regular cabins and mini suites and $14.95 per day per person in suites.

3 hours ago, geoherb said:

I hope they don't go up anytime soon. They just increased last spring. The previous increased occurred in December 2016. It's an effective 12 percent increase since we paid $12.95 per person per day in regular cabins. If the increase had just kept up with inflation, we'd be paying $13.88 per day per person in regular cabins and mini suites and $14.95 per day per person in suites.

And that is the big question-does the increase of 12percent match the increase in inflation?  Does the crew base earnings decline in relation to the increase in guest gratuities rates?   And how does the US rate of inflation have any relationship to the crew's home country inflation.  Just something to think about.

• Like 1

They have never gone up, only their suggestion increases. You control what you want to do and can go to guest services and adjust them to whatever you feel is appropriate.  I personally don't think the newer 4 tiers of increasing amounts  is appropriate and is a money grab. There used to be 2 tiers, all cabins and suites which suggested different amounts. 

Edited by cruzsnooze

36 minutes ago, gadaboutgal said:

And that is the big question-does the increase of 12percent match the increase in inflation?  Does the crew base earnings decline in relation to the increase in guest gratuities rates?   And how does the US rate of inflation have any relationship to the crew's home country inflation.  Just something to think about.

I would think the auto gratuity amount is more related to what crew members can earn by signing contracts with other cruise lines then any other factor. If you want to retain a trained crew you have to keep their compensation comparable with other lines. I think inflation rates have little to do with decisions.

27 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

Probably no need for increase in dollar amount ... cruiselines xan rebrand this fee as Hotel Svc Charge or Resort Fee AND make it nandatory and non-removable ... likely yield more cash than increase       

NCL did this a while back ..... they call it a "Daily Service Charge" and they currently charge $15/day for standard rooms.  NCL also add 20% gratuity to all bar, specialty dining and Spa Charges ....

The rest are and will continue to follow - just like the airlines and hotel companies!

8 hours ago, phabric said:

suites from $18 to $19

I always wonder why people post questions such as this. Gratuities will either go up or not go up. Likely they will be increased again in the future. Why ask about it here? Why worry about it? If they go up folks will either pay and cruise or not. It's a moot point.

1 hour ago, vampiress said:

doesn't bother me any if they go up, makes sense.  i'd rather they make them mandatory and a part of the cruise fare as advertised, but *shrug* 

I would also prefer that there were none as a separate charge but that it is built into the price of the cruise.

The gratuities will invariably go up as always.  The question is when.  For my part the gratuity should be either included in the price of the cruise and not listed or added to the cruise expense as an added line item similar to the taxes and port charges.  If anyone wants to tip beyond this, they are free to do so but should not be able to reduce or eliminate the fixed gratuity.  I don't expect an increase in the near future but it is coming.

20 hours ago, phabric said:

suites from $18 to $19

Of course they will but if you tip in addition to that schedule, like we do, you can always reduce the "extra portion" accordingly if you feel the need.

5 hours ago, pablo222 said:

Can this be 'cancelled' by passengers?   ...as it can be on Princess.

not onboard - you must pay it and If you wish to adjust the DSC they have you fill out a post cruise form explaining why, then you email it to corporate, and then they reimburse your cc for the adjustment. Takes several weeks (anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks)

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

9 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

not onboard - you must pay it and If you wish to adjust the DSC they have you fill out a post cruise form explaining why, then you email it to corporate, and then they reimburse your cc for the adjustment. Takes several weeks (anywhere from 4 to 12 weeks)

Thank you for the reply.

16 hours ago, satxdiver said:

The gratuities will invariably go up as always.  The question is when.  For my part the gratuity should be either included in the price of the cruise and not listed or added to the cruise expense as an added line item similar to the taxes and port charges.  If anyone wants to tip beyond this, they are free to do so but should not be able to reduce or eliminate the fixed gratuity.  

We are in absolute agreement here!

Edited by RMMariner

21 hours ago, satxdiver said:

If anyone wants to tip beyond this, they are free to do so but should not be able to reduce or eliminate the fixed gratuity. 

I agree completely.

Reading posts by people who simply cancel tips because they can nauseats me.

I think, in general, crew works really hard.

I am happy to pay my fair share, as that is the way the system works.

I am not happy to subsidise the freeloaders.

It's odd that many of the freeloaders come from countries where hotels add a daily 'service charge' to hotel rooms...

• Like 1

Would a $/day increase, $14/cabin make you cancel a one week cruise??  Would you want your family members do those jobs - long hours, long tours away from home, living in cramped quarters with little free time, to be able to send most of what you earn and receive in tips home to support a family that you don't get to see for months at a time ???

They are expected to do those jobs with a smile and cater to so many strangers every week, so that we all enjoy a week or more expecting to be pampered by all the crew, and then get stiffed !!   Be happy that tgey sign on to serve us, pay the auto-tips and give them something more to show that you enjoyed your vacation and appreciated their service.  Or go camping in a tent at a park and serve yourselves.

The remuneration arrangements should be between an employee and their employer. I am offended when I am required to become piggy in the middle in any such an arrangement.

Fortunately, in Australia and NZ the full fare, taxes, fees and gratuities are rolled up into one package and I don't have to care about it when cruising locally. So it can be done. In the rest of the world it should be done. However it will never be done, as cruise lines find it advantageous to obfuscate their remuneration practices as much as possible.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

1 hour ago, SinbadThePorter said:

The remuneration arrangements should be between an employee and their employer. I am offended when I am required to become piggy in the middle in any such an arrangement.

Fortunately, in Australia and NZ the full fare, taxes, fees and gratuities are rolled up into one package and I don't have to care about it when cruising locally. So it can be done. In the rest of the world it should be done. However it will never be done, as cruise lines find it advantageous to obfuscate their remuneration practices as much as possible.

Details please.