List for butler

Veinless

We make a list - but not like that!  We have a  list on the computer almost from when we get back from the last cruise of things we wish we had done better.  So things like... note to self..you do not need more pairs of shoes than nights on board.  (something I will fail at next time just as I have done the last hundred or so...)   Or from our last cruise... don't buy a presentation gift for someone which contains a knife.  It gets opened and confiscated at security....

But it also inlcudes notes on things we discovered - and even after a long time cruising there are always things to discover.  Things that go into country specific folders for excursions of things we didn't do but sounded good etc.  And in the weeks leading up to the shoreside call we do start a "note to self" list of what we need to tell them.  Split the beds (if on a ship where this is possible - it isn't always) Double towels (we all have long hair..) Synthetic pillows on one bed. What drinks in the mini bar is in an RS.  We always ask for the entire trip menus for Luminae and MDR to be put in the suite.  That way we can plan our specilaity nights so we don't miss a favourite dish.  And we do like the afternoon snack platter.

But we don't give the poor butler a written list.  We do use them - but not (I hope) more than reaosnable.  The occasional breakfast.  Laundry.  Occasional reservations if we haven't done them ourselves.

Last cruise we had Natalia (Silhouette October 13th).  She was fabulous!  Even, on coming in to check turn down and discovering I had not yet gone to dinner - she helped me fix my hair.  I had been struggling to get it up into a particular design.  (Its like reverse parking - if you get it wrong the first time its a pest to get right!)  Even DH had lost patience and gone down.   2 minutes and she had it fixed.  Not a butler service I would have requested - but massively appreciated!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

A list sounds tacky indeed

I really don’t agree!

Whilst most of the time our shoreside concierge requests have gone through we have had two cruises where only the spirit request had arrived. Our butler really appreciated a list of our mini bar, pillow requests etc...Each butler we have had has been pleased to be given a list of the date/time of our speciality dining requests, it makes his checking much easier...

As mentioned in my previous post our ‘list’ is more or less a copy of our email to the shoreside concierge. The butler clearly know what we want/don’t want...There are many posts on CC where guests complain that they have had inattentive butlers, I often think those guests simply haven’t made it clear to the butler things they may like daily or once or twice per cruise. Perhaps if these guests had made a list for the butler they would have enjoyed their cruise more and the butler would not be wondering why he had been scored low (damaging to his career path)....

I would not describe us as ‘high maintenance’, we rarely dine in suite, frequently get coffee for ourselves, rarely entertain...however, we do like to have a butler at times do things for us! It is a perk of suite cruising. 

If you don’t need/ask for anything that is fine but if putting a list together may help you plan your suite experience and possibly help the butler then, like us, make one! Our list is not made to overwork the butler it is simply an aid to communication. 

4 hours ago, PhoenixCruiser said:

Our butler seemed to pick up on things we enjoyed and made sure they were available for us.

Well you were lucky! Whilst many butlers are good at anticipating needs not all butlers are clairvoyant...If I was a butler I would rather be told by a guest what they wanted rather than ‘guess’ and hope I got the level of service right...

Not all suite guests will want or need to made a list for their butler but those of us who do are genuinely just trying to make the butler’s life easier and I think butlers appreciate that.

Edited by chemmo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/31/2019 at 1:04 AM, Veinless said:

I recall finding a very nice list that someone had prepared for their butler, outlining their desires. Can’t find it any more - if you do something similar please share! I’d like to help our butler make our cruise memorable.

So far I’ve come up with the following:

- Small bottles of san pelligrino daily
- Latte or flat white or cafe macchiato every morning at 7am, along with assorted pastries
- Cheese / salami / bread platter daily at 3pm

... and that’s it!

Is the world going backwards.

I thoght the slave / master era was long gone.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

Not about that...about communication...

You don’t feel guilty asking a bar man to pour you a drink or a room attendant to make your bed...The role of the butler is to ‘butler’...

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, chemmo said:

Not about that...about communication...

You don’t feel guilty asking a bar man to pour you a drink or a room attendant to make your bed...The role of the butler is to ‘butler’...

Not about communication but about treating people as equals.

The butlers are there to make sure things run smoothly, not running around pampering to some "entitled" person as if they were in Downtown Abbey.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, G.M.T. said:

The butlers are there to make sure things run smoothly, not running around pampering to some "entitled" person as if they were in Downtown Abbey.

Things will run smoothly if communication is good...The butlers job is easier if guests clearly express their needs/wants.

If you explain to your bar server you would only like a splash of tonic and no lemon in your Martini you are not being ‘entitled’ or being ‘pampered’ you are expressing your preference just as a suite guest like the OP may ask for a specific coffee at 7am. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

Your comment is presuming that the poster is not paying for the service...

bon voyage

• Like 5

1 hour ago, G.M.T. said:

Actually, it is not about DA, it is about paying for a service to which one is "entitled" to receive.

Now, if this offends some passengers sensibilities, so be it and they do not have to avail themselves of the service or that level of cabin... No problem at all..

bon voyage

• Like 3

Speaking as someone who sails in suites fairly often, I think the issues here are ones of degree.

Handing a butler a long list with specific requests, some of them potentially out of the ordinary and time consuming, is nothing like having them deliver your breakfast (or asking for a dining reservation or for a splash of tonic in a martini).

I think I remember the list that the OP was citing (and wanted to recreate) was an homage to excess and entitlement.   I also seem to remember that it also caused some backlash here on CC.  

Quite simply, there are pax who make life exceedingly difficult for the butlers.  It only takes one or two with extensive and time consuming requests that cause service to decline for their other dozen pax (as well as raise the stress level of the staff).

• Like 4

ECCruise:

Your posts could have been taken off my computer screen.  I complement you on your brilliant thoughtfulness and the clarity of your wise messages.😉

We too make few requests of the cabin staff (they are not our staff per se, but ship staff who provide services for other passengers as well), therefore when we do ask for something, these requests are nearly always met with a smile and prompt execution.

I don't know where the line is on service requests made to the butlers who take care of the passengers in the suites.  My wife and I are well aware that the service we received has been negatively impacted by the daily and near constant demands of just one other cabin.  While good communication undoubtedly does make the system work optimally, each and every request we suite passengers make adds to the overall load on the system.

There is a ripple effect on the service system when only one passenger creates an environment of entitlement, the pressure does not effect merely the one butler.  This is not to say that the idea of a list and its submission suggested by OP of this thread has crossed an invisible and movable line, however the list concept does tread closely, and could easy cross such a line that will impact not only the cruise in question, it could impact all cruisers in suite class in upcoming cruises. 

Edited by cruisefam38
  • Like 3

We really enjoy the Butler Service (although we have never asked for assistance with unpacking - need to know where things are (LOL)).

For us, we have asked the Butler:

• Assist with Specialty Dining Reservations
  • Coordinate a Sail-Away in our stateroom (they usually provide canapes, shrimp platter, etc.)
  • Other special requests (as they arise)

Hope this helps

On 12/31/2019 at 11:19 AM, sdnich said:

On our last cruise we had Mudit on the equinox for a B2B in two separate rooms. we were very happy to have them on the second room considering we had to move just four doors away. Next cruise will be an aqua class and I’m sure will have a great room attendant but he won’t be Mudit😁

We also had Mudit on the Equinox.   We didn’t demand or ask for much but he was great.   He would always try to please and made a few suggestions or offering of what he could and would do.     

He would see us bringing something back to our cabin and would tell us that he have could got it for us.  He seen us carrying some cookies.   Asked us what kind they were and liked.   There were always cookies in our cabin after that.  We had to tell him not to leave any more.    He also seen us carrying Americanos and asked if we would like to have them in the morning and the time.   We said we really don’t like a setting a time as we might not be awake.   He said to give him a call when ready.  

I actually think if you don’t demand a lot they are more attentive and try to do more.   The main thing is to treat them like a human being and be nice instead of treating  them like a slave.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched
  • Like 4

I prepare a proper list of tasks for the butler, normally not longer than 2 or 3 pages of script.  Then I stamp it with the family wax seal to make it official.  I present it to the servant upon boarding, and explain how we would like to be addressed.  Then I ask to be left alone so I can sit in front of the mirror and look at myself whilst I count my riches.

Edited by Nachosdelux
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, miched said:

We also had Mudit on the Equinox.   We didn’t demand or ask for much but he was great.   He would always try to please and made a few suggestions or offering of what he could and would do.     

He would see us bringing something back to our cabin and would tell us that he could got it for us.  He seen us carrying some cookies.   Asked us what kind they were and liked.   There were always cookies in our cabin after that.  We had to tell him not to leave any more.    He also seen us carrying a Americanos and asked if we would like to have them in the morning and the time.   We said we really don’t like a setting a time as we might not be awake.   He said to give him a call when ready.  

I actually think if you don’t try to make them your slave they will be more attentive and try to do more.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

I miss Mudit and his smile every morning when he would bring us our coffee and breakfast ! We also had great conversations with him when we would see him would it be in the Michaels lounge or when He would stop by our room to either drop something off or just check on us!!

55 minutes ago, gw2fll said:

We really enjoy the Butler Service (although we have never asked for assistance with unpacking - need to know where things are (LOL)).

Hope this helps

Uh oh, I bet the OP just added a 4th request to their Butler's To-Do list.  : )

Unpacking guests' suitcases definitely would have been done for manor guests at Downton Abbey.

I agree that there is a fine line between being open to having your butler 'do their job', and taking advantage of their services.  The time critical requests are a bit much (Flat Whites and assorted pastries @ 7 AM, and Cheese, salami and bread (not crackers) at 4 pm). 

On the other hand, I think it would be fun to ask the butler's help with setting up a romantic gesture like having a chilled bottle of champagne & glasses awaiting in the stateroom at a pre-determined time (along with an early bed turndown, or turning on the safe battery operated candles you brought on-board (wink-wink)).  Or as one poster mentioned, asking for assistance with a cocktail party, or even the woman who asked her female butler for help with her hair.  Those tasks are meaningful and personal.  Asking for timed deliveries IMO are impersonal and a bit pretentious.

10 hours ago, omeinv said:

I think one use of a list can actually make the butler's life easier.  When you're called pre-cruise by the Suite Concierge staff, if you have specific requests, the butler can then have those things already in your suite in advance, which makes things nicer for you, and easier for them, since there will be fewer day one requests to attend to.  If helpful, making yourself a list of things like that can let you make sure you get it all requested in a single phone call.  On a recent cruise a fellow guest had used a list they'd found here on Cruise Critic, and adapted it to their desires.  Then everything they'd asked for was ready and waiting when they boarded.  This freed up the butler to deal with the less prepared. 

Harris

Denver, CO

It is nice to hear how it suppose to work.   I have about given up giving the shore side concierge pre-cruise requests and just tell the butler what I need upon arrival.   He always pulls out a little notebook and writes them down.

My requests are pretty simple -   Extension Cord, 2 Isotonic Pillows and swap bubbly to Chardonnay and bar selections.    In the past 6 cruises the only thing that was arranged was the bar setup.     Out of curiosity I asked the butler if he had received my requests and he said no that they are sent to the Suites Manager.  Hmmm...   maybe just by luck but all my requests are quickly taken care of once on board.

42 minutes ago, Nachosdelux said:

I prepare a proper list of tasks for the butler, normally not longer than 2 or 3 pages of script.  Then I stamp it with the family wax seal to make it official.  I present it to the servant upon boarding, and explain how we would like to be addressed.  Then I ask to be left alone so I can sit in front of the mirror and look at myself whilst I count my riches.

I usually have a list so my husband and I remember depending on the cruise what we might want to request from our butler.  We have never actually given the list to him.  Usually it’s a matter of the butler ASKING US during the initial meeting if we have any request or how we would like our fridge stocked.  On longer cruises I may request extra wire hangers.  We have, on two cruises (both times in a Celebrity suite), been disappointed in our butler service.   Our very minimal request needed to be asked repeatedly.   The two butlers in question have been raved about on CC so we assumed they were swamped with request from other cabins.  We didn’t complain but they didn’t receive the same tip as they would have otherwise.  Hopefully the cabins monopolizing their time tipped appropriately at the end.  We have had stellar butlers that certainly enhanced our cruise experience greatly,  butlers who we had no complaints with but who didn’t go out of their way or anticipate how they could make our cruise special and we have had poor butlers.   However even the cruises with dismal butler service were great.  Butler’s aren’t a make or break factor in our cruise experience.   

• Thanks 1